Start by marking “Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)” as Want to Read:
Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)

(Fletch #7)

Carioca Fletch

Fletch’s trip to Brazil wasn’t exactly planned. But it’s Carnival time in Rio and he has plenty of money, thanks to a little arrangement made stateside. And it took him no time to hook up with the luscious Laura Soares. Fletch is beginning to relax, just a little.

Carioca Fletch

But between the American widow who seems to be following Fletch and the Brazilian w
Published October 8th 2002 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published October 8th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Carioca Fletch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carioca Fletch

Start your review of Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
Jack Heath
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars. More of a "Fletch Does Rio" vacation adventure than a murder mystery. In many ways a travelogue with comedic overtones! It would have been enjoyable to see Chevy Chase turn this into a movie! That sometime journalist Irwin Fletcher has fled to Brazil and met the beautiful concert pianist Laura. As they sit at a patio across the road from Copacabana Beach, an old woman screams that Fletch is her husband - even though, as we learn, her Janio was murdered more than 40 years ago! She thinks ...more
Hans
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel is a bit of an enigma. It's clearly a Fletch novel because Fletch is the main character and because it covers an important event in his character's history--what happens weeks after the closing events in the first Fletch novel (Fletch).

This also isn't a Fletch novel. Fletch novels feature Fletch playing the role of an investigative journalist in some form. This is Fletch in the liminal state. He still is Fletch, but he's running from being Fletch…and he clearly isn't working. (He doe
Hobart
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Just in case people were thinking I'd drunk too heavily in the Fletch/Gregory Mcdonald Kool-Aid bowl, this should alleviate any concern. I just don't like this book.

Following the events of Fletch, our now-jobless journalist is enjoying life in Brazil, he's got a girlfriend, is making some investments and friends and is about to enjoy Carnaval. Quite by accident, he runs into the newly-widowed Joan Allen Stanwyk, and things get a little awk
Dave
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Carioca Fletch takes Fletch and deposits him in Rio in the middle of Carnival week. Part travelogue, part mystery, part comedy, the story has Fletch accused of murder and followed halfway around the world by a bereaved widow, sealed in a coffin, possessed by the spirit of a man who died forty years ago, burying bodies at sea, beaten to an inch of his life, confused, dismayed, a stranger in a strange land.

This isn't a plot-driven story as much as it's a series of glimpses of a few days in Rio an
Jon
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
As a fan of the wisecracking journalist, Irwin Fletcher, portrayed by Chevy Chase in two films from the 1980s, I really went into this book expecting a goofy story. What I found was a much more serious, yet entertaining, mystery novel. Set in Rio during Carnival, the story follows Fletch as he is unwittingly enmeshed in a forty-seven year old (as in, it happened that long ago) murder mystery. Taking him from the wealthy hotels of the elite to the slums of Rio, Fletch's adventure is highly entert ...more
Chris Aldrich
Following a few months after the original book Fletch, Carioca Fletch begins with a jolt of plot as an old woman from one of the favelas of Rio de Janeiro identifies Fletch as the reincarnation of her long dead husband and wants to know who murdered him 47 years ago. Everyone apparently believes her wholeheartedly and there's nothing Fletch can do but go along with what might be an elaborate joke. Nearly simultaneously Fletch runs across a widow who he says will think he killed her husband! And ...more
Steve
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Fletch book wasn't as funny, amusing, or as witty as I've come to expect. It felt like it was ghostwritten.

They can't all be home runs. Still worth reading/listening to.
Ian
Jun 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
In theory 'Carioca Fletch' is the seventh published book in the Fletch series, although it follows almost directly on from the first, 'Fletch'. I say 'in theory' because whilst I'm not entirely sure what this is, it sure as heck isn't a Fletch book! Best guess I can make is a free-form, drug fuelled travelogue of Rio and surroundings during carnival, featuring some bloke who goes by the name of IM Fletcher.
Gone is the clever writing and electric dialogue, and in its place resides something some
Larry Peninger
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the first Fletch book I've read. It reads just like watching one of the fletch movies.
Probably one of the greatest openings in a book. Fletch finds himself in Rio at the start of Carnival. His meeting with the beautiful Laura Soures and plenty of cash. When a woman comes up Fletch tells his guest that she is probably there to accuse him of her husband death. All this in the first chapter. A Brazilian widow accuses Fletch of being her long dead husband who had been murdered. She says he
Helen
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After watching the Rio Olympics, I thought I'd give this a try even though it's about 30 years old in its picture of Rio. I didn't realize until I got into it that the plot takes place immediately after the Alan Stanwyck affair. That's kind of the periphery, though. The main plot is a bizarre and often confusing romp through Carnival with Fletch and a group of wild and wealthy young men as they (sort of) help him solve a murder from the past that supposedly happened to a Brazilian inhabiting his ...more
Barbara Lock
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the Fletch series; very diverting and good plotting. The female characters are frequently sexual foils for the main character, which can get old, but in general I like the books quite a bit. What is special about the Fletch books is the plotting, which frequently involves at least two mysteries, if not more. In this case, there was the mystery of the missing North American woman in Brazil during carnival, the mystery of Fletch's doppleganger, who was murdered 45 years prior to the time of ...more
Harry Collier IV
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was decent book but it was not a good book. Sequels rarely live up to the original and Carioca Fletch did not disappoint in that regard.
Again. it wasn't a bad book and I enjoyed seeing Fletch in Brazil living it up. It had multiple mysteries happening at the same time and yet I never became confused or forgot what was happening.
My problems come towards the end of the book where we are given two chapters of pure exposition on Carnivale with little to no actions. McDonald rewards us for our p
Brenna Sydel
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Am I crazy because I just read this to complete the series? Is it nuts that I just wanted to finish the damn thing and therefore sort of 'hate' read it?

It was tolerable, although again this felt like a hurried and rushed ending. None of the characters were all that compelling and I just found myself reading for the sake of finishing it. I kept waiting for something to grab me but, alas, this did not occur.

Is it god awful and horrid? Nah, not really.

Will it stick with you forever and ever? Not a
Alex Teixeira
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was still in high school when I read the first Fletch book. It was 1982. The first Fletch novel was released in 1974.

I used to read a lot of mysteries back then and one day stumbled upon Fletch, I was hooked, that's all the mystery I wanted to read during that time (peppered in with some fantasy, science fiction and literary books, too).

I read all the Fletch books up to the last one, "Fletch Too", in 1986. This one was particularly fun for me, because I was born in Rio and have been back man
JDK1962
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
An extremely long short book.

I had always been curious about what happened to Fletch after he arrived in Rio. Especially since I first read Fletch when I was a teenager growing up in Sao Paulo (yeah, I'm a paulista, not a carioca). Now I'm no longer curious, and this was a letdown.

It reads like something a famous novelist would write after visiting Rio at Carnival. Some of the small details ring true, but my god, does this man over-romanticize Rio and Brazilians. Ultimately, the mysteries and ch
Niki
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This was not my favorite Fletch book but I still enjoyed it. I recently returned from Brazil where I attended the 2016 Summer Olympic games so I especially liked reading about a place I just visited. Slight spoiler coming................................................................I didn't particularly care for the supernatural aspect of this book. The storyline with Janio Barreto was a bit far fetched for my taste. But as usual, the author does a very good job of writing the story and joinin ...more
J
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This read less like a mystery than like a love letter to Brazil. What it sounds like is that McDonald took a trip to Brazil, fell in love, wanted to tell everyone how much he loved Brazil, so he wrote a mystery and decided to set it in Brazil so he could do just that. Long passages about culture and dancing aren't terribly interesting if you're not fascinated by Brazil and its music and culture and don't do much to advance the plot. The biggest problem ultimately is that the book wants to do two ...more
f
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very atmospheric and unusual entry to the Fletch novels, and takes place a few months after the exploits of the original novel; Fletch has moved down to Brazil and is embroiled in mystery after an old woman claims him to the doppelganger of her husband, murdered 47 years previously.

Taking place during the hyperreal Carnivale, Carioca Fletch enters surreal territory, dragging its reader in with it.
Revfry
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
It was okay. Not the best in the series. It's funny that he wrote/released them out of order for the chronology in the book. This falls right after Fletch (The book the movie is based on). But it doesn't hinder the story at all.

It feels like a number of events in the novel don't really have much to do with the "case". Just things that happen on the way to the end of the book. But it won't kill you to stick with it.
Andy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Fletch mystery. Many people complain that there is too much Brazil and not enough Fletch, and compared to other Fletch books, that is true. However, the book is so well written that I really don't mind Fletch taking a back seat to Brazil. If you like Mcdonald's writing style, you'll like Carioca Fletch. Don't believe all of the negative reviews on amazon.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
OK - but not great. Fletch is in Brazil and has no job but does have a girlfriend. He gets embroiled in solving a murder 47 years in the past when he is mistaken for the dead man by his widow. Hijinx galore around Carnival with Fletch getting no sleep for 3 days and nearly killed by his former murderer. Enjoyable, but not fantastic.
Mark Chapin
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read, as all Fletch titles are. A little confusing at first if you don't know that chronologically, this story occurs right after the first Fletch book (which I didn't), but I guess it doesn't really matter. McDonald paints a vivid picture of Rio at Carnivale, and as always the secondary characters are well written.
Steve Wald
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the more entertaining and memorable Fletch novels in my opinion, this one takes the lead character to Brazil, where he befriends and parties with locals, adapts to society, and tries to figure out why so many people are mistaking him for a late village hero.
J.
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the Fletch books for (a) the effortless writing, and (b) the oddball mysteries. This one is as easy a read as the others, but the mysteries are pretty simplistic. McDonald was way more interested in capturing the spirit of Brazil than writing a mystery. So this is what you get.
Jamie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I am re-reading this series in chronological order. This is probably my least favorite in the entire series. However, it is pivotal in tying together the early storylines and some of the latter. Still some very good writing by McDonald.
Michael Prelee
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
McDonald's writing here follows his pattern of making you think things aren't important until they become important. It was nice to see this pick up the story of Fletch in Brazil after the debut novel. I really enjoyed it.
Shane Phillips
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reading books older than 2000 on my to-read shelves. It’s interesting to see how they handle race, gender and other social behaviors. Fletch is actually more progressive than others. This was the worst of the series so far. It just seemed less organized and interesting then the previous.
Kevin
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
A distraction sometimes interrupted by plot. If the next one isn't better I suspect I will quit on this series.
Josh Newhouse
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: august2014
I love Fletch in the USA a lot more than other countries... still some great moments and I love Joan's parts but as I reread the series still the least Fletch-like...
Sebastian Owl
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a slow burn at the beginning. it almost lost me, but The build up is constant. the end is masterful.

• Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • Zombie Spaceship Wasteland
  • The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts
  • The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Toy Collector
  • The Spoils: A Play
  • Spent
  • The Sun Dog
  • Silver Screen Fiend: Learning About Life from an Addiction to Film
  • The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports
  • Insane City
  • The God Game
  • I'm Losing You
  • Nature Girl
  • The Boy from the Woods

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (Fletch, #4)
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11)

News & Interviews