Start by marking “The Unexpurgated Code A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Unexpurgated Code ...

J.P. Donleavy

The Unexpurgated Code A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Humor, Literary Studies, Social Studies
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1975 by Ultramarine Pub Co (first published 1975)

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpurgated Code A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners

Manny
At the GoodReads Site

Reviewing sites like GoodReads give the gentleman or lady of leisure a splendid opportunity to display their wit and all-round erudition. Post reviews in moderation, choosing a balanced selection of books. Ideally, a scholarly dissection of an obscure but greatly respected classic should be followed by an earthily Anglo-Saxon parody of a notorious piece of trash, and vice versa.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy
Anna
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profane and very funny, an example....

Under Vilenesses Various he covers such things as farting and bodily stench.

Plate and Knife Licking

This is a satisfying ritual and is not only to be resorted to when one is not able to get a further helping. Although widely ridiculed as bad manners, it is permissible if delicately executed and demonstrates more than anything else your enjoyed appetite as well as your thrift.

While holding the plate surface vertically in both hands well up to the face, licking
Leslie Ann
Oct 18, 2007 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Awesome people
I haven't read but an excerpt of this book but DonLeavey is fucking hilarious and brilliant. One of those authors your friend recommends and you're like, OK whatevs. And within a page you're all, "Oh my God! This is it! I forget there was writing left in the world that can punch you in the face, like--POW! This is style, you waspy cowboy!" . An elegant man in tweed with a pipe and cane is not to be ignored.

Fairy Tale of New York
The Gingerman
De Alphonse Tennis

Read them, and read this. Than loan
Chris
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, to-re-read
It's a shame that this one is so hard to find, as it's one of the absolute classics of curmudgeonly advice, absolutely on par with Ambrose Bierce's 'The Devil's Dictionary.' Best not to read it all in one sitting, though -- it can be draining! Hilarious, but draining.
Phillip
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who love brits
I re-read this book every year or so. I fall out of my chair laughing every time. I love British humor (even though this is an American writing, technically). The Pukka language is how they ruled the world with a few swords and an attitude. The book is a description of how 'gentlemen' handle all varities of situations. "Upon finding ones pants...."
I love this book.
Ian
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The compleat handbook for the modern cad. Oscar Wilde once defined a gentleman as someone who never unintentionally offends anyone. If that's the case, this book provides the means by which one may intentionally offend anyone one likes whilst still maintaining one's gentlemanly status.
Mark O'Leary
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit
I wanted to like this book, but I find it mostly stupid, with lots of laziness thrown in. (What kind of professional writer allows his punctuation errors to make it into the final draft?)
Chris
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not his best. Unfortunately, the jokes very quickly wear thin but there are nevertheless a few Donleavian gems.
Clive Warner
Not a casual read, more of a reference book for social climbers and those that would defeat social climbers. I nearly had cause to refer to it recently after a small mongrel tried to take on my St Bernard... Dunleavey has included in the book, somewhere, instructions on how to behave if your dog has killed someone else's dog (and vice versa)
Scott
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An irreverent satirical guide to English high society. I really enjoyed the focus on posh accents and how it would have two different ways to approach each situation depending on which accent you wished to use. It did make me wish I was part of their livelyhood though, at least made me want to give it a sporting try, as those fine chaps might say!
George
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Donleavy was doing gold-plated snark decades before we all had a word for it. He lives in a castle in Ireland and peers down with a disgusted look at the rest of us.
A thoroughly gutter-snipe, trashy Swift - I love his stuff!
DoctorM
Here's the way it is. You need this advice. Thirty-odd years on, this book still tells you how you'll need to behave to be Correct in situations that you'll no doubt find yourself in. Just trust JP and keep up Standards.
Claire S
My brother and I were both too young for this when it was gifted to one of us (and shared) by Our Dad. (Clearly another notch in my 'it's not my fault' belt). We gaped and pointed and snickered and eventually it went away. Clearly HE thought it was funny, so there's that.
Katherine
Hilarious jabs at the upper crust
Phil
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius advice book on social climbing and behavior that makes Parkinson's Law look reasonable.
Winston Tuttle
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Timeless humour in the clever, but dirty way that only Donleavy can get away with. Cherish this book.
Alison
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very funny.
Matthew
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
simply incredible.
Craig
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just dipped into this, but so far its a ROTHFLMAOUMIWCCTTMA funny.
Richard Thomas
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour-and-wit
What other book would a prospective gentleman need?
Mike
  • The Origins of Greek Thought
  • Uncle John's Funniest Ever Bathroom Reader
  • The Dreamfighter And Other Creation Tales
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
  • The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1982–1983
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Mr. Mike: The Life and Work of Michael O'Donoghue
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
James Patrick Donleavy was an Irish American author, born to Irish immigrants. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II after which he moved to Ireland. In 1946 he began studies at Trinity College, Dublin, but left before taking a degree. He was first published in the Dublin literary periodical, Envoy.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.P._Don...

• Revolution 2020
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mercy Falls Collection: The Lightkeeper's Daughter / The Lightkeeper's Bride / The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls #1-3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Secret
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dead Don't Dance
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
  • The Love Season
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone