Start by marking “Morning Spy, Evening Spy: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Morning Spy, Evening Spy: A Novel

Morning Spy, Evening Spy: A Novel

Kareem was an Afghan resistance fighter of the 1980s and was once on the CIA payroll.
But now he's responsible for the murder of an American CIA agent in Pakistan, which may compromise an intricate, long-planned CIA operation to capture Osama bin Laden.
CIA officer Paul Patterson, who ran Kareem as an agent during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, sets out to track him
Published December 9th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Morning Spy, Evening Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Spy, Evening Spy

Start your review of Morning Spy, Evening Spy: A Novel
Jeffrey Keeten
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies
”We often attribute some kind of abstract, context-free, almost metaphysical evil to these people, and we think we are in a religious war. That’s a mistake. Islam has a way of mixing politics and religion, raising the stakes for both, and making the war look religious when it is in fact intensely political.”

This all begins with an assassination.

Ed Powers, a shadowy contractor for the CIA, is gunned down in Pakistan.

”Then it came. At the margin of his vision, Powers glimpsed flashes of
Jessica
Listening to. Mediocre. Actor reading this sounds exactly like the husband in the ketchup skit on a Prairie Home Companion. Hard to take seriously when I keep expecting to hear some one sing "these are the good years...ketchuuuuuup"

This book is good when we follow the job - personal life is predictable, uninteresting, hackneyed sexism.
Coki
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to. Really have to pay attention because there are a lot of dates and people and spy stuff. - very detailed spy stuff. Interspersed with details from pre 9/11 which adds an interesting context. Took forever to get through because I truly had a hard time keeping track of all the names and dates. The ending is open to interpretation and I'm choosing to pick the less horrific one.
John
This is a terrible book. The characters are bland and uninteresting and so is the plot line. This is one of those books that tries to be so realistic that it's actually pretty mundane. Most of the book takes place in meetings or private conversations, with precious little action for a spy novel. The ending is incredibly unsatisfying. This is one I wish I gave up before finishing.
Anderson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty psychological. I think it could be for teens 17+ ?
Gary
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good book--but not for reasons some people might be drawn to it. The way this book is marketed on its cover is that it is a "thriller" involving the CIA. A blurb quoted over the title describes it that way, and the cover art is of a man who looks like a young William Hurt running from a sinister-lighted White House.

That does not accurately portray this novel at all, and anyone lured into reading it carrying the "thriller" impression is bound to be sorely disappointed. This is not a CIA
Joe
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
VERY GOOD

Morning Spy, Evening Spy is the first novel I've read by this author and it is a very good one. A blend of fact and fiction, the book is a low key but very engaging espionage tale with an intelligence community insider's perspective on the events leading up to the 9/11 attacks. Our protagonist, Paul Patterson, is a senior CIA agent and agency trouble-shooter. He is tasked with solving the murder of a shady CIA "contractor" in Pakistan. During his investigation, Patterson soon realizes
Mark Pool
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well, despite many other reviews, I very much enjoyed this novel. I liked the main characters, especially Paul Patterson and Bill Cleppinger, even though they had their flaws. The collection of intelligence was fascinating. Also, the looming 9/11 attacks color all the events. Yes, there are a lot of characters coming and going, including the 19 terrorists entering the U.S. and taking flight training.
patricia
A good fast vacation read that centers on the politics between the agencies (FBI, CIA, NSA) around a murder investigation in Afghanistan, immediately preceding the World Trade Center attacks. The ultimate plot isn't breathtaking but the weaving in of actual facts and reports of the build up to 9/11 keeps it humming right along.
John Treanor
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one. I would disagree that this is any sort of thriller, as it was characterized in some reviews or maybe the publisher's blurb. It's more of a "CIA procedural". Somewhat slow paced, but seemingly more realistic than most shoot 'em up spy novels.
Eli
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carefully constructed and unsensationally rendered, the book nonetheless lacks any apparent point.
Tina
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tries to incorporate actual events related to 9/11 into an uncreative work of fiction.
Bobi
Feb 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I couldn't get into this one. I didn't even finish it!
Andria
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was an odd book - not my usualy enjoyment level for a spy novel. Written like a log or diary type entries. I found my mind wandering, and uninterested.
Hayden Ellington
Jul 23, 2018
Paul
Jan 03, 2012
J
rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2012