Start by marking “Something to Talk about” as Want to Read:

Something to Talk about

A showrunner and her assistant give the world something to talk about when they accidentally fuel a ridiculous rumor in this debut romance.

Hollywood powerhouse Jo is photographed making her assistant Emma laugh on the red carpet, and just like that, the tabloids declare them a couple. The so-called scandal couldn't come at a worse time--threatening Emma's promotion and
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by Berkley Books

Availability: 50 copies available, 2280 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 03 - Feb 23, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Something to Talk about, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something to Talk about

Start your review of Something to Talk about

megs_bookrack
    May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020-releases

I HAVE BEEN BLESSED!!!

Thank you so much, Berkley Books, for my ARC. You are always so good to me. I have been excited about this one for a while!!!

Original:

Berkley's FIRST QUEER FEMALE ROMANCE !!!

Too far?

Yeah, I probably went too far on that, but I am beyond for this one.

I've been loving Berkley Romance lately.
    They're crushing it.
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    I mean, it's about time Berkley got gay.

Edit: there's a cover now.. and it's one of those over stylized cartoons lol
    Tucker
    Sep 18, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    COVER COVER COVER

---------------

omg, Berkley's first lesbian romance!!!!

This is really Something to Talk About...

sorry i had to
    Sana
    May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
    BERKLEY IS FINALLY PUBLISHING ITS FIRST (SLOW BURN) QUEER ROMANCE AND A WLW AT THAT BY A QUEER AUTHOR EEEEEEEEEEEE
    agustina ♓
    Jan 29, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: waiting-list, lgbt
    BE GAY DO CRIMES
    Allison
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: debut-novels, novels
    I knew I'd love SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT because it's a lesbian romantic comedy (and an interracial couple, at that) but FRIENDS I was not expecting it to be the perfect, pro-consent, adorable romance novel that it is. This book made me so happy. There was not as much steam and explicit content as I usually like in my romance novels (LOL), but the build up was absolutely delicious and the commitment to consent was YES YES YES. Wilsner handled the boss/assistant aspect of Jo and Emma's ...more
    Jessica B.
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    SWOONIEST SLOW-BURN EVER. Jo and Emma are the cutest and I most definitely yelled "Just kiss already!" several times whilst reading. SO SO GOOD.

*early work perk read*
    Gretal
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    No review could convey all my feelings regarding this book. It just blew my expectations out of the water. The slow burn, the pining, their respect and love for each other! hjskdflahsda.

I am obsessed with this book, and I cannot wait for it to come out so I can buy a copy.
    Karena
    I'm not usually a slow burn romance fan, but in this case, it paid off. We really need more f/f romance and Wilsner has given us a gem. Both main characters are fully fleshed out. We have a workplace romance, but not. The sexual tension is delightful. I can't wait to see what else Wilsner puts out.
    Brittany ☾
    Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I just won this book from a Goodreads giveaway, and will update the review and rating when I finish reading the book. :)
    Em
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    What I liked most about this was how real Emma and Jo felt - their reactions, their concerns, their gradual realization of how much the other meant to them all made the characters believable and so easy to root for. The supporting characters, especially Avery and Evelyn, were a lot of fun as well. The red carpet photo and the rumors, plus their boss/employee relationship aren't the only obstacles Jo and Emma have to deal with, which also made the story more fleshed out.

I'm glad to see
    AJ
    May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Cute f/f romance is all I want and need in life
    nick

4.5/5

So wonderful, wholesome, lighthearted. It had some good discussions on sexual assault in Hollywood, but other than that this a sweet book was about two adorable dorks who dance around each other with their feelings. It was just what I needed!

RTC
    Mary Elizabeth
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is incredible and perfect and world, you are NOT ready.
    Amanda
    I received this novel as an ARC from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

FIRST OF ALL: I loved it.
    SECOND OF ALL: I truly loved it.

Personal Assistant Emma is devoted professionally to screenwriter and former child actress, Jo. Jo is about to be announced as the new writer for a James Bond-esque film series and all anyone can talk about is how a woman can't write an established action star. In order to not be forced to answer questions all night at the SAG Awards, Jo takes Emma with her and
    Caitlin Siciliano
    Emma is Jo's assistant, and she's very good at her job. Perhaps too good, because rumors start to spread that Jo and Emma are dating. Jo tries to convince Emma that "no comment" is the best course of action, but things spiral out of control quickly and the rumors will not die down. It doesn't help that someone on set is clearly leaking information to fuel the fire. Emma and Jo may have feelings for each other, after all, but how can they be together if it could destroy both of their careers?

I
    Erika
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    OH.MY.GOD. OBESSED WITH THE BOOK
    1. Loved the chemistry between Jo and Emma
    2. Loved the way Wilsner handled the power imbalance
    3. The Cassandra project was topical AF
    4. I just loved it!

Only thing was I was practically ready to throw my kindle towards the end waiting for these women finally get down to business. I am just too impatient for slow burns but I so enjoyed their journey and watching them fall in love.

*I received an ARC from netgalley in exchange for a fair review*
    Alicia Herrington
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Librarian: In the last 10 years LGBT romances have exploded across the YA market. A whole generation of teen readers have gotten used to having romances as diverse as they are. Well now those teenagers are growing up, and they want that same level of diversity in the adult romances they read. 'Something to Talk About' is a good one to hand them. It's as much frothy fun as any other Hollywood romance on the market, and it has at least some of the diverse content that the upcoming generation of ...more
    Madeline
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I really enjoyed the book. It's high time more money was put into f/f romance, and this will definitely help the genre open up more to queer characters and writers. The writing style was descriptive and funny, and offered a close glimpse into the characters' minds, which is important for contemporary romance! I loved how the romance developed between Emma and Jo, and thought that Wilsner did a great job with plotting and characterization.

I also loved how serious topics were handled by Wilsner.
    Erin
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Well, that was adorable. A very sweet, slow-burn Hollywood romance. I was initially nervous about the power dynamic between an older boss and her younger assistant, but Jo (the boss) is extremely conscious and careful. Frustratingly so, at times!

This is a story about learning to speak up for yourself and going after what you want. At any age. I hope we’ll get to see Emma and Jo again in future books.
    mahana
    rep: Jewish bisexual mc, Chinese American lesbian mc

there were a few contributing factors to the lower rating, including incorrect social media marketing comparing this to breaking character (though i didn’t like the latter, so i’m glad this wasn’t the same), labelling it a fake dating romance, my dislike for very large age gaps, and incredibly slow-burn romance. i’m aware everyone else loves books where the couple barely interact until the final chapter, or some find charm in romances between
    Shoshana G
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: romance
    Most of the book is about the ethics/power dynamics of their relationship which is good! I read a lot of romances where the consent is in some way dubious and/or coerced that it's nice to read a romance where the relationship is indisputably morally correct. I actually have a lot of thoughts about this issue that don't necessarily belong in this review but suffice it to say that I do think it's fun to sometimes read about "bad" sex that would be wrong IRL but so much romance from the past is ...more
    Hannah
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Talk about slow-burn...my god
    Lucy
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    THIS IS THE GREATEST BOOK. IT'S EVEN BETTER THAN I HAD HOPED AND MY HOPE WERE EXTREMELY HIGH.

I LOVE IT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO READ EVERYTHING MERYL WILSNER WRITES FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE
    Moon Love
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4.75 stars!

Meryl Wilsner's debut novel is stunning! I've never read a full length novel featuring two women as love interests, until now. If this is what I've been missing out on, I'm in for a treat!

Emma and Jo are delightful. Watching them slowly fall in love was wonderful. Emma is bubbly and hard working, she's long admired Jo her boss, but has always kept things professional. I could totally relate to and understand her insecurity about her career. Jo has been in the industry for decades and
    Katherine Sparkle
    I received a free ebook copy of Something to Talk About from NetGalley in exchange for feedback and an honest review.

When Jo Jones is seen laughing with her assistant at the SAG Awards, rumors that they are dating spread, but Jo hasn't publicly commented on her love life in 30 years and she's not about to start now. Curiously, as they deal with the fallout, Emma and Jo begin to realize their feelings aren't quite so platonic.

Something to Talk About is a very sweet and slow burning romance.
    Bethany
    Emma is the 27 year-old assistant of Shonda Rhimes-like Jo Jones, a former child actress who has cultivated and runs a massive production company. Emma is superb at her job, and Jo's life certainly runs more smoothly thanks to Emma. But maybe it's more than just smooth running thanks to Emma.... Rumors of a relationship between boss and assistant crop up after Emma innocently accompanies Jo to the SAG Awards. As the two work through their feelings-- denial and finally slow acceptance-- a ...more
    Michelle Rodriguez
    Meryl Wilsner is a new to me author. This book was suggested via Net Galley. After reading the blurb, I requested to read.

Let’s start with the positive. The author is a good writer. What you read from the blurb is actually how the story goes. Most blurbs are spoilerish, but the theme behind STTA was must right.

I really enjoyed both characters in different ways. Everyone should have an Emma as an assistant and Jo as a boss.

Although as I mention above is good, and usually I don’t mind a slow
    Dany Stark
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Look, I’ll be real - starting this book I wasn’t sure. A boss and her assistant? That’s a big power dynamic that can turn out terribly. Understandably I was worried, but I shouldn’t have been. While #MeToo was addressed in this book, not once did Jo ever cross a line she shouldn’t have. Rather, she went out of her way to make sure she never put Emma in a compromising position and if one *did* arise between them for any reason, she was quick to stop it.

Consent was also a big thing - Jo made sure

• The Worst Best Man
    • Not the Girl You Marry
    • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • The Happy Ever After Playlist
    • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
    • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
    • Mangos and Mistletoe
    • Not That Kind of Guy
    • Tikka Chance on Me
    • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
    • In Five Years
    • Love Lettering
    • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
    • The Glass Hotel
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • The Roommate
    • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
    Meryl Wilsner writes stories about queer women falling in love. Born in Michigan, Meryl lived in Portland, Oregon and Jackson, Mississippi before recently returning to the Mitten State. Some of Meryl’s favorite things include: all four seasons, button down shirts, the way giraffes run, and their wife.