Start by marking “Tejer el alba (La sangre de las estrellas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tejer el alba (La sangre de las estrellas, #1)

Tejer el alba

(The Blood of Stars #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  7,565 ratings  ·  2,027 reviews
UNA COSTURERA ENCUBIERTA. TRES VESTIDOS LEGENDARIOS. UNA COMPETICIÓN ÚNICA.
En los márgenes de la Gran Ruta de las Especias, Maia Tamarin trabaja en el taller de su padre, donde sueña con llegar a ser la mejor costurera de su tierra. Sin embargo, siendo una chica, a lo máximo que puede aspirar es a un buen matrimonio. Cuando la presencia de su padre enfermo es reclamada en
464 pages
Published November 7th 2019 by RBA Molino (first published July 9th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Tejer el alba, please sign up.
Kristia Seabolt There's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too…moreThere's subtle cursing in this book, like words of "damn" and "piss" (if you consider piss a curse word, in which I really don't). Nothing too outlandish. There are curse word alternatives used, like "Demon's Teeth" used. None of this has strained my enjoyment of this book, in which I will/have given a five star rating.

I get you. Sometimes it bothers me if there's an over usage of cursing. More so in the past than in the present. I still steer away from some subject matters and content. It's how I even reflect upon movies, if there's the constant F bomb thrown around (I don't mind some well placed ones for dramatic effect), I'll turn the movie off.

When there's constant explicit cursing, It makes me wonder how limited a person's vocabulary is. It's not about censoring oneself from it, it's how a book reflects on you while reading, and if it's an enjoyable experience for you. If there's a lot of cursing, that's not your cup of tea. Oh well, everyone has their preferences. And sometimes, on down the road, your views on such things may adapt (like mine).

<spoiler>Now for steamy content, it's close to none, and what is present is done tastefully. This book is well suited for a younger audience, or a family wholesome reader. </spoiler> (less)

·  7,565 ratings  ·  2,027 reviews

Start your review of Tejer el alba (La sangre de las estrellas, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with For Love Of. A Book Group, earned this badge

July Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below the pic to see all of the goodies!

GOODIES LINK

I loved this so much, it went to my favorites list!

Animation: Arthur Redhawk

Let me tell you
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Project Runway meets Mulan sounds interesting but I need this book for reasons that have everything to do with the cultivated vanity that’s reserving my space in hell.....I mean just look at THAT COVER.
jessica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow wow wow. i am truly blown away by how amazing this story is. the book blurb does this a slight disservice by pitching it as a cross between mulan and project runway. not because it doesnt have those elements, but because this is SO much more than that.

the story is captivating with enthralling writing and charming characters. oh my gosh. edan is one of the wittiest characters i have read in a while. his banter with maia is such a delight to read. from start to finish, i was entertained with
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eastern mythology dances with rich fairy tale elements, an amazing journey to the sun, moon and stars, lots of amazing dresses created by a gifted artistic tailor and her magical scissor and please don’t forget the heart-throbbing forbidden love story!

How could I not fall in love with this book? And the best thing is I got the sequel (after my regular weekly four rejections from NetGalley, I think I still have some lucky stars shining over me!)

So of course you can imagine I’m making my happy
Lily ☁️
I am actually speechless, this book is marvelous, and you need it in your life. 🌙✨

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
FL
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word: WOW.

This book is pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway but it was really so much more than that. I loved it!
C.G. Drews
This was the magical adventure of my dreams and I am a little starstruck right now. I meeeean, wow. It mixed this whimsical fairy-tale quality in with one of my favourite ships of 2019, not to mention the ending has left me gasping like a dried out minnow on the floor. I JUST. I thought it was a standalone and now I need more and I do not have more help meeeeee.

[pulls self together]
[barely]

// can we talk about the magic first
because it was astoundingly and gorgeously done!! Maia is d/>//
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Wow what a ride!

This book was really fun, and there's so much I loved about it.

First of all, I have to rave about the world building. I loved everything about it - deeply woven culture meets beautifully artistic magic. Really cool folklore and mythology. I'm DYING to see some fan art! Honestly, this alone made the book worthy of five stars. I never wanted to leave the world. And the story - pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway - totally fits. The first bit gave me definite Mulan vibes! But th
Mary S. R.
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a slow, mythical, romantic, young adult tale full of sparkles
Recommended to Mary by: ✨ A ✨
3.75 STARS! Fun, sweet, bursting at the seems with unique myths and magic, a world unprecedented, splattered with a delicious dosage of knitting and prettily sparkling dresses (oh my), a little too cloyingly romantic, and not good with its fight scenes (oh no).

“People will see what they want to see.”

Spin the Dawn, in one sentence: A tailor Mulan through a royal competition alongside treacherous masters, a journey through magical, perilous lands for an impossible task, and a love story that fills up your heart!</>
✨ A ✨
Project Runway meets Mulan was accurate indeed.

Maia Tamarin has a dream of becoming the Imperial Tailor of A’landi. Growing up in a family of tailors she definitely has the skill but as a girl it would be improper and all she can do is to make sure she marries well.

Maia has endured much tragedy due to the war. Her father is broken and their family shop is failing, with little options left Maia is almost put in the position of having to take up the proposal from the bakers gross son when a royal messenger
Clemlucian (&#x1f3f3;️‍&#x1f308;the villain's quest)
2 Angry cunt stars. (Yes, cunt Clem is back and I'm about to burn the house down.)

Instagram | youtube

description

and non-gender conforming folks, welcome to another episode of "How the hell did this get published?", staring Spin the Dawn and yours truly. Please take a seat, grab yourself a drink, and hold on tight to your grandma’s underwear....because shit is about to get serious.

SYNOPSIS: Some random girl from the north of somewhere (I canserious.
Melanie

This is honestly the best cover I've ever encountered and holy shit the blessings.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Angelica
Well, I read it, I guess?

This book was advertised as Mulan meets Project Runway, two things I love.

So, I was pretty sad, and yet not all the surprised when this ended in disappointment.

Aside from the fact that the main character pretends to be a man, there isn’t much about this story that resembles that of Mulan. And only the first third of the book actually resembles Project Runway. So, what is this book about?

Mainly, it’s about a tailor and an enchanter/magician/Jinn? going on a p/>This
may ➹

Hey so uh quick question.....who thought they should leave me on my own to figure out that the ending would end like: that and HURT like: that.

Spin the Dawn follows Maia Tamarin, a female seamstress who is struggling to support herself and her father after her brothers went to war. When her father is invited to the Emperor’s palace to compete for the position of the royal tailor, she takes his place and dresses as a boy.

Maia takes on several other magical tailors, meets the alluringly mysterious enchanter, and
Navessa

I’m not gonna lie, I jammed that “Add to TBR” button the second I saw this cover. And then I read “Project Runway meets Mulan” and I turned into the physical embodiment of the I Have a Mighty Need meme.

So, does this live up to the hype? For me, hell yeah.

This is a sweeping, romantic saga steeped in mystery and lore that went a long way toward rekindling my love for the young adult fantasy genre.

The world building in this Chinese-inspired land was phenomenal. The Project Runway portion of the story is mostly constrained to the grounds of
Hannah Greendale
The first half of Spin the Dawn is Disney's Mulan with war taking place at sewing stations as opposed to a battlefield. Maia Tamarin is in competition with eleven talented tailors for an honored position in the Summer Palace. This portion of the book is intriguing and imaginative with Maia facing increasingly difficult challenges to do with unorthodox materials.

While the midpoint hinges on a thrilling new challenge for Maia, the second half of the book makes a significant departure from its first half.
Lucy Langford
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5****

I knew then that we were like two pieces of cloth, sewn together for life. Our stitches couldn't be undone. I wouldn't let them.

This was just brimming with enchantment and folklore. We are introduced to Maia Tamarin as a seamstress, working in her father's shop. Her father use to be a hardworking and famous tailor but after some family tragedies, he no longer has the passion to continue with it. Maia takes on this burden and has the dream that one day she will become the grandest tai
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Unpopular Opinion Coming-in

A slow, lackluster attempt at a Mulan retelling. I make the comparison only because, if I remember correctly, that's how this was originally pitched.

Here I think we might have another case of it's not you, it's me. Because while the writing itself was not bad, I struggled with this book the entire time. It was just downright boring to me.

I did not care about the characters. I did not care about the journey and the romance did little for me overall. But of the three the romance
arini
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 spin the dawn — 3.75 stars
#2 unravel the dusk (tbr)

i didnt know a tale about knitting and sewing competition could be this fascinating!!

reading this book, i would imagine, feels like spending the day on a date with your beau at a theme park/ carnival. it's fun, exciting, and full of adventure. not to mention, the fact that you're doing it with your beloved makes it all the more special, sickly sweet, and romantic. you're so happy it feels magical, just like this book.

the mulan + project runaway thingy

tbh i've watched neither of those. the only thibook.
the
Em Lost In Books
3.5*

Not without flaws but an entertaining story, and that cover is gorgeous!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Why yes I did just SCREAM OUT LOUD because I got an ARC of this. One of my most anticipated 2019 releases!
Nick
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this cover is everything
Irena
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4,5 stars

First of all, let’s take a moment to admire this gorgeous book cover, because (in my humble opinion) it is one of the most (if not the most) beautiful covers of 2019.
And the best part: it pictures perfect the story that’s in the pages.

Spin the Dawn was one of the best fantasy books I read in general (but keep in mind, I haven’t read many of them).
I love how it was pitched as Mulan meets Project Runaway, because that is a perfect descrip
✩ Ashley ✩
description

I can’t believe it!!! I’ve been approved (for the first time) for a NetGalley request?!!?!?!!!? My heart can’t handle all this excitement! 🥰
♠️ TABI ♠️
'Ask me to spin the finest yarn or thread, and I can do it faster than any man--even with my eyes closed. Yet ask me to tell a lie, and I will stumble and falter to think of one.
I have never had a talent for spinning tales.'

description

First off, the above quote is a bit of a liar because this isn't a badly-woven story! If I hadn't read the blurb, maybe I wouldn't have been as thrown by the first part of the story because I guess I expected the contest to last longer than it actually did?? But this turned out to be equally
Katie.dorny
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, favorites
Honestly how did I get my hands on this book?? I adored this, honestly there was nothing I didn’t love about the book. I need the sequel immediately.

Here we meet Maia, a talented seamstress who takes the opportunity of a lifetime. Disguising herself as a boy, the whole story unfolds like clockwork and just whisks you away to another time and place.

We also meet other characters who were so lifelike and vibrant with their traits and dialogue it was as if I was in the room w
Acqua

If you think that Spin the Dawn's cover is beautiful, I can now tell you that its inside is even better, and that this book is worth reading just for the descriptions and atmosphere, if you care about that sort of thing.
I certainly do.

One of the first things I noticed while reading this book was that I could visualize everything perfectly - from the dresses and the needlework to the landscapes and the magic - so much that I was actually happy when, once the sewing competition ended,/>If
Tucker
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Author: *Writes a Mulan retelling with Disney*
Author years later: *Writes a YA and compares it to Mulan*
Me: hmm, why do i smell a lawsuit

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit |
Sh3lly
Review also found at:

Release Date: July 9th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.

Gorgeous cover alert!

Maia Tamarin just wants to be a tailor, but she lives in a world where females are unequal to males, and the career is unavailable to her. Her family has run a tailor shop for years, but hard times have besieged the family. War, d
Candace Robinson
The cover to this has to be one of my top 5 so far this year! It’s seriously gorgeous! So I did like this one but I wasn’t in love with it as much as I wanted to be. I think I wanted more from the characters? I’m not really even a hundred percent on that! What I seriously loved was the Project Runway and Mulan vibes! Give me a needle and thread right now!

• House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Descendant of the Crane
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
Elizabeth Lim grew up on a hearty staple of fairy tales, myths, and songs. Her passion for storytelling began around age 10, when she started writing fanfics for Sailor Moon, Sweet Valley, and Star Wars, and posted them online to discover, "Wow, people actually read my stuff. And that's kinda cool!" But after one of her teachers told her she had "too much voice" in her essays, Elizabeth took a bre ...more

The Blood of Stars (2 books)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
“Seize the wind," I whispered. "Don't become the kite that never flies.” 24 likes
“I want you to know that some journeys have ends, but not this one. This one will change you. Irrevocably." "Don't all journeys change you?" "It isn't the same." He leaned forward. "I, too, once journeyed beyond the stars." "What did you find?" His voice turned lethally soft. "That it's just the beginning.” 6 likes