Start by marking “Where am I from?” as Want to Read:

Where am I from?

How do you answer this question, when a child is from multiple countries, can speak and understand many languages and is not living in the country they were born in?

'All the children of the world united. We're going to solve this riddle, they decided.'
Join the quest and find a universal answer to the question 'Where am I from?'.

Children from seven countries
Hardcover
Published by Faraxa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where am I from?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where am I from?

Start your review of Where am I from?
Maureen Saguna
I love the idea behind 'Where am I from?'. Not only does it answer children's most burning question, but it also manages to introduce different cultures and nationalities with the use of a few well-chosen sentences. The rhythm and repetition throughout will also make it a firm favourite with younger children (and the parents who will have to read it multiple times at bedtime)! This book is also special because of the original way in which it was illustrated. Using graffiti makes the ...more
Tamara
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just read "Where am I from?" Beautiful story... I love the rhyme scheme and the pictures are fantastic - well done!! Such a simple idea, yet it really hit home.
Claire Annette
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A group of children come together wondering where they come from. Each child thinks they know. It is the country where they live. But how can that be since they each live in different places? From Malta to Australia, each child describes their mode of transportation which include swimming with a dolphin, flying on a dragon, and riding on a lions back. None of them, however, can agree on the one place they are all from until the youngest child reveals the answer.
The brilliant illustrations are a
Janet
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of this book! As the story goes, a diverse group of children gather round to solve the riddle of where we are from. However, none of the answers feel right until the last (and youngest) child speaks up. I won't spoil it for you, but this book is a beautiful reminder that we are all united and have more in common than we have different about each other. The text is simple but on point, and the themes of unity, love, friendship, and appreciating the diversity in our world leave ...more
Χριστίνα Κωνσταντουδάκη
An amazing book with a touching story, narrated in a simple language yet so beautifully done. Children from different cultures and countries gather together, and they try as a team to solve the riddle "Where am I from?''. The final and "correct" answer to the question as an epilogue, made me tear up.

The illustrations of the book are something totally new in publishing as they are real graffiti/murals that the artist painted with spray paint on the walls of schools. So, this book has been
Mariabba
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really unique concept for a book. A book supported and created from its infancy by a large group of people around the world, illustrated entirely with spray paint murals, painted on the walls of schools. What a gift to the children who will see beautiful art when they go to school. The art is amazing and the story is so cute. The kids have their own unique way to see things straight and not overcomplicate notions the way adults do. Eric's answer to the question of where are you from is ...more
Heather Kinser
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the way this story makes us think about ethnic and regional origins in a fresh way. The cast of characters begins a gentle argument about where they are from. It seems each child has blinders on and can only view the question from their own perspective--until the youngest comes up with a universal answer that unites all children in a single origin story. A great choice for boosting a contemporary understanding that regional differences dont matter as much as we might think, accompanied by ...more
Chryssa Oikonomidou
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A book promoting kids intercultural competence. The reader follows a multicultural group of kids discussing their roots. Where are they from? The book answers this question in such a nice, real way: arent we all from the same place in the end of the day? I wont spoil any further. Just read it. This book will warm your souls like a big hug. A must have for multicultural children, ideal for bilingual / trilingual families, expats, but not only. All kids should be in touch with these kind of ...more
Sharon Giltrow
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is an amazing book that shows children from all around the world. I love how the text and illustrations are matched with features from that country. Especially the page about Australia :-). The ending is very clever but I won't spoil it, but it leaves the reader with a very important message. The use of graffiti art for the illustrations is pioneering. A fantastic book for all the children and adults of the World.
Nanette Heffernan
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We Are All Connected. WHERE AM I FROM is a tender story that helps children feel connected, regardless of what their address is. It draws on many layers from a birth country, to nationality, to mothers, showing children we are all connected. Make sure to take a second and third read to appreciate the illustrations, which are all real graffiti muralsstunning. ...more
Rania Dimitr
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading this amazing book , I tried to be in the position of the child who reads it, so I can judge it better...I was impressed both by the sensitive way of writing and graffiti work. And I was anxious to find out the answer...and the answer makes all things around us and our children so simple... I recommend to read this book to find out the answer. I believe children will love it.
Emma Wood
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a striking and memorable book, with vibrant graffiti illustrations that take readers around the globe, and beautiful lyrical language throughout.

The book seeks to answer the titular question, "Where Am I From?", and does so beautifully - the perfect ending, which I won't give away, shows how we are all different and yet all the same as well.
Chiara Battistelli
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a very original idea very well written and realised, with autentical pieces of art. I am sure all kids will love it; but it will also help and encourage parents around the world (in the many multicultural and travelling families nowadays exist) to answer this fundamental question, to their kids.
Gabi
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This unique picture book uses real graffiti art to illustrate the diverse backgrounds of kids from around the world. I love the book's central premise -- that answering the question "Where am I from?" is not answered simply with a country name or language. There's a celebration of diversity here and also a message of unity -- ultimately we're all from the same place!
Aya Khalil
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book that explores the popular question "where are you from" from a child's perspective. I love the different countries mentioned in the book and the illustrations that go along. Adorable book that encourages exploring other cultures!
Angeliki Pedersen
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The idea, the conception of the idea and the execution of the art are very unique, as unique as the children who are growing in poly-ethnic families in different countries.
Nell Elizabeth
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The reader is taken on a trip around the world with energetic visuals. I especially enjoyed the illustration imagining that inside a pregnant mom's belly is the whole universe.
Agatha
Mar 14, 2020
Elisavet Arkolaki
Oct 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Katie

• Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • Small Matters: The Hidden Power of the Unseen
  • The Fort
  • The Proudest Blue
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • One Hug
  • Lights on Cotton Rock
  • My Grandma and Me
  • The Gift of Ramadan
  • Ella
Elisavet Arkolaki is the author of the world's first, freehand graffiti-illustrated children's picture book, 'Where am I from?' (Faraxa Publishing, January 2020) and the curator of the guide 'How to Raise Confident Multicultural Children'. Accompanying the book is a range of FREE resources to help raise future global citizens. Simply go to https://bit.ly/2VMlH9c to get them.

The trickiest question