Start by marking “The Vagabond King” as Want to Read:
The Vagabond King

The Vagabond King

In a land where immortality can be bought, cruelty thrives...

Exiled and alone, Threon is torn from a life in the palace to scrape a living on the streets of a foreign land. Once a prince whose every whim was obliged, now this vagabond must adapt to survive.

Throwing his lot in with a witch, a rebel soldier and a woman touched by a god, he seeks retribution for the wrongs

Published October 1st 2019 by Parthian Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vagabond King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vagabond King

Start your review of The Vagabond King
The Nerd Daily
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Sarah C

Kate Avery
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really was the perfect book to break out of a reading rut with, it was intense but in the best way. There is a lot that I want to say but I also know that I don’t have the turn of phrase to do it justice.

I always have to marvel at fantasy writers because it is such an undertaking to create a whole world and make it believable. Jodie Bond has certainly excelled here, although I am always glad of a map to get my bearings, you could really get a feel for the different nations and I could
Yvonne
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When soldiers raid the city and kill the King and Queen, their son Prince Threon finds an unlikely ally who rescues him. Threon then spends the next few years in exile, living as a beggar and a wanderer and being given the title of The Vagabond King. Unlikely allies are going to be important to Threon as he gradually makes his way back to his old home. The road is fraught with danger as it is not only people but also gods who have a hand in what happens on the earth.

This is a fabulous fantasy
Kayleigh (Hedwigsbooks)
Thank you once again Anne and Parthian books for sneding me a copy of this book for review and for having me on the blog tour!

It’s been a while since I took a trip off the beaten path of fantasy reading and picked up something totally unknown to me. Sometimes I like to read a fantasy book or series I otherwise might not have heard of and this is definitely in that vein. to see if you are okay. If you could take Tortall but make it grimdark, you would get The Vagabond King. I truly enjoyed the
Andy Angel
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a nice surprise. So many times in fantasy fiction the hero is a turnip farmer or somesuch who turns out to be the prophesied king. In this, Book 1 of Jodie Bond's trilogy we have a Prince who's land is attacked and on escaping his life takes a definite downward turn.

As the titular Vagabond King though and with the help of a witch, a rebel soldier and a woman touched/cursed by a God he plans to return and take what is his. And that, my friends, is just the bare bones of this
Sara
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exiled prince, a witch, a rebel soldier and a woman touched by a god, united to fight against an immortal army.. um yes sign me up because I am here for that!

The Vagabond King is a tale of sorrow, hope, redemption and a little bit of love but mostly it aims to take your heart in its hand and squeeze until there is nothing left but emptiness, suspicion and then curiosity. Vengeful Gods tend to have that effect on people.

There’s a war going on so obviously it’s violent in places but the story
Indra
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Vagabond King is a brilliant piece of fantasy writing. The characters all stand out on their own, with different personalities and reasons to be in the fight. Every character is explored well, either in their own storyline or all together. This switching of focus never gets confusing however, each change flows organically and builds the story in well executed layers.

I love a good book to fall into and The Vagabond King is certainly a book that envelops you. I can always tell how good a book
Lel Budge
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-cater
This is part 1 in The Vagabond King trilogy.

The tale starts with a battle, Lleu and the Palimore soldiers kill many to take over a city, but Lleu lets one person go to safety, Threon, but why?

The story moves on a few years and now Threon is looking for revenge on those who slaughtered his family.

This really is an action packed fantasy tale, with amazing world building, properly rounded and developed characters and exciting tension building gradually throughout.

With Kings and Queens, magic,
Kerry-louise Jones
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle

From the outset the book read like an episode of game of thrones and had me hooked. It throws you in at the deep end and keeps moving at a fast pace whilst still being able to build suspense which I really enjoyed.

There were king/queen, battle, magic, immortality elements and the the characters also had direct interactions with the gods which added a mythological element. I also enjoyed that the main characters wasn't someone who had always had to fight, he started life as a spoilt prince...

I
Sarah (gingerb0oks)
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
My review was originally published on The Nerd Daily

The Vagabond King is an action packed fantasy novel that kicks off a new trilogy from debut UK author Jodie Bond. The story starts with Lleu, who is part of a group of soldiers called the Palimore and they are just about to launch a surprise invasion on a neighbouring island. As they take the city, Lleu recuses the Prince Threon and sends him to safety—for reasons as yet unknown to Threon and the reader. Five years later, Threon returns to
Molly Holborn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had me on a rollercoaster of emotion, and I was left craving more of this world.

The characters were all so beautifully unique and easy to connect with, even the gods had relatable qualities to them. It varied in pace too, with action-packed pacy battle scenes and intense moments packed with suspense and World building.

Would definitely recommend to fantasy lovers and those you want to start reading more fantasy.
Josh Ford
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes Tolkien look like Dan Brown. Makes Dan Brown look like a packet of cheap chips.
Nate

• Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Gone
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • The Guesthouse
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • A Bridge Too Few (Sprite Brigade Book 2)
  • The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Provoke You: A Cole Brothers Novel, Book 2 (Cole Brothers Series)
  • Cunk on Everything: The Encyclopedia Philomena
Jodie Bond is a writer, dancer and communications professional. She has worked for a circus, a gin distillery, as a burlesque artist and has sold speciality sausages for a living, but her biggest passion has always been writing.

The Vagabond King is her first novel.