Start by marking “The State of Us” as Want to Read:
The State of Us

The State of Us

When Dean Arnault’s mother decided to run for president, it wasn’t a surprise to anyone, least of all her son. But still that doesn’t mean Dean wants to be part of the public spectacle that is the race for the White House—at least not until he meets Dre.

The only problem is that Dre Rosario's on the opposition; he’s the son of the Democratic nominee. But as Dean and Dre’s
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The State of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The State of Us

Start your review of The State of Us
✨    jamieson   ✨
Shelves: anticipated-2020
"the son of the democrat and republican candidates fall in love"

its giving me red, white & royal blue vibes and I'm HERE for it
Kai
Shelves: to-buy, queer
Red, White and Royal Blue but make it YA!
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Oct 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
yessir I will take anything that looks remotely like Red, White & Royal Blue in any shape or form
interested but wary bc of the republican son. really really hoping he's a secret democrat
Natasha
crossing my fingers the republican son is a closet leftist
Dylan
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
only rating this so i can be the first rating because im petty but lets be honest, it's gonna be five stars from me.
elisaaa
Mar 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
HI UM SHAWN OUT HERE LITERALLY ONE BOOK A YEAR !!!! IM SO EXCITED MAN HE NEVER DISAPPOINTS AHHH IM READY TO HAVE MY LIFE RUINES AGAIN

EDIT: SO WE HAVE A PLOT AND I KNOW IT SOUNDS SIMILAR TO RW&RB B U T I BET ITS GONNA BE NOTHING LIKE IT BC DOES ANYONE REMEMBER SHAUN’S TENDENCY TO INCLUDE SCI FI IN HIS BOOKS ??? THAT THIS WILL PROBABLY NOT BE A FUN ROMCOM AND RATHER SOMETHING THAT MAKES US QUESTION OUR REALITY ITSELF?? BC I REMEMBERED AND IM SCARED
Zoeraye
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
no one:
me this year: if it’s not about the children of ROYALS or AMERICAN POLITICIANS, i DON’T WANT TO READ IT
Ben Ace
WHEN WAS THIS ANNOUNCED AND WHY'D NO ONE TELL ME??? I NEED THIS NOW
Bridget
Oct 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Haven’t even read RW&RB but this sounds too interesting to pass up.

Also, speaking as someone who detests both the Democratic and Republican parties, I’m really hoping this isn’t a “praise one party and demonize the other” situation. If that’s the case, it’s an instant one star from me.
Iris
Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
I have never read a Shaun David Hutchinson book, nor ever felt particularly inclined to, but this book changes things because HELLO this premise is everything
Ivy
Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-20
This sounds similar to Red, White, and Royal Blue but I trust Shaun David Hutchinson implicitly, so it's bound to be increasingly better.
anya
Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-in-2020
Holy crap is this real I need this
OMG IT’S GOT A COVER
- ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́-
can i have this right now please
Cas
oh my god? oh my god? oh ? my? hello?

i know that this is inevitably going to be compared to red, white & royal blue and look. trust me. i love that book like i should love the bible according to some (but the way to hell is never paved with good intentions and i’m extremely gay, i got nothing else), but i also love shaun david hutchinson’s books with the same kind of passion so i’m not inclined to draw comparisons! just give me the damn book!
kelly ♥
Shelves: anticipated-2020
it is over for everybody else.. this is THE book of 2020
Beth
Dec 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-release
12/14 ~
Please let the son of the republican secretly be a democrat
Mari
Jun 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Excuse me? This sounds amazing.

But it’s Shaun David Hutchinson, so I would read it anyway.
noah
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
aw this was cute.

everyone making rw&rb references and well... they're not wrong.. only this had 100% less royalty and was at least 50% more political.

honestly it's the politics that got me down about this book. there's so much debating, not just between the presidential candidates, but between dean and dre too. they argued about their political beliefs so much! it was a political overload.. and no offense america, but your politics are one of the most stressful to read about.

ive read like 7
rachel ☾

Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
post-read review

Love wins and so does this book.

I want to dive right back in and relive Dean and Dre's story all over again. It was just that perfect.

This is now my second favorite Hutchinson novel (because We Are the Ants will always be my first love).

I cannot wait for it to come out this summer so I can write a nice, long rambling review packed with my deep love for every part, every page, every word of this book.

pre-read review

Here comes Shaun David Hutchinson about to actually improve my
Danielle Chambers
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, arc, ebooks
So thrilled about the Demisexual rep! Great book. If you liked Red White and Royal Blue you’ll love this!
Chad
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I didn't like about this book was that it ended! Dre and Dean are such great characters. Shaun intricately weaves a story of two teenage boys who find each other in the most unlikely of circumstances with unparalleled social/political commentary that will challenge how you think. His nuanced take on even the most unlikable people will give you a better understanding of those you may passionately disagree with. The demi/ace representation is also not to be missed.

I rarely feel like
rach
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
hoping that we get some good accepting right wing characters, yous have been painting republicans with a bad brush for far too long
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Sounds like Red, White and Royal Blue. Could be amazing, could be a disaster.
Fanna
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
The author is one of my favourites. And this is giving me Red White & Royal Blue vibes which makes it almost an inevitably anticipated read.
Little
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5

i wish i had love this story more but i couldn't stop thinking about red, white and royal blue while reading it
Līga Sproģe
28/10/2019

this sounds like a cousin to Red, White & Royal Blue and i'm IN
Sofia
Nov 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
After the excitement of Red, White and Royal Blue, I expect people to give Shaun the same support that Casey received.
Anna
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a DRC (ARC) from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Dre Rosario didn’t expect for his father to make it this far in the presidential race. But here it is, just months before the presidential election, and his father is the Democratic nominee, the first Mexican-American candidate.

Dean Arnault did expect for his mom to make it this far. She’s the first female presidential candidate for the Republican party.

Dre is openly gay and runs a rather successful website called

• Like a Love Story
  • Slay
  • This Tender Land
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Love and Other Words
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • Hey, Kiddo
  • Funny memes and pictures: Include SpongeBob memes, Pokemon memes, Minecraft memes and Cat memr
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Geography of You and Me
  • The Year They Fell
Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.