Start by marking “Sage Island” as Want to Read:
Sage Island

Sage Island

It's the mid-1920s and New York is shimmering with the hope and vigour of a younger generation in headlong pursuit of greater freedoms and pleasures. Watching from the sidelines, nineteen-year-old Savanna Mason struggles with the gravity of her perceived failures, finding release and security in the water. Savi believes that her swimming has the power to change her world. ...more
Published August 11th 2008 by Brindle and Glass Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sage Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sage Island

Keely Dunn
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of amazing things in this book, but I want to highlight one element I have rarely seen explored in fiction: the experience of failure as an athlete. Savi's reactions to her stumbles in swimming are authentic, making her even more likeable as the book goes on. Add in a masterful nonlinear narrative perfect for this story, lush descriptions that never overshadow the plot, complex secondary characters... just lovely.
Jerry Auld
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story that delves into so many deep places - especially our need to achieve and construct our own personality. If you have ever wondered what a great test of your soul would be, open these covers, and I dare you to roll back un-affected.
Angie Abdou
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Review forthcoming (November 1) on www.abdou.ca/litpicks.html
James
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this remarkable novel by chance at a second hand bookstore in NYC and was interested to find it was set in 1920s NY and California, based around true events, and written by a young Canadian author. I enjoyed Savi’s refreshing anti-heroine narrative, the unpredictable turns of the story, the accuracy of the historical detail, the smooth integration of the 1920s slang, physicality of the writing (swimming sections are particularly stunning), overall tight language and well-crafted pac ...more
Landra
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sage Island is an interesting book about failure, love, and opportunity. It tells the story of Savannah "Savi" Mason, a nineteen-year-old living in New York during the 1920s, the Flapper Era. Savi is an ardent swimmer who barely misses the cut for the Olympics. Later, she is sponsored to swim across the English Channel. However, when Trudy Ederle completes the swim just three weeks before Savi plans to attempt, her backers are no longer interested in financing her....you'll have to read it to fi ...more
Jodi McIsaac
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved Sage Island. The writing is beautiful, the setting is fascinating, the protagonist is extremely relatable. It took me a little bit to get used to the first-person-present-tense narration, but once I found my groove the rest of the story hummed along, um, swimmingly. The attention to detail was brilliant. Most of all, the beauty of the language was a pleasure to read. Would gladly immerse myself in another work by this author.
Gloria
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific read. It was focused on Savanna Mason and her desire to be a champion swimmer, first in the Olympics and then in the world of long distance swimming. She is driven to excel, and throughout the story we see her grappling with the 1920's attitudes toward women and women athletes. The most moving and evocative sections are definitely her mental reveries and wanderings while swimming. I was exhausted afterwards.
Kate
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book - beautifully written, fascinating characters and very engaging even though I was never a swimmer. Metaphorically I think the book is about perseverance which relates to so many aspects of life, and the period detail is wonderful.
D Green
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great story, characters, quirky 1920s details, evocative; interesting and well-written.
Allison
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was super interesting since I am a swimmer and it is so weird to look at the times that got them into the OLYMPICS in 1926 and think "Wow. If it were 1926, I would be an Olympian"
Giorgia
Ruth Linka
Aug 11, 2010
Mary
Oct 16, 2009
I'm a Canadian writer, living and working in Calgary, Alberta. My first novel, Sage Island, was released in 2008 with Brindle & Glass. Shorter pieces of nonfiction and poetry have been broadcast on CBC Radio and appeared in various literary and commercial publications including Geist, Event, The Globe & Mail and FASHION. I coach an adult masters swim team and have competed in long-distance ...more