Start by marking “Liar Liar: Breaking the Silence on Sexual Assault” as Want to Read:
Liar Liar: Breaking the Silence on Sexual Assault

Liar Liar: Breaking the Silence on Sexual Assault

Laurie Katz has always been a city girl. She thrived during her childhood in Boston, MA, and was all set to explore new places, beginning with her college experience in Chicago. Just three weeks in, however, that college experience took a sinister turn.

What had started as a fun night out ended with Laurie alone in her dorm room, struggling to even think about what had happ
Published February 20th 2020 by Trigger (first published January 28th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Liar Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liar Liar

Start your review of Liar Liar: Breaking the Silence on Sexual Assault
Schizanthus Nerd
Before I say anything else, I want to make a few things clear. I believe Laurie. What she experienced - being sexually assaulted, the perpetrator’s subsequent behaviour, the harmful responses she received from friends and university staff members - was horrific and she is not to blame for any of it. She deserved to be believed and supported while she was at college and she deserves those same things now.

What Laurie has accomplished here is remarkable. Writing about the events of your life is a
Claire
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liar Liar is a hauntingly personal memoir of sexual assault.

In this frank and conversational book, Laurie Katz is pushing boundaries and breaking the silence on sexual assault. She discusses how there is a stigma attached to being raped, how the subject is taboo and opens up not only about the assault itself but the distress in the aftermath.

Laurie bravely shares her own experiences, her efforts to get support and justice, and tells of the strength it takes to begin to heal.

I honestly think thi
Katie
A haunting memoir of sexual assault that shows just why the #metoo movement is so necessary. Laurie writes candidly about her experiences and brings the reality of how it affects its victims into harsh light.
Pooja Banga
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of a honest review

First of all ,I would like to say I am very vocal about this issue and my opinions might hurt the male community.

Why the fuck does it always happen that the victim is portrayed as wrong and system sides with the culprit?

I thought this is the case of Indian society but this is everywhere.

"I could have been wearing a
burlap sack and I still would have been raped. This is just a part
of the story and it’s
Kayla Hindle
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liar Laurie is both personal and universal in its exposure of campus sexual assault. First-time author Laurie Katz demonstrates a style that is both candid and conversational in this silence-breaking book. The stigmas around rape and sexual assault are laid bare, illustrating not only the distress of the crime itself, but also the efforts to seek support and justice in the aftermath. Bravely sharing difficult details that often get buried, Liar Laurie takes the reader inside the personal struggl ...more
Sophie
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was free and sent to me as an ARC on NetGalley. However, all reviews are of my own opinion.

I have so much to say about this book. First, I just want to say how refreshing it is to read a book and relate to every single word. Laurie wrote her story in such detail that it feels real for the person reading it - as I was reading the book, I was able to understand other peoples views and opinions. Sometimes it’s hard and you feel alone but after reading this I felt a close connection with t
Natalie D.
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
cw: sexual assault, rape, eating disorders

Have you ever heard of the red zone? No - not in football. THIS red zone represents the months in which college sexual assaults are most likely to happen, and occurs between August and October (aka the first few months of university) every year. Liar Liar is Laurie Katz's story - an autobiographical telling of her college experience, centered around the sexual assault that she experienced in her first term and sprinkled with advice for readers who may ha
Dana
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m putting this review on both editions cause I wasn’t sure which I should put it on- also adding that when I talk about tv shows moving through time and then revisiting things the show that does this that sticks out the most is The Witcher. This book moves around like that and it’s pretty cool reading it and seeing it all come together (although not confusing like The Witcher can be :)

Here’s my review!

This book. Wow this book. It is upsetting of course, but also offers so much advice and I l
Meghan
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Independent Publishers Group - Trigger Publishing in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

My heart was broken for Laurie when I read this book. What seemed to be a simple college party turned into a case of sexual assault. But what really made me angry was the fact that the university without even hearing her side of the story not only dismissed her case but threatened to have her expelled if she
Sveva
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for this advanced copy of Liar Liar.
This survivor story absolutely comes with a trigger warning, which I feel is so important that they included that right at the beginning.

Wow. I have so many things to say, but.. just wow.
Laurie is such a brave, inspiring woman. I'm sure writing her story must have been tough, not as tough as facing all the pain that the trauma caused to her. I really appreciate that she shared everything, including the parts that s
Kru
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every time there is a sexual assault, victim blaming springs up, especially when the victim is a female. From asking questions that indirectly and directly make the victim feel it all happened because of them, to making them guilty about ruining the life of the perpetrator(?) and so on, to keep bullying them for the strength they garnered to come out with the accusation in public, people don't stop making life unbearable.

The matter of consent is so much an assumption and does not exist for most
Johnna Whetstone
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written, powerful, but absolutely heartbreaking story. It was very difficult to hear Laurie Katz story, from the assault itself to the assault by everyone after, who didn’t believe her and would not listen. This book will definitely have you in emotional turmoil, it’s a difficult read, and may not be one all can even read, as it could be quite triggering. I think that Laurie Katz was telling the truth, but it is quite difficult to read about someone going through what she did ...more
Cherlynn (cherreading)
"A girl should be able to tell a guy he can take her bra off and not be obligated to have sex with him. Maybe she changed her mind, maybe she had no intention of doing it in the first place. If she was drunk she can't consent anyway. It is still rape even if you do not say the exact words, "stop," or, "no" and you do not need to verbally say anything for a rape to still be just that. If someone stopped eating a cupcake after a bite, would you shove it in their face?"

A good book that's badly
Daman
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
In her powerful memoir, Laurie shares the story of sexual assault and coming out of it. When Laurie was just 18 years old, she moved away to Chicago for school, and within her first month there, she was raped. She had her life taken away from her at an age when she was meant to be figuring life out. Her honest account also sheds light on what survivors go through: friends not believing her, victim-blaming by schools and authorities, and law enforcement not taking it seriously. Laurie opens a win ...more
Lauren Ramires
I enjoyed her writing and think she’s a powerful and brave person. The summary though leads you to believe there would be more info on the interaction of the case between her and her school, precisely the topic of my thesis and why I picked up this book, but that wasn’t the case and is the only reason I lowered the star rating. All in all it’s a powerful read and I wish I could invite her to my graduation to read her speech.
Caroline David
What a powerful story of a survivor telling her story and calling out the powers that be who wronged her on so many levels. This should be required reading for people entering college and I will definitely have my future children read this before going to college so they know about consent from every angle and how things should be properly handled because this situation was horrible.
John
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurie’s retelling of her story is very sobering and hard to take in at points. This is a must read for any parent, friend, or relative of a survivor of sexual assault to better understand the challenges they face from school administrators to the courts.
Kendra M

• The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness
  • Luster
  • Dear Edward
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Detransition, Baby
  • I Know You
  • I Made a Mistake
  • A Nearly Normal Family
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • September Love
Laurie Katz is a rape survivor and advocate. After she was sexually assaulted during her freshman year of college in 2011, Laurie struggled with her mental health.

She is very grateful for her life now, thanks to the the help she eventually received. She now lives in Boston with her husband, their three cats, and their fish. She loves her work as an elementary teacher and she enjoys running, hikin