Start by marking “Tying the Leaves” as Want to Read:
Tying the Leaves

Tying the Leaves

Jamie, a timid Virginia boy, and his three friends time travel seventy years into the future where they are horrified at a barren Earth devastated by climate change and dirty energy pollution. They return to the present and launch an international kids' crusade to save the planet from the same toxic gases threatening the life of Jamie's little sister.

Insisting that the U.
Published October 22nd 2019 by Toher's Tales

To ask other readers questions about Tying the Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tying the Leaves

Start your review of Tying the Leaves
Carolp
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for every middle or high school student...and their parents!
It brings with it a remarkable knowledge of the effects of climate change and what can be done now to combat it along with a great story to hold the attention of any reader.
Cynthia G
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At first this seemed like a book about kids, which mostly it is. But its much more than that. As the story progressed it became obvious to me that this is a sophisticated piece of literature written in simple language about complex issues. The author, June Toher, gently pulls you in grabs you, and keeps you enthralled until the end.

On the surface Tying the Leaves is a tale about Jamie, a boy with poor self- esteem, struggling with grief and guilt over a relatively recent death, and worried
Peter Slepsky
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tying The Leaves is a MUST READ novel. It is a fantastic story with a great plot and sub-plots, superb character development, fast paced action and intrigue, with valuable life lessons for adults, adolescents and teens. Characters cross gender, ethnicity, religious and social status in favorable interactions. The author has expertly woven in the issues of today including children's health, environmental issues, politics, the influence of lobbyists, and the science of climate change.

The timing of
Alex M
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tying the Leaves is an important story for our time and very well written. I got hooked right from the prologue and kept wondering throughout the novel what was going to happen to the sick little girl. It was endearing how protective her older brother was and how all three of the siblings interacted with each other. I love stories about siblings, and this was one of the best Ive read.

The author, June Toher, developed all the young characters in a way that made me really care about them.
Susan
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very timely story about a young boy and his friends who look into the future of the planet and begin to organize a world youth movement to promote clean energy. Well researched and passionately written, it is a that will both entertain and educate the reader.
David Shaffer
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Masterfully written! A thought provoking, powerful message about the future of our Earth as seen through the eyes of a compassionate adolescent. A "must read" for anyone concerned about our environment!
Jeannie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! You cry for the characters and for the world they are trying desperately to alert. They are driven by what they have seen in the not too distant horrifying future. Who will believe what is coming? The children wisely decide not to tell anyone about their experience. They find another way - involving children world wide to help them to get adults to act. Some of the most powerfully moving moments in Toher's narrative are the futuristic scenes. For anyone who has heard what ...more
Peggy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very timely and informative book. The character development of the kids was well done and drew the reader into the thoughts and feelings of them and how what is going on with global warming and environmental issues is affecting those of youth. Gives a different perspective to an adult. I would recommend this book for young and old alike.
Carol W.
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This tale is an appealing story for young people who are concerned with contemporary environmental issues and the role that politics and big business play in how society addresses climate change. The adolescent characters work together in a commitment to stand up to the negative forces of the status quo which continue to pollute our world. A heartwarming and engaging story!
Sara
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I liked the novel. I found Jamie and his friends to be very well-written. Jamie begins the book as a shy twelve-year-old who lacks self-esteem, is struggling with grief and is terrified about his asthmatic sisters health. In the process of trying to get others to pay attention to climate change, and trying to get others to listen and care about whats happening, he becomes a much more confident person. The other three kids, Keisha, Tony and Raj have their own character arcs which center ...more
Sheila
Nov 12, 2019
Jillian
marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2019
Brenda Knight
marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2020
Advanced Copies f...: MG/YA cli-fi novel free for review -- so timely! 5 31 Jan 22, 2020 11:13AM

• Where the Crawdads Sing
  • The Dutch House
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Educated
  • All the Light We Cannot See
June Toher, a journalism graduate of Marquette University, started out as a newspaper reporter and magazine columnist, and later wrote and directed a local television news show. During her career she won several mass communications awards. A native of Massachusetts, she now lives in Virginia.

The title for the authors magical realism, youth climate-action novel, TYING THE LEAVES, was inspired by

News & Interviews