Start by marking “Mr. Right Now” as Want to Read:
Mr. Right Now

Mr. Right Now

He’s Mr. Right Now, but for how long?

When Russ suffers a Thanksgiving disaster, his gorgeous neighbor Esteban is there to save the day. And after an innocent mix-up leads to the former Hollywood hottie playing the role of Russ’s date, Russ thinks scoring Esteban as his fake boyfriend is a huge win. The newly discharged marine is healing inside and out and could use some
ebook
Published November 14th 2019 by Annabeth Albert

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Right Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Right Now

Start your review of Mr. Right Now
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Russ is my new book boyfriend. He's mine, people, you hear?

I liked Esteban too, but Russ is considerate, kind, empathetic, and determined to make his fake boyfriend see that their pretend relationship is one hundred percent real.

Esteban thinks Russ is on the rebound, but really that's just a lie he tells himself because he's scared. He's been left, so he'd rather not try.

But it's impossible not to fall for Russ, who makes Esteban feel like a superhero.

Esteban rescues Russ on
.Lili.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mr. Right Now by Annabeth Albert is precisely why I love holiday romances. I love that warm, happy feeling they gave. They make me feel as if I'm sitting in front of the fireplace with my hot cup of cocoa on a winter day. I found this novella utterly endearing.

While I was excited when this story was first announced when I read it was a fake boyfriend storyline-

I'll admit I was disappointed. I still wanted to read it because Annabeth has written one of my favorite holiday romances. In the end,
Renée
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute holiday story!
Cadiva
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it when Annabeth writes a Christmas story, they're always filled with such warmth.

This is a delightful fake boyfriends series set in Oregon, home of her Portland Heat series, although it's not connected.

I loved both characters here, Russ who was still struggling after being forced out of the Marines post injury, and Esteban, bruised after being dumped by a guy who went back to his ex.

Their feelings and fears were perfectly pitched as both fought to stop falling in love.

I also adored
Adam
3.5 stars!

Sweet and chock-full of holiday feels!

Neighbours Russ and Esteban unwittingly go from practically strangers to boyfriends in a matter of hours. It’s not planned at all, but they go along with the mistaken identities to humour their families over the holiday season.

But with each fake date and time spent together at home (just as friends!), neither man can deny that their pretend romance is starting to feel very real.

The initial set-up had me grinning like a fool. Esteban was just
Lisazj1
4.5 stars, and completely sweet and adorable! <3 Exactly what I needed to read right now. Annabeth Albert never lets me down. Thanks again to Santa's jilted lover for making my day brighter. xx

****

All I can say is Santa, you're really missing out because Santa's jilted lover is the best! Thank you for the wonderful gift, I'm so excited to read it. :)
Ariana
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and spreading lovely feels all the way, this was a pleasant Christmas read.
I really liked shy, not long out Russ and commitment-hesitant Esteban.

These are two mature guys in the procedure of building a second career who get to know each other, become friends, and then more. Their story is heart warming, touching and totally relatable.
And the smexy scenes are really hot!

Fab little read!
Bibliophile
Cute holiday story. Light on steam but heavy on heart. :)
Vallie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spicy-hot, mm, short, christmas
I was expecting a sweet Christmas story that I’d probably forget about in a few days. What I got was one of the smoothest, most organic transitions of friendship to love I’ve ever read. The characters didn’t overthink what was happening. Despite the fake boyfriend trope, they embraced their friendship as the foundation and essentially began dating without realising it. I absolutely loved it! So sweet and sexy.

Recommend.
Jessica Alcazar
*happy sigh* I love Annabeth!! This novella/short story was perfect! Sweet and endearing and sexy in all the right places! Such a great story with little to no angst! What more can you ask for?! LOL I think what I loved about the story itself is its believability or better put, the connection I felt to the relationship. I’m not a big fan of short stories that just BAM you with the HEA from one chapter to the other and this story did not do that at all. I connected and believed in Russ and ...more
Caz
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

Mr. Right Now is a sweet, sexy novella featuring neighbours – a former marine and actor-turned-event planner – that takes place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’m not the biggest fan of novellas as I often find them rushed and lacking in characterisation and relationship development, but fortunately, that isn’t the case here, and Annabeth Albert has penned a charming and convincing romance that will certainly warm anyone’s cockles!

Russ has been thrown in at the
Catherine
Everyone here should know by now that the fake boyfriend trope is a favourite of mine - and this story certainly didn't disappoint!

PS: Dani can keep Russ as her book boyfriend; I've rather have Esteban. ;)
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I’m a sucker for a good holiday romance and author Annabeth Albert wrapped one up in a lovely bow with Mr. Right Now. Filled with family, heart, holiday spirit, and love I found it impossible to put it down.

When Russ’s boyfriend leaves him right before he is set to host Thanksgiving for his sister’s family and his boss he is feeling helpless and panicked, but when his handsome neighbor Esteban offers his culinary skills to make the holiday happen, Russ agrees. When assumptions are made they find
Leslie
Sugar and spice and everything nice!

My Christmas reading continues! I mean, it kind of started in July then ramped up in September, then dropped off until this last week or so when I couldn't ignore it anymore. I anticipate reading a ton of Christmas romance the rest of the year. I even have a special Christmas shelf labeled, "All I Want For Christmas Is You." It's my favorite Christmas song. Don't judge me!

Annabeth Albert has become a must read author for me. And after recently reading,
Athira
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
It's that time of the year when I get addicted to holiday romances and this book with fake relationship that turns real, an ex military adorable man and Thanksgiving goodness is just perfect!

This is a fluffy romance with basically no angst. Annabeth Albert is one of my favourite authors and this novella will definitely put you in the holiday spirit! It gave all the warm feelings!! Loved Esteban and Russ, their cooking lessons and shopping trips. This book will definitely make you smile
Sunne
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, it wasn't the best book ever and probably more 4 than 5 stars....but it just made me so happy while reading and that adds the fifth star. The story is actually quite simple - a spur of the moment decision to not correct Russ' family when they assume Esteban is his boyfriend...and suddenly there is always a reason to keep up with the charade...all the while getting to know each other better and better and falling in love. They are adorable and the story is just the right amount of ...more
Leelah&#x1f341;♋️ Orion
All the right trimmings. This had everything I love in a fake boyfriend/Christmas story. A solider and an ex semi Hollywood Star. These two men were amazing together. I loved that they communicated both with words and eyes, and I love how sweet they were with each other. Sigh. Hallmark movies can’t even compete with a holiday story like this.
Tessi4M
I guess I finally understand what people mean when they say they didn't connect with the characters of a book. Apparently I am in the minority here, but this one didn't do anything for me. There was nothing wrong with Esteban and Russ, nothing not to like. But they also haven't left much of an impression on me. So, well, on to the next.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thanks for the gift, Santa's little hippopotamus!!
Lori
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet, short friends to lovers story.
HEChapter -Tina J
length: 127 pages
Contemporary Gay Romance / Holiday Novella / Fake Boyfriend / Slow Burn

POV ~> Third person

I opted to read/review this story without seeing the cover first, which is a good thing because the model on the cover just looks so grim and uninviting. The synopsis sounded like a bit of fun and I've enjoyed many titles from this author in the past.

A medically discharged Marine still finding his civilian footing & a retired Hollywood actor with a love of family and food find
Joyfully Jay
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Mr. Right Now is a warm, sweet story with a fake boyfriend theme and a great holiday vibe. Russ and Esteban are two super nice men who are both caring, kind, and a little lonely. They are both that perfect combination of gorgeous and sweet, and I don’t think you can help but like them. The story is full of cozy moments where the men cook together, have nice nights chatting by the fire, and enjoy the holidays, both separately and together. There is some nice food
Kirstin
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet holiday novella, typical of Annabeth Albert.

I'm not a huge fan of the fake boyfriend trope, but this had such little angst that it worked for me.

Russ and Esteban are neighbors in the same complex, but haven't ever really gotten to know each other more than just Esteban's cat running into Russ' place. When Russ heads out to the garbage with a burnt pan and a grim expression, Esteban commits himself to saving the meal.

The pair works well together, and before they know it,
Xan West
Content Warnings (view spoiler)

This didn't work for me on a number of levels, despite the domestic cozy aspects. It felt like Esteban was very thinly drawn and felt like a racialized stereotype to me as a white reader. Russ was pretty thinly drawn as well, and I didn't get the sense that things really mattered to him, or if
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

I really enjoyed this. It's just a nice fluffy holiday read. You know what you'll get but you smile the whole way getting there. Russ and Esteban are adorable together and I loved that they became friends first. It's a bit of a slow burn by the way. They take their time getting to know each other and laying a foundation. I loved that. Their families were great, around just enough to keep it interesting but without being too involved. Exactly my
Kendra T
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, own-review
This was an absolutely adorable story of neighbors who become fake boyfriends and then good friends who fall for each other. Their friendship was so natural and they really were perfect together. This was a nice feel good holiday book.

I am voluntarily reviewing an ARC provided by LesCourt Author Services
Kelly
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Arc provided courtesy of LesCourt
All reviews are voluntary and my honest opinion.

Russ is a sweet military guy who's just been dumped by his boyfriend, right before Thanksgiving. Esteban is a cute actor who lives in the same apartment complex. One burnt pan later the two men find themselves playing fake boyfriends so that Russ' family won't be disappointed.

A sweet holiday romance. Low drama and angst. A "breakup cat." Very much like Annabeth Albert's Portland novellas. A cozy winter fireplace
Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story. Loved Russ and Esteban seperately and together. The relationship develops easily and it's clear from the get go these two get each other and belong together.
Great friends to lovers story.
namericanwordcat
Another charming romance by Annabeth Albert. Russ and Esteban have a bit of slow burn pretend relationship with great family and cats.

We getting yummy food and sweet heros. Good stuff!
Sue bowdley
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm about half way through with this and i'm shelving it for a while..I just don't think i'm in the right mood for this..It's a sweet read so far and maybe it's just too sweet at the minute..I'm not really feeling any heat from these two guys for now so i'll come back to it x
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Christmas Deal
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Defrosting Jack (Ice and Snow Christmas, #4)
  • Final Play (Fake Boyfriend #6)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Spreadsheets (Ace's Wild #8)
  • Unscripted
  • Twice Shy (New Milton #3)
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Wishing on a Dream
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.
“Esteban thinking of him was nice. He hadn’t had a friend take care of him like this before, and it felt good, the psychic equivalent of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls.” 0 likes
“I don’t mean never. I mean maybe perfect doesn’t exist. There’s always distractions and complications and obstacles. If not the whole rebound thing, it would be something else. Some other excuse for me to cling to instead of taking a chance with you.” 0 likes