Start by marking “Sam's Folly (Midnight Sons #1)” as Want to Read:
Sam's Folly (Midnight Sons #1)

Sam's Folly

(Midnight Sons #1)

Sam Belgarde never wanted to be the head of his family’s search & rescue team, but when life dumps responsibilities in your lap, you either run away or step up. He stepped up. He also never wanted to be a hero, but he and his search dogs can sense danger a mile away…

So when a bigwig fight promoter needs someone to search for his missing fiancée, Sam’s more than a little re
Published February 11th 2020 by Written Musings (first published January 24th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Sam's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam's Folly

Start your review of Sam's Folly (Midnight Sons #1)
Kris
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
Thank-you Ms. DeSousa for providing this Kindle edition on #GoodreadsGiveaways. Those of us who do a lot a reading appreciate new authors allowing us to sample their work. That said: honest review...

First, slow start. It seemed disjointed. Lots of facts, but no lines to connect. At about 5%, things started to fall into place and the story kicked along (MMA pun intended). This was actually a really good read once I slogged past the intro. It's a bit grittier than I'm used to; but then, DeSousa ma
Nancy Reads
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sam's Folly is the 1st book in the Midnight Sons Series. Five brothers risking their lives to rescue those caught in the death grip of the Alaska wilderness. Each book in the series is about a different brother and the woman they lose their hearts to. These man and woman are as tough as the Land of the Midnight Sun. The first book is about Sam Belgarde, who is the oldest brother and in charge of his family's company, Search and Rescue Alaska.

Nora Molina has come to Alaska to runaway. Her best h
Jan Locke
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
An Alaskan adventure filled with beauty, a family of Search and Rescue heroes and of course, a lady in distress. Not your average lady, however. Nora is an MMA champion on the run from her sleazy manager. Great start by meeting the family who runs Midnight Sons, a non-profit SAR. For me there was too much repetition of the main characters dilemmas and not enough depth of development as individuals. I do want to go.on to Alex's story though. ...more
Dorothy Rangel
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great suspense and romance book. Imagine being stranded with a handsome search and rescue guide. Sam and Nora may have found true love doing a snowstorm in the Alaska wilderness. Although Nora is running from her fiancé she has feelings for Sam. A sizzling read you don’t want to miss.
Chanel
3.75 Stars. This story is based on family and its legacy. The five Belgarde brothers run a search and rescue business in the wilderness of Alaska. Like most families, there is love, loyalty,and secrets. Sam, the oldest son, just happens to be keeping a doozy of a secret. Sam is drawn immediately to a mysterious, beautiful lady that has come to Alaska to hike Mount Denali. Sam knows this lady has secrets of her own.
Nora comes to Alaska to escape the controlling arm of her agent/fiancé. She wants
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was super lucky to win a Goodreads giveaway to get this read ...so awesome!! a beginning to a new series, and a new author to me ... wow wee, love that!! great book cover. and what a read. enjoyable read, i couldn't put it down. great visuals. i look forward to more from this series ... i see it will be so entertaining!! hooked. such a new fan. check out Carmen. well done!! ...more
April Prestegord
I am enchanted by this series. Each of the brothers is strong, thoughtful, and draws you into their life in their own way. This was the first book in the series and the one that grabbed me. Sam meets Nora, a strong, determined and scared woman trying to find her own way through a scary environment sure she can make it on her own. Sam is a man who has saved many people in his life and is confident, self assured, but guarded in his personal life. Reading the way each of them interacts with their s ...more
Becky
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Won a Goodreads Kindle copy. A romantic suspense story set in Denali National Forest. Characters are strong and plot was good.
Mimi Barbour
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, and at first, thought it to be the setting in Alaska... probably because I lived there in my early years. But then I forgot about where I was and just got into the characters. Ms. DeSousa has a huge talent for bringing them alive and making you care... it's a wonderful gift and I appreciated it so much. I actually read this book facing a brain operation and it took me out of myself and got me through the worst. I'll never forget... ...more
Ellen White
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Land of the Midnight Sun, stories of five brothers, working on missing cases of search and rescue, wanting love, in this untamed wilderness.
Interesting and good beginning to the series. Given audio which I enjoyed for my voluntary review
Tani Garberg
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read until I got to the description of how to make enchiladas. Crispy taco shell-NO! But other than that it was good.
Darcia Helle
Who doesn't love a bad boy? Match him with a tough, independent female, and you have a dream couple!

Many of you know I rarely read romance, so this book might seem like a stretch for me. It's really not. While I don't like formulaic romance novels, I do enjoy romance as an added element within mysteries, suspense, and adventure stories. Sam's Folly has all that and more.

Of course, it helps that Carmen DeSousa is a gifted writer. All of her books feature complex, unique, interesting characters. I
Louise Wardell
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
won this on goodreads good romantic suspense.
Strong characters and a good plot.
Tia
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-1, alaska, mma
Nora is a beautiful Argentinian looking to do a solo hike up the Denali before her marriage to Sergio, her manager. Sam owns a Search and Rescue company that teaches hiking safety and rescues lost/stranded hikers. Nora catches his eye when she takes a refresher course and intrigues him enough to want to know about this gorgeous woman. So when her fiancee shows up while he's preparing for his own solo hike offering to pay him to locate Nora he readily agrees in order to help his SAR company finan ...more
Marissa
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Kindle Copy Win

Search and rescue tracker is hired to find a missing fiancé of a promoter when she goes missing in Alaska. He is at first reluctant thinking she just a spoiled socialite that is wasting his time and the search dogs efforts but eventually he changes his mind as the family business needs the money.

The fiancé happens to witness a murder and she goes hiding in the wilderness of Alaska. She is used to hard winters and is irate that a tracker thinks she needs rescuing. To make
Diane Griffiths
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway

Sam's Folly is the 1st book in the Midnight Sons Series. There are five brothers that are experienced in the Alaskan wilderness that work to rescue those caught in trouble. This book in the series covers Sam and he is in charge of the company Search and Rescue Alaska.. he meets Nora who is there to get away and the story and romance continues.

It was a good story and it did catch my attention. I did enjoy this and will probably look for the other books in th
Karen
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
I received this book from Goodreads – 1st Read – thank you!

Sam’s Folly started really slow for me and both Sam and Nora seemed to have an over abundance of anger. For those reasons I almost put the book down. I’m glad I continued as the story line came together and I ended up enjoying the book, enough so that I will probably read the other books in the series.
Carol
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was good. It held my interest because it was not the same old story line the you get in a lot of other books these days. I did not see the cliffhanger coming so be aware of that. But it looks like there are other books in the series . So it was a good read and I will check out the other books.
Julia Alberino
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-group-books
Not my genre, but I did manage to get through it, and for fans of romance/suspense novels, this is a promising start to the series of 5 Midnight Sons books. The brothers are interesting enough characters, but I just could not relate to them or the female characters in any meaningful way. The biggest plus is the description of Alaska.
Tavi Kemps
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received the Kindle edition from Goodreads Giveaways. This is the first in a series about 5 brothers from Alaska who run a search and rescue business. The book started out slow but picked up part way through. It was easy to follow and you could guess how things would play out by the foreshadowing. I enjoyed the characters, especially the different personalities of the brothers. It was an easy and fast read. I will definitely read the other books in the series.
Alicia Marriott
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this to be a pretty typical romance novel. Predictable and obvious. Not my genre.
Julie Cavender
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 A little quick with the I love you's, but it was decent ...more
Heather
Feb 07, 2021 rated it liked it
3.0

I had high hopes for this but it fell flat for me. It was insta-love and lacked power. It was entertaining for most, but felt bummed near the end. Just kinda wanted it to be better.
Mitzi Cole
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
These books are a bit “Hallmark Channel-ish” so if you don’t like Hallmark movies, skip these. If you like Hallmark Channel movies - give this series a try.
Susan E Johnson
Feb 10, 2021
ruth hagen
Mar 20, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• SEALed at Midnight (Hot SEALs, #3)
  • Protecting His New Family
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • SEAL Justice (Brotherhood Protectors, #13)
  • In the Line of Fire (Pytheon Security, #3)
  • The Innkeeper's House (Hickory Grove, #4)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Rank (Lighthouse Security Investigations, #2)
  • Blindsided: (Book Two of The Guardians Series)
  • The Missing Sister
  • The Jetsetters
  • Winter Hawk (Evidence, #9)
  • Montana Dog Soldier (Brotherhood Protectors, #6)
  • All In (Sleeper SEALs, #9)
  • Shelter by the Sea
  • Hot SEAL, Dirty Martini (SEALs in Paradise)
  • Risking Trust (Private Protectors, #1)
  • Valentine
Reader Profile: First and foremost, I am a reader. From the moment I could hold a book, I've been fascinated with the written word. I enjoy almost everything, but lean toward romantic-suspense and magical realism. If you're looking for poor reviews, you won't find them here. The reason...life's too short to read bad books. If a book isn't at least three stars halfway through, I stop reading, and t ...more

Midnight Sons (3 books)
  • Alex's Atonement (Midnight Sons, #2)
  • Vince's Chance (Midnight Sons, #3)