Start by marking “After All (Cape Harbor, #1)” as Want to Read:
After All (Cape Harbor, #1)

After All

(Cape Harbor #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Heidi McLaughlin comes a heartfelt story about overcoming great loss and forgiving past sins to find happiness again.

Brooklyn Hewett hasn’t set foot in Cape Harbor for fifteen years—not since an accident claimed the love of her life, Austin Woods. Desperate to move forward, Brooklyn has focused on raising her daughter for the past fou
Published March 24th 2020 by Montlake (first published 2019)

Start your review of After All (Cape Harbor, #1)
Jennifer Kyle
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3 Stars
Syndi
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want to give After All more than 2 stars. Sadly until the end, I decided on 2 stars instead.
I usually like small town romance. And After All gives me secind chance romance. Miss McLaughlin done a good job on bringing the small town to life.

What does not work for me is the characters. Both Brooklyn and Bowie are confusing character and lack of chemistry. And stupid to be frank. After ONS with Bowie, it never crossed Brookln who is the father of her child. 15 years she let it gone by.

And Bowi
Zoe
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Moving, uplifting, and sweet!

After All is an engaging, heartwarming tale that brings together the independent, single mom Brooklyn and the hardworking, patient Bowie as they discover that beneath all the past miscommunication, secrets, and heartbreak is an unconditional friendship and love that is still smouldering after fifteen years of absence.

The prose is emotive and sincere. The characters are hesitant, dependable, and endearing. And the plot is a tender tale brimming with relationship dynam
Bookgasms Book Blog
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelly
There was something about this story. Something that wouldn't let me put it down. I connected to the story and I found the characters (well, most of the characters) to be so wonderfully lovable. I ADORED Bowie. Honestly, Bowie had my heart from the moment I met Luke and it only grew from there. He was my favorite kind of fierce, loyal, utterly adoring hero.

I loved Brooklyn too, though it wasn't quite as enthusiastic. She frustrated me sometimes. I wanted her - as an adult - to confront her issue
Michele
After All was written with several different troupes blended into one book. It had a love triangle (albeit a little different spin on it), enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, second chance and more. I liked the premise of the story and also the main characters - - Brooklyn and Bowie. In addition, the supporting characters lent a great deal to the strength of the storyline. This book truly had all the ingredients to be spectacular - - but I needed a little more of a connection with the characte ...more
Anne OK
McLaughlin is always a hit or miss with me. This was middle of the road. There were parts that I liked and found myself caught up in, but not enough that reached stand-out ratings.

I'll leave it at that -- unless I find some time to come back and dig a little deeper into the why-nots.
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
A small town story, set against the background of a personal tragedy that turns into a Township Memorial, the story carries a lot of weight. The burdens of guilt on every character are a ton each and that slows down the pace of their lives, and bringing to a complete standstill in some people's cases.
It's a town where hope has died with Ashton, the local hero. A popular guy followed by the townspeople like a Pied Piper. With him gone, it's like someone switched 8ff the light and now the whole se
TJ
A bittersweet look at young love, mistakes made and the guilt that follows. There were lots of layers that make up the storyline and keep the reader engaged. I loved Bowie’s character but really, REALLY had a hard time liking Brooklyn. Truly wanted to slap her upside the head and tell her to grow a stinking back-bone. Overall, it really was a lovely story, though.
HMS
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
4.5 stars RTC, maybe 😬
L.P. Dover
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good second-chance romance and Heidi McLaughlin did NOT disappoint. I've read almost all of McLaughlin's books, but this one really captured me. It has everything you could ever want in a book: love, emotions that grip your heartstrings, a breathtaking coastal setting, and a story that makes you feel like you're right there in the midst of it all. After All is definitely going to be my favorite read of 2020! ...more
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
It's a town where hope has died with Ashton, the local hero. A popular guy followed by the townspeople like a Pied Piper. With him gone, it's like someone switched off the light and now the whole se
TeriLyn
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t connect with this heroine at all, she came off as mean most of the time. The roots of the story and other characters kept me wanting to see how it played out.
E-Reader Addict
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Someone PLEASE send a therapist to Cape Harbor - PRONTO!

Brooklyn Hewett left Cape Harbor, Washington the day her boyfriend was laid to rest. Heavy with guilt about the fight they had and who she was with when Austin died, she left without a word to anyone and didn’t return for 15 years - until she was summoned home to help bring life back to the Driftwood Inn, the seaside resort owned by Austin’s mother, Carly.

Once Brooklyn arrives at the inn with 14 year old daughter Brystol in tow, she’s forc
Jean
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty slow burn and a little predictable. Not a lot of drama and no real twist or surprises for me.

That being said, it was a second chance romance with lots of deep regret, guilt and secrets.

A nice easy read, with a possible surprise for some who may not predict it early in the book, with a mix of characters in a small fishing town. I really liked the book!
Darcy
I liked this one, but there were times it got a bit eye rolling. Austin was on such a pedestal it drove me nuts. It's like he should have been sainted, yet know one remembered his faults. I also thought part of the storyline with him and the last fight with Brooklyn was dropped. I wanted to know why he picked the fight and quite honestly expected him to come back from the dead at some point.

I really liked Bowie and Brooklyn together, once they let themselves act on the attraction. Before that ha
Amber
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG! Heidi McLaughlin will have you on an emotional roller coaster with After All. This book had so many twists and turns and once I started I was hooked. I absolutely love her writing style and this story was amazing and pulls in your heart strings. I loved the characters especially Bowie. He was one who tried not to wear his heart on his sleeve but did. I loved the connection between him and Brooklynn even if it was a complicated one. I could read these characters forever, I’d love to know mor ...more
Julie
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Imagine living in a community where everyone knew all of the comings and goings in your life. Living in Cape Harbor for fifteen years, Brooklyn knew all too well how your past followed you into the present. While growing up, Brooklyn was the girlfriend of Austin Woods. Then tragedy struck and life would never be the same for this small town.

Determined to leave the stigma of her past behind, Brooklyn left Cape Harbor as soon as they said their ‘goodbyes’ to Austin. There were so many secrets abo
Maria
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review
3.5 stars.
A very romantic and sweet love story, set in a charming costal town I fell in love with, “After All”, by Heidi McLaughlin (Montlake Romance), features an appealing, brooding hero, who quickly learns second chances should be grabbed right away.
The old crush and the yearning is so well written. Bowie’s feelings of defeat, self-pity, jealousy and envy are wonderfully portrayed and instead of putting me off, they made the male c
Emily
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet, yet predictable book. Perfect for reading outside on a beautiful spring day. I absolutely loved the characters in this story. There were a few spots that felt like they needed some finessing, or a little more information to connect the story line/keep the story smooth. Overall though, I enjoyed it!
Vfc
Jeeves Reads Romance
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really, really struggled with the writing style on this one. A lot of my favorite books come from this publisher, so I didn't hesitate to check out this new-to-me author, but the extremely internalized, clean, and subdued writing felt more like one of my grandma's romance novels than something from 2020. That combined with a lackluster plot and a couple of frustrating elements have me dropping this rating lower than I normally go. There were parts of it that I liked, but they were far outweigh ...more
Julie Kirby
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting story, second chances, with friends family and lovers.

Whilst it took me a while I savoured it all, from horny teenagers to best friends to secrets and sadly to loneyless.

Bowie, Brooklyn, Carly, Simone, Brystol and Austin all such important parts of the story but hugely connected.

I loved the suspense, and not being able to second guess the secrets, I was hoping that we would find out what the secrets where, and was not disappointed with the telling of the story.

I loved Byrst
Sara Oxton
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After All by Heidi McLaughlin a five-star read that is all in. This is a story that will stay with me for a long, long time, I do not know how I missed this author, as what amazing writing. Cape Harbour and the views from the Driftwood Inn windows are some that I would love to see, they are described so well you can feel the salty air on your face. Brooklyn Hewitt ran away and who could blame her, her life as she knew it was over and would never be the same again, but what she didn’t realise in ...more
Kari Hansen
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s been fifteen years since the most painful night of Brooklyn’s life when she an accident stole the man she loved and after the way she handled her grief she thought she had no other option but to leave her hometown as well as everyone she loved behind. She never planned on coming back but and intriguing offer brings her and her daughter home to face her past.

Bowie had always loved Brooklyn, but he also knew that nothing would ever happen to them as she was involved with his best friend. When
Pennie Morgan
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one left me with so many emotions I had to leave it for several days before I could write the review. Brooklyn lost the love of her life 15 years ago and this is the first time she has come back to Cape Harbor and only because Austin's mother has asked her to help her get the Inn rehabbed and ready to open. The only problem is mom is plotting and brings on a partner, Bowie. Can they get past the hurts of the past and forge a new beginning? There are several side stories brought to light and ...more
Nikki Costello ***Crazy Cajun Book Addicts Blog***
Oh wow! Get ready to set sail on this amazing rollercoaster of After All.
A beautifully written story that will pull you in and tug at your heartstrings.
The chemistry Bowie and Brooklyn had blow me away. They pretend to hate each other one minute but then the next minute all that changes.
After All has lots of twists and turns and when a long standing secret is revealed where will that leave Bowie, Brooklyn and the relationship they are trying to rebuild.

Definitely one to add to your reading list,
Nicolena Salerno
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Heidi McLaughlin’s writing style, so I was really excited to read this book. Although it was a great story, with good characters, I felt it to be a little predictable at times. However, if you’re looking for an easy and light hearted read, then this is a good one!
Charlene
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Sweet ride

This story got me with all the mystery and bottled up emotions they had at the beginning between the characters Brooklyn and Bowie. It’s a sweet story of forgiveness and love with a lot of baggage from the past. It was a lil bit predictable but I just couldn’t stop reading/listening. I really enjoyed it. It gave the feels with all the angst and slow burn and with all the drama. I wish Cape Harbor was real, it made wanna have reservations at the inn just to see the big windows and the b
Marisa
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one writes a homecoming story better than Heidi McLaughlin! Similar to the start of the Beaumont series this series starts out with a person returning home and to a lost love. As much as I adore the Beaumont series I know that I’ll love the Cape Harbor series as much or even more. Heidi McLaughlin has such a strong clear voice and she writes characters you fall in love with.

AFTER ALL takes place In The beach town of Cape Harbor and centers around the character of Brooklyn. Brooklyn moves to c
Jessica
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sweet romance story about second chances. Better late then never, right???
I’m not going to tell you anything so I don’t ruin anything for you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Join the Whale Spout 1 4 Feb 24, 2020 08:32PM
SEE YOU AGAIN UPDATE 1 4 Sep 06, 2019 03:47PM

• Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Epic (Him, #2.5)
  • Dream With Me (The O'Callaghans, #1; With Me In Seattle, #13)
  • Down and Dirty (Hot Jocks, #5)
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • The Bedroom Experiment (Hot Jocks #5.5)
  • Home With You
  • Riven Knight (Tin Gypsy, #2)
  • Wildfire (Men of Inked: Heatwave, #3)
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Silver Player (The Silver Foxes of Blue Ridge #2)
  • Baiting Him (How to Catch an Alpha #2)
  • Fashion Jungle
  • The Woman Inside
  • Home to Me (Creek Canyon, #2)
  • I'm Yours
  • Return to Sender (Pine Falls, #1)
See top shelves…
Heidi McLaughlin is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of The Beaumont Series, The Boys of Summer, and The Archers.

Originally, from the Pacific Northwest, she now lives in picturesque Vermont, with her husband, two daughters, and their three dogs.

In 2012, Heidi turned her passion for reading into a full-fledged literary career, writing over twenty novels, inclu

Cape Harbor (2 books)
  • Until Then (Cape Harbor, #2)