Start by marking “The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross” as Want to Read:
The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross

The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Jon Meacham explores the seven last sayings of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels, combining rich historical and theological insights to reflect on the true heart of the Christian story.

Published February 18th 2020 by Convergent Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hope of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope of Glory

Start your review of The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross
Rachel
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The hope of glory by Jon Meacham is a very deep book that looks at the seven last sayings of Jesus. I found the book to be very solid. It has helped me to grow in my faith and understanding as I study the person and work of Jesus.

The books description says:
For Jon Meacham, as for believers worldwide, the events of Good Friday and Easter reveal essential truths about Christianity. A former vestryman of Trinity Church Wall Street and St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, Meacham delves into that
Darlene
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley-review
I received this book from Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Unfortunately, I can not recommend this book to Christian believers. In the prologue, the author declares his statement of faith. He does not hold to the principle tenet of Christian belief in the infallibility of the Word of God. He states very clearly that there are many ways to salvation and Bible clearly states " there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by
Kevin Loveland
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have a great respect for anyone willing to put themselves out on a ledge and be vulnerable by sharing the nuances of their beliefs that open themselves to criticism the way this book does. It will be polarizing for many.

Evangelical Christians might take issue with, what they might see as his lukewarm defense of the divine nature of scripture among other issues.

Non believers (of which I am one) might take issue with his acknowledgment of the many issues they have with religion and God but
Pearl
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Jon Meacham, a Pulitzer Prize winning author, writes biographies, histories, magazine articles and is a frequent television commentator called upon for his opinion on some aspect of American political, social, or cultural life. I have not read all of his books, but I think this is the fourth one I have read. I became a fan when I read his "Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship." It is a wonderful book.

This one not so much. Its not a bad book; just kind of a middling
Margy Eastmond
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
John Katsanakis
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jon Meacham approaches Scripture from such an interesting place he begins by placing it in a historical context: who wrote it, when, and why? The most interesting use of this is Meachams approach to the Gospel of Luke.

Then he starts dissecting it from a literary perspective: what language was it originally written in, and how have translations altered it? What was the original intended meaning? How does the earliest Greek translation of a verse ascribe new meaning to the text?

Finally, Meacham
Dennis Hogan
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just finished The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross by Jon Meachem, the noted Historian and Presidential Biographer. This is a short audiobook packed with religious insights. Its a timely work with the approach of Lent and Easter. A powerful work by a masterful writer. ...more
Jill
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After checking this book out of the library, I bought a copy to rearead. Jon Meacham puts forth his very deeply personal statement of faith in the prologue.
Richard de Villiers
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a Jon Meacham fan so seeing him stretch out of his comfort zone intrigued me, I was not disappointed. It should be noted that I am Catholic and while Meacham is Episcopalian, we speak the same language so to speak. That is to say that this book really only works for you if you are a person of faith but even then you have to have a certain perspective. Fundamentalists and Evangelicals will have their qualms with Meacham. He readily admits that there are inconsistencies in the Bible and notes ...more
Dax
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not as scholarly as I was hoping, but I found this slim book helpful nonetheless. Meacham comes across as very endearing; he is not afraid to admit to the mystery of Faith, and he supports a critical study of the scriptures. I appreciate his dismissal of literalism; "light can either emanate from, not enter into, a closed mind." Evangelicals will not like this book.

As in all things, extremism ends more conversations than it begins, and I found it refreshing to read the thoughts of a reasonable,
Chris Brune
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
First off, I didnt actually read the book..I listened to it as an audio book.
Its a short book, and Meacham is biographer / historian, not a theologian. So while noting that the Crucifixion was an event that forever transformed the world, the book weighs heavier on its historical impact than on its theological significance. It did force me to consider the differences of how the people who witnessed that Good Friday first-hand were affected, versus how the early Christians who heard the Gospel a
Lucinda Vinoski
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
From the beginning of time, man has grappled and questioned God. Man with his finite intelligence has tried to reason and rationalize his Creator who has infinite wisdom, and it can not be done. The devil's lie in the Garden was that if they ate of the fruit of knowledge they would be like gods. Like but not the same.

In this time of the coronavirus we are confronted with our own mortality and it is not the time to ask what and how but to simply believe. This is called faith. We do not need
MGMaudlin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Jon Meacham has carved out an interesting niche as one of our leading public intellectuals. His combination of journalist and historian along with his deep study of the American character and his religious fluency has made him one of the people I look to for measured, deep, and wise counsel during many of our moments of cultural crisis. This book, however, is not such an instance. These meditations on the last seven sayings of Jesus from the cross are solid examples of mainline Protestant ...more
Murray
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Mr. Meacham a historian by trade reflects on the last 7 phrases uttered by Jesus Christ on Good Friday and how as modern day Christians should digest them. He makes no apologies by stating that the Bible should not be taken literally and needs to studied, discussed and meditated on and too under stand the historical context in which the Gospel writers wanted the early Christians to understand Jesus. Ultimately his take home message is that Christ death and resurrection gives hope to those who ...more
Mary
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
To quote the author - it (the book) is about illumination not conversion. It started as a series of sermons in an Episcopal church so it is directed at an audience who is familiar with the broad concepts of Christianity and values the traditional liturgies and the sacraments.

It is different than Meachams previous books - much shorter and more personal but as erudite and eloquent as ever.

As an Episcopalian who regularly finds herself in the pews was found much of the book resonated with me and
Chad Manske
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pulitzer Prize winning author Jon Meacham, known more for his American-interest work and award-winning biography of President Bush 41 pens a unique portrait of the last seven phrases Jesus spoke on the cross while crucified. Combining faith and historical background, Meacham stitches both the gospels and his own essays into a written kaleidoscope well written and perfect for us and this time of year. Reflecting on my own faith I admit this is something I needed to read now, today, and it gave me ...more
Lane Willson
And now for something completely different...
Though I've never been an Anglican or Episcopal, I have always been impressed with the reverence they bring to not just worship, but expressions of faith in any form. Jon Meacham's latest book, The Hope of Glory: Reflections on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross is yet another example. However, sometimes reverence breeds distance, if not literally, then a vast perception of distance between God and we who bear his image. Meacham's incredible
Laina Johnston
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-suggestions
From the prologue:

This book began as a series of sermons (religious discourses) but is a book of illumination, not conversion. These meditations are shared in the hope that a sense of history and appreciation of theology might help readers make more sense of the cross in a world too much given to the competing forces of hostile skepticism, blind acceptance, or remote indifference.

Short and very well written and conveyed. People complaining about this authors personal beliefs does a disservice
Grindy Stone
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Just as other strong non-fiction writers like Paul Johnson and Garry Wills, Jon Meacham has offered up his own Bible-study work. Also like the other non-fiction writers' efforts, I didn't care much for it. I'm looking for the answer as to why God needed such a complicated and murky scheme as the life and passion of the Christ to redeem the world, rather than just issuing some fiat of redemption. Meacham doesn't answer that question.
Cheryl Ballard
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book written by the Pulitzer Prize winning author, Jon Meacham. Known for his books on history and politics he has written this book based on the last words of Jesus from the Cross. It is not preachy, but well researched and informative. I think the timing was perfect by having his book available shortly before Easter.
Mike Fedewa
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is certainly a fine book to read (and pray) as we come to Holy Week and Good Friday. It really is.
His chapter centered on the words I thirst is a magnificent reflection on the Eucharist. This is especially powerful this year when few will be able to participate in sharing the sacrament.
Jon Meacham is a gifted writer, and historian. He is a faithful Episcopalian. Whats not to like?
Gracie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"What, then, do we know for certain? That we should love one another as we would be loved, take care of the least of these, keep the feast in remembrance of Our Lord's sacrifice, and remain open, always open, to the mysterious grace of God. Yet how easy such things are to say, or to preach, and how hard, how very hard, they are to do."
Pam Bales
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. I saw an interview with Mr. Meacham on the Today show last week and decided to purchase the book. I enjoyed it and have shared with several of my Bible study compatriots. Studying the Bible and sharing God's word is good for everyone.
Amy Large
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books-read
This book about the last seven things Jesus is credited with saying. It gave me so much to think about. The scriptures are often misunderstood or misinterpreted, and Meacham gave me new perspectives on all the last words of Jesus.
Beatrice Sherrill
Powerful, thought provoking. Just what is needed as church is closed during this Lenten season due to coronavirus.

Timeliness, respect for author.
A look at the 7 last words that challenge the reader to get out of comfort zone.
J Adele LaCombe
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woke up Sunday morning and listened to this gem first thing. Since we aren't gathering together, and our church service wasn't yet streaming I thought I'd start with this. A perfect listen with great content and contemplation.

George Briggs
Darkness Unto Clarity

Historian Jon Meacham reflects on the inspirational,but often contradictory, message of the Good Friday crucifixion of Jesus. The book traces the soul searching which Christians have to deal with as they journey on their faith quest.
Patrice
Mar 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not really sure what the point of this book was. A complete disappointment. I don't think Mr. Meacham understands what Christianity is and teaches. I was hoping this would be a great Lent season read; I was wrong.
Dorothy Fischer
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thought and faith provoking. Amazing read, at a time I needed it the most. I remember why I have faith. I remember why I need to have faith! I will, more than likely, read again and again! Read this little book.
Terry Kelley
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Im a fan of the author, John Meachem. This latest little book offers insights and reflections on Christ and Christianity as Meachem writes it. I struggle (as many, I guess) with belief and faith; but here I may have found a bit more focus. ...more

• Embroidered Wild Flowers: Patterns Inspired by Field and Forest (Make Good: Japanese Craft Style)
  • Good Clean Beauty: Create over 75 Super Simple Beauty and Skin Recipes from Common Kitchen Pantry Ingredients
  • How Beautiful We Were
  • 100 Words of Affirmation Your Husband Needs to Hear
  • Becoming Sage: Cultivating Meaning, Purpose, and Spirituality in Midlife
  • Escape Game: The Mad Hacker
  • The Lord's Prayer: A Guide to Praying to Our Father
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • Apeirogon
  • First in Line: Presidents, Vice Presidents, and the Pursuit of Power
  • Lemon Bars with a Side of Murder (Daley Buzz Mystery #4)
Jon Meacham is the editor of Newsweek, a Pulitzer Prize winning bestselling author and a commentator on politics, history, and religious faith in America.