Start by marking “On the Run” as Want to Read:
On the Run

On the Run

For eight years, single mother Grace Archer has been living a picture-perfect life raising her daughter on a horse farm in the small town of Tallanville, Alabama. Watching Frankie grow into a talented and confident young girl has made Grace as happy as any mother could hope to be. Happy enough, even, to forget the past. But the past never quite goes away. Which is why a ce ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published December 27th 2005 by RH Audio (first published 2005)

Start your review of On the Run
Milo
Nov 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Is there such a thing as a 1/2 star?

HORRID..........
Written so bad I can't describe it. Read by a woman who tries to do men's voices badly and women's voices with a silly whine. Flirtations [constant] with sex in a ridiculous childish manner. The author must be sexually frustrated, a spinster with cobwebs over the strike zone........
Tam
Jul 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
You know a book is bad when the audio book keeps you awake merely so you can make scathing, sarcastic comments about the story, the writing, and the narration. On the other hand, I didn't drive off of the road in the middle of nowhere Idaho, so I suppose it did its task.
Kersten
Jan 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Only ready about 70 pages. THis is the female "heroine" I dislike. Soooo tough and strong, etc. But is weak in love. Will do anything to save her child. It's so cliche! Can't care at all about the main character.
Cheri
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline!
Jim Shaner
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the action in this novel, right from the start. Despite the excitement, however, some things about the story just didn't thrill me, and left me feeling underwhelmed.

Grace, a former CIA agent in her thirties, and her daughter, Frankie, raise horses on an idyllic ranch in Alabama. Their world is fractured when a former nemesis moves to harm Grace, and an old flame enters the picture in order to save her and Frankie from danger.

During the flight to safety, the author describes the tension
Janet
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why is it that in so many books, they won’t drop the F bomb and they won’t even say shit, but when it comes to Jesus’s name, they treat it as if it were nothing?

I find it demeaning that this woman, who is such an expert warrior, is kept out of the loop so she won’t worry her pretty little head.
Soooo sexist.

I keep forgetting to stay away from Iris Johansen when it isn’t an Eve Duncan mystery. The plot and story line are quite good. Our gal ,Grace, starts out as a wonderfully strong, incredible w
Brenna
3 1/2 stars...Iris Johansen writes thrillers/suspense extremely well. On the Run has a female main character; Grace is the female lead who is former CIA in hiding on a horse farm in Rural America. There is a daughter, a renegade former CIA agent, an under cover agent stationed in the same town watching over Grace, and leaks at CIA and FBI that cause Grace some trouble. Johansen keeps the plot moving quickly. Her characters are developed well, even though Grace's horse whisperer skills seem a lit ...more
Theresa
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cd
This was my first Iris Johansen and I enjoyed it.
Suzanne
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Another great book. A page turner.
Vicki
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it
This is just a romantic novel/drama--good beach read for Hawaii. If you like horses, you will especially like this book. I would read another book by this author, but not too many at a time. I think I am ready for a little more meat.

Here is the official summary:

Brittany
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december-2010
iris johansen books are always hit or miss for me. she was the one who brought me out of YA and into romantic suspense, which i suppose some people would argue i'm too young for, but i've loved the genre ever since i read killer dreams. however, i've come to realize that so far every book i've read of hers has different plots, but in actuality they're all the same concept with the same characterization. i haven't quite delved into her deep enough to make that a fact but for the work of hers that ...more
Michelle
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trick-or-treat, dnf
I was at page 185 when I stopped reading. The first 100 pages or so were interesting. I looked at all the 1 star reviews and wondered what the hell. Were we reading the same book? Am I just more tolerable than most folks? Immediately after the 100 page mark is where this book began to lose it's steam. What annoyed me the most was the repetitive nature of the story. Frankie was a child prodigy...Grace was mad at Jake, but wanted him in the worst way possible..Grace has raised her child all by her ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
After being disappointed by 'Countdown' and 'Killer Dreams', I was ready to give Ms. Johansen ONE MORE try. After all, third time is the charm, right? At least, hopefully.

This story started out decently enough, but it quickly degenerates into another sketchy, lackluster storyline. I found the Pair to be more interesting than any of the human characters within the book (or the other two books I read) The premise was just hard to swallow, especially since the explanations were not well-done.

Third
Linda C
Grace Archer and her daughter, Frankie, have been in hiding on a horse farm in Alabama when they are found by the ruthless killer who has been searching for them for 8 years. Jake Kilmer, Frankie’s father and Grace’s former trainer for the CIA, is determined to protect them. This highly action packed tale of outrunning and out maneuvering the killer is well done, but fails make a believable story. The hero and heroine are too perfect and the killer too all-powerful. The obsession with the untrai ...more
Evalynn
Jun 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've got half way thru this book, but I just can't do it anymore. It hasn't been able to hold my attention for more than a few pages at a time. I will have "read" 20 pages and only absorbed 1 or 2 of them. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. This book is just not for me! Onto the next :)
Nick
Mar 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow. Worst. Dialogue. Ever.

Ms. Johansen has always been hit and miss for me... this was a huge miss. Not even sure why I finished it. But I did. The characters and the lines that were written for them were all so unbelievable. The main character and her pretentious daughter were insufferable
Sus
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Absolutely AWEFUL!! Could not even finish it. The writing was horrible, banal, boring and predictable. I don't know how this book can have 4 stars in this portal? I do not recommend this book.
Jeanie Jones
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I finished it. And it wasn't terrible, but there were quite a few eyeroll/groan moments. Good story, a little hard to follow, but terribly cheesy.
Linda Skelton
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
I was willing to overlook my biggest pet peeve - the author's obvious lack of research on the horse-related aspects of the plot (using incorrect terminology and every cliche in the book when it comes to writing about horses) because the main characters and plot got my attention right away. I gave up about halfway through because the entire book, after the first chapter, is nothing but exposition and back story about the main characters, via dry dialogue. I can't figure out why the author wrote t ...more
Dawn
“The picture was a warning: they’d found her. For eight years Grace Archer hoped this day wouldn’t come—and knew in her heart it would.
She’d taken her daughter, Frankie, to a rural Alabama horse farm that might just as well have been at the end of the earth, but the man out to kill them would gladly follow them that far. And now, it seems, he has.
A woman with a highly classified past, Grace had never run from anything in her life, but as a mother, she’d do anything to keep her daughter safe.
Calis Johnson
You know about 3 years ago I would have eaten a book like this up. A thriller where characters are on the run from certain death SOLD! Shows how much when you get older certain things just turn to a pile of meh.
The title is misleading our protagonists ex CIA agent Grace and her daughter Frankie are in hiding from French terrorist Marvox helping them is Jake Kilmer whom Grace and whom is also Frankie's father (the no shit Sherlock moment of this book). Our characters are only on the run for abou
Sarah Butland
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read, especially for the lover of horses and mystery!
Eight year old Frankie has everything she has ever wanted - an adoring mother, a grandfather like figure spoiling her with horses, an ability in music like no other but that's threatened when she's told to grab an overnight bag and run.
Watching her mother do things from the movies, Frankie is scared but also knows who she can trust - and that circle suddenly expands tremendously as government agencies fight to protect her and her mother.
Shelley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Couldn't decide if I would select a 3 or 4 while thinking this was probably a generous 3.5.

As I've mentioned in reviews of other books by Johansen, I REALLY like the Eve series, but most of those outside that/those series leave me a little flat. That said, this book has horses in it and as important plot points. TAs a lifelong horsewoman I will say that there were a few errors related to the horse portions of the book, and the rest was more toward the romance vs mystery/thriller than I prefer.

Fuzzy_Bones
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a horrible book. I read the synopsis and was very hopeful but the main characters are unimaginative. The excessive use of *Jesus* and *God* was exceptionally annoying. The sweet sound of nail on a chalkboard has a much more appeal than the teenage-like romance story between Grace and Jake. I am disappointed that the author chose not to kill either one of those awful characters.

Ugh! What a waste.
Christopher West
Jan 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
I don’t have the words to describe this book. I picked it up from a thrift store and now I know why it was in there, the book is terrible (and no, I’m not joking). The way she writes dialogue is unlike any author I’ve seen and the way men talk in the novel is unreal and absurd, and to think about it, the women are as well. I would not recommend this book to anyone, I mean, unless you like terrible books.
Myrna
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cnf
This book felt like it hovered on the verge of being good, but never managed to cross the threshold. Every time I thought I could get into it, the writing veered off and became cheesy with strong indicators that this was going to turn into a bad romance novel with some pretty graphic sex scenes, so I quit while I was ahead. I made it to page 123 before calling it a day. Moving on.
Becky Schulman
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grace Archer is on the run with her daughter from a killer who will stop at nothing to get Grace to do what he needs even if that means killing her daughter. The agency she was once an agent for, leaves her to fend for herself. Grace has to turn to someone she once had a relationship with who she thought had betrayed her.
Peg
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can see why several readers gave this book only one star. The first half was a romance novel masquerading as a spy thriller. The sexual tension was totally annoying. The last few chapter finally got down to the nitty gritty but was basically predictable. Disappointing. Maybe her later books get better.
Ron Holmes
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first book I have read by Iris Johansen. It was pretty good, fast paced, interesting twists, but a little too predictable. There were several sex scenes that could have bit a more descriptive. I will wait a while before reading another Johansen book as there were a couple unresolved issues.
Mike
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not the worst book I ever read but it is more of a romance than a thriller. The protagonist spends most of the book worrying about relationships and the story is light on events. The author relies heavily on cliches and tropes that make the story really predictable. But since I got it for free I'm not out anything.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
USA Geography Cha...: On the Run by Iris Johansen 1 4 Dec 29, 2014 10:13PM

• Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • Shiver (New Orleans, #3)
  • Bait
  • Obsession
  • To Trust a Stranger
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • Prior Bad Acts (Kovac and Liska, #3)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Double Take (FBI Thriller, #11)
  • Point Blank (FBI Thriller, #10)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Ricochet
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9; Fear #3)
  • The Rana Look
  • Running Wild
  • Malice (New Orleans, #6)
  • Envious (Forever Family #1-3)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more