Start by marking “Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)

Where Dreams Descend

(Kingdom of Cards #1)

In a city covered in ice and ruin, a group of magicians face off in a daring game of magical feats to find the next headliner of the Conquering Circus, only to find themselves under the threat of an unseen danger striking behind the scenes.

As each act becomes more and more risky and the number of missing magicians piles up, three are forced to reckon with their secrets
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Wednesday Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles
    Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    Release date: Jun 02, 2020

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3679 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 03 - Feb 24, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    Angelica ♡
    Me: *sees that it’s pitched as The Phantom of the Opera meets Moulin Rouge*

Me: *is completely obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera*

Me: *knows must read book*

Me: *sees release date*

Me: *cries because it’s twO YEARS AWAY*

Me: *still really wants to read book*

*because The Phantom of the Opera*
    Tucker
    May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reviewed
    Book: The one who dares most often disappears...
    Me: Yeah that's because the one who dares is most often the one doing stupid sh*t that gets them in trouble

*************

i have fallen down the rabbit hole of exploring 2020 releases...

no sleep for me
    Melanie
    bag secured..... brb, crying forever over this. i am so excited!!! <3

ARC provided by Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
    Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
    Loveeed the atmosphere and tension! More thoughts to come soon :)

Pssst. Visit me on Instagram!
    Candace Robinson
    ARC received via publisher!
    Alexa
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    But really, is there any better feeling for a reader than diving into a novel you are highly anticipating and having it be as excellent as you’d hoped?
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
    Julie
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I can't think of enough adjectives to praise this! Dark, stunning, magical, romantic all come to mind. Don't miss this gorgeous book that draws inspiration from and reimagines Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera (and has plenty of Easter eggs for fans of both, like myself!) but is a completely original story all on its own.

My official review:

"WHERE DREAMS DESCEND is a glamorous dark gem of a tale, sparkling with romance, magic, and intrigue. Readers will be captivated by prima donna Kallia as
    Erin
    Aug 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Goodreads giveaway win!
    ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
    ♠ TABI ♠
    I'm either going to fall catastrophically in love with this or die in agony from ruined expectations BECAUSE I AM HYPED FOR THIS OKAY

AND EVEN MORE HYPED NOW BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS COVERRRRRRRRR
    2020 releases are killing me with their wonderful, stunning covers
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    Another YA book that has a summary that sounds like it'll be really kinky until you see that it's YA and probably won't be.

Also if this is based off Phantom, SO HELP ME GOD IF THE HEROINE ENDS UP WITH BOOK RAOUL.

NOBODY LIKES BOOK RAOUL.
    Kyle
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, sf-fantasy, ya
    Many thanks to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for providing me with this free advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

You know, I love me some YA fantasy, but this one was a mixed bag... and mostly of the disappointing sort. Listen, I don’t like giving negative reviews. I just get my expectations so up, and so when they’re dashed, it hurts more. The blurb sounded promising, and the book started off cool, but floundered between 20% and the last 5% (and that’s the bulk of it).

Let me just
    Amanda
    May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The excerpt destroyed me, I cannot wait to see the rest!!!!

Update: I'm sad for everyone who hasn't read this dark gem yet! We've waited too long for stories about women magicians and Kallia will steal any show. Her fiery ambition drives this story and I don't know what I loved more, everything about her, or everything about the magical world she explores through her performances. This is a breath of fresh air for anyone who wants something new in fantasy and I'm already itching for the sequel!
    Axie
    I had the absolute pleasure and privilege to read this novel in its most recent incarnation, and world, get ready for the magnificence of WHERE DREAMS DESCEND. Gorgeous prose, high drama, sizzling romantic tension, and magic & mayhem, this book completely swept me away, from start to its heart-stopping finish. Kallia is a fierce & confident heroine whose journey to take control of her own life is an inspiring and fist-pumping journey of fulfillment as she escapes the life of a showgirl ...more
    Ashlee » Library In The Country
    Every time I see mention of this book I freak out a little inside because it reminds me that’s it’s coming. ...more
    Lia Carstairs
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Updated review:

Thank you so much St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for sharing this book in exchange for an honest review. And of course, thank you Janella Angeles for making such a beautiful book!

Ahhhhhh, the downside of reading a book (in a series) before it comes out is having to wait waaaaaaaayyyy longer for the the second book to come out. Especially with the cliffhanger to this book...........

I knew from the moment I looked upon this cover, I was going to fall in love with this book—and
    Morgan
    So you're saying this isn't a historical fiction?

*I weep*
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    I like Phantom of The Opera, so sure why not?
    Leah
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: hall-of-fame
    When I got a copy of this book early, I said I might never get over the excitement. This is one of my most anticipated reads of 2020 and I had been dying to get my hands on it. Now that I’ve finished, I know I will never get over it. Ever.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat

I want to start with the negative. Just get it out of the way since there is only one thing I disliked about this book and it's important to keep in mind. The beginning truly does this book a disservice. I realize I read an ARC
    Tiffany Bookwormgram
    I’m more like 4.5/5 stars. Not five, because I get annoyed when something *ALMOST* happens and never does, for the sake of suspense. And that happens several times in this one.

That said, I looooved this book. Magicians, showgirls, dark magic stirring, mysterious towns, secrets, danger, interesting characters. It was all so visual and enrapturing.

The characters are flawed and wonderful in a way that makes them feel real. Everyone has a secret, a mask they hide behind. This book is slowly
    Myka Kobb
    Jul 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    A book written by a Filipina-American??? Hit me the fuck up!!! 2020 COME QUICKLY
    Gaby (lookingatbooks)
    You had me at “Phantom of The Opera meets Moulin Rouge” ...more
    AJ
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    ”For in the world of magic, a woman’s place lies in the quiet shadows of labor magic, the encouraged path. The safer one. Because the ones who dare most often disappear.”

Thank you to the pulishers and Netgalley for giving me an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

The magic, the romance, the atmosphere, the beautifully written world descriptions, the tension (romantic and chaotic) is just a few reasons why this is a 5+ star read! And probably the best book I’ve read so far in
    Danica
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I just finished this book this morning and gave myself the day to sit on my feelings. I honestly adored this book. Its not published for another six months but I need book two NOW!

I adored the main character Kallia, she was such an ambitious determined character, you seen her inner fears but one the outside she never showed them. Kallia is such a girl power character without being over the top about it.

There was some amazing magic, a sense of mystery and hint of romance. I adore
    Tara ☽
    May 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    This is two years away but FUCK IT I WANT IT NOW
    Andi
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, on-kindle
    *~I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my views and feelings prior to release. ~*

EDIT:

There is so much I can say about this book, but to wrap it up - bluntly and aptly: this book makes no sense.

None.

What did make sense is how loosely elements from Phantom and Moulin Rouge were borrowed an thrown into this book. Even still, that did not help the plot.

(view spoiler)
    Victoria Booklover
    Aaaaaah, finally, I have finished a book after putting 3 books down.

Thank. God. And what a good choice. I think I needed the romance and whimsical magic and fun that this story offered.

Some spoilers headed your way, btw.

A female magician enters a competition where female magicians are basically unheard of and unwanted. Not to mention it takes place in a creepy city where the entire city has no recollection of its past.

But back to Kallia, our magician. I found a female magician to be unique,
    Alyssa Palombo
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a delicious, magical treat of a book. It had the exact Phantom of the Opera-esque vibes/aesthetic that I so deeply love. The world was beautifully built, with great characters and a captivating story. Get this on your radar now for its release later this year!
    Jackie
    May 18, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf  ·  review of another edition
    UNAPOLOGETICALLY BOLD SHOWGIRLS BIIIITCH I'M SO READY FOR THIS
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
    • The Shadows Between Us
    • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
    • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
    • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
    • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
    • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
    • Song of the Crimson Flower
    • Woven in Moonlight
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
    • The Silence of Bones
    • Anna K.: A Love Story
    • Tweet Cute
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
    Janella Angeles is a Filipino-American author who got her start in writing through consuming glorious amounts of fanfiction at a young age–which eventually led to penning a few of her own, and later on, creating original stories from her imagination. A lifelong lover of books, she’s lucky enough to be working in the business of publishing them on top of writing them. She currently resides in ...more

Kingdom of Cards (2 books)
    • Untitled (Kingdom of Cards, #2)