Start by marking “The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle” as Want to Read:
The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle

The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle (Middle-Earth Universe)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Poems & songs of Middle Earth...for the millions who have read and loved The Lord of the Rings. Music by Donald Swann. Poetry by J. R. R. Tolkein. Complete with easy-to-play chords for guitar and piano!
2nd rev. ed., 75 pages
Published 1978 by Allen & Unwin (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Goes Ever On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Goes Ever On

Candy
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The melodies are not amazing, but my copy is a beautiful early edition from England: found in a used book store, it's like an artifact. For this small book, Professor Tolkien wrote new Middle Earth material that expanded on a song Galadrial sang. This expanded material, the composer's conversations with Tolkien in the forward, and Tolkien's visually stylized presentation of Elvish-to-English translations make this one of the most special books I own.
David Jones
I'm a musician, so I was interested in what some of the many songs Tolkien has in the Trilogy might be like as real songs.

Unfortunately, the composer was one of those modern types who wrote very modern (as in unusual harmonies and intervals, etc) melodies that wouldn't have been sung by anyone in Middle Earth ...
Linda Hoover
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collaboration between J.R.R. Tolkien and Donald Swann produced this fascinating book! This is some of Tolkien's poetry and songs set to music!! A must-have for Tolkien fans!
Pilar Erika
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, poetry, music
A beautiful edition! I really like the music composed by Donald Swann and the poems and illustrations by Tolkien.
Mayda
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, fantasy
I think you would have to be a fan of Tolkien’s to really enjoy these songs. The words may make more sense if you know the context of the story of which they are a part. The music is unusual. It is not strictly piano/vocal, since the piano often does not play the melody. In parts, it is repetitive, and sometimes I felt like the song – not the road – went ever on. These are not melodies you would go away humming, but I don’t think that was the aim of the composer. Not having read the books, my as ...more
Carla Eskelsen
I have the original book, as well as the vinyl record. I must admit, I got 5 stars' worth of enjoyment out of them, mostly because of the collaboration and approval of the author, for whom I have profound respect and admiration.

That said, however, the tunes lacked the kind of authentic "aged and folky" feel that you would expect from the cultures Prof Tolkien created; they have a more formal and 19th century parlor feel, and are not particularly singable or hummable.

I really much preferred the
Aaron White
Not being much of a musician, I also listened to a youtube recording of this music. The music didn't feel very middle earth. Most of the songs seemed very hymn like, or modern. I thought it somewhat fit some of the songs, but for the most part, I couldn't picture the elves or hobbits singing in this fashion. The poems were the more interesting part.
Pratiti
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the songs in this book--my voice teacher and I have been having so much fun with it.
Fatma
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-uk, jrr-tolkien
3 stars because i only read the translation parts... haven't tried playing it on the piano, since i don't play any musical instruments.
Sofia
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien, own-it
Tolkien approved adaptation to songs of poems from LOTR. Outdated (especially after Howard Shore's masterful scores) but still... Tolkien approved.
Alexa
The Road Goes Ever On by J.R.R. Tolkien (2002)
Charchigne
Apr 18, 2014
Byron Young
Feb 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The History of Middle Earth Index (The History of Middle-Earth, #13)
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Children of Húrin
  • Beren and Lúthien
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)