Start by marking “Book of Orlando (Mortal and Divine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Book of Orlando (Mortal and Divine, #1)

Book of Orlando

(Mortal and Divine #1)

Henri has a policy of not interfering with human affairs—he’s a courier of souls, no more, no less—until he happens upon a boy who reminds him there is goodness and light amidst the sorrow.

Orlando is in a vulnerable situation when Henri intercedes on his behalf and initiates the bond between them. Despite being punished in the past for similar transgressions, Henri finds
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 358 pages
Published February 7th 2020 by Laura Lascarso

To ask other readers questions about Book of Orlando, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Orlando

Start your review of Book of Orlando (Mortal and Divine, #1)
Shile
Infinity Duh! Stars

To a human, time is fleeting. Like daylight in the winter months. Or a powdery dusting of snow on the ground, only existing until the morning sun burns it away.

Gushing! Ahead!

This is the best paranormal book ever. Mortals and Divines for the win. I freaking loved it. Everything works from the beginning. GAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

description

We get the POVs of both characters, it is so satisfying, I can’t even explain. I said it once and I will say it again Laura owns my heart. This book is like
Xia Xia
description

You, dear reader, have not read anything like this before. A paranormal unlike any other paranormal stories out there.

It was an honor and a dream come true to be one of Laura's betas for this book. Laura had been my favorite YA LGBTQ author for the past 2 years, so when she asked if I could beta BOO, I was over the moon. Then, she said there would be a bloodsucker MC and I panicked.

You see... In the past decade I have DNFed or skimmed through every single vampire, werewolf, fairy or demon
Moony Eliver
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
To have kept you as my beloved was both my greatest joy and my deepest sorrow.

I have truly, truly, truly never read a book like this. M/M or otherwise. Yes, I have read books of vampires, demons and angels, but never with Lascarso's unique touches. The emotions were palpable, and sensuality twined sinuously around words and through the pages. It was exotic and all encompassing. From the moment I read the synopsis about an angel falling in love with a ballet dancer, I knew, knew, knew I had to
Hollis
I am not sure where to begin with this one.

I want to impress upon you how this isn't quite like any other paranormal you've read; sure, you might be familiar with the usual angels and demons in your fantasy, but this is something new. Are you tired of the same old immortal bloodsuckers, sparkly or otherwise? Lascarso's got you covered. Want all that and for it to be hot and.. well, scorching hot? Yep and yep.

I find writing this review impossible, and have written and deleted innumerable
Lisazj1
4.5 stars and I'm knocking off the half star because though I loved them both, have mercy, did both Henri and Orlando make me crazy! *side-eyes Orlando, because really?* And because HOW COULD YOU LEAVE ME THERE, HOW???

Truly imaginative world and fantastic characterizations, even the things that made me nuts were real and true to the character.

When's the next book?? O.O
Teal
Sometimes I’ll read a book with well-written, well-developed characters I never grow to care about. It’s not a case of disliking them; it’s analogous to the real-life situation of meeting someone who seems like a decent enough person — but I just don’t click with them.

That happened to me here with the MCs, the 2000-year old disembodied demon Henri, and the child-to-teenage Orlando. I made it almost halfway through the book before DNF-ing, without ever feeling emotionally invested in them. Why?
Snjez
Feb 15, 2020 marked it as dnf
Elena
On one hand, I think my reading experience with this book suffered, if a 4-stars rating can be called suffering, from bad timing. I read it on the tail end of a massive book hangover and I think that played a part in the difficulty I had to connect with the character(s).
On the other hand, I read this book on the tail of a massive hangover and yet, despite the few things that didn’t work perfectly, I’m here to say that I’d like the next book right now, please, if it’s not too much to ask.

I don’
Kazza
description

The book I've been waiting for. Not that I knew that it was Book of Orlando, just that I've been asking for this kind of paranormal/supernatural book to be written. Laura Lascarso delivered the goods (view spoiler)

There is a lot to unpack in the review, but unpack it I shall. I revelled in this story and I must discuss it.
(blog review to come)

I really need to breathe.
Truuss / Loveislovereview
5+++ Mind-blowing absolutely mind-blowing!
Imagine... a guardian angel and a ballet dancer.

Henri, a courier of souls, serving as a bridge between realms, meets Orlando when he was a little boy of six years. Orlando knows of Henri’s presence. He’s the only one who can see him. At sixteen they meet again.
Against all rules, Henri builds up a relationship with Orlando. And oh my goodness, what a relationship it is. The most beautiful partnership blooms.
For Orlando there is just one, he knew from when
Rosa
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This was interesting. The premise and the author unique interpretation about some myths is refreshing, and by the end of the book I was hopelessly hooked. The narrative pace is also different. The second person narrator, at first was confusing for me but I got used to it soon. The beggining and the final part fo the book made me invested in the story and the characters' fate. And I liked the characters' voices. I'm grateful Orlando behave as a real teen, not as a fifty something impersonating ...more
Christine
All the stars in the fucking sky!

RARELY does a book tick ALL my boxes, but this one did. I didn’t move a muscle until this was done. Lara out did herself

Now how the hell do I move on from here?? Are there other books out there like this? Someone please tell me there is

P.S. This has got to be the worst review but when a book is this good, I can’t find my words
Cristina
**BR with Elena, Inma, Rosa, Shile, Teal, Xia and Moony**

Book of Orlando, the first instalment of the forthcoming trilogy Mortal and Divine, is a poignant and powerful beginning to the story and I really loved it.

Chronicling the relationship between a young dancer and a disembodied semi-god, the story follows Orlando and Henri over many years, from the moment six-year-old Orlando manages to see Henri's invisible spirit in a park in one of Miami's poor neighbourhoods.

Given the complexity of
Laxmama
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVE

I finished this book last week and have started, erased began and deleted my entire review. Here’s the thing I am not good a getting my thoughts down, more so this being a book that deserves a worthy review. I recommend reading Shile’s review

I loved this book, I was thrilled just to have a new Laura Lacaruso story, as I am a huge fan of her writing. This was a big detour from what she has done in the past, as expected up to her standards. In my opinion this is a story to go in knowing as
haletostilinski
Before anyone freaks out about the MCD tag I have, (view spoiler).

I'm not quite sure how to feel at the end of this book. For the most part, I enjoyed it a lot and it has an amazing writing style of this wonderful author, and the
Tia
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. I loved it - it reminds me of the movie Meet Joe Black, but with a much better plot.

The story begins with Orlando playing on the swing as a little boy. He senses the presence of a spirit and talks to him as if he were a friend. The spirit, who goes by Henri, is a two thousand year old Nephilim half-God who lost his body as punishment and is now serving his “time” ushering soles between worlds.

Most humans can’t hear or sense Henri, and the
Jennifer  Ali
Two 5*'s in a row - im striking lucky!

BUT i am holding this 5* review hostage - because book 2 had better go the way i am hoping with that ending!

The writing style / POV is my least liked - yet it worked SO well in this book.

The sex - oh mama.

EDIT - ok i have only JUST realised this is the same author as 'When everything is Blue' So duhh....i literally could have given this a 5* before reading it. No wonder i loved it.
Donna
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
Peche Esse
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5. I feel like I'm rounding up to not break the 5 streak going with this book. I reserve the right to round down later.

Henri is a spirit who becomes ... obsessed? ... with a 6 year old Orlando. It's not as creepy as it sounds. We follow them as Orlando grows up and their relationship develops. It is like reading two diaries in parallel, or two letters, or that way two people tell you the story of how they met, passing the POV and narrative back and forth. Rather than irritating me, it brought
Oxy
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars. This book started off so good, then turned into a mess around seventy percent. I ABSOLUTELY did not care for Orlando,,,because WTF??? What Orlando needed was a really really good therapist, omg he kept screwing up Henri’s life. Orlando reminded me of me Boyd (from In the company of shadows), probably because i also didn’t like Boyd. Then don’t even get me started on Lena and Azrael, SMH. I fucking adored Henri - my poor baby- though i wish he didn’t coddle Orlando so much. I want to ...more
Tim Mason
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All that will can say is this... I could not put it down. I am with child(figuratively)for the remainder of the trilogy to be released. My patience will be tested in the extreme.
Em Wittmann
I'm not sure about this. RTC.
Vinylchoker
Chiara
Feb 16, 2020

• Thrown Off the Ice
  • I'm Straight, Right?
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Iron & Fire (Silk and Steel, #2)
  • Worship (On My Knees Duet, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • Shooting Star
  • My Dinner with Hayden: A Heated Rivalry Short Story (Game Changers 2.5)
  • Greenwode (The Wode, #1)
  • Adore (On My Knees Duet #2)
  • Shirewode (The Wode, #2)
  • Finding Finley
  • Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel #1)
  • Inside (Death Row Chronicles #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Gilded Cages
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
Laura Lascarso wants you to stay up way past your bedtime reading her stories. She aims to inspire more questions than answers in her fiction and believes in the power of storytelling to heal and transform a society.

When not writing, Laura can be found screaming “finish” on the soccer fields, rewatching Veronica Mars, and trying to convince politicians that climate change is real. She lives in
“As a spirit, I could be your angel. But a body made a demon out of me.” 1 likes
“It was on that particularly bleak day, in the summer of 1986, when I encountered you on an empty playground in the middle of a housing project known as Imperial Palms.” 0 likes