Start by marking “Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life” as Want to Read:
Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life

Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  8,262 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews
'A must-read' MARK MANSON

'Exactly what most of us need in order to focus on what is important, rather than the dazzling, illuminated, unsatisfying distractions of modern life' MATT HAIG

'Masses of really useful arsenal and some very interesting studies about how to be less distracted in the world' PANDORA SYKES

'Now there's a way we can regain our ability to focus' RED
______
Published October 17th 2019 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Indistractable, please sign up.
ryan brown No. Hooked is about habit-forming products. Indistractable is about how to reframe and improve your focus, attention, and relationships.

·  8,262 ratings  ·  1,043 reviews

Start your review of Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
Sean Gibson
Let’s get this out of the way up front: the guy who (literally) wrote the book on making addictive tech writing a guide on how to not get distracted by addictive tech is like someone writing a book on the merits of veganism and then writing a follow-up called “Eating Yummy Baby Cows and Other Ways to Fill Your Cramhole With the Savory Flesh of Delicious, Fluffy Creatures!”

That said, I came into this hoping for a Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking-like exploration o
Emma Sea
ACT theory + time blocking + habit setting + digital minimalism. There. Now you don't need to read it.
Jorge David
Sep 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could have been a blog post. Better off reading Atomic Habits, Deep Work or The Path of Least Resistance.
Elvina Zafril
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pansing
I sometimes when I'm with friends, I constantly checking out my phone. I know my friends were annoyed. HAHAH until I read this book, I can call myself 'phubber' meaning phone snubber.

I loved this book so much. It was really incredible. I loved that this book is relatable in some kind of ways in my personal life.

I am always being distracted by something. I'm so glad I read this book. I can apply all the tips in my daily life. I really enjoyed the section in this book. I'm the type of people who l
Benjamin Azevedo
Too many fillers. Go for Digital Minimalism, instead.

Note to self: always be aware of books that have a lot of good reviews before publishing. Probably friends, fans or people who got the book as a gift.
Lou
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We live in a world where distractions exist around every corner, and I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes procrastinate. It's a timely and pretty important book as the modern age of technology appears to have become like opium to some. So what can we do to become more productive you ask? Well, Stanford Professor Nir Eyal is about to tell us in an understandable, conversational way how to get more done and there is plenty of technical detail included for those of us who enjoy knowing the i ...more
Charles Roels
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was an early reader of the book and was fascinated from beginning to end.
Indistractable is an in-depth, scientifically underpinned, guide on how to take back control of your life and removing distractions that take you away from being present in the moment.
I loved the the very personal elements, for example the superpower story at the beginning and the end, which emphasise the arguments in a very gentle and kind way.
The whole book is very relatable, from a professional point of view, but eq
Valentin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: product
I liked Nir's other book, "Hooked." It is one of my favorite and best product/business books ever (and also useful for non-product people). After "Hooked" taught the whole industry how to build addictive products, Nir is now basically selling the "cure."

The first half of "Indistractable" is ok, and there is some good general idea on "why" you are so easily addicted to your smartphone, Facebook, etc. However, I think I was intuitively trying and applying most of them just because of the knowledg
Mehrsa
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some helpful hints and reminders in here that I will be adopting. I read a lot of books like this but it's amazing how distractions creep back in and you have to remind yourself to take control of your own time.
Alan Stout
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: priority
I am reviewing this book because I received a preliminary copy and think it is a vitally important topic.

How many stars would I give Indistractable? (1-5)

5 out of 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

How would I summarize the book in one sentence?

Live a fulfilling life by becoming aware and controling both the internal and external triggers that constantly bombard me.

What were the most memorable or helpful parts of the book?

Changing some of my beliefs such the reframing of my thinking about will power. (Refuting E
Mario Tomic
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and quick read covering helpful strategies and tactics for effectively managing attention in an ever more distracting world. The tips were backed by research data as well as some interesting anecdotes. The reason why I'm giving it 4/5 because I've heard and applied most of the tactics discussed in the brook. This is not to say that they don't work but I was expecting deeper insights. Having said all of this, I would recommend this book. It's a great read and I also recommend picking up Ho ...more
Rod Moser
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever gone out with friends or family and there is that one guy who is constantly checking out of the conversation and checking into his phone? Super annoying, right? Well, I'm that guy. I didn't realize what it was called until I read Nir Eyal's book but I am a 'phubber' (phone snubber).

As a real estate broker, coach, and father of 6 boys, I am always being distracted by something. I would get anxious every time the phone chirped or beeped or pinged. Was it a client emergency, do my ki
Debbie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok

Like many self-help books, Indistractable is full of both hits and misses.

While there are definitely some interesting and applicable points made (particularly the recommendation to timebox your schedule), most aren’t explored thoroughly enough or feel a little too generic. While there are definitely some benefits to the short-and-sweet approach—easy to digest, quick to read, and memorable sound bites—in this instance it felt light on content and substance... it felt like a drawn out blo
Adriana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
The best part of this entire book was his advice on setting guidelines on tech usage with your kids, partner, and your friends.

The rest was a very high-level introduction to behavioral adaption and change, with easy-to-use pointers to remember at the end of every chapter. It felt very informal, like a webinar or a collection of PowerPoint slides, and less in-depth or researched analysis, like I was hoping.

Also, while the idea of timeboxing is appreciated, the truth is not everyone has the abil
Ryan Newton
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. Hooked was great and I was excited to develop techniques to combat the draw of my phone.

Unfortunately, Indistractable just doesn't deliver. It's composed of 36 very short chapters that are loosely grouped into sections but that never really come together. And the lessons in each chapter mostly rehash generic productivity advice - plan your day, set aside enough time for family, etc.

Ultimately I found the book to be generic and forgettable.
Austin Rief
I read Indistractible last weekend in 1 sitting… it was really incredible. Very thought provoking, packed with lots of action items. Really enjoyed it and have already recommended it to multiple people!
Harshita Gupta
Well, I completed this book today and was contemplating the right kind of words to pen down. I do love non-fiction reads be it belongs to self-help books, business reads, biographies or autobiographies, books on mind or life. I read all the styles of non-fiction. But Indistractable wasn’t the book for me.
Indistractable focuses on the reduction of distractions that is mainly caused by the use of technology and gadgets. It comprises of easy to read short chapters with further sections talking abou
Kerry-louise Jones
This book is full of interesting studies and facts to help you understand why you are being distracted and gives you simple solutions to help improve how you spend the time you have.

I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling with high screen time or work/life balance. It is really relatable and non-judgemental, the author himself admits to falling victim of so many of the struggles that we face today such as checking social media when spending time with his child. A lot of the findings r
Milan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When you collect your blog posts into a book this is what you get. Something which can be described in a couple of pages has been turned into a book.
Dr. Tobias Christian Fischer
One kind of a book - me like! It helps to overwork your work habits, general habits and identifies wrong cultural habits at work. It’s an eye-opener and truly helps in your daily life.
Suzanne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world filled with an ever increasing number of distractions, Nir Eyal comes to the rescue with a book full of well researched and thoroughly tested ideas to help you choose how to spend your time wisely. It's all in service of the idea that what you consistently do over time is going to make you the person you end up being. Are you spending your time according to your values and who you want to be?

The book covers a lot from being more focused at work to parenting to relationships and I lear
♥ Ibrahim ♥
He’s straightforward, no fluff, no nonsense. Each word he writes is in its place when others in the profession can ramble and chase rabbits.
Mike Mulvey
I've noticed WHO is reading an audiobook greatly affects how much I enjoy a book. Nir Eyal reads his own book and that was a mistake.

Nir Eyal is a dork, he sounds like a dork, and much of the advice he gives in the book is dorky (scheduled get-togethers with couples he and his wife are friends with where they discuss a pre-planned topic? Hey, that's the worst idea I've ever heard).

If it sounds like I'm hating on Eyal, I'll mention I much preferred his previous book, 'Hooked'. I also read the har
Karen Chung
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An outline of the problems we all face being distracted by and obsessed with our e-gadgets, along with concrete, realistic steps toward retaking control of our time and lives. I especially appreciated the parts on education. Finished in two sessions mostly using text-to-speech. Recommended.
Manu
Towards the end of the book, the author cites a survey which found that "almost a third of Americans would rather give up sex for a year than part with their mobile phone for that long". Sex has been hardwired in us by evolution, and it's a testament to technology that it has managed to hack even that! But then again, there was a time when even the printing press was called the biggest source of distraction. So this isn't a new story. But we do live in a world in which the attention economy has ...more
Vagabond of Letters, DLitt
3/10.

Quick and breezy. I was recommended this by a fellow computer scientist on Blind. I should have read the description. This Tribesman's book (i.e., bloviating blogpost) is mostly about cutting out digital distraction, not the mental fortitude necessary to tune out interruptions as I believed. I won't hold mismatched expectations against the author, but it's pretty run of the mill stuff.

Alas, I will hold the following against the author:

1. His friend group is so exclusively Jewish that they
Echo C
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. The irony of this guy writing this book can’t be lost on anyone because he literally wrote the book on how to get people hooked on products. That aside, it was full of good information. The author discusses the different types of distractions and provides plenty of tips on how to be “indistractable” in both your personal and professional lives. Eyal also includes a section on raising kids to be indistractable, which I appreciated. Some of the tips, like timeblocking and providi ...more
Jeff Wheeler
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has been sitting on my kindle for a while and I guess I was distracted. Haha. This was a really good book that goes to the root of our distractions. It’s not a bash on technology but more about the underlying pain that makes us want to escape. It offered some really valuable suggestions — many I already knew and practice but also some nuggets I hadn’t heard. I’ve already started applying some principles, like scheduling things that I value the most.
Rochelle
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I loved the most about this book was the very succinct nature of the advice. Also the fact that it didn't demonize our devices or talk of simplistic fixes like 'unplugging', which often do not work.

It was an easy read with very practical and good advice that I can actually see myself putting into practice. Some of the strategies are those that I learned from books like 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport, and have already implemented and they do work very well. Hence, I have high hopes for some of
Patricija - aparecium_libri
3.5
Nothing remarkable. Got some insight about distractions, apps to use, but didn't find out anything new.

• Stillness Is the Key
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Think Like a Rocket Scientist: Simple Strategies You Can Use to Make Giant Leaps in Work and Life
  • The Many Lives of Michael Bloomberg
Nir Eyal is the bestselling author of "Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products" (a finalist for the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards) and "Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life." (nominated for the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards)

He has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Hasso Plattner Institute of Design. His writing on technology, psychology and busi

Articles featuring this book

Your 2019 Goodreads Reading Challenge goal is just within reach, and we're here to help you finish the reading year with some great new...
“An individual’s level of self-compassion had a greater effect on whether they would develop anxiety and depression than all the usual things that tend to screw up people’s lives, like traumatic life events, a family history of mental illness, low social status, or a lack of social support.” 6 likes
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” 6 likes