Start by marking “How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)

How to Shield an Assassin

(Unholy Trifecta #1)

It’s not stealing if you’re stealing it back….

Ari had a game plan for life. Shoot people. Get money. Hang out with fellow criminal friends. He saw absolutely no reason to change that plan until one dark night in Memphis, when a little girl reached out to him with pocket change and a desperate plea for him to help her.

Adopting an abused little girl off the streets was,
Published October 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about How to Shield an Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Shield an Assassin

Start your review of How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta #1)
~Volha~
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a light-hearted slow burn low steam love story. Told from dual POV it features asexual (that's how he seemed to me) assassin starting a relationship with a very patient and protective mercenary while planning a successful heist. The characters are very likable and approachable. I enjoyed Ari, the assassin, and his friends Ivan, the thief, and Kyou, the hacker, especially how they rallied when Remi, a little girl, came into their lives. Carter, the mercenary, was what they all needed to ...more
Jinx
(view spoiler) ...more
JG
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Aj Sherwood is a solid writer. Her book Fourth Point of Contact will always be one of my favorite romance of all time. However, I had a really hard time connecting with this book.

My problem, first and foremost, is with Remi. While it irks me, I can generally let it slide it when kids don't act kids in books. However, seeing that 8 year old Remi is one of our MC and takes her fair share of time in the spot light, its a lot harder to ignore it.

Second, I wasn't really interested in the characters
Maggie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I first learned of A.J. Sherwood through her Jon's Mysteries series and kinda fell in love with her writing style. And then I read her Fourth Point of Contact and my mind was blown!
But this book... this book is a bit different from her others and yet oh so wonderful, It was a fun, delightfully amusing romp despite the main characters being an assassin, a mercenary, a thief and a hacker. Oh, and a seriously badass little girl who has them all wrapped around her finger!

Assassin Ari (Aristide)
JoAnn
Such a sweet story with a lot of good banter and some incredibly adorable criminals.

I will admit that you need to suspend logic a bit for this one and just enjoy the story as is. If not you’ll probably get a migraine from the continuous eye rolls.

Also it was definitely a slow burn/low steam story. And honestly this would have been a 5 star for me but the romance remained in the awkward stage just a little to long... and all that slow tension to have a measly chaste first kiss....
Nat ReadingAllNite
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku-borrow, m-m
Sweetest assassin ever

This was amusing and very escapist with highly unlikely depictions of bad-guys-for-hire. An 8 yr old hacker/assassin in training is surprisingly not too cutesy but Ari and Carter seem almost too coy and virginal, going way past assassin/mercenaries with hearts of gold. Dialogue is pretty saccharine at times. The plot held together well enough, since it’s not necessary to take it too seriously as suspense. As a vehicle to begin a series of fluffy romances around men of less
Jenny
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. This is totally my speed enough emotional depth to tug at my heart without being angsty. A fun group of characters with lots of humor. I also love that the plot doesn’t weigh everything down too much. It’s there to propel the story but you aren’t bored with detail upon detail. My only complaint is that I think it wraps up a bit quickly at the end. I would have liked to have had a bit more. :)
T.J. Fox
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Overall: 4/5 Stars
Characters: 4/5 Stars
Believability: 3.5/5 Stars
Personal Opinion: 4/5 Stars

I am almost always a sucker for a book about tough guys looking out for little kids so this book was an obvious pick up for me. It ended up being cute and adorable and funny. It did push a few of my believability and "too perfect" buttons on a couple of the scenarios, but I enjoyed the rest too much for that to make much of an impact on my overall opinion of the story.
Courtney Bassett
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wrote-review, mm
Fun and gripping

I love assassin books and I love heist books, and this has BOTH. It was so fun seeing the softer side of these men who kill and steal for a living as they helped care for a precocious little girl. I really enjoyed this, and can’t wait for the next in the series!
Leigh
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This was the first book I have read from this author and it will not be the last. Awesome read and I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Wende
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remi! Love that child. This book was wonderful and can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Jessica
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg

This book is ridiculous and one of the best things I’ve ever read lol! Can’t wait for more in this series.
Wambui
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
I'm crossing my fingers the next book is all about Luca.
Levi
Oct 27, 2019 added it
DNF ... reason? the kid ... nope!
Dumbledore11214
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense, m-m-romance
Astiara
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it! Good story and character, it was fun seeing how to prepar and pull off a theft. And ivan trick with the fingertip? It left me feeling exatly like carter. Wondering if it really work in real life, but i don't have a fingertip scanner to try it on xp, also really curious about what the other trick with the bedsheet was! And while i really liked ari i think ivan is my favorite so i'm really looking forward to books two!

Ahem, by the way, the story is about a team of 4 guys
Samantha
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the next!

I would give this book 5stars just for introducing me to Turkish wrestling. But it really was a great book. I was hesitant because the synopsis was interesting but could easily be "meh". It wasnt.

It was really well done. The characters meshed well together and I loved that Remi was more than just an add on or some kind of strained plot device. She was a bit more mature than a standard 8 year old but honestly having dealt with kids in abuse situations like hers before
Beth
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amusing, quirky, fun read

This is a fun read with some quirky and entertaining characters. The MCs from the romance standpoint are Ari, the assassin and Carter the mercenary. Equally important to the story are Remi, Ari’s eight year old adopted daughter, Ivan the thief and Kyuo the hacker.

The story revolves around a heist but is really the tale of the relationships between all these characters and how they become a team and a family. It’s humorous and also tugs at the heartstrings as the
Shannon
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the feels with assassins??

This book blew my mind away. I can not believe that AJ managed to turn an assassin into a father and also find love with a jack of all trades mercenary.
This book was amazing. I was invested straight from the beginning with Ari and Remi’s story. I loved how he managed to take in a little girl and treat her as his own.
The interactions with Ari and Remi and Remi with the rest of the crew was heartbreaking sweet. She has a special pull.
Carter coming into the story
Xochitl
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of AJ Sherwood because she had a way to introduce you to a wonderful worlds with great characters. In this story she introduces us to Ari and Carter, and of course Remi. The plot is interesting, full of intrigue, action-packed and danger situations, but also has incredible interactions between the team that make you want to be a friend of them. The way that Remi asked for help after meeting Ari broke my heart but then I’ll see her flourished under Ari’s care and meeting Ivan and ...more
Asher
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Start of a awesome new series

Another great book by AJ Sherwood! I loved all the characters in this book. They were complex and there was a lot of psycological (and physical) trauma to work through but it was also broken up with hilarious moments. It was also written really well and the pace of the book was well done too. One thing is that the whole stealing of the painting takes a back seat to the romance and friendships that are developed. I wasn't disappointed by this, but if your here for a
Yunga2013
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book of a new series turned out to be a very good one. A story of a group of criminals (very charming ones I should mention) preparing for and carrying out a "heist of the century". An assasin, a hacker, a thief, a mercenary....and an eight-year-old girl all thrown into the mix. Add here a cute romance story (you know all these hard criminals are such softies) and you'll get the impression. Such a light and pleasant read, full of funny banter, jokes and heartwarming love of hardened ...more
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ADVENTURE & LOVE!

The story was very entertaining. It kept me involved every step of the way.

The five main characters were well thought out and the author does an excellent job in how the characters interact with each other. You really feel the familial connection and affection between them.

I most enjoyed how well this author writes the "action". As the reader you know exactly what is happening and it almost feels like watching a great heist movie in your head.

I will read ALL of the author's
Vicky Stahr
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing find

The story started with an utterly novel incident that makes absolute sense without the need for elaborate psychological explanations of so many other authors. The writer gives the reader credit for having the ability to "get it" and then rewards us with an amazing story of as diverse a group of "specialists" you could ever hope to meet. Don't wait, get this now, your going to find yourself craving more.
Dee
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant!

Loved the story! It could have been heartbreaking, considering what Remi had been through, but Ms Sherwood made her a heroine to admire.
Ari has a heart of gold beneath his hard exterior. Carter is such a lovely character; rounding out the gang with Ivan and Kyou, this has been a very good story. Loved it!
Hope to see more of the budding relationship between Ari, Carter and Remi. And I'd love to see how Ivan and Kyou fare in the future.
Ahiku .
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the Jon's Mysteries series a lot, but this one really doesn't do it for me. The characterizations are weird. The usage of foreign words bothered me... the kid was not lite a kid at all and I didn't like her attitude... I didn't like no ones attitude here, like teaching a kid to do criminal stuff. Or adopting this kid in 4 seconds flat... Nope.
It wasn't enjoyable at all to me. Sadly.
It sounded so interesting. ):
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great beginning

The book is a great beginning to a new series. Is also has a great beginning to the story. I've read stories before about assassin's who a good deep down but not like this one. Ari has no problem with his job but still can't leave a little orphan girl alone. His answer - to adopt her. The story goes from there. All the characters have distinct personalities but mesh. Weird but in a good way. Loved it. Can't wait for the next one.
Sylvia Perez
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great

I'm in love with this writer, first I discover his series of Jon and gave him my heart and now I read this and have to divided my heart in 2 cause I fell in love again . AJ your books are so good and so much fun, your characters are so lovable you have a fan forever.
Amanda
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining story by AJ Sherwood. An assassin ,a third , a hacker , an 8 year old black widow wanna be, and let's through in a mercenary to round things out. This story is funny, sweet, and interesting as all 5 of them work together for a job. Can't wait for more books in the series. I can see this becoming one of my favorites.
NeRdyWYRM
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!

It was action-packed, humorous and endearing. It's a slow burn in the bedroom, so if you're looking for something more on the lines of immediate gratification, this is not for you.

Gladly, I enjoy a good story more. This one was well worth the read, and it's got LEGS.

I can't wait to see what happens next with this motley crew.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes (The Hitman's Guide #2)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • A New Empire (Fog City, #3)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • Tallowwood
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Without Warning (Cobalt Security, #1)
  • Rocket Science
  • Wishing on a Dream
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts #1)
  • Raven's Hart (Haven Hart Universe #7)
AJ Sherwood believes in happily ever afters, magic, dragons, good men, and dark chocolate. She often dreams at night of delectable men doing sexy things with each other. In between writing multiple books (often at the same time) she pets her cats, plays with her dogs, and attempts insane things like aerial yoga.

She currently resides in Tennessee with aforementioned cats, dogs, and her editor/best