Start by marking “I Hope You Get This Message” as Want to Read:
I Hope You Get This Message

I Hope You Get This Message

Seven days. Seven days. The Earth might end in seven days.

When news stations start reporting that Earth has been contacted by a planet named Alma, the world is abuzz with rumors that the alien entity is giving mankind only few days to live before they hit the kill switch on civilization.

For high school truant Jesse Hewitt, though, nothing has ever felt permanent. Not the
Hardcover, OwlCrate Exclusive , 424 pages
Published October 2019 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Get This Message, please sign up.
Kate
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of I Hope You Get This Message
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of the two books in the Owlcrate October box! Click on GOODIES LINK to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I thought this book was good!! I loved how things mostly came together at the end!! Jesse ended up being my favorite character because of the wolves

Happy Reading!

Mel
Farah Rishi
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
SHRUGS. I dunno, I mean, it IS a book I worked pretty hard on, so I will shamelessly give Past Farah five stars. You did good, kid. You tried your best. And that's enough in my (proverbial) book.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Full review to come. For now, I’ll just say that if you liked We Are the Ants then this is the book you need to read next.
R.F. Kuang
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So...this was really. flipping. good.

Long RTC. Put this one on your TBRs, you won't regret it.
ellie
UPDATE: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS GAY SO IM EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ IT NOW

holy shit this cover is so beautiful!! look at it!!
Amy (libraryofamy)
DNF on page 114.

I hate, hate, hate when I purchase a new release, read it right away, and dislike it so much that I can't even finish it. It feels like such a waste of money.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this book. It's a really interesting premise, and the writing style was noticeably lovely. However, I was incredibly bored.

I do not care about any of the characters. I wanted to, but I didn't. Each time it switched to new POV chapter, I couldn't remember the personality of that
Sahil Javed
i will support pakistani authors till the day i die.
Julie Zantopoulos
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This audiobook was amazingly done and the story was so heartfelt and human. I really enjoyed this and am sorry I didn't get to it pre-publication but I'm thrilled I finally got around to it now.

What would you do if you weren't sure if the world was ending in a week? Would the world fall apart? Would you spend it with family and loved ones? What would be left unsaid and what would you do anything to make sure people knew? This is the story of three teens
Benjamin (The Maniac)
I hope you get how much I need this book in my life.
OonaReads

If aliens sent a message to Earth and told us that the entire human kind would be eradicated because of our behaviour on the planet, I would simply think ‘that’s fair’
Bookish Penguin
What a super underwhelming end. It is not even a real ending, she just stopped writing in the middle of things lol

I don't know I think my updates speak for themselves and I don't want to talk about this book longer than nessecary. The characters where not developed and the whole book felt like the author wanted to put so much good topic in it but it was simply too much so everything got only talked about briefly.

There were no great twists in this book ( at least not for me ) since everything
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I finally finished this after over two weeks, i think. And I just? I don't have words for that ending? It's so tender but it broke my heart in a way i can't pinpoint. What exactly happened to get such a visceral reaction out of me? i'm not sure.
Noa ☾
3.5/5

It reminded Adeem of one of the poems his sister had shared with him once, one by Rumi. In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life’s usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one’s eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, “Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

tw : suicide attempt (in the past, not depicted), mental health issues,

Some books just

Yesenia Juarez
Blah, the writing was hard to read. Boring
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
I don’t normally read Science Fiction... ok that’s a lie. I don’t read Science Fiction. But this seems less Science Fiction and more contemporary which I also don’t read a lot of... but the synopsis really sells it to me.
Claire
I Hope You Get This Message is overall an okay but forgettable read. It tackles some interesting issues, but doesn't really deliver a powerful message or gives a conclusion and/or closure for the main characters, which makes an already uneventful story rather underwhelming. It's really just a contemporary coming of age story with scarce mentions of aliens and destruction of the human race.

If We Are the Ants was right up your alley, I'd definitely suggest giving this a chance, though.

TL
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Liked the story well enough (real life kept interfering with my reading time for various reasons). Part of the ending had me smiling, ther part felt "Meh" about.
Neil (or bleed)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First things first. I really liked the cover of this book. As an Electronics Engineer, the communications tower and the parabolic antennas on the cover are very enticing and I just wanted to buy the book already when I've first seen it.

Second, I Hope You Get This Message is an emotional story of finding happiness, contentment and oneself in the middle of the end of the world. Compare to We Are The Ants, we surely know that the aliens here aren't magical realism but the real deal. It almost felt
Emily B.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Your pain is where the light enters you."

This book. I don't have words for how much I love it.

It's beautifully written, laced with sadness, and anger, and most of all hope. Farah Naz Rishi is a simply incredible writer. This book is important. I can't wait for more people to read it.
Josiah
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In a style somewhat reminiscent of Shaun David Hutchinson, Farah Naz Rishi orchestrates an end-of-days scenario featuring a cast of teens as confused about how they fit into our world as they are about the imminent apocalypse. Tension fills every corner of society after a message is beamed to Earth from a heretofore unknown alien planet called Alma. When scientists decode Alma's statement as a pronouncement that they will terminate mankind in one week, our civilization self-destructs. Looting ...more
Neville Longbottom
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2019
4.5 - An alien planet has sent a communication to Earth saying they’re going to exterminate humanity in seven days. Jesse, Cate, and Adeem’s paths cross as they’re trying to get to unfinished business before the supposed end of the world.

This is definitely a sci-fi story that is more about the characters and their emotional journeys rather than the aliens themselves. It’s probably an overused comparison at this point, but if you enjoyed Shaun David Hutchinson’s We Are the Ants, then I’d say to
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Are we allso excited for the release ofI Hope You Get This Message? Because frankly, we need to be. This is the possible-end-of-days book I have been dying for. I love the concept, but in the books I have read, the execution hasn't quite met my expectations. Not so here! The author really
Giulia
"To the aliens,
Don’t bother coming here. Humans taste awful."

TW: bullying, schizophrenia, islamophobia, racism, homophobia, attempted suicide

Unpopular Opinion Time

Actual rating: 2.5

My friend, hear me out.
There is no other way to say it: this one was very simply not for me. This book bored me to death.
And that makes me feel so incredibly sad.

I do not know why, but I felt so absurdly detached from these characters and I was so completely disinterested in their adventures it was almost funny.
Anniek
Actual rating: 3.5

This book deals with an impending judgment from an alien species that will decide if humanity gets to live or die. Which is a very interesting take on apocalyptic stories, because usually it's about chance and bad luck rather than another species deciding we as humanity have failed and deserve to die. And for the most part, I thought the way this was explored in the book was really interesting as well. The storylines of the three main characters combine in an interesting way,
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“But the thing about the end of the world was this: either everything mattered, or nothing did.”
I Hope You Get This Message is a fantastic story with hope and a bit of heartbreak at its core. If you’re in the market for a sad and uplifting book, look no further. When Earth decodes a message from a distant planet, Alma, warning of an impending apocalypse in 8 days 3 teens converge as they’re each looking for answers or at least something to keep them sane.

Things I Liked
I absolutely loved
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
omg this book i didn’t want it to enddd and i have so many questions but in the best way ...more
Emilie
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fairly good, but I have a few complaints. It feels like the author tried to fit too many stereotypes and problems into the book. It felt a bit messy

The plot was pretty good but I WANT MORE ACTION LIKE SNZBSHBEBDBD ALIENS

Anyways the book was okay lol. Not the best but not the worst
Teresa Faliq ☼
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*

i liked this book a lot!! in all honestly, it took me a w h i l e to get into it, and i wasn’t super invested in it or felt any major connection with any of the characters until maybe a little over halfway through. but after that, it ended up being a really good read ! there were a lot of plot twists (some pretty predictable, but still) and a lot of adventure, action, questions, and non stop excitement. the book hit you with surprise a lot - which pretty much kept you wanting to read
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
I really enjoyed this one! I will admit, I think it could have been a little shorter, but for the post part I was entertained. I also don't think comparing this to We Are The Ants was accurate. I get it, they both deal with aliens and the end of the world, but We Are The Ants made me feel some type of way and sadly, I Hope You Get This Message was just not on the same level in my opinion.

• Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The How & the Why
  • Reverie
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • All the Things We Do in the Dark
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
Farah Naz Rishi is a Pakistani-American Muslim writer and voice actor, but in another life, she’s worked stints as a lawyer, a video game journalist, and an editorial assistant. She received her B.A. in English from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, and her love of weaving stories from the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she’s not writing, she’s probably hanging out ...more
“But I don't want you to keep pretending you're okay. I don't want you to keep downplaying the hurt you feel like you're not even human. You keep it up - all these lies to yourself, to other people, and soon you're not going to know who you are.” 5 likes
“In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life's usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one's eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, "Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” 2 likes