Start by marking “A Song Below Water” as Want to Read:
A Song Below Water

A Song Below Water

Legacies meets Nic Stone’s Dear Martin in Bethany C. Morrow's debut YA, A Song Below Water, about two best friends discovering their magical identities against the challenges of today’s racism and sexism.

Tavia is already at odds with the world, forced to keep her siren identity under wraps in a society that wants to keep her kind under lock and key. Nevermind she's also
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about A Song Below Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Song Below Water

Start your review of A Song Below Water
may ➹
Mar 10, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
why does this sound SO GOOD
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this is a contemporary fantasy about misogynoir, and though I'd like to know more, I recently read a book by this author, MEM, and loved it so much. I am totally excited to see more. ...more
The Artisan Geek
30/11/19
Holy cow whoever made this cover. OH MY GOSH! FIRE!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Heidi Heilig
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rich, intricate dive into mythology, misogynoir, and the way the world makes black girls out to be monsters. Like the siren's song, A SONG BELOW WATER is irresistibly compelling.
Emily
Jan 09, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I AM READING THIS RIGHT NOW AND BETHANY MORROW IS A TREASURE
Coco Maay (The Reading Fae) ✨🧚🏼‍♀️
Magical realism situated around a black siren living in portland who has to keep their magic a secret (but doesn't). Yes please and thank you maam.
L.C. Perry
Jan 11, 2020 marked it as must-have  ·  review of another edition
YOU HAD ME AT BLACK SIRENS. AND THAT COVER. <3
Sami
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sure to lead a resurgence of contemporary fantasy, A SONG BELOW WATER masterfully deals with past traumas, current politics, and race in a fantasy-esque modern day Portland that's unlike anything I've ever read. As Tavia and Effie struggle to find a sense of self in a world that already doesn't embrace black women, they're also struck with the reality of the danger of the powers growing within them. Fortunately for them (and the reader), their sisterhood is the strongest magic of all. THE HATE U ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you Macmillan and Tor Teen for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
London Shah
Mar 08, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm really, really excited for this story, and cannot waitttt to read!!!
Mana
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow has a refreshing magic system, exploring creatures that are usually ignored in YA fantasy. This is a book I will be recommending for a 13-15-year-old audience. The characters dealt with systematic oppression, teenage girl drama, school crushes, family drama, ex-boyfriends, and secret magical identities. More urban fantasy needs to be explored because there are opportunities to talk about social structures like this book did.

There was a lot of info dumping,
Liana
This was a terrific read.
rachel ☾

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Haley Hope Gillilan
This book was so interesting! I really don't think I've ever read anything like it. This story takes place in an alternate Portland, Oregon- imagine if not only did America have all the social and racial equity issues that we already do, and throw in kids as magical creatures like sirens, sprites, elokos, etc, Tavia is a siren, but goes to great lengths to hide it, and her best friend Effie is showing strange tendencies of something possibly even more rare. It's a LOT for the two of them to ...more
Alex
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens-fantasy

This book is interesting because it weaves relevant topics of our time (racism, racial profiling, Black Lives Matter) and adds the additional layer of mythos, such as sprites, sirens, mermaids, elokos, and gargoyles. In this book, some of the mythical creatures can be openly out about their identities. For instance, elokos are openly out in the community and are adored. Sirens, however, MUST keep their identities secret or else they risk punishment, such as wearing a silencing collar.
Jamie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So beautifully and effortlessly written! One thing I felt appreciated about this book that makes me excited to share it with my students is the way Morrow weaves in elements of the character’s cultural identity without it being overwrought. The book is full of relatable references to black life and struggle, of gentrification and segregated communities, while also containing a fantastical and compelling story of the sirens. Highly recommend!
Erin
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant way to explore current social issues in a fantasy (but still real world) setting!! Tavia and Effie are both fun and interesting characters, and the world of this story is so richly developed.
Katie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has mythology woven within it. Which was interesting to someone that knows nothing about mythology. Also I appreciate how it was a refreshing angle of not just a fairytale retelling.

The changing of perspectives each chapter between the two main characters was done well.
t gibson
Daniel Older
May 27, 2019

• Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • Tales from the Perilous Realm
  • The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire
  • The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Reverie
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Infinite Noise
  • Não Me Dê Flores!
  • Victoire-Divine T.1 : Déclaration de guerre
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Grace Year
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 1 [Tongari bōshi no atelier 1]
  • Nevertell
  • Chirp
Recently, Bethany's YA debut was announced. The first in a two-book deal with Tor Teen, A SONG BELOW WATER is a contemporary fantasy set in Porland, Oregon, about play-sisters, Tavia and Effie, who both have (and struggle to contain) a supernatural identity in a world where magical Black girls are feared.

Her adult debut is an ABA 2018 Indies Introduce pick, and a June Indie Next pick. A