Jump to ratings and reviews

Midnight Sons #1

Sam's Folly

Sam Belgarde never wanted to be the head of his family’s search & rescue team, but when life dumps responsibilities in your lap, you either run away or step up. He stepped up. He also never wanted to be a hero, but he and his search dogs can sense danger a mile away…

So when a bigwig fight promoter needs someone to search for his missing fiancée, Sam’s more than a little reluctant. His family's company is in financial trouble, though, so if searching for a spoiled socialite will save it, then he's willing to break the rules — just this once.

After witnessing a murder, Nora Molina needs to get away fast, and her best hope to escape without her passport is Alaska. A native of Argentina, Nora's accustomed to harsh winters and high elevation, so she gets more than a little irritated when some tracker thinks she needs rescuing. Even if he is get-out sexy. And even if he's the guy she stood up before leaving town. It's going to be a long few days.

When an unexpected storm rolls in, Sam and Nora find themselves in each other's arms — to keep warm. Things get a little too hot when it's clear someone wants the two of them to stay lost — permanently.

356 pages, Kindle Edition

First published January 24, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Carmen DeSousa

37 books632 followers
Reader Profile: First and foremost, I am a reader. From the moment I could hold a book, I've been fascinated with the written word. I enjoy almost everything, but lean toward romantic-suspense and magical realism. If you're looking for poor reviews, you won't find them here. The reason...life's too short to read bad books. If a book isn't at least three stars halfway through, I stop reading, and therefore, don't feel as though I have the right to review it. That's my policy! Please don't send me requests, though. If you are one of my cyber friends, I will eventually find you. :)

Author Profile: I write stories that overflow with romance, mystery, suspense, a hint of paranormal sometimes, and of course, tragedy. After all, what would a great story be without a tragic event setting the stage? All of my novels are sensual but not erotic, gripping but not graphic, and will hopefully make you cry, laugh, love, and hope.

New Series: Midnight Sons

#2 Land of the Noonday Sun
#3 Entangled Dreams
#4 When Noonday Ends
#5 Split Decisions

Creatus Series (Paranormal Romantic Suspense)
#0 Creatus (They Exist) The Prequel
#5 Creatus Talis

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
11 (7%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews
Profile Image for Tina Wainscott.
Author 46 books241 followers
January 7, 2022

Carmen is great about balancing romance and suspense without the graphic stuff, meaning violence, sex, and language. Sam is just trying to keep his family's rescue organization going, in the name of his father and family. His struggle is real, and we immediately care about him for it. And Nora is a tough gal in a really tough situation, trying to escape a trafficking relationship with a bad dude. You'll feel the cold but beautiful Alaskan landscape as they try to escape, resist their feelings, and find happiness.
Profile Image for Kris.
141 reviews5 followers
September 26, 2020
Thank-you Ms. DeSousa for providing this Kindle edition on #GoodreadsGiveaways. Those of us who do a lot a reading appreciate new authors allowing us to sample their work. That said: honest review...

First, slow start. It seemed disjointed. Lots of facts, but no lines to connect. At about 5%, things started to fall into place and the story kicked along (MMA pun intended). This was actually a really good read once I slogged past the intro. It's a bit grittier than I'm used to; but then, DeSousa makes it work with characters who are all the more believable for their uniqueness.

What do a famous MMA chica from Argentina, a 38 yr old single Alaska boy, a thug named Sergio and a German Shepard who responds to commands in German have in common? The makings of a pretty darn good romance. It's clear DeSousa loves to travel and has sourced her experiences to build her characters and settings. That made for a richer experience for me, the reader. Some times, conversations felt a bit gratuitous. Like, I was being over-fed information that wasn't really needed. As the book coalesces, you begin to see where she's going with all the loose threads and it actually becomes a submersive read; where I forgot what time it was until I finished around 3:30 a.m.

Four stars, as the book could use a bit more editing down - too long in places. But overall, I found her writing style (voice) and clever use of 3rd person perspective refreshing in a world that feels too intimate with all the "I, I, I, Me, Me, Mine" authors. I'm not a fan of reading other people's journals. I like a bit of perspective with my romance. If I didn't exactly like the characters at the beginning; I grew to love them at the end. And that's the mark of a good author: To make me believe anything's possible. Went ahead and bought book 2.
Profile Image for Nancy Reads.
646 reviews14 followers
March 29, 2020
Sam's Folly is the 1st book in the Midnight Sons Series. Five brothers risking their lives to rescue those caught in the death grip of the Alaska wilderness. Each book in the series is about a different brother and the woman they lose their hearts to. These man and woman are as tough as the Land of the Midnight Sun. The first book is about Sam Belgarde, who is the oldest brother and in charge of his family's company, Search and Rescue Alaska.

Nora Molina has come to Alaska to runaway. Her best hope to escape without a passport is Alaska. Being a native of Argentina, Nora is accustomed to harsh winters and high elevation. She is determined to lose herself in the wilderness. Unfortunately, the very man whom she is running from, has hired the best tracker in all Alaska and his search dogs. Sam's reluctant to take the job, but since his family's company is in financial trouble and the money offered is substantial he takes the job. Once Sam realizes that the very man who hired him to find his fiancee, is the reason Nora is running. Sam decides that maybe he will try to keep Nora for his very own. Sam has trust issues, but nothing to the trust issues of Nora Molina. This proves to make a very interesting story.
Profile Image for Jan Locke.
939 reviews11 followers
February 14, 2020
An Alaskan adventure filled with beauty, a family of Search and Rescue heroes and of course, a lady in distress. Not your average lady, however. Nora is an MMA champion on the run from her sleazy manager. Great start by meeting the family who runs Midnight Sons, a non-profit SAR. For me there was too much repetition of the main characters dilemmas and not enough depth of development as individuals. I do want to go.on to Alex's story though.
21 reviews
February 12, 2021
These books are a bit “Hallmark Channel-ish” so if you don’t like Hallmark movies, skip these. If you like Hallmark Channel movies - give this series a try.
Profile Image for Chanel.
1,833 reviews
June 11, 2020
3.75 Stars. This story is based on family and its legacy. The five Belgarde brothers run a search and rescue business in the wilderness of Alaska. Like most families, there is love, loyalty,and secrets. Sam, the oldest son, just happens to be keeping a doozy of a secret. Sam is drawn immediately to a mysterious, beautiful lady that has come to Alaska to hike Mount Denali. Sam knows this lady has secrets of her own.
Nora comes to Alaska to escape the controlling arm of her agent/fiancé. She wants nothing more than to return to her native country of Argentina. Traveling to Buenos Aries from California, via Alaska certainly isn’t the
most direct path. Nora is an accomplished hiker, a risk taker, and enjoys a high-octane lifestyle. With her profession, one needs to be an adrenaline junkie. This heroine’s profession is a first for me, as no other leading lady in any of the numerous books I have read, shared her career.
Sam and Nora fall in love too quickly, without building the trust needed for a real relationship. As danger lurks, they will have to trust each other or they have no chance for a future.
The author’s very descriptive writing on the beauty and dangers of Alaska, grabbed my interested. I found myself on the internet looking up Denali National Park.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Edwards.
4,625 reviews9 followers
February 18, 2020
I was super lucky to win a Goodreads giveaway to get this read ...so awesome!! a beginning to a new series, and a new author to me ... wow wee, love that!! great book cover. and what a read. enjoyable read, i couldn't put it down. great visuals. i look forward to more from this series ... i see it will be so entertaining!! hooked. such a new fan. check out Carmen. well done!!
Profile Image for Becky.
110 reviews
April 23, 2020
Won a Goodreads Kindle copy. A romantic suspense story set in Denali National Forest. Characters are strong and plot was good.
Read
May 29, 2020
I am enchanted by this series. Each of the brothers is strong, thoughtful, and draws you into their life in their own way. This was the first book in the series and the one that grabbed me. Sam meets Nora, a strong, determined and scared woman trying to find her own way through a scary environment sure she can make it on her own. Sam is a man who has saved many people in his life and is confident, self assured, but guarded in his personal life. Reading the way each of them interacts with their surroundings, and each other was fascinating, heart wrenching, and had me completely engaged from beginning to end. I couldn't wait to read the next book, and even pre-ordered the third. I am definitely a Carmen DeSousa fan!
Profile Image for Mimi Barbour.
Author 183 books665 followers
July 15, 2020
I loved this story, and at first, thought it to be the setting in Alaska... probably because I lived there in my early years. But then I forgot about where I was and just got into the characters. Ms. DeSousa has a huge talent for bringing them alive and making you care... it's a wonderful gift and I appreciated it so much. I actually read this book facing a brain operation and it took me out of myself and got me through the worst. I'll never forget...
7,263 reviews21 followers
December 18, 2020
The Land of the Midnight Sun, stories of five brothers, working on missing cases of search and rescue, wanting love, in this untamed wilderness.
Interesting and good beginning to the series. Given audio which I enjoyed for my voluntary review
610 reviews2 followers
December 31, 2020
This was a fun read until I got to the description of how to make enchiladas. Crispy taco shell-NO! But other than that it was good.
Profile Image for Norma.
626 reviews
March 1, 2021
Not Bad.

A decent read that didn't bore me. A good story with likeable characters, a neat setting, and strong plot. Worth my time.
254 reviews8 followers
March 12, 2021
Easy to read, fast paced book. Predictable story with suspense to make it worth reading. Lots of boys in the Midnight Sons so thinking there's a number of books to come.
Profile Image for Darcia Helle.
Author 30 books690 followers
February 12, 2020
Who doesn't love a bad boy? Match him with a tough, independent female, and you have a dream couple!

Many of you know I rarely read romance, so this book might seem like a stretch for me. It's really not. While I don't like formulaic romance novels, I do enjoy romance as an added element within mysteries, suspense, and adventure stories. Sam's Folly has all that and more.

Of course, it helps that Carmen DeSousa is a gifted writer. All of her books feature complex, unique, interesting characters. I can't help but care about what happens to them.

This story is packed with action and emotion, making it ideal for just about any reader.

549 reviews6 followers
March 5, 2020
won this on goodreads good romantic suspense.
Strong characters and a good plot.
Profile Image for Tia.
604 reviews
January 23, 2021
Nora is a beautiful Argentinian looking to do a solo hike up the Denali before her marriage to Sergio, her manager. Sam owns a Search and Rescue company that teaches hiking safety and rescues lost/stranded hikers. Nora catches his eye when she takes a refresher course and intrigues him enough to want to know about this gorgeous woman. So when her fiancee shows up while he's preparing for his own solo hike offering to pay him to locate Nora he readily agrees in order to help his SAR company financially as well as spend time with her. There's so much more to her story and reason for wanting to do the hike that could put them both in danger when bad weather heads their way!
I like reading about the Alaskan wilderness and like Sam and his family very much, but when he wanted to make "enchiladas" with hard shell tacos it was a no way from this Texas girl.... corn tortillas are how they're made. Nora is a tough female with a soft side, and they make a good couple with their strength of body and soul. Hopefully, she can teach him to cook better! LOL
Profile Image for Marissa.
2,922 reviews32 followers
February 18, 2020
Goodreads Kindle Copy Win

Search and rescue tracker is hired to find a missing fiancé of a promoter when she goes missing in Alaska. He is at first reluctant thinking she just a spoiled socialite that is wasting his time and the search dogs efforts but eventually he changes his mind as the family business needs the money.

The fiancé happens to witness a murder and she goes hiding in the wilderness of Alaska. She is used to hard winters and is irate that a tracker thinks she needs rescuing. To make things worse she stood him up before she left town despite his good looks.

They will have to fight their chemistry as well as someone who does not want them to be seen again, A charming romance.
Profile Image for Avidchic reader.
311 reviews
August 13, 2021
DNF....lordy there was some good reviews and summer and aaaahed for a awhile, the took the plunge. Nope shouldn't have. I like series so the brothers intrigued me. But could not find a firm liking for the hero.
I think I've read to many military books as I'm leaning toward kick ass alphas with brains.
The hero figured things out ok but chapter 7 just said no, no no. Without chucking in a spoiler...I'll just say the hero discovers a key element to the heroines dilemma....but does what he does involving her anyway.....just seemed wrong to me and turned me off. To sappy as well....sorry for all the Sam Folly lovers, I just couldn't do it
Profile Image for Diane Griffiths.
189 reviews4 followers
June 11, 2020
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway

Sam's Folly is the 1st book in the Midnight Sons Series. There are five brothers that are experienced in the Alaskan wilderness that work to rescue those caught in trouble. This book in the series covers Sam and he is in charge of the company Search and Rescue Alaska.. he meets Nora who is there to get away and the story and romance continues.

It was a good story and it did catch my attention. I did enjoy this and will probably look for the other books in the series

Profile Image for Julia Alberino.
378 reviews6 followers
March 30, 2020
Not my genre, but I did manage to get through it, and for fans of romance/suspense novels, this is a promising start to the series of 5 Midnight Sons books. The brothers are interesting enough characters, but I just could not relate to them or the female characters in any meaningful way. The biggest plus is the description of Alaska.
Profile Image for Karen.
135 reviews7 followers
April 28, 2020
I received this book from Goodreads – 1st Read – thank you!

Sam’s Folly started really slow for me and both Sam and Nora seemed to have an over abundance of anger. For those reasons I almost put the book down. I’m glad I continued as the story line came together and I ended up enjoying the book, enough so that I will probably read the other books in the series.
9 reviews
January 15, 2021
This book was good. It held my interest because it was not the same old story line the you get in a lot of other books these days. I did not see the cliffhanger coming so be aware of that. But it looks like there are other books in the series . So it was a good read and I will check out the other books.
Profile Image for Cat.
347 reviews
May 23, 2021
I read Alex’s story first and to be honest I am no fan of players. Alex is just as shallow in this first book. From these two books I can tell you that if you are a fan of soap operas this will work for you. Too much angst and drama for me. Very slow start and the pace is generally slow and not much suspense.
21 reviews
April 26, 2020
I received the Kindle edition from Goodreads Giveaways. This is the first in a series about 5 brothers from Alaska who run a search and rescue business. The book started out slow but picked up part way through. It was easy to follow and you could guess how things would play out by the foreshadowing. I enjoyed the characters, especially the different personalities of the brothers. It was an easy and fast read. I will definitely read the other books in the series.
182 reviews
December 2, 2022
Definitely wasn't what I expected. But over all I really enjoyed it. I hope Sam tells Daire he's his dad. I hate for him to find out another way. Glad Nora got her happily ever after. Definitely going to get the rest in the series.
Profile Image for Alicia Marriott.
175 reviews3 followers
March 8, 2020
I found this to be a pretty typical romance novel. Predictable and obvious. Not my genre.
Profile Image for Hetty.
58 reviews
February 8, 2021
3.0

I had high hopes for this but it fell flat for me. It was insta-love and lacked power. It was entertaining for most, but felt bummed near the end. Just kinda wanted it to be better.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.