Jump to ratings and reviews

Midnight Sons #2

Alex's Atonement

Alex Belgarde has carried the guilt of his father’s death for more than ten years. Every year, as his family’s company falls deeper into debt, the guilt eats away more of his soul until there’s only one answer. Prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice to save his father’s legacy, Alex takes off on a frigid winter day with no radio and very little fuel in his seaplane. He’s using up the last of his reserve tank, preparing to drop from the sky, when he sees plane wreckage below.

Irene Rose has spent her life running away and chasing her dream. But after a possible terminal diagnosis, she realizes how lonely her life has become and is ready to forgive her sister and beg for her family’s forgiveness. Instead of arriving on the island of her birth, Irene finds herself stranded on an uninhabited island in the Gulf of Alaska. Unbeknownst to her, the pilot of the plane she chartered was a drug runner, so he didn’t alert authorities as they crashed.

While Alex’s illogical idea to save his father’s company is thwarted because of his compulsion to help, he finds purpose in offering aid to the beautiful and intelligent Irene. The attraction is mutual until Irene persuades Alex to tell her the real reason he can’t merely fly them to safety or call for help. Now the two castaways will have to fight the harsh winter elements, as well as the drug smugglers who lost their cargo in the wreck, if they want to make it home alive. Not easy tasks when Irene refuses to trust Alex to get her home safely. She simply can’t get over the fact that as talented, tough, and tantalizing as he is, he was going to throw his life away. Especially when her life will probably be cut short.

For the first time in his life, Alex will have to face his demons instead of running from them to win the girl and prove to himself that he’s a real hero…

334 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 10, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Carmen DeSousa

37 books632 followers
Reader Profile: First and foremost, I am a reader. From the moment I could hold a book, I've been fascinated with the written word. I enjoy almost everything, but lean toward romantic-suspense and magical realism. If you're looking for poor reviews, you won't find them here. The reason...life's too short to read bad books. If a book isn't at least three stars halfway through, I stop reading, and therefore, don't feel as though I have the right to review it. That's my policy! Please don't send me requests, though. If you are one of my cyber friends, I will eventually find you. :)

Author Profile: I write stories that overflow with romance, mystery, suspense, a hint of paranormal sometimes, and of course, tragedy. After all, what would a great story be without a tragic event setting the stage? All of my novels are sensual but not erotic, gripping but not graphic, and will hopefully make you cry, laugh, love, and hope.

New Series: Midnight Sons

#2 Land of the Noonday Sun
#3 Entangled Dreams
#4 When Noonday Ends
#5 Split Decisions

Creatus Series (Paranormal Romantic Suspense)
#0 Creatus (They Exist) The Prequel
#5 Creatus Talis

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (2%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Debbie DiFiore.
1,917 reviews206 followers
August 28, 2021
I really liked this book. Alex thinks it's his fault his dad died in an avalanche ten years ago. The company is failing and the idiot thinks has better off dead so he decided to take out his plane with very little has And no radio and just let his plane to down with him. He has maxed out his life insurance so that his siblings would get the money and save the company. I swear the scene where he tells everybody goodbye made me cry I still thought he was stupid but it did get to me he meets a girl at his brothers wedding and unfortunately he is a manwhore before the book starts so they sleep together. The next morning is to be his swan song and she was flying to her parents home she hadn't seen for 17 years. She had cancer and they removed it but if it returns she only has 50% chance of surviving and she is working her bucket list . I really liked her. Well she hires a pilot to fly her but he is shady. They crash on a bird sanctuary island and he is running drugs. Well guess w go flys by but little old Alex and he sees the downed plane and even though he wants to die, he really doesn't, but he can't let someone else die. He gets to island and then it gets interesting because Irene, his hookup, is there! And somebody wants their drugs. This was really good. I enjoyed it so much. I am not going to write anymore but believe me it is really good and I just loved them as a couple. A lot more angst and stuff happen and it definitely worth the journey.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Darcia Helle.
Author 30 books691 followers
April 17, 2020
What this book has: action, adventure, suspense, atmosphere, realism, romance, danger, emotional depth, complex characters, thought-provoking content.

What this book doesn't have: characters too stupid to live, generic plot, werewolves.

Alex's Atonement is book 2 in the Midnight Sons series, set in Alaska. Each of the books in this series features a different brother's story. While this book definitely can be read as a stand-alone, I recommend starting with book 1, Sam's Folly, because it adds insight into the family dynamics and because it's a great read.

If you're looking for an escape into the remote wilderness, with scenes that'll take your breath away and characters you can't help but love, this book's for you.
Profile Image for Marie.
389 reviews2 followers
December 27, 2020
3.5 stars- this book popped up on BookBub for me and it sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a shot. I really enjoyed it! The plot was unique- stranded on an Alaskan island, drug trade crimes, and a little romance. I also really liked Irene! I loved that she didn't want to be a stereotypical woman in a suspenseful situation. Instead, she kept her head together. The brothers in general were fun to read about and I'd like to check out the other books in this series to read more about each of them!

I did feel like that emotions were not fully captured in this novel. The characters were going through ALOT of stuff, yet the emotions were simply glossed over. There were also quite a few things that made me roll my eyes while reading. But, I enjoyed the book and would like to read more of her books in the future.
Profile Image for Sharon Rudolph.
1,584 reviews
April 12, 2022
Good book

This was a fun, exciting book to read! I loved the characters and the storyline kept me engaged from the very first page! I look forward to reading the rest of this series and finding out about the rest of the brothers!
346 reviews2 followers
December 30, 2020
Wild ride

Carmen has written a great adventure. Danger, drugs, survival, family and love.
This book has it all in spades.
Will definitely read more of her books.
252 reviews2 followers
March 11, 2020
For me, this was a great read - I read until 2:30 in the morning to finish it. Plenty of action. Good loving. Lots of personal things to get over.
282 reviews1 follower
June 12, 2020
Very enjoyable. Though a series, each novel is a stand-alone story. It is a fast read with both good and bad characters believable.
441 reviews3 followers
July 11, 2020
Story about a rescue pilot that intends to end his life but interrupts his mission to rescue a stranded writer. He not only changes his mind about taking his own life but falls in love with the lady writer.
Profile Image for Jan Locke.
939 reviews11 followers
March 20, 2020
Kept my attention

Nonstop action and a great visit to Alaska, especially after being wrecked on an island with drug runners after Alex and Irene. The romance was sweet, but the well written characters both faced really tough circumstances in life. I was anticipating and hoping they could find their way through their personal prisons. Some things were lacking, like a dialogue when Irene visited her family and what happened after Alex met Cal at the airport and then on Saint Paul Island. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this book.
614 reviews2 followers
December 31, 2020
Another good story except that NO ONE calls it San Fran. It is San Francisco. No short cuts, not appreciations. Yep. I am super snobby about that because that is home for me. Rest of the story was good.
Profile Image for Patty.
332 reviews1 follower
April 24, 2022
3.5 might be the fairest rating. The book is suspense and love story…where Midnight Sons pilot, Alex, rescues Irene, who was in a plane she’d chartered that was actually piloted by a drug runner. The plane went down near an Alaska island where the drug drop was to take place.
Profile Image for Linda Rae Williams.
263 reviews2 followers
March 11, 2020
Good

Nice story with some excitement. I like the settings. The Midnight Sons are interesting. It needs a tiny bit of editing
Profile Image for Teresa.
1,500 reviews1 follower
January 15, 2021
Interesting story

An interesting premise with interesting characters, but I struggled with the writing. The dialogue just didn't work for me and I thus disengaged from the story.
Profile Image for Cat.
349 reviews
March 13, 2021
I had a hard time understanding Alex. Irene has a host of issues as well. A lot of angst for one story.
190 reviews
December 2, 2022
Definitely different, something I wasn’t expecting. I loved both characters. I noticed the author has the female character in a fleeing situation. Can’t wait for the next book.
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.