Start by marking “Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)

Dark Memento

(Verona Bay #1)

Welcome to Verona Bay, a small coastal town where the secrets just won’t stay buried—and people aren’t always who they seem.

She was the one that got away…

Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published October 15th 2019 by KR Press LLC (first published September 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Memento, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Memento

Start your review of Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Dark Memento by Katie Reus

Action packed romantic suspense. 1st in the Verona Bay series.
Keeps you guessing and on the edge through the end. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.

For the second time, a serial killer is after Serenity. The killer is hiding in plain sight and threatening Serenity’s closest friends. The FBI and Lucas keep Serenity protected but those closest could be in deadly danger.
Serenity is hesitant to let Lucas become more than a friend. He is willing to wait
Nicola
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Katie Reus kicks off her latest series with murder, suspense and romance as history begins to repeat itself in Verona Bay.

description She was the one that got away…”

I’m not going to say much on the storyline here as I never do when there’s a whodunnit, just know it’s one which keeps you on your toes, introducing twists and turns that bring a darker atmosphere alongside a lightness created by Serenity’s daughter, Harper and the building friends-to-lovers romance between Serenity and Lucas.

description I like
Deborah
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book opens with Savannah and her twin sister Serenity. They’re strapped to makeshift wooden tables on a small cabin. Kidnapped by the serial killer Michael Black.

Savannah dies but Serenity escapes and Black is captured. He’s spending life behind bars and Serenity is moving on with her life. Well she’s trying her best. She’ll never escape the nightmares and the torment of losing her twin.

She’s now a mother and a widow. Years after the disaster that changed her life she moves back to Verona
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I gotta hand it to the author, I tried to guess who the culprit was twice and was wrong both times. She didn't try to trick you into believing one over multiple other options, which made it hard to pinpoint who it was. I love it when an author can fool me like that.

I love the new setting for this series and I have high hopes for all the Jordan brothers. Lucas Jordan was awesome. I melted with the interactions with him and Harper. I do wish his and Serenity's relationship built a bit faster but
Claire Robinson
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "The world is a screwed up place ..." Stars!

Welcome to Verona Bay the small town that widower and single mother; Serenity Washington has returned to, to start over again and raise her young daughter.

She’d been a victim once… Never again.

This is the town she grew up in, and also the place where here memories are the hardest to deal with, because most of them contain her twin sister, a sister she watched die, the guilt and grief of being the killer’s only surviving victim is still strong,
Carvanz
Audiobook: Narrator Heather Coster and Jeffrey Kafer

Exceptional narration by both of these narrators. This has a lot of drama and some intense moments. Ms. Coster and Mr. Kafer both did an excellent job of adding to these moments which ramped up my enjoyment of this story.

No one does romantic suspense better than Katie Reus! The drama and action starts at page one and never lets up. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and ended up reading this in one sitting, it was just that good.

description

I
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
As my favorite genre, this book hits all the marks for a great Romantic Suspense story. The plot was very intriguing and the way that it was written had me guessing all the way to the very end. I really enjoyed trying to figure out who the villain was, and being completely surprised. And boy was the villain really evil. The romance between Serenity and Lucas was sweet and really intense, considering the danger that they face. I’m really hoping for more stories about this town and of course Lucas ...more
Kate's Corner
Oct 06, 2019 marked it as 08-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
My interest stopped when we got the POV of the bad guy in the book. Just me in that respect.
Anita
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-supense, arc

This romantic-suspense kept me guessing until the author decided to reveal who the baddie was. I really, really like it when I can't figure it out and that is the high point for this book. The setting is in a small coastal town in Florida, but it could have been set anywhere. The setting didn't live, it didn't add anything to the story and that is a major disappointment. Both
Eight years ago Serenity and her twin sister Savannah were captured by a serial killer. Serenity escaped, but not before she was forced to watch her sister die. Although she's tried to move on with her life Serenity has always felt like a piece of her is missing so after her husband dies she's returned to her hometown with her young daughter Harper. Just when she was starting to feel settled again someone starts leaving her gifts, starting with a bracelet that used to belong to her sister, one ...more
Eva Millien
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eight years ago, Serenity Washington was lucky to escape after watching her twin sister’s murder. After her sister’s killer was caught, she relocated and tried to move on with her life. She started a family, but after her husband dies unexpectedly, she moves back to the last place remembers being happy, Verona Bay. Within months of her homecoming, she starts receiving gifts and taunting notes, which has her turning to the local sheriff for help. She has no doubt that she’s the ultimate target, ...more
Susan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the Verona Bay series! Here we meet Serenity Washington who has moved back to her hometown after a horrific history there. She’s got a great business, friends, and Lucas who’d like to be more than friends. This story has everything I look for - dead body , twisted killer that I couldn’t guess , a hottie love interest , and a fast paced, action filled story right to the end ! I can’t wait for what’s next in Verona Bay!

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Donna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Memento is a riveting tale that will keep you guessing. Someone is gas-lighting Serenity. They’re sending her mementos from her twin sister who was murdered eight years ago. But the murderer is in prison. This mind bending story gives us several suspects and winnowing them down won’t be easy. Keeping Serenity and her daughter safe falls to former Marine Lucas Jordan which is fine by him because he has fallen for the young widow and will let nothing harm her. This story is filled with twists ...more
Kimberley C.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this suspenseful story! And better yet, I really didn’t guess the “bad guy” until the very end! Well done! Good characters and storyline. 4 stars from me!
Sandy S
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date September 10, 2019

She was the one that got away…

Eight years ago Serenity Washington watched as her twin sister was murdered. She was lucky to escape the same grisly fate. With her sister’s killer in jail, she relocated and tried to move on with her life. She married a man in the Air Force and started a family, but when her husband dies
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Inkslinger PR and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Katie Reus is a master of the romantic thriller genre – her books have the exact amount of suspense to temper the romance, enough so that I usually end up reading her books in single sitting!

With Dark Memento; Katie Reus gives a fan – freaking – tastic start to a new
A Klue
Serenity, the heroine, had a light at the end of the tunnel, folks. That being Lucas, the hero, who was worth it all to wind up with him after the unimaginable torment/agony she’s been through. Seriously, this gal has gone through the wringer and then some. That opening scene….My, oh, my! As heart pounding, disturbing, and tragic as it was, I loved how strong, resilient, and determined her character was right from the get go.

I’ve shied away from serial killer drama based books over the years.
Ezinwanyi
This book started immediately with a traumatic incident. Serenity and her twin sister Savannah Washington were kidnapped and tortured by the serial killer Michael Black. It was suspenseful and angst-filled in the first few chapters. Serenity escapes but her twin sister didn't survive the ordeal but the killer was captured.

Serenity tries to build her life despite the PTSD, she got married and had a daughter. When her husband dies, Serenity moves back to her hometown of Verona Bay. She opens a
Sofia Lazaridou
Dark Memento is the first book in a brand new series called Verona Bay by Katie Reus. I am not sure if the series will follow Serenity and Lucas, but I got the feeling that each book in the series will feature a different couple. It doesn't matter much since the suspense part of the story ended in this book and book #2 will have a different villain.

I liked the suspense more than I liked the romance. We get tons of info about the villain early in the story, even though we don't get a name. So we
Cathy Geha
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Memento by Katie Reus
Verona Bay #1

Attention grabbed from page one when Serenity Washington is trying to free herself and her sister from the clutches of a serial killer known as “The Shepherd” I read on to find out how she survived. A bit was said about her life in the intervening eight years but the story really begins when she moves back to Verona Beach, sets up business as a dog groomer and is attracted to ex-Marine Lucas Jordan.

Serenity has a young son, a business and a few friends in
Shelley
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dark memento comes back to haunt her present

Serenity and her twin sister are kidnapped by a serial killer who has plagued their small town and college. When Serenity realises her twin hasn’t survived, she knows she has to escape by all means necessary. Fast forward eight years later, she returns to Verona Bay with her daughter, after her husband dies while deployed. She has now started receiving “dark mementos” from her kidnapping and people she loves have either disappearing or turning up
Stacey
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eight years earlier Serenity and her twin sister were kidnapped, and Serenity was the only survivor. Now, someone is leaving her mementos from that day, and friends start disappearing or winding up dead. With her sister’s murderer in jail, Serenity, Lucas, the police, and the FBI have to find out who is behind the crime before someone finishes what wasn’t finished eight years ago.

The book grabbed my attention and kept it until the end. I really enjoyed the suspense and thought it was
Barbara
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Katie Reus’ new series takes us to Verona Bay, Florida, a small coastal town with a dark past. Eight years ago, a serial killer was on the loose and held and tortured two sisters. Serenity Washington survived that torture, but her twin sister did not.

Having spent years away from Verona Bay building a new life, Serenity has returned to her hometown as a widowed, single mom. Settling in with a new business and friends, Serenity and her daughter are at peace…until a message is left on her
Erin Lewis
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Star Review Dark Memento (Verona Bay #1) by Katie Reus

AUDIO REVIEW:

I listened to this book on audio and was invested right from the start, The narrators Heather Costa and Jeffrey Kafer, who are both new to me, did a good job and enhanced my listening pleasure.

This was a a book filled with danger, secrets, surprises. The intrigue and suspense, not to mention the danger kept me on the edge of my seat as I listened to this story.

Will Lucas be able to keep Serenity safe as they put the pieces
Ashley
This book kept me on the edge of my seat and I didn't want to put it down! I thought I figured out who the killer was twice and I was completely wrong. I loved it!

Serenity was a strong woman. She survived being kidnapped, losing her twin, her husband, and now being targeted again. I instantly liked her and continued to be amazed at how strong she was, even when she was breaking down.

Lucas was the perfect choice for her. He was caring, hard working, and most importantly protective but not
Linda Rimer-Como
What a fantastic book! The story line is filled with suspense, mystery, fear, doubt and a growing attraction. The characters are unique and have great interaction as they band together to find out who is murdering people. Love this author, always gives us exceptional books.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book; all opinions expressed are my own.
Tracie R
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgally
A thrilling start to the Verona Bay series. Dark Memento is an engrossing romantic suspense with action, twists and a whodunit that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. I will be recommending and looking to read more.
Iman
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not connect with the main characters, so it was a bit complicated to stay engaged with the story.
Yvonne
2.5
I had a tough time with this one. I ended up skimming my way to the end.
Bobbie
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a total thriller ride of great story. It was suspenseful, scary, and yet there was some romance. I generally do not read serial killer stories, but since I love almost anything Katie Reus writes, I knew I had to read this story. It starts with twins being kidnapped and tortured; one of whom dies, and the other manages to get away and help bring the killer to justice. She moves away from her hometown, marries a soldier and has a daughter. When her husband is kikl d in action, she decides ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Explosive Vengeance (Vengeance, #3)
  • Covert Vengeance (Vengeance, #2)
  • Hard Asset (Cobra Elite, #2)
  • Fallen (Deep Ops, #2)
  • Colder Than Sin (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #2)
  • Stealing Vengeance (Vengeance, #1)
  • Fighting For Her (Wilde Ways, #5)
  • Lethal Nights (Brute Force, #3)
  • Black Tie (Black's Bandits #2)
  • One Hot Holiday
  • Total Control (Alpha Crew, #4)
  • Echo (Linear Tactical #7)
  • Fever (Dark Kings #16)
  • Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9 #3)
  • SEAL JUSTICE (Brotherhood Protectors Book 13)
  • 1st Shock (Schock Sisters, #1)
  • Slay All Day
  • Shadow Redemption (Fortress Security #11)
Katie Reus is the New York Times, USA Today, & IndieReader bestselling author of the Red Stone Security series, the Moon Shifter series and the Deadly Ops series. She fell in love with romance at a young age thanks to books she pilfered from her mom's stash. Years later she loves reading romance almost as much as she loves writing it. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a writer. ...more