Start by marking “The Boys Are Back in Town” as Want to Read:
The Boys Are Back in Town

The Boys Are Back in Town

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
From a master of horror, dark fantasy, and suspense comes a compelling and uniquely original work of paranormal suspense in which one man finds himself trapped in a web of ever-shifting reality which threatens to remake the whole of the world—unless he can find a way to stop it.

For Will James, facing his tenth high school reunion is far from his finest hour—especially sinc
Published February 3rd 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Boys Are Back in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys Are Back in Town

Matt Garcia
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that I have read from Christopher Golden. After having completed it, I have to say that I utterly enjoyed it. Golden manages to craft a wonderfully told coming of age story that we can all relate to on some level. He paints a realistic and sometimes bleak picture of childhood friendships and of maturation from adolescence. The characters were convincing and empathetic. I found myself chuckling out loud at some of the dialogue and this added to my enjoyment of the novel. G ...more
Alex Telander
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Boys Are Back in Town by Christopher Golden: Christopher Golden has established himself as a talented writer within the horror genre. In The Boys Are Back in Town, he tells an incredible story, one that reminds readers there are still great books being written that will suck you in from the first page, and make you want to shut off from your life and commitments until you get to that last page.

Will James is in his late twenties and while he hasn't necessarily managed to follow his dreams, he
Bob Langdon
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Imagine that everything you know is wrong -- or at least, it will be tomorrow.

Imagine that everyone you know tells you that your good friend -- the one you just talked to last week -- died over ten years ago. And now that they mention it... yes, they're right. Now you remember going to his funeral in high school. What's wrong with you?

Imagine that things like this keep happening. Your best friend -- the one whose children you've babysat many times -- actually has no children. She's unable to con
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2009
My first Christopher Golden book, but definately not my last! Wow. This actually lived up to the claim of being "a wicked little thriller. Rod Serling would have loved it."

Basic premise is that Will James is going to his tenth high schoool reunion and is looking forward to seeing all his old high school friends; people he's kept in touch with off and on since graduation. Then things take a decidedly dark turn when Will learns that one of his old friends was killed during their senior year but Wi
Gori Suture
Apr 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Sheep
This is one of two books I literally threw across the room halfway into it. I can’t remember exactly why, but something about the way the author handled both time travel and occultism screamed that he understood neither.
Randy Eberle
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would have given this book 5 stars, but I felt the ending was somewhat contrived. There are several other ways, in my opinion, that the story could have ended that would have been much more satisfying. I really can't say more than that without ruining an otherwise enjoyable read for everyone.
Pat Cummings
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
“Like Rod Serling. Stephen Donaldson. L. Frank Baum crossed with Stephen King.” Reviewers have struggled to place Christopher Golden’s work into a specific niche of the horror genre, but previous books have defied such placement. The Boys Are Back in Town is no different.

Oh, Boys begins typically enough, B-movie script expectable. Will James is a world-weary tabloid reporter, collecting yet another story before he heads back to the home town for a tenth-year high-school reunion.

He’s made pl
Lauren Piechota
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Kim Taras
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I randomly found this book at the library. Never heard of the author but the spine caught my attention. Just my kind of book, I loved it!
Carl Buehler
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting page turner. Time travel, magic, supernatural mayhem. Stephen King fans, try this guy out
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This was one was a real winner from Christopher Golden. I like the time travel type feel to it. THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN reminded me of Stephen King's, SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK. A great read!
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Holy Harry Potter.

The books I read tend to gravitate toward fantasy and horror, so there's a fair bit of magic in most of my stories of choice. However, I don't know if I've ever read a book that dealt with magic like that in The Boys Are Back in Town.

The book offers a great blend of warm nostalgia and gritty suspense, with many twists and turns and a plot that keeps pounding right up until the last page.

In The Boys Are Back in Town, Boston tabloid writer, Will, is getting ready to head home fo
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A really, really good page turner. The thing I love about Christopher Golden books is that they are always well woven. This is an interesting presentation of "the road not taken" idea, where we deal with parallel realities and time travel. It was logical, which seems a strange thing to say about time travel, but it really did make sense. There was an appropriately hideous antagonist and ends with a sly wink, a la Stephen King. In that Golden and King are similar; they both acknowledge that there ...more
Susan Kelley
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror lovers
Recommended to Susan by: ReadNSwap
Will James has an OK life. He has a job that is OK, his love life is next to nil, but an old heartbreak still shadows him. His 10 year high school reunion is coming up, and Will decides to go at the last minute...and it's OK. At least until his memories start to change.

A good friend was killed their senior year...but Will just got an e-mail from him. So why is Will the only one who remembers him living into adulthood? Why does he have 2 sets of memories?

Soon other lives are altered - right befor
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book! I like the way Golden delivered the first 100 pages of the story. Made me think back to high school and how much things have changed since graduation. How much we miss those people we used to see every weekday and now only see ocassionally, if at all.

With that said, Golden has created some great characters here. Will and Ashleigh could be anyone we know from our childhood and the author has filled out the rest of his cast with truly believable people.

When the story t
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was completely blown away by this book. From the very beginning it messed with my mind and didn't give up till the very end. It was mysterious, creepy, engrossing, funny, and frustrating all the same time. I was constantly questioning the characters, their reality and everything in between, not to mention yelling at the book in anger, shock and frustration numerous times. And the ending! Of course it has an open ending that you know, if the story were to go on, would totally screw everyth ...more
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, this book. I wasn't expecting much when I started it, to be honest. The book started out with six pages, PAGES, of praise for the author, which is generally a fair tip off that they're sort of polishing a turd, and then the beginning just slogged like crazy. I very nearly gave it a 'meh' and took it back to the library within the first 40 pages, but I figured, eh, give it a go.

And then it got significantly better. Once the story started actually moving, it was really rather good and the last
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Page-turner, fun time travel thriller. Golden manages an unwieldy plot with grace, and I had a hard time putting it down once it got going.
Reminds me of Stephen King, even down to the limited vocabulary. When characters don't know what to do, they brush their hands through their hair. They knit their brows. The verb "spider-walk" shows up at least twice. Bottom line, writing is basic and repetitive, but the plot is tons of fun.
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: time travel enthusiasts
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel
Effective Horror story. Good villain. Interesting time travel mechanics in which future self gets new memories "on the fly" as he shares a time line with past self. As past self chases murderer they are able to coordinate their actions via these new memories. The writing is uninspired but not terrible. Did get "chills" as main character felt the effects of some malignant force changing the past.
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Teen-level supernatural mystery which covers an odd assortment of bases including time travel, murder, rape and the use of magic. I found the "twists" predictable and spent twice as much time convincing myself to pick the book back up than I did reading it. If I didn't *need* to finish things I start, I would never have finished this.
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
An ok read. This is a horror/ fantasy fiction about a young man who attend his high school reunion only to find out that history is rewriting itself and changing his memories. When he finds out is is because of magic that he dabbled in when he was in high school he must go back in time to defeat his nemesis an save those he cares about. Just ok.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Im not sure what to even say about this one...

I think I would have freaked out if I had to read the words ""knitted brow"" or ""knitted eyebrows"" one more time. He sure likes to use the same description words over and over, doesn't he?

It didn't HATE the book, but I don't think I will recommend this book to anyone.
Pedro Marroquín
Muy buen libro sobre que coño pueden hacer dos adolescentes que se encuentran un libro de magia. Pero de magia negra que funciona. Y los problemas que eso les crea, porque la magia tiene vida propia. Y quiere joder a todo el mundo. Y empieza a cambiar el pasado y también el futuro. Muy entretenido con una progresión muy lógica de las premisas iniciales. Recomendable
Shawn Manning
I found the tone to this a bit different from the authors other work. The cover makes comparisons to King, but I found it closer to Straub. Being somewhat older than the characters, it was interesting to see a different frame of cultural references. It did make me consider how different the book might have been if the characters were in their mid to late 40's. Overall, good stuff!
Erin Jones
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This is the first book that I have read of Christopher Golden's (although I loved the Buffy series) and I will definitely be reading more of his. I could have done with maybe one less twist at the end because it did become a little confusing but overall I really enjoyed it.
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very long, and complex plotline. I got lost in the main idea of the book. Also, be prepared for a lotof science fiction, and random rule making by the author to create a story. Not bad though if you like that kind of stuff.
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witch, time-travel
I registered a book at!

This was an entertaining thriller. I had some ideas on how it should end, but I was surprised. It was really very good.
Mrs. Palmer
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
This was a surprisingly engaging book about a 10 year high school reunion and a man's realization that all is not as it seems. There's magic, there's violence, and there are some tired gender stereotypes, but overall, I found it compelling and I read the story in a day.
Alyssa Udall
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this in high school. I remember only a few things: flying through the pages to get to the end, getting that song with the same name stuck in my head (from "A Knight's Tale" soundtrack?), and some graphic sexual situations... to put it in light terms.
Shannon Ewing
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: blessing-of-13, 2014
not what I was expecting... but once I got into it I was able to see *mostly* where it was going. I expected the hit and run to turn out exactly as it did. but the climax was a surprise. the epilogue was not. always a price to pay. the end was much happier than I expected.
  • Dark Destiny: Proprietors of Fate
  • The Wildman
  • Symphony
  • Black Magic
  • Willy
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • Isis (Harrow House, #0.25)
  • The Magician
  • Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire
  • Stephen King Goes to the Movies
  • A Whisper of Southern Lights (Assassin, #3)
  • The Dust of Wonderland
  • Black Evening
  • Dead Cells
  • The Price
  • The Hollower
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Salt Roads
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00