Start by marking “Screwball: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Screwball: A Novel

Screwball: A Novel

3.05  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Could the curse of the Bambino be over? For too many miserable seasons, the Boston Red Sox have endured nothing but defeatand heartbreak.

Finally, there is hope in the sensational Ron Kane, a strapping rookie pitcher whose fastball scorches the radar gun at an ungodly 110 miles per hour. He can also handle the bat. And play the outfield. With Kane dazzling sellout crowds, t
Published August 10th 2004 by Harper Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Screwball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Screwball

Cameron
Sep 21, 2010 rated it liked it
"Screwball" is David Ferrell's first fiction novel. He's a Pulitzer Prize-winning news writer, and just by reading this book you can tell that he was a sports reporter. The book is based on the Boston Red Sox who are going through a terrible losing streak, until 110mph pitcher Ron Kane joins their team. Anyone who knows baseball knows that a pitcher that can throw 110mph is unheard of, and anyone with a player of that caliber has a shot at winning a championship. Only problem is, Kane is a seria ...more
Jim Leckband
This could have been bad. The scouting report on the author didn't give much of a track record, an unknown quantity in fiction. Sure he could throw fastballs in non-fiction, but discerning readers of fiction can clobber those pitches if they are so obviously over the plate. Ferrell combines one national pastime with another (baseball/serial murder) and throws in a satirical over-the-top humor on top. I actually enjoyed it and wouldn't mind if he makes it a double-header (pun intended for those w ...more
Samantha
Jul 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sports fiction fans; satire fans
I really liked (not loved) this book. I tend to enjoy sports fiction, particularly baseball, so when I saw the cover of this book, I picked it up. The blurb on the back basically gave away the twist, but it was still fun.

At its core, this book is a satire of America's obsession with winning at all costs. At times hilarious, at times maddening, Screwball does a good job of portraying the ruthless immorality of sports executives.

This book is an easy read and made me laugh out loud. I was done with
Peggy
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Note: this book was written before the BoSox really did win the Series.

The Boston Red Sox have not won a World Series in 85 years, The owner, manager, coaches, players live with "the Curse of the Bambino" every day. In Ferrell's black comedy, the Bosox sign a new player from Texas named Kane. He's got a 108mph fastball, he can hit, and he can field. Everyone believes that he's the answer to their prayers. There's just one hitch: Kane is a serial killer. How far would you go to win it all?
Dave
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
The idea of a serial killer killing when a baseball team was in town was an interesting one, as were the questions it raised about how serious we should take winning and how well we know our favorite players or the latest sensation.

The characters never seemed real to me and the action seemed ripped from a soap opera. I would have been happy with fewer twists and turns and more character development.
Michelle
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is about a serial killer following the Red Sox around from town-to-town. I'd call it an uncomfortable sorta guilty pleasure, cuz it makes ya laugh at how crazy some of these managers are, and the extremes they'll go to.

Would make a good movie.
Mike
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it
A really fun book about a all-star Boston Red Sox pitcher who has a secret and just how far the Red Sox staff will go to hide it so they can finally win the world series again. Obviously this was written before the Sox actually won one in '04.
Megan
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-kept-books
I started this book over a year ago. Set it down because it took ages to get into. The beginning seemed very confusing. The last quarter of the book was quite a bit better where everything ties together and begins to make sense. Glad I finished it.
Gsandoval2 sandoval
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm about half way done with this book. I'm a huge baseball fan so this is a good novel that involves baseball and murder and the Boston Red Sox. So far it's a good recommendation for sports/who done it lovers.
Mary
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: baseball cynics
hovered between 2 & 3 stars. black comedy is not my usual thing, it's too cynical. this was good for the genre. i like baseball as mythos.
Shannon P.
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A little bit predictable, but interesting and suspenseful nonetheless.
Kevin Murin
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too many unneeded side plots that had nothing to do with the main plot.
Diane
Oct 11, 2016 added it
A serial murder mystery set within the Red Sox baseball team. A fast paced mystery loaded with a great baseball behind the scenes atmosphere.
Lauren
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read. The curse of the bambino seems finally to have ended for the hated Bosox when their pitching phenom becomes the prime suspect in a serial murder case. A whacky and wonderful novel.
Liz
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How far would you go to win?
Ryan
Jul 16, 2012
Jim
Aug 05, 2014
Billy Hume
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2012