Start by marking “Above the Fold” as Want to Read:

Above the Fold

After losing the love of her life to a big city journalism job, Elissa Tillman pours herself into the suffragette movement and her secretarial work helping keep her father’s Pittsburgh newspaper afloat.

Cole Parker returns to the steel city with the phantom failures of his past nipping his heels. All he asks of the future is a second chance with the woman he once spurned.
Published December 3rd 2019 by Smitten Historical Romance (first published December 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Above the Fold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Fold

Start your review of Above the Fold
Staci
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This debut was well shared over social media. After seeing it so many times and finding a copy at my library, I decided to give this novel a try.

The heroine is very career focused in a time when women were expected to be wives and not in the workforce. Elissa works for her father at his newspaper, but craves a larger role and more respect. Her former beau Cole, has learned from his mistakes and simply wants to re-earn Elissa's heart.

The story line was engaging. I look forward to seeing what
Kailey
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning debut novel from Rachel Scott McDaniel!! I was so wrapped up in this story that I read it all in one sitting! It was that good! I loved Cole and Elissa! I’m really looking forward to reading more from her! Definitely a 5 star book!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Sarah Sundin
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a blast! In Above the Fold, the Roaring Twenties in Pittsburgh comes to life, from the sooty streets to the speakeasies to the raucous world of journalism. Both Cole and Elissa are appealing – strong and sassy, but deeply vulnerable – and their romance is swoon-worthy. Rachel Scott McDaniel‘s debut novel will keep you flipping pages to the end!
MJSH
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-tours, read-2020
“Seems to me, Spark, you can’t value the beauty until you understand the journey.”

What a fun debut by Rachel Scott McDaniel! It has strong and passionate and sassy characters, a well-paced and smoothly flowing plot, a great thread of intrigue and suspense that plays out with surprising twists and turns, and a romance that’s frustrating but also tender and sweet. The author also weaves into the plot the growth of women’s rights and the hypocrisy found during the Prohibition era in the city of
Courtney Clark
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first book finished in 2020 & it's set in the "roaring" 1920s! :)

Above the Fold is a fun and romantic debut from author Rachel Scott McDaniel! It has everything one would want in a 1920s tale: snappy dialogue, a thrilling mystery to investigate, a competition between rival formerly-romantically-entangled reporters, swoony romance, and deeply expressed themes of forgiveness, unconditional love, and a heavenly Father who never forsakes.

Reading a historical novel like this with simultaneous
Keren Herrera-Lyles
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Above the Fold is by far the most captivating story I have read. New Author to me Rachel McDaniel and her first debut story has me hooked and is a Must read.

Above the Fold is a story that words will not do it justice. The author has formatted this story in a way that captivates you with a mixture of Mystery, Suspense, Romance, Fun Charm and Faith in God which in return molds and blends it together forming this amazing story.

Set in Pittsburgh in the 20s, when alcohol was a number #1 thing and
Kathryn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! Review to come!
Caitlyn Santi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word! This novel is absolutely phenomenal! I absolutely adored every moment of Elissa and Cole's story. I was swept away into another time from the moment I started reading, and I was completely absorbed in the story, to the point that I even forgot I was reading and instead felt that I was living the story alongside the characters, a true mark of a magnificent writer!
Everything about this book made my heart soar, and I found myself caught between not wanting to stop reading and wanting to
Abigail Wilson
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a determined heroine, a beautifully crafted mystery, and a love story that sizzles off the page, Above the Fold was a joy to read! Rachel McDaniel has captured to perfection the roaring culture of the 1920’s newspaper business and the intricacies of two hearts yearning for a second chance at love. I couldn’t put it down.
A. Harrison
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review of Above The Fold by Rachel Scott McDaniel
The cover, the Twenties, the blue, the blurb, the look of the characters on the cover, old flames, redemption, coming back to what you knew, journalists, all of this makes Above The Line a shockingly wonderful book. Signing up to read this on a hunch that it would be good was a smart idea, because this was good. A new author to be on the lookout for, the suspense, the romance, the newspaper, all tells a story of the past and makes me miss
Patti Stockdale
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve wanted to read McDaniel’s award-winning debut, Above the Fold, for almost a year, and it didn’t disappoint. She drops the reader into 1922 Pittsburgh, where the hero and heroine work, compete, and flirt side-by-side at a newspaper office. It’s a fun ride. As much as I enjoyed the well-drawn characters and unpredictable plot, my favorite part of the book is McDaniel’s talent to turn a phrase. I’m a fan!
Suzie Waltner
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

From the 1920s setting to the hero and heroine going toe-to-toe for a headline, to the unexpected twists, and moments of levity between Cole and Elissa, Above the Fold is a delightful and entertaining story from the first page to the last.

Rachel Scott McDaniel gives readers some Pittsburgh and women’s equality history while weaving a story of competition, romance, learning our value in being the person God created us to be, and the value of forgiveness.

This is a fresh and fun historical
Janice Sisemore
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Above the Fold

Above the Fold is a historical book set in 1922. Elissa’s dad owns a newspaper and she likes to write articles for it. In that day and time women didn’t really much chances for real stories. Will Elissa get her chance to write what she really wants?

In Above the Fold Cole comes back after he had broken Elissa heart when he left town. Elissa is involved with someone else but will it last? Cole is hired by Elissa’s father and she is none too happy about it.

One of my favorite
Paula Shreckhise
Above The Fold is a thoroughly enjoyable, well written debut novel by Rachel Scott McDaniel.
It is set in the roaring twenties and women have recently won the right to vote. Now Lissa Tillman has her sights set on comparable jobs and pay for women. She is an accomplished journalist and wants her by-line above the fold in her father’s newspaper.
This story has a no-nonsense heroine, a humble hero, Cole Parker, and a newspaper trying to stay afloat. It is during prohibition and the Pittsburgh
Janine Rosche
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With snappy dialogue and fevered plot points, this story deftly moves from endearing to gripping to swoony to funny and back again. Cole is a fine hero who is written so well, I felt at times like he was trying to win MY heart! Elissa is a driven heroine who has been kept in “a woman’s place” far too long. So when her drive to succeed and correct societal wrongs took a personal toll, it made me cheer for her all the more. This book is a great mystery, a powerful and redemptive love story, and an ...more
Chloe Flanagan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing beats the energy of a busy newsroom or the thrill of pursuing a hot lead. At least that’s how it is for aspiring journalist Elissa Tillman. But when the path to the perfect scoop leads to danger, self-doubt, and a competition with the man who once broke her heart, she will have to trust God more than her own investigative prowess, because there’s much more at stake than a byline.

Although it is set in the Roaring 20s, Above the Fold provides a timeless depiction of young adulthood: the
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
This is such a phenomenal debut! I absolutely love everything about this page-turning, story! Vivid and full of page-turning drama, I felt like I was right there in the 1920s with Elissa and Cole. With a strong plot and dynamic characters, this story is one for the keeper shelf!

I loved the witty banter between these two characters, as well as their tenacity and vulnerability. The character growth and lessons learned reach far beyond the pages and right into the heart of the readers.

With a sweet
Andrea
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a fantastic story! It felt like I was watching a classic film noir type movie with an added faith element while I was reading. I loved it! The mystery was great, I really liked the twists and surprises. Lots of sneaking and snooping. Exactly, what a good reporter should be doing.
I loved Elissa and Cole. They were not perfect people, they had real depth and flaws. I loved how Cole tried to get Elissa to at least be his friend again. I liked the history they shared and the way they
Nicole
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is rich in historical tidbits of all the things from the roaring 20's!
First time author Rachel Scott McDaniel has written a book that brings you into the news world in this time.
I really don't read much historical fiction from this era, so it was interesting to see how life was like during the prohibition era.
Cole was an awesome hero! He was thoughtful, protective and trying to do the right thing.
To be honest I had a hard time getting into Elissa. She came across as so hard and
Ashley Johnson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a treat! What a fabulous debut novel! An exciting plot combined with characters that felt real made this book a page turner for me. I absolutely loved the writing style and the plot kept me guessing until the final pages! Twists and turns, oh my! Cole is my hero! His confidence and sense of humor were the perfect combination! Elissa was passionate and driven, and while I might have wanted to thump her pretty head a time or two, she was a solid character that I was able to ...more
Samantha McCollough
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story

Above the Fold was an enthralling story of loss and finding love again when you feel like there’s no hope anymore. This book was beautifully written, and I very much enjoyed reading this story and taking this journey through the 1922’s with Elissa and Cole.
I also enjoyed learning about women’s suffrage and how they strived to be seen in a male-dominant profession. I could tell that Rachel studied hard and long for this book, and I appreciate the effort that she put into crafting
Gloria _ Moseley
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had long anticipated receiving my copy of "Above the Fold" by Rachel Scott McDaniel, and I must say that the wordplay did not disappoint. Set in Pittsburgh during the heyday of the steel industry, and following close on the heels of World War I (ending in 1918), and the end of the suffragette movement (ratified in 1919), Elissa Tillman finds herself diligently working to make her mark in a "man's world". As fate would have it, she must compete against her former flame Cole Parker. The story of ...more
Rachel
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great debut book! With this as a start I look forward to more from this author.
Joy
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I started this book, I felt like I was back in an old movie starring Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. I loved it!! It had romance and mystery and humor. The characters were fabulous. The time period was new to me and I enjoyed learning about that time in history as I read. I highly recommend it!
Pegg
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romance, intrigue, and the struggle to find their places in the world. Get swept back into the 1920s with Elissa and Cole. The world is changing, one war ended while other threats loom. Roles are changing too, so when Elissa plans to join the all-male world of newspaper reporting, there are plenty of roadblocks in her way, including a dead body and an old flame. Well worth reading!
Randi Sampson
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I didn't already know that Above the Fold was the debut novel from Rachel Scott McDaniel, I would never have believed it. This novel is so wonderfully written with the perfect blend of romance, mystery and faith that I would have expected from a seasoned author. It certainly has me excited to see what will come next!

Above the Fold is a historical romance taking place in the Prohibition 1920s. I haven't read many books that really put focus on that period, but after reading this one I am
Sally
I’ve a special affinity for the city of Pittsburgh. It’s the first American city I visited, back in 1996, and something about seeing that skyline – whether it’s through the tunnels to the south or on the highway to the north – still excites me. Naturally, I love reading historical fiction set in western Pennsylvania. Above the Fold grabbed my attention in the first paragraph, where the windows of the Allegheny County Courthouse are described as “soot-stained.” Those few words captured the ...more
Amanda
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Ambitious, uber-competitive Elissa Tillman wants two things in life: to be recognized with her own byline in the Pittsburgh Review, and to forget about Cole Parker, the man who broke her heart five years back. But both goals become much more difficult when Cole himself returns…and he, too, is gunning for a job at the Review. I’m a sucker for second-chance love stories, so their shared history and sizzling chemistry was right up my alley. I also loved how both Cole’s charm and Elissa’s tough ...more
Dee Wolters
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Above the Fold” by Rachel Scott McDaniel, book review

Elissa grew up in a newspaper family. Her grandfather and father both ran the paper, and she wants to follow in their footsteps, but women cannot be reporters or editors. So she pours her energy into the suffrage movement and writes under a man’s name.

Cole left Elissa for a job in the big city, but he never forgot her. He always planned to return when he had made a name for himself. But things went terribly wrong quite quickly, and he found
Amy Renaud
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been eagerly waiting for this book's release. And it far exceeded my expectations!

Where to begin?

This story is a page turner from the very start. Rachel's witty & clever voice carries through this novel from beginning to end.

I absolutely loved the faith and redemption aspects of this book—woven perfectly throughout the story.

I adored Elissa and Cole’s characters. Well done Rachel! Elissa, the sassy reporter, Cole the charming man who had left her behind when he should have stayed. But
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Love You Truly
  • Mistletoe Menagerie (A Madison River Romance Novella)
  • Christmas at the Circus
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • The Dating Charade
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • Foremost (The Lost Princesses, #2)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Royally Yours