Start by marking “The Profit Motive (Sterling and Mason, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Profit Motive (Sterling and Mason, #2)

The Profit Motive

(Sterling and Mason #2)

Mason & Sterling are back in a hard-boiled international thriller! Perfect for fans of Mark Dawson, J. B. Turner, Lee Child and David Baldacci…

How do you deal with an implacable foe in an alien land…?

Manchester, England, and Wenzhou, China, 2001

When firefighter Adam Sterling arrives at the scene of a horrific car crash, little does he imagine it will lead
Published December 16th 2019 by Long Stop Books

To ask other readers questions about The Profit Motive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Profit Motive

Start your review of The Profit Motive (Sterling and Mason, #2)
Susan Hampson
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
This is the second book in the Mason and Sterling series, although it does stand well in its own right too. Set in England and China this International thriller is a fast-paced edgy read. When firefighter Adam Sterling arrives at a pretty nasty car crash he quickly becomes the hero of the day to Kate, who was trapped in her car. Although there were flames getting nearer to them by the minute they also had their own sparks flying between them.
Adam gets drawn into helping Kate find out what has ha
Amanda
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for 'The Profit Motive' and it certainly sounded like the sort of action/ thriller story that I absolutely love. Well 'The Profit Motive' was certainly that and so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Profit Motive' but more about that in a bit.
I took to the characters of Adam Sterling and Byron Mason from the first time I met them, even if they did scare me slightly. Sterling and Mason are former Royal Marines, who have left the service and found other roles. Sterlin
Cyndi
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow talk about an exciting story. When Kate meets Adam at a car wreck she has no idea what a great friend he is going to turn out to be. Kate is badly in need of protection and has no idea where to get it. Byron runs a security company and agrees to find someone for the job. Next thing you know our main characters are on the run trying to find out who wants to destroy Kate. This story is high octane there is so much happening not only for Kate Adam and Byron but Byron's family at home is mixed u ...more
Jane Hunt
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enticed in with a mystery and an unexplained hit and run, leaving an English businessman gravely injured. The adrenaline starts to pump, as the thought processes wonder, who is behind the attack. Back in the UK one-half of the investigators has family problems to solve. Another accident draws in his partner, and the plot takes you on a roller-coaster ride across continents and cultures, with complex characters and vivid scenarios and settings.

The plot threads appear unconnected, but as the story
Sue Olexa
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Beckler certainly proves he knows how to weave a story and The Profit Motive validates THAT. This book was like three books in one, tripling the amount of pleasureable reading! Action paced OH YES. Main character Kate goes all out to protect her Dad, and accomplishes that, but not without a lot of trials and tribulations that stack up against her. Great international thriller that grips the reader. Characters are very well developed. More importantly I never suspected the ending to this th ...more
Genelle Themann
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
What does a hit and run accident in China have to do with a Health & Beauty products manufacturing company in England? Those two things have an unbelievable connection when the man hit by the car is the head of the manufacturer in England. He was in China to check on a tip that his products were being counterfeited in one of his own facilities. Cheaply made in unsanitary conditions meant he was losing money and prestige. But finding who was doing it might be what costs him his life.

I really lik
Manie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Beckler once again let Adam and Byron loose, this time on the unsuspecting Chinese when Adam pursues leads when a woman he helped from a major car pile up, Kate, needs help to find out what happened to her dad in China.
We first met with Adam Sterling in Forged in Flames when Adam, a very unusual fireman, rescued a woman from a burning building. Then everything turned out to be a case of rescuing the damsel in distress a couple of times.
And in Profit Motive he does it again. And again. Each
Stephanie Dagg
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
There really is only one word to sum this book up: wow!
And ‘wow’ for numerous reasons. The wide-ranging action leaves you breathless, the characters are tough, energetic and fascinating, the settings are astounding and the plot is real knife-edge, keep-you-guessing stuff.
It’s exciting and interesting, and once you start reading you’re compelled to just keep going. It’s a book that’s hard to put down, but if and when you do it stays with you as it’s powerfully written. The various threads of the
Terry Pigeon
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in London and in China. A very intriguing story as it shows the stark contrast in the way police work is done in both countries. It does highlight though that there are good cops in a communist regime and that it is extremely difficult for them to operate, with all of the corruption around them.
This particular story has its’ heroes on both continents, although, of course we find the Kate, Adam and cie. In China desperately fighting against time to find their way through t
L J Graham
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, I enjoyed this book and would certainly read more Mason and Sterling books even if it was just to find out what eventually happens to secondary characters such as Theo and Khan.
A minor pet hate of mine is when a book is split up with chapters jumping from one thread to another. Because much of this book is based in in China as well as the UK a couple of times I “lost the plot” and found myself having to reread several sections thinking I had missed something, (or reading ahead main
Heather W
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Profit Motive is the second crime novel in the Mason & Sterling thriller series. I loved this book and cannot wait for the next one in the series.

The characters are well developed, strong, intelligent, and interesting. The fast-paced, action-packed thriller is well written and captured my interest from start to finish, with danger, family issues, drama, suspense, intrigue, twists and turns, and a surprise ending. The descriptions of the companies bring the reader along to Manchester, London
Jessica Belmont
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Profit Motive is a high stakes, action packed, thrill ride that left me breathless! I was so immersed, I lost track of time and read this in one sitting! David Beckler knows how to write a thriller!

This book is the epitome of action packed with fantastic characters that drive the story. One of the best parts is that I never expected the ending!

I’m honestly having trouble expressing how much I enjoyed this novel. You should just pick up this book and get reading! You’re in for quite a story!!
Sandy Grant
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book from this author but definitely not my last. I love a good suspense mystery and this book delivers with lots of action, intrigue, and international twists and turns. Best of all, an ending you won't suspect - hard to find in today's literature. I can't wait for more. Even though this was the second book of the series, the author did a great job of bringing new readers like myself into the story without any gaps or questions. I received a free advanced reader copy of the boo ...more
John
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Sterling and Mason series did not in anyway disappoint, but having read book one, 'Brotherhood,' I anticipated an action-packed exciting read.
The story is set in Manchester, London and Wenzhou in China. Sterling and Mason, although they are extraordinary people, with their Royal Marines background, their vulnerability shows through making their characters believable and therefore more engaging to the reader.
I think the Profit Motive would lend itself well to the silver s
Jane Blake
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this one, the kind of book you could just read and read.
It takes place in three places,Wenzhou City, Manchester and London. At first it felt like three different stories but then they very cleverly came together.
The characters are all written very well, you feel like you know these people.
Don’t want to give the plot away as it’s to good but I would certainly recommend a read.
Tasha Mahoney
This was an exciting, multi-continent thriller that had me completely invested. The characters are incredibly well developed, interesting and work well together.

I liked how fresh The Profit Motive felt in terms of plot and characters. This is the second book in the Sterling and Mason series and while  The Profit Motive did not feel lacking due to my not having read the first book, I plan to find the time to read it soon.
Eric Cousineau
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully crafted action-packed story with twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat right to the last page. A fast-paced rollercoaster ride! Full of twists and turns. This is definitely a page turner. Don’t start reading it if you are not prepared to stay up all night!

Thank you to the author who provided me with an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Pat Eroh
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly well-written thriller that absolutely captured me on the first page and held me by the throat throughout the book. Difficult to put down and it kept me up way late several nights (and I snuck read as much as I could at work). So good, you will want more. I want more.

Ralph Phares
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Book But Iffy Ending

This story covered a lot of geography, culture, police procedure and more but was a good read. The writing style was a bit off-putting but not impossible to navigate and the story was gripping and attention-grabbing. I found myself hoping for better outcomes and fairy-tale endings but this is a thriller and they don't happen that way.
Peter Fischer
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book.
Fantastic main characters, with a great storyline.
Plenty of action, suspense and twists to keep you interested.
This is the first book I have read that David has written, definitely won’t be the last.
Margie d
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Profit Motive kept me glued to the pages, wondering where the next twist would take the characters. The action and suspense was constant and I loved every minute. I can't wait for more adventures in this series!! ...more
Mary Ann
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent thriller. Characters have depth and this is a fast paced action thriller. Lots of surprises and twists that add to the adventure.
Steen Christensen
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
When Kate is involved in a trafic accident, her rescurer and Kate is wirled in a plot of kill or be killed, for profit.
David Delano
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, I received a copy as an Advance Reader. The story was gritty from start to finish. It is a classic page-turning caper. The suspense never stops. Looking forward to my next read.
Grady
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written book with great characters and twists to keep your interest
Frank Geimer
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel is filled with suspense and action from start to finish. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next installment.
Louise Smith
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very fast paced book. Enjoyed overall but I don't enjoy when book has chapters jumping from thread to thread. Because of this I found I had to reread because I lost track of what was happening. Otherwise good read and would read more of Beckler's work. ...more
Tiziana Langone
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suspense until the end!

When a man in China has an accident, it seems a standalone fact. But his daughter Kate, living in the UK, has a feeling it wasn’t an accident. And she’s not the only one, as the policeman in China Jie Gang thinks the same.
After Kate meets Adam, the firefighter who saved her after having an accident herself, they start together to discover the truth. Kate employs also Adam’s best friend Byron to go to China for the truth.

I was not familiar with this writer, and I haven’t re
Cyndi
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow if you want to read it book that will keep you on your toes this book is what you are looking for! Adam and Byron set off for China as bodyguards for Kate part owner of a company that is having their products made in a factory there. Kate's dad Oliver is nervous that the factory making their products is not being ran in a safe and healthy environment. When he ends up in the hospital and someone attempts to take his life Kate does the only thing she can think of. She hires bodyguards that hav ...more
Robert Browning
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Gritty thriller.
A real treat if you love gritty thrillers with one of our own as the heroes. This is the second book in the Sterling and Mason series following on from “Brotherhood” I would also suggest reading this first but both can be read as a standalone novel.
The story skips between Manchester and Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province in China although the main part of the story is in China. This second story continues with Manchester fireman Adam Sterling and Bryon Mason both former Roy

• The Whisper Man
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
  • The Rescue (All Roads Lead to Texas Book 1)
  • Snowflakes over Moondance Cottage
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • 133 Hours
  • SuperCell (Critical Incident #1)
  • Two: Mind Games and Murder (A Path of Deception and Betrayal #2)
  • B&Bers Behaving Madly at a Devon Seaside Guesthouse
  • For Love or Money: A laugh out loud, heartwarming romantic comedy
  • The Secret Keeper (Grant Garrick, #5)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen: An Uplifting, Comedic Tale of Time Travel and Friendship
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The Downside of Dachshunds (Love & Pets, #3)
  • Kill Order (Cerberus, #0)
  • Synapse

Sterling and Mason (2 books)
  • Brotherhood (Sterling and Mason, #1)