Start by marking “Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)

Deadly Silence

(Detective Jane Phillips #1)

Some sins can never be forgiven.

DI Jane Phillips was a star detective driven by a relentless quest for justice. But then she stepped outside the law.

Now, demoted and suffering with PTSD, she finds herself facing the deadliest threat of her career -- a serial killer who is preying on vulnerable women, murdering them in a shocking and bizarre ritual.

A master of deception, he

Published October 27th 2019 by Inkubator Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Silence

Start your review of Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)
"Avonna
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

DEADLY SILENCE: A gripping serial killer thriller (Detective Jane Phillips Book 1) by OMJ Ryan is the start of a new DCI/DI British police procedural thriller series now featuring DI Jane Phillips and the other detectives from the author’s first book, Deadly Secrets. This book can be easily read as a standalone without any confusion.

The consequences from previous decisions in the pursuit of justice have left DCI Jane Phillips just
San
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jane Philips is a DI who is investigating the murder of a woman suffocated by a plastic bag. Soon she finds out that it isn't single case as more victims are found and Jane is trying to do everything she can to find the serial killer.
It was fast paced and very absorbing crime story that I really enjoyed. The author managed to keep me guessing through most of the book who the murderer actually is.
My only problem with this book is too many really detailed description of detectives works. While I
Meggy Chocolate'n'Waffles
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silence can be a weapon. Sharper than a knife, as unforgivable as a lie.

Police procedurals are a hit or miss for me. After reading so many of them, it only takes a few pages to decide whether a novel and I are going to hit it off… O.M.J Ryan made it even shorter!!! Within a few sentences, I was fully in. A sense of dread, words dancing in the light to create a threatening shadow, and my head was on red alert. I couldn’t stop thinking “Oh my God, why don’t we pay more attention?” But who knows wh
Shalini
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was freaking awesome. I loved the sarcastic, filled with bristling anger at the lousy boss, wise cracking but so damn intelligent DI Jane Phillips.

My first book by the author OMJ Ryan, I just want to say - OMG You are awesome. Now that I have gushed about the author, let me get to the story. A police procedural with murders and investigation. In this, the only thing widely different, other than the main character, was the murderer. I was most intrigued by him/her, could have been anyb
Samantha Gonsalves
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After the incredible read that Deadly Secrets featuring Detective Jane Phillips and Marty Michaels was, I knew I had to get my hand on Deadly Silence and it didn't disappoint. I was looking forward to a crazy suspenseful ride in this book, which was signed sealed and delivered. I found the book to be highly gripping and peppered with well-timed twists.

Someone is murdering seemingly innocent women in what appears to be a bizarre killing ritual. The killer never leaves anything behind. Try as har
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

So I'm a sucker for a British police procedural. Throw in a female team lead and the format being an audiobook, and you have serious interest from me.  Deadly Silence follows a serial killer case. The killer is fast-paced and brutal.

Our point of view is Jane Phillips who is leading her old team, but not technically in charge, aft
Tony Hisgett
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, thriller, mystery
At the beginning of the story DI Jane Phillips has been demoted, is suffering from PTSD and is close to being an alcoholic. To make matters worse her boss is a self-centred, egotistical idiot. The book really looked promising.

Unfortunately her boss, DCI Brown is a bit of caricature. Many TV cop shows seem to have an incompetent, self-serving, PR obsessed superior officer who is more of a hindrance than a help in solving the case. It always makes me think, do authors think all the top police offi
Debbie lost in a world of books. Book worm Niman
Bloody brilliant I eased right into this and was hooked can’t wait to read the next
Kathy Brackin
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story!!! Thumbs up
Elaine
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Deadly Silence.

I'm always on the lookout for a mystery series featuring a strong female protagonist and Deadly Silence fit that bill.

DI Jane Phillips is back at work, unfortunately, in a demoted position after her actions in a previous case strayed outside the law.

Now, faced with an insufferable man as her supervisor and suffering from PTSD, Phillips must focus on a new case featuring a serial killer preying on individuals tied to a tragic and
LeTresa Payne
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will rate Deadly Silence by OMJ Ryan a solid 4.5 stars. This is my second read by this author and once again, they did not disappoint me. This story was told from the viewpoint of DI Jane Phillips (Guv), the victims of a heinous murder crime and the murderer. This is quite a fast paced story, so please hold on to your seats as you're going to be traveling on one heck of a ride. DI Phillips is back after a six month hiatus from dealing with the fallout of a previous case in which she almost los ...more
Mandie
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadly Silence once again sees us in the company of Jane Phillips and her team and this time they are taking centre stage. We first met her in Deadly Secrets as she investigated Radio personality Marty Michaels and although this is billed as Detective Jane Phillips Book 1 it does follow on quite nicely from the authors first book. After the incidents during the case Jane has now been demoted to DI and is working under a DCI that she has had dealings with in the past and this causes quite a lot o ...more
Hannelore Cheney
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley and Inkubator Books for the eARC.
DI Jane Phillips is suffering from PTSD after her last case and to make matters worse she was demoted and is now working under the boss from hell, DCI Brown. When a horrific murder occurs, soon followed by several others with the same MO, Jane and the team are constantly harangued by Brown for not not solving the case immediately. He's angling for a promotion and determined the case be closed and is looking for any suspect to hang the murders
Martha Brindley
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Manchester, DI Jane Phillips, recently demoted, is investigating a brutal series of murders where the victims are all linked to the Catholic Church. Her boss, DCI Brown, is constantly putting more pressure on the team to find the killer. Jane is a likeable character, suffering physically and mentally from PTSD. This is a very good read, with a killer determined to revenge his horrific childhood. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
Amanda
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of this author's books that I have the distinct pleasure of reading and reviewing. I loved his first book 'Deadly Secrets', which was released earlier this year. Without even reading the synopsis, I just knew that I would love 'Deadly Silence' because I have heard lots of great things about this book from other bloggers. I read the synopsis for 'Deadly Silence' and it certainly sounded like my kind of read- a police procedural type of story with a kick ass female lead characte ...more
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Emma and Inkubator Books for my copy of the book and my spot on the blog tour.  All thoughts are my own.  I am delighted to share my review as part of the blog tour today.

TRIGGER WARNING: Sexual Abuse

This is the first book in a brand-new police procedural to sink your teeth into.  It’s got everything that you need in your next page turner. It was with great excitement when I finally got around to reading this absolutely explosive start to what I assume to be a very successful series.
J Fearnley
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5-4*
This is the last day of this amazing BlogTour for Deadly Silence by OMJ Ryan and it’s been a pleasure to take part.

DI Jane Phillips was previously a DCI until her actions in her last big case went awry. Her new DCI – Brown -is a bit of a pain they don’t have the best of relationships. He’s not liked by the rest of the team either, they’re still loyal to Jane, and the two of them – Jones and Bovalino – are quite the double act. Nevertheless Phillips, Jones and Bovalino are always determined
Christine C
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I enjoy this type of book very much, I admit to being critical of them. It’s hard to get the right balance between being blatantly obvious about “whodunit” and “wtf where did that even come from?” Deadly Silence, however, gets it exactly right. The book is set in Manchester, England. DI Phillips has recently been demoted after a disastrous ending to a previous case and her work arch rival has taken her old job. She and her team must work with him to catch a serial killer.

This book was so h
Lel Budge
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane Philips is a DI, demoted as a result of events at a previous case. Her boss, Fraser Brown really hates her and makes it very clear, luckily for her the feeling is reciprocated.

Her team are investigating the murder of a woman, found suffocated by a plastic bag…..but when further murders are committed, all in the same way….they have a serial killer to find. Jane, committed to her job, puts the truth before anything else and ends up in danger, the killer is watching!

Jane is a likeable charact
Cheryl M-M
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detective Jane Phillips is on the search for a brutal serial killer who preys on vulnerable lonely women. There doesn't appear to be any direct connection between them, so maybe the killer just gets a thrill out of tormenting the weak and vulnerable of society.

But the killer does have an agenda. An agenda caused by betrayal, inner torment and a lifetime of pain. Somebody has to pay for the pain. Will Phillips be able to find the killer before they get through their long list of vengeance?

The mai
Carole Gourlay
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Judi
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first in the series about DI Jane Phillips. She was demoted after a case that she solved. You don't really find out all the story behind it. But, on this one, she is with her two detectives that help her solve her cases.

In this one, she is fighting the man in charge, as all he is concerned about is solving a case and being promoted..Right now, he was the one that took her job when she was demoted.

This case is about a serial killer that breaks into a house and leaves a trail of death.
J_Mc 251
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this crime thriller. I especially liked that the heroine was not entirely put together; her humanity made her more likable and relatable. I also thought that the members of her team were well-written, right through the obnoxious boss (we’ve all dealt with those). The plot itself was rolled out in a manner that allowed the reader to “work the case” with the team, which I appreciated. I would definitely recommend this book. For a complete review, please visit my blog at Firefli ...more
Kimberly
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I found my mind trying to figure it out while trying to fall asleep which means that the book was getting to me. That says a lot if you ask me.

I thought the writing from this new author was great. And the characters had a lot of definition but also seemed human.

I highly recommend checking out this new author.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an
Joseph Mitcham
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Second book in the Detective Phillips series and she's coming into her own as a character, as is Ryan with his writing.

Fantastic follow up to Deadly Secrets, bringing DC Phillip's into the spotlight as the central character, and what a great manifestation of female strength to be portrayed.
The clues along the way through the trail of relationships, abuse and murder were enough, but not too much, making the climax deeply satisfying

This book has all you want from a crime thriller, not least suspe
Constance Norgaard
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rarely Secrets: A Gripping serial.killer thriller (Detective Jane Phillips Book 1) by OKI Ryan

A very intriguing serial killer. Meticulous, unstoppable and disciplined. The characters are worthy and Jane is a true character herself. She suffers from PTSD from a former case. This has it's ups and downs for her in following the case and proceeding as Detective. Watch how she overcomes her obstacles!
Julie Rhinehart
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Your past will come back to haunt you. What you did (or did not do) to help someone in the past is remembered and you will be held accountable for your actions. DI Jane Phillips and her team must figure out who is next and stop the killer before he kills again. Thrilling and suspense, full of sarcasm. A wonderful read

Thank you NetGalley andOmj Ryan for this edition and hearing my honest review. Looking forward to reading more with you
#partner
Jill Burgin
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fast paced police procedural? A serial killer? A relatable but flawed police detective? Oooh I.’m definitely in! Jane Phillips is back in the second of the presumably ‘deadly’ series and this time she is still traumatized by her last case and is not really ready to be thrown back into the fray. But in she goes and it’s a great journey once more. Excellent read!
Mella
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read the prequel but this held up on it's own legs. Jane was a fairly likeable character even though I didn't completely connect with her or the rest of the team. The mystery was riveting and kept me hooked, more than enough to satisfy me. I'll definitely pick up the prequel and keep my eye out for more books in the series. Solid 3 stars. ...more
Diane E
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good

DI Jane Phillips , recently demoted is working under DCI Brown , a very poor leader . One, then two murders occur and Brown is trying to solve them by picking a likely person and then finding the evidence . Jane and her team don't work that way .

• Deadly Waters (Detective Jane Phillips, #2)
  • Deadly Betrayal: A gripping crime thriller full of mystery and suspense (Detective Jane Phillips Book 4)
  • Deadly Terror (Detective Zoe Finch, #4)
  • Deadly Desires (Detective Zoe Finch, #3)
  • Deadly Choices (Detective Zoe Finch, #2)
  • The Artisan (DI Erica Swift #3)
  • Deadly Wishes (Detective Zoe Finch, #1)
  • The Silent One (DI Erica Swift #2)
  • A Wicked Mercy (Harriet Quinn Crime Thriller, #1)
  • The Eye Thief (DI Erica Swift, #1)
  • A Poison Tree DCI Will Blake, #2)
  • Impurity (DI Gardener #1)
  • The Child Catcher (DI Erica Swift #4)
  • Deadly Motives
  • Cruelty Has A Human Heart
  • Fearful Symmetry (DCI Will Blake, #2)
  • The Bones of the Dead (DCI Will Blake, #3)
  • Murder the Boys (Kate Power, #1)
Hailing from Yorkshire, OMJ Ryan worked in radio and entertainment for over twenty years, collaborating with household names and accumulating a host of international writing and radio awards. In 2018 he followed his passion to become a full-time novelist, writing stories for people who devour exciting, fast-paced thrillers by the pool, on their commute – or those rare moments of downtime before be ...more

Detective Jane Phillips (3 books)
  • Deadly Waters (Detective Jane Phillips, #2)
  • Deadly Vengeance (Detective Jane Phillips, #3)