Start by marking “Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)

Dead Meat: Day 1

(Dødt kød #1)

The end of the world one day at a time

In this new apocalyptic zombie series from the author of They Come at Night and Human Flesh, we follow events day for day as the world slowly but surely decends into mayhem as the zombies take over. Don't miss the thrilling ride!

For fans of The Walking Dead, The Orphans Book and World War Z.

How it all began ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st
Published October 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dead Meat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Meat

Start your review of Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Day 1 ★★★★★
#2 Day 2 ★★★★★

Thomas has played a lot of Resident Evil and watched every episode of The Walking Dead—he knows what a zombie looks like. Her eyes are pale yet piercing, her mouth contorted into a snarl, the grimace made even more pronounced because of the missing piece of her lower lip. It looks like it might have been torn off, revealing the grey teeth and pink gums. Blood has run down her chin and stained the front of the dress, which once was white but now looks more like a butcher'/>Thomas
Latasha
I received the book from the author in exchange for a review. Thank you Nick.

Nick Clausen is very talented. His stories pull you in, take hold and don't let go. They are well written and intense. This book throws you in at ground zero of the zombie outbreak. However, the characters are well aware of what's happening, what to do and how to stop it. They try but I guess we'll have to read book 2 to see if it worked.
Regitze
Review copy from the publisher, Facet.
Reviewed on my blog Bookish Love Affair.

How much can happen in one day? I mean, how badly could thing get out of hand?
Very. Really very much. And as such, we see the beginning of an assumed zombie-apocaplypse through the eyes of two boys in their late teens and how in just one day everything changes.

It's fast-paced, kinda disgusting and spooky. I wonder what happens on day two.
Jackie's Bookbytes
***I was provided with a free copy by the author in exchange for a review.
Dead Meat is about three children who get stuck in the basement of a house that is overrun by zombies.
The prospect of survival is very grim for Thomas, Dan and Jennie but if there is any hope to stay alive,
they need to make sure all of the zombies are dead.
When Thomas, Dan and his sister Jennie arrive at the end of their paper route, the furthest thing on their minds was getting eaten by zombies. The weather was hot that day and they/>Dead***I
Daisy Sauceda
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the suspense of the story. The characters were great. You have a mix of emotions from each of the characters. For me, this was a quick read and I devoured it.

The story just jumps right in and follows Thomas, Jennie and Dan and then the suspense builds real quick. You learn that they are all kids who have to make quick decisions. At one point you are trying to figure out what happen to start this chain of events. It's not your typical zombie
Seraphia
Dead Meat: Day 1 is a horror thriller by Nick Clausen that promises readers a trip down “scary lane.” This story takes place in Denmark with three teenagers out on a regular day not expecting the horrors that they are about to face as one simply goes into an old woman’s house to do a simple job – deliver a newspaper. Things take a horrific turn with a gruesome discovery that, due to a cruel twist of fate, has far-reaching consequences.
Being an avid fan and lover of horror movies and always look
Daniell Marsh
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read some spooky stories as it is the month of October and I really don’t usually read them. I have to say the reason is that I have too vivid of an imagination so it sticks with me. This year I wanted to do something different and try again. I am not sure if this was a good decision after reading this story. So I read the description and thought it sounded interesting. Maybe one that wouldn’t be too creepy even if it did contain zombies. Can you hear me laughing at myself. Ya it was ...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me why I love the zombie genre so much. This one is a different take because it's the very beginning, the origin story if you will. I got an ARC copy, but it didn't effect my opinion whatsoever. I found myself tearing through this book to see what happened.

Like many of these types of books, the main characters made some really stupid decisions. I give them latitude because they're young and in a stressful situation. There are some flaws and I found one ty
Katharina
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Dead Meat three friends have to escape the house of an old woman that turned into a zombie. Being trapped in the cellar it's not easy to get around zombie granny. Then worst case happens: one of them turns as well. Will the other two escape or will all of them have the same fate?

Dead Meat isn't your usual zombie apocalypse story, but it's as suspenseful as them. I really like how Nick Clausen can make you feel like you're also there, even though it's such a short read! So I can re
Margaux Espinosa
Damn! That was suspenseful as hell. I have a serious obsession with zombies so of course this was right up my ally. I loved how short and full of complications and suspense this read was. Nick Clausen always does a great job making his horror stories feel like they’re real. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time wondering what they were going to do next what else could possibly go wrong. Then the cliffhanger, I need to know what happens on day two now!
Iseult Murphy
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three teenage friends encounter zombies in an isolated country house while on a paper route. Zombies may be past their freshest, but I love them, and Nick Clausen does them justice with a taut, suspenseful tale. I liked the characters, found the situation realistic and enjoyed the level of gore.
If this is day 1, I can’t wait to read day 2!
Emilie Hrabak
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love stories that take place over one day because it shows you just how much can go wrong quickly over the course of one day.
I loved the unexpected twist and this was an interesting take on a zombie origin story. I’m excited to see what unfurls in the next book in the series!
Olga Miret
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read, full of frights, tension, and touches of dark humour I received an ARC copy of the story from the author which I freely chose to review.
I have recently read a novella from the same author that I enjoyed, and when he contacted me and offered me a copy of the first part of his new zombie series (new in English, although already published and successful in Danish) I had to say yes. Despite being a horror fan, I haven’t read many zombie books but, like many of us, I’ve watched en
laura8759
Shelves: review
Thank you so much to nick clausen for the pdf download of Dead Meat: Day 1 (Dead Meat #1) about the book .....

The end of the world one day at a time

For fans of The Walking Dead, The Orphans Book and World War Z.

How it all b
Erica Metcalf
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, ya-horror
Love zombie tales? This YA horror tale is 140 pages filled with teen angst and terror!

When we meet the three main characters, the tension is already very high!

The three teens are stuck in a very warm basement with someone on the other side of the door who just keeps scratching at the door…

One character is complaining about pain, the second character is absolutely terrified, and the third is having an internal struggle with the entire situation as well as some
Hannah May Book Reviews
Synopsis:

It is day one of the end of the world. It starts with three teenagers being trapped in a hot and stuffy basement, whilst the lady who used to own the house is dead, outside their door and trying to get in, scraping and moaning and showing no sign of relent. Just a few hours ago they were listening to music, in Thomas’ car with no care in the world other than feeling hot and sweaty. As they delivered their last paper to the old lady’s house, they didn’t know their lives would
Energy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas, Dan, and Jennie are out for her paper route when things go awry. At an older woman's house, Jennie must bring the paper inside, though she has Dan do it for her. When Dan's screams send them racing inside, they realize the woman isn't normal, in fact, she looks quite like a zombie and if they aren't careful, her scratch could infect all three of them. Hiding in the basement with no means of escape, the hours dwindle away as they desperately try to come up with a plan.

I always love readi
Corrie aka Fae's Finds
Nick Clausen reached out to me, as I have reviewed two of his previous works, and asked if I would like to review the first story in his new series, Dead Meat: Day 1. A YA horror about zombies. Of course I said yes! This review I solely my own thoughts.

Overall rating; 4.5 ⭐

This was really, very entertaining! The story of three teens; Thomas, his girlfriend Jennie, and her brother Dan, and their ultimate fight of survival in the house of terror ... and the undead.

It's fast-paced, mak
Anie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how zombie-apocalypse starts. Dean Meat is one of the scariest stories I've ever read (I don't read much scarry stuff :)) and I made a mistake of reading it before bed. :)

Three teenagers: a girl, her boyfriend, and her brother are delivering the paper to the secluded house. They find a crazy lady, who starts to attack them. When escaping they end up locked in the basement, with no escape. It's hot, they are trapped, and the lady keeps on scratching at the door. One of them ge
Amanda Lee
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good and entertaining. It's fast paced and pulls you in right away. I was kept on the edge of my seat with my heart racing. One of my biggest issues with zombie stories is the believably, this was told in a way that made it feel real and possible.

I really liked the characters. There's some angst among these three teens who find themselves in this terrifying survival situation. I loved that we were thrown in at day one and that the characters weren't clueless. I can't wait for the ne
Amanda Lyons
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t love a good zombie story? Dead Meat is a short story about a group of friends out delivering newspapers that happen to get stuck in the basement of a woman who has mysteriously turned into a zombie. Will their plan to escape go according to plan? You’ll have to read and find out!

I really liked this book and while some parts were a little predictable, it was still a fun read. I can’t wait to see what book two has in store.
samba
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Usually, I'd say zombie stories aren't my thing, but of course Nick Clausen would change that.

This was so fast paced and so atmospheric that I didn't even notice time going by while reading it. This author has a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat and always wanting to find out what happens next. I will never not recommend his books.

Can't wait to read Day 2!
Kathleen
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am addicted to everything zombies. Movies, tv shows and books. This book gripped me from the very beginning! I couldn't stop reading. It's a tale of the first day of the zombie apocalypse! It's a fresh new insight on how it all began. The ending was a great cliffhanger leaving the reader eagerly awaiting the next book!
Aubree Albro
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will admit I am a huge supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy fan, so I came into Dead Meat a bit biased, but this book was easily one of the best stories I've read this year. This is one of those stories that draws you in from the very first page, falling in love with the characters, unable to put it down until the very end. Truly cant wait for the rest of this series!
Pat Eroh
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this zombie apocalypse because it was just a twist different. So the zombies ate people and they could turn you into one of them just like most zombie stories. This group actually can save the world. Or can they? Great story and awesome book.

Nicole Brown
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I am so in love with Nick and this book. OMG fantastic. Horror done absolutely brilliantly and the most creative book that I have read in a long time. This book is just pure genius. I look forward to more
Ambre
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually one for apocalyptic zombie books, but this was a really interesting take on the origin story! I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens in the second one! I read this one through in one go as well.
Lixa Santiago
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😳😳Another amazing read from Nick Clausen! This book was amazing and supper addictive. Nick's books always make my heart beat fast, always scares the hell out of me but in the best way possible! I give this book 5 out of 5 bookstacks 📚 📚📚 📚📚
Rebecca Ramirez
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zombie novels have been done in so many ways, it seems impossible for ANYBODY to come up with a new idea, until now. Clausen snatches the readers attention and transports you into a house of horrors. If Thomas had asked me to follow him into a horde of zombies, I would’ve done so blindly
Serenity
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dearly love this author's writing! I've read a couple books by him now, and they have all been great. A definite recommend!!

• Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 3: Good Girl
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 2: Fluff My Life
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 4: Sadly Never After
  • Color Wheel Art:  Halloween Art Projects (Color Wheel Art, #2)
  • The Curse of the Black Cat
  • The Vampire Knitting Club (Vampire Knitting Club #1)
  • All My Friends are Superheroes
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After
  • Bones and Drones: (Bones & Drones Series Book 1: A Pine Grove Mystery)
  • A Danger to Herself and Others
  • Permanent Record
  • The Art of Moving On
  • The Ugly Duckling (The Ugly Duckling, #1)
  • Separating You: A Self-Help Book for the Lost, Lonely, and Psychotically Obsessed
  • My Life as Marlee
  • Closed for the Season
Born 1988 in North Jutland, where I still live with my wife, who also happened to be my earliest childhood girlfriend. From 2017 I have lived as a full-time writer. Up until then, I had different jobs beside the writing. I have been studying as a carpenter for three years, and have also read two years of psychology at Aalborg University. It turned out that the writing had a much more powerful pull ...more