Start by marking “Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage” as Want to Read:
Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage

Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage

Theirs was one of the great love stories of our time. Indeed, John Fitzgerald Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline Lee Bouvier captured and have held the world's imagination as perhaps no other husband and wife in modern history. Yet despite the billions of words that have been written about this most golden of couples, the true nature of their relationship has been veiled in m ...more
Kindle Edition
Published October 22nd 2019 (first published January 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and Jackie

Start your review of Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage
Eileen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been totally amazed and absolutely godsmacked at the immoral behavior of not only Jack Kennedy but his father AND Jackie's father. If this is the kind of behavior our politicians and people of power have been wielding for centuries it's no wonder our nation's leaders are as corrupt as they are. You can't be doing admirable things when your moral compass is off between the sheets with the masses.
Sandra Burns
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read, but some errors.

At the 44% unfinished sentence at the next to the last paragraph, 56%, 65% word c rest of the word and 67%. Liked the pictures included also. This was a Kindle read. Story of the two of them.
Carol
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received a Kindle copy as a GoodReads giveaway. A guilty-pleasure read, fascinating but sordid.
Carlee
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read.
Jan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Will always remember them....
Samantha Vinokor
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read several books about the Kennedys and this one, while a history book, read like a novel. So engaging and with so many fun tidbits. Can not recommend enough!
Korie Brown
May 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
All the dirt that’s not fit to print. Not my kind of read.
Carol Lynn Scherling
This book not only covers their marriage, but how Jack and Jackie met. Although they were the King and Queen of Camelot, they still had ordinary issues.What made me smile is JFK getting angry with Jackie for spending too much money.
Gabrielle
Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage is a book about the Kennedy marriage. It is a long read, but if you are fascinated by history or the Kennedys, it is a wonderful read. Andersen goes into great depth in telling the story of this incredible couple, but he does not glorify them. The book gives an honest portrayal of Jack and Jackie. Although I knew how the marriage would end (in JFK's assassination), I found myself wanting it to end differently and tremendously sad when JFK died. T ...more
Elaine
This was a 3.5 star read. It was a very personal and intimate insight to one of the most famous couples of the 20th century. It was also quite confronting as to JFK's extensive womanising and also his very serious health issues. In spite of all his infidelities and all the other pressures faced by Jack and Jackie, especially their family tragedies, there was a genuine love and respect there. So in answer to my friend Kathryn's question...yes it was a kind of romance too.
Pamela Keats
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I had no idea how much I'd enjoy this book. It is well written, and we are taken into the secret, personal lives of Jack Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier. I could not rave about this enough. A must read!
Bobbiann Markle
Very interesting account—I actually cried when it came to the assassination and subsequent events—but there is so much dirt in it. Perhaps it can't be helped, but I can't recommend it because of that.
Katy
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About 3 stars - it was fascinating to read about their background and how they came together, personally and what they accomplished. I really enjoyed reading about Jackie's family history.

The pictures are a good touch, too
Brittany
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing story of the lives of Jackie and John Kennedy. I enjoyed how the book contains pictures of events mentioned throughout the book. I never realized the unfortunate events the Kenndys experienced. Overall I thought this was a great book.
Denise Lopez
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Avid fan of Jackie O
Shelves: non-fiction
Jackie is a real lady and deserving to be an icon in whatever nationality...
Judith
Oct 29, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jen Roe
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful book
Nancy
Interesting historical read. I learned things I didn't know
Karen
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Kennedy's......just another book......
Emily
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very intriguing...also very sad, but so honest.
Beth Bedee
I went through a period of obsession over the Kennedy's. This was my first book during that phase. I found the information fascinating. I loved it.
Lisa Neal
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read about Camelot and the lives of JFK and Jackie, so if course I enjoyed this book. :)
Regina
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love a good biography - and THIS is a good biography. I felt like a fly on the wall of the Kennedy home.
Marie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Astonishing! If this is true (and who knows?) it's amazing what "we" didn't know. But for all its revelations, that couple is still wonderful in my eyes, although now the silver is a bit tarnished.
Karri Roling-wilson
a wonderful inside look at an American marriage full of infidelity, drugs, loss and most of all love
Michelle Neville
insightful
Anne Fischer
Reads like a gossip magazine.
Amanda
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Really liked it actually. Drew a balanced picture of the Jack and Jackie Kennedy relationship yet told me things I didn't know yet.
Anna
From Mom and her obsession with the Kennedys, which has become nonexistent strangely considering last year.
Gigi Zurita
Jul 22, 2014

• Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir
  • The Dark Side of Camelot
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Five Days in November
  • The Kennedy Women: The Saga of an American Family
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Capturing Camelot: Stanley Tretick's Iconic Images of the Kennedys
  • Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
  • Audrey, Wait!
  • From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars
  • A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House
  • Outlier: Rebellion (Outlier, #1)
  • Earth
  • Outlier: Beyond Oblivion (Outlier, #4)
  • Outlier: Reign Of Madness (Outlier, #3)
  • Outlier: Legacy (Outlier, #2)
  • Stuck
  • Rose: The Life And Times Of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy: Rose: The Life And Times Of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated