Start by marking “Laughing on the Outside: The Life of John Candy” as Want to Read:
Laughing on the Outside: The Life of John Candy

Laughing on the Outside: The Life of John Candy

2.99  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Funny and gentle, John Candy was loved by millions of movie fans for playing ture-to-life characters. Whether as the irrepressible bon vivant in Splash, the misunderstood slob in Uncle Buck, or the generous lonely salesman in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, John Candy struck a perfect balance between self-deprecating humor and irresistible, emotional warmth. But behind th ...more
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Laughing on the Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laughing on the Outside

Gloria Mills
In the early days of the internet (1996) social networking consisted of mailing lists and newsgroups. I corresponded with Dave Thomas on the SCTV newsgroup after I had purchased this book, and he said that the book was inaccurate and a disgrace to his friend John Candy's memory, and that many of the SCTV alumni felt the same way.
Brandon
I give this book three stars only because if it's subject. I love John Candy and felt like this bio didn't do a well enough job of telling John's story. The author kept alienating me with his editorializing (his thoughts on John's movies and his apparent distaste for John Hughes) and the way he just glossed over everything. It was like he was only allotted 220 pages by his publisher to tell John's story and it shows. The way interesting facts are glossed over in one or two sentences left me want ...more
Enikő
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a difficult read. I realize biographies are tough to write because of all the facts available to be crammed in, but this one was tough to read too. I only kept reading out of sheer stubbornness. I was interested, but didn't find that the writing was up to par.
In hindsight, I'm glad I stuck to it because I learned quite a bit about John Candy and by the end the emotional investment kept me reading. I wonder if that's why I found the last few chapters to be better written
Joshua Knight
This book should be called SCTV and Hollywood business featuring John Candy. The book doesn't seem to speak too much about. John Candy as ones biography tends to do. I learned more about the people John Candy surrounded himself with then John Candy himself. Everything that was written about John Candy could have been summed up in one chapter. I finished the book because I'm stubborn. I was overall disappointed in the biography.
Ben W
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A glimpse into this gentle, funny man's life. While he was affable in nature, this book evinces the life-long anxieties, of success and self-worth, that John Candy was troubled with. He was a comedian, movie-star, and minority owner of the Toronto Argonauts; he took on too many film projects, and as a result he appeared in too many flops.
Josh
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seems like it was very hard to get more personal information about John Candy. This book has way too much information about the people in his periphery and not enough about the man on the cover. You get a vague idea of how he was privately, but most of the books seems to tell you what you already know.

Glad I read it. It is short, but not very enlightening.
Paul
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An incite into the life of the Canadian comedian/actor, and the stuggles he faced during his rise to stardom.
Damian
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Although interesting at times, this book was definitely not what I was hoping it would be.
Lorrie
Aug 15, 2016
Teresa
Oct 02, 2008
Christian
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2015