Start by marking “Jackpot” as Want to Read:
Jackpot

Jackpot

From the author of the New York Times best seller Dear Martin - which Angie Thomas, the best-selling author of The Hate U Give, called "a must read" - comes a pitch-perfect romance that examines class, privilege, and how a stroke of good luck can change an entire life.

Meet Rico: high school senior and afternoon-shift cashier at the Gas 'n' Go, who after school and work ra
Published October 17th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published October 15th 2019)

Start your review of Jackpot
Laurie Anderson
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-the-best, ya
Hold on to your seatbelts, you guys. I got an early peek and this book is amazing!!!

A deeper review closer to the pub date, I promise!!
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

JACKPOT is the story of a teenage girl living about an inch above the poverty line. She works at a convenience store clerk which is how she ends up meeting the woman who bought the winning lottery ticket and also the rich young heir, Zan, who ends up playing willing accomplice to her heist to notify the woman of her good fortune and, perhaps, get a cut of that sweet, sweet cash.

I haven't read anything by this author before, although I do actually own her other book, DEAR MARTIN, and I had a
Mary H
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read this yet, just combatting an absurd rating from someone else who has certainly not read it. Will update when I've actually read it.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, own-arc
Wow. Wowowowow. I think this book made my brain explode a little bit, but in a good way? So much to think about after finishing this one. I’ll write more of a review once I process my thoughts better, but for now: preorder this one. Nic never disappoints, but she REALLY did something great with Jackpot.
Kate (GirlReading)
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
ooh this was so great!

the writing style, the characters, the plot, the pace, the discussions of race, money and privilege, the mystery, the romance, the relationships, the chapter structure; it was all brilliantly addictive and made it incredibly easy to highly recommend.

I’m still slightly unsure about how I feel about the ending but other than that, this was a fantastic book and one I enjoyed each and every moment reading.
Bookphenomena (Micky)
JACKPOT is the second book by Nic Stone that I’ve really enjoyed. She has a way of making you exist in her fictional world and get completely wrapped up her characters. This is book brimming with diversity, the have and have-nots and coming-of-age.

I didn’t know what to expect going into this read, I knew there was a lottery ticket and a young woman. What I got was the compelling character of Rico, working every hour outside of school to help her mum with keeping the eviction notice a
Alexandra
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don’t pickup this book if you have things that need done . I repeat, DON’T PICKUP THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE THINGS THAT NEED DONE.
Clara
omg omg omg omg omg omg

1. Nic Stone, can you please write me a husband? Because I fell in love with Justyce when I first read Dear Martin (and this book came out on my birthday, so it was a sign right?) and now I'm in love with Zan and *dies*
2. It's the first romance driven plot I loved in a long, long time.
3. The end killed me. It took me by surprise, which barely ever happens anymore, and I'm still not over it.
4. It's so much more than """just""" a romance.
5. NIC STONE
Briar
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright, I'm a total Nic Stone fan girl. I literally did football maneuvers in a ballroom to make sure I got this ARC. But, this one felt..off.
The story is told from Rico's POV with side anecdotes from the winning lotto ticket, her little brother's toy soldier, and other inanimate objects in an effort to offset Rico's unreliability. I wanted a deeper exploration into her partner in crime's thoughts. I also didn't like the constant reminder of how poor she was. It was redundant and often ca
Jen Ryland
I really enjoyed this one - tackles class issues while still telling a really entertaining story.

RTC

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I adore my queen, Ms Stone, so I knew I would devour her latest work. This was thought provoking, well developed, and fast paced. Full of ups and downs, twists and turns, I could not get enough.

Frtc
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
So. Fucking. Good.

Review to come 💕
Manon the Malicious
*4.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I don't know where to start. I read this two weeks ago now but I still remember most of it (which is unusual for me).
It was really good, Nic Stone offers us layered and flawed characters who pull you in and then, she wraps it up nicely with a captivating intrigue and romance. I flew through the pages and found myself reading at 3am, not knowing where the hours had gone. Everything about this made me feel. I f/>I
Sara (marvelousbibliophile)
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc
Review also posted on https://itsmarvelousbibliophile.wordp...

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with an arc via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Last year I read both Dear Martin and Odd One Out by Nic Stone and really liked them both. I love Nic Stone's writing style and how unique and important her stories are. Jackpot was a fun, heart-warming novel that had me crying and laughing, I'm so excited for this book to be out in the world so everyone can experience this story.

Jackpot follows Rico, a senior in high school who/>/>Thank
Carli
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5. Ahhhh I absolutely adored this one! Seventeen-year-old Rico avoids a wealthy classmate when he comes in to the gas station where she works on Christmas Eve. When she learns that a winning lottery ticket came from her store that night, she suspects that a little old lady purchased it. She enlists Zan, said wealthy classmate’s, help to track down the lady. Along the way, they become close, despite their differences. Like, I can’t even do this book justice with my description. It is funny, ...more
Lindsay Nixon
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was amusing but not something I’m quick to recommend.
It’s very YA-for-YA especially with the over-the-top-fantasy ending. I was like "oh, so this is a teen movie."

What I liked about this book: how well it painted a reality many teenagers face. It was a bright display of enmeshment and dysfunctional parenting. Not that I want to hate on Rico’s mom—but her reliance on her teenage daughter in unhealthy.

The story is hallmark “cute” — It isn’t the heavy-hitter Dear Martin
Kelly
This book shows just how much range Stone has as a writer and it solidifies my belief she's writing some of the best teen books FOR teens. She gets their voice and style.

The exploration of poverty and financial insecurity is really well rendered.

If you want humor, you'll do well here. The book is told with interwoven "voices" from inanimate objects that shed new perspective on the characters. Also? It's a nice romance that feels like it develops authentically.
Sarah Rosenberger
Read this in one afternoon because I couldn't put it down.
Anniek
Actual rating: 3.5

I received an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I really loved Nic Stone's previous two books, and I actually got to meet her in April this year, which was super lovely. So I was very excited to already be able to read her newest book. And for the most part, I really enjoyed this one too. It's an important read for sure. I don't think I've read any YA books that handle the topic of class and the impact money problems have on your life th
Divena
This book was one of the YA reads that wasn't on my radar at all. I've never read any books by Nic Stone so this was my first. Thank You Netgalley for granting me an arc. I'd say this was about a 3.5 as I had to knock some stars off my review for some things I had a problem with

So this is the story of Rico who is a girl living with her mom and little brother working pretty much full time while going to school to help her mother make ends meet. Rico is trying to track down this old lady who she believe
Slaa!!!
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG THIS BOOK. MY FEELINGS MY HEART THIS BOOK
- ̗̀ amy ̖́-
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

see my review on my blog: https://arosereads.home.blog/2019/09/...
Zaneta  @ I'm Fully Booked
Thank you to NetGalley for providing and eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Jackpot is my second Nic Stone book. I have read Dear Martin early this year and loved it, so I was over the moon when I received the ARC for this book. I thought, if it was in any way like the other book I've read, it would be a poignant story with a lot of commentary on some important subjects. I wasn't wrong.

Jackpot's main character, Rico Danger, doesn't come from much. Raised by a single
Stephanie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book. I really, really enjoyed it. I became really attached to the two main characters, Rico and Zan. I loved their ups and downs, and the message about how we have choices. The supporting characters also bring the whole story to life. I laughed often and some scenes got me choked up. (view spoiler) ...more
Kate (infinitelynovel)
Picked this book up on a complete WHIM and I ended up really enjoying it!! Really liked the author's writing style—I mean, what's not to like about the personification of inanimate objects?! (You'll know what I mean if you've read the book). 😉

Jackpot explores race, wealth (and lack thereof), and ultimately, highlights the fact that everyone does have a choice, even if you think otherwise.
Aisha
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite read of the year *i said what I said* this book was hot,smart and thoughtful ughhh why did it have to end @Nic Stone 😫😫. Rico was such boss I’m happy it ended with her having the space to live for herself without being a co parent/co breadwinner and instead a teenage girl with dreams. And Zan Zan Zan my literary baby, I enjoyed his growth, his generosity and overall in love nonsense , I would kill for someone to just stare at me with a dopey grin 💕🤧!!!!!!!
The Artisan Geek
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcase
10/9/19
One of my most anticipated reads of the rest of the year! Some very nice people gave me this book at YALC! :)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
USOM
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nic Stone is one of those authors I've read all of their books so far. I was so thrilled when I found an ARC of Jackpot at my local bookstore and knew I had to read it! Jackpot revolves around the question of what would we do if we won the lottery. But Stone takes two characters, Rico and Zan, and introduces their complex lives, Rico's poverty, and Zan's family expectations. Jackpot is a story about dreams, class privilege, family, and expectations. It's about the impact of an object. The storie ...more
Lorraine McCullough
A Nic Stone novel never disappoints. We’re so excited for this release in October.
Kristen Spain
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession...Jackpot was the first book I've read by Nic Stone, but it definitely will not be my last.

Things I loved about this book:

1. The relationship between Rico Danger and Alexander (Zan) Macklin. They are two teenagers from completely different backgrounds in so many ways (socio-economic status, goals, family responsibilities, race) but ended up falling in love.
2. The mystery and surprising twist behind the missing lottery ticket.
3. The friendships Rico made along the w

• Pet
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Full Disclosure
  • Patron Saints of Nothing
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • The Year We Fell From Space
  • Barely Missing Everything
  • Unpregnant (Unpregnant, #1)
  • Permanent Record
  • My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich
Nic Stone was born and raised in a suburb of Atlanta, GA, and the only thing she loves more than an adventure is a good story about one. After graduating from Spelman College, she worked extensively in teen mentoring and lived in Israel for a few years before returning to the US to write full-time. Growing up with a wide range of cultures, religions, and backgrounds, Stone strives to bring these d ...more