Start by marking “Fletch (Fletch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fletch (Fletch, #1)

(Fletch #1)

Fletch

He’s an investigative reporter whose methods are a little unorthodox. Currently he’s living on the beach with the strung-out trying to find to the source of the drugs they live for.

Fletch

Published March 12th 2002 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published March 12th 1974)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Fletch, Gregory McDonald
Fletch is a 1974 mystery novel by Gregory Mcdonald, the first in a series featuring the character Irwin Maurice Fletcher. A millionaire businessman named Alan Stanwyk approaches Fletch to hire Fletch to murder him; the man tells Fletch that he is dying of bone cancer and wants to avoid a slow, painful death. . . .
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز چهارم ماه نوامبر سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: قاتل در جستجوی سپر بلائی مناسب ؛ نویسنده: گریگوری مک دونالد؛ مترجم: سهیل بیضائی؛ تهران، رودکی، 137
Dan Schwent
When posing as a drug addict on the beach to find out the source of the beach's main dealer, Fletch is hired by a rich man dying of cancer to kill him. But does Alan Stanwyk really have cancer? That's what Fletch wants to find out...

I've watched both Fletch movies but not for a couple decades at least. When this popped up on one of my cheap-o ebook emails, I snapped it up.

Fletch the book is a pretty good dialogue-driven mystery. Fletch the character is a smooth talker, a man not afraid to tell b
Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 5: The Underhill Account

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

I don’t know what it is in the DNA of American males that makes so many of us quote movies incessantly. There are certain friends of mine th
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این داستانِ جنایی و معمایی، از 39 فصل و 248 صفحه تشکیل شده است
داستان از این قرار است که مردی به نامِ <فلچ> یا همان <فله چر> که نویسندهٔ هنری و محققِ آثار و نقاشی ها و تابلوهایِ هنری میباشد و در شهرِ رُم ایتالیا زندگی میکند، طی یک مبادله و معاوضه منزلش را با شخصی به نامِ <کانرز> در شهرِ بوستونِ آمریکا عوض میکند، بدونِ آنکه یکدیگر را دیده باشند و یا بشناسند
خلاصه آنکه <فلچ> با پرواز، خود را به بوستون رسانده و پس از وارد شدن به خانه، تصمیم میگیرد برایِ خوردنِ
Cathy DuPont
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Friends:

I read 141 books last year, however, regretfully, I did not meet my challenge. Thus far this year, I've read nine books including this book, Fletch, published in 1974.

Out of all those books, this might be the most entertaining of them all.

It had the elements I enjoy so much in reading books: a mystery; great character development; a very likable protag who has a multitude of personal issues particularly two ex-wives who he owes alimony; a respected investigative journalist who is
Ben Loory
Strange book. I don't think it's worn well. It's tightly plotted, the dialogue's fun, and it moves right along, but it's one of those books where the main character is just untouchable, you know he can never be beaten, ever, at anything, in any way, he's always right, always, about everything, always, and along the way he's going to put everyone else in their place, especially the women, the pesky women. And he does!
Genine Franklin-Clark
The lone man in my book club likes only very dry factual (NO speculation) history ... or so I thought. It turns out that he likes mysteries, so I asked him to recommend a few, hoping we could find some common ground. (I really like him, and his partner, Sylvia.) This was the first book he recommended. I did enjoy it; it was light, amusing. I'm surprised, as it wasn't at all what I expected him to like. I love finding layers of people that are surprising.
Daniel
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
"Fletch" is a quick read and completely satisfying as a mystery. Gregory Mcdonald skillfully juggles the novel's multiple plots and threads the two main ones together at the end without straining credulity. Even 35 years after its publication, "Fletch" still feels original: its main character is a newspaper reporter rather than the typical cop or private investigator, and the book never loses its sense of fun, a quality so often lacking in detective novels. Mcdonald's writing style is suitably t ...more
Michael
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2009
I recently caught the classic Chevy Chase movie version of "Fletch" on cable, which served to remind me that I'd never actually read the original source material.

So, I rushed off to my local library and checked out "Fletch."

The novel itself is pretty much the same basic plot as the film, though there are some differences.

The big difference is how dialogue driven the novel is. Gregory Macdonald tells the story with minimal descriptive paragraphs and instead allows the reader to discover things
Hobart
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
What an outstanding read. Funny, satirical, with a lot of heart, crackling dialogue...oh yeah, and a pretty solid mystery.

It has none of the goofiness, and better plotting than the Chase flick (which I really do enjoy as its own entity)

The first--and possibly best--of a great series. Worth reading again and again.
Dave
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Fletch, Gregory McDonald follows a basic setup of many pulp detective novels. There's a well-heeled client who wants to hire detective, but the job is odd. It's suspicious and little by little the detective it's together what's going on. Only here instead of a detective, McDonald gives us an irreverent hotshot reporter living like a hippie bum on the Beach with the runaways and drug addicts trying to put together a story working undercover. And the client thinks Fletch is a drifter like the o ...more
Stewart Sternberg
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun read. Fletch, the morally challenged journalist who may have a personality disorder investigates Alan Stanwyck, who has hired him to murder...Alan Stanwyck.

Fast paced. Great dialog. Ingenious plotting and execution.
Hobart
I re-read the paperback of this a few years ago (with intentions of reading the whole series again, which never went anywhere), before this blog started -- for some reason (probably brevity), I didn't repost what I put on Goodreads here. Until now.

The first--and p
Amber
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
D.L.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is an unexpected quantity of heart and soul in Fletch that defies the indifferent portrayal of the character on screen.
Asghar Abbas
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Unscrupulous hero, very funny. Really really loved this book.

Someone needs to remake its movie now. Right now.
Stephanie Crawford
This book was perfection, I loved every single page of it.
Janet Aileen
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is rated one of the top 100 mysteries of all time by the Crime Writers of America. I can see why. It is clean, concise, clever, and funny. A gem of a book.
C-shaw
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Terrific, funny story.

"Stanwyk, Stanwyk, Stanwyk. . . more of the same. I see why his father-in-law married him. There are no flies on Stanwyk."

"The telephone rang. Fletch said into it, 'So glad you called.'" [Ha ha - I'm tempted to answer my phone this way!]

"There is always a Society. As long as the instinct for power beats in the breasts of men and women, there will be a restricted clawing called Society."

"I spent a summer on a ranch when I was a kid. Hot, dusty, dirty. Boring. Incredibly bori
Joyce
I was looking forward to revisiting Fletch--this time on audio read by Dan Jon Miller--as I had enjoyed it and the movie with Chevy Chase back in the 70s. Perhaps I should have left it at that--or perhaps I simply wasn't in the mood for this trip back in time. I found the character to be not nearly as appealing as I remembered, or perhaps I shouldn't take offense at a man who seems now to me to be an amoral, sexist, womanizer. Certainly a reflection of his times. It's a decent mystery and Macdon ...more
Col
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, m
Synopsis/blurb......

Fletch
He’s taking more than a little flack from his editor. She doesn’t appreciate his style. Or the expense account items he’s racking up. Or his definition of the word deadline. Or the divorce lawyers who keep showing up at the office.

So when multimillionaire Alan Stanwyk offers Flet
Lee
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Remember these books were better than the movies.
Johnny
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Recommended for: Pulp Fiction lovers (not the movie); fans of clever and irreverent main characters; people not offended by old-fashioned patriarchal attitudes.

All I knew with regards to this book before reading was the movie that was based on it. While reading, my respect for Chevy Chase's charm and comedic talents was refreshed. The book is very different from the movie.

In the film, Fletch is essentially the same character-- he's womanizing, reckless, and clever. But in the book the classic ma
Don
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read the second time around. I had seen the movie as a barely-a-teen, then found out it was a book first. After that, I read the entire series as well as a couple of the "Flynn" books by the same author.
The movie, of course, is way different. The smart-ass attitude is the same and Chevy Chase pulls it off perfectly. The action in the story moves well, the story telling is narrative voice and McDonald does an excellent job of giving the reader all the facts up front to follow al
Dipanjan
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: facebook-reviews
"Fletch" introduces Fletch, an investigative reporter who happens to be the types I can relate to. Intelligent, cocky, obnoxious, witty and always a step ahead. The setup is pretty odd when an industrialist hires Fletch to murder him while Fletch was undercover on the beach to bust a drug racket. His attitude oozes out from the very first page. Mr. McDonald surely knows how to punch in a biting and sarcastic humour with a very real and genuine mystery. The book is all about the "dialogue". There ...more
Michael Duff
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I was 16, Fletch was everything I wanted to be.

He could go anywhere, do anything, and talk his way out of anything.

Gregory McDonald taught me how beautiful dialog could be, and I'll never forgive the Chevy Chase movies for cheapening my memories of that beautiful back and forth.

To see one of the smartest, most complex characters in fiction reduced to the status of a clown broke my heart. I can only hope that the movie brought some people to the book.
Michael Prelee
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, fun read that uses snappy dialog effectively. The plot is deceptively simple and reading it forty years on, it's a great look back to the early 1970's. Some of McDonald's dialogue would probably get a red lining by today's editors. Oh, and for fans of the movie, book Fletch is a smart ass but he's also kind of a jerk. There are several instances where he comes across as mean, such as when he throws his ex-wife's cat out a window or calls his editor a bitch.
Ed
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
You've got to like Fletch, the edgy, hard-boiled news reporter. This story uses lots of twists but our man Fletch is on top of them all. Clipped dialogue has flashes of humor. Great entertainment. The author Gregory Mcdonald who won back-to-back Edgars recently passed away. Bottom line: I'll read deeper into the series.
Marc Wisner
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the rare instance where the movie is better than the book
Nick
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery novel. Fletch is an awesome protagonist. Really, really funny too!
Fletch - best reading order 7 134 Jan 20, 2015 11:52AM

• The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • The  Official Fahrenheit 9/11 Reader
  • Lisa & David/Jordi
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Extravagance
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Molière: A Biography
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • The Holy Barbarians

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (Fletch, #4)
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)
“I must follow the journalistic instinct of being skeptical of everything until I personally have proved it true.” 0 likes