Start by marking “Niente canzoni d'amore” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Niente canzoni d'amore

Charles Bukowski

Niente canzoni d'amore

Scrivere è "uno dei modi più belli di passare la notte che sia mai stato inventato", specialmente se lo si completa con un paio di bicchieri di vino. Questa frase è contenuta in uno dei racconti di "Niente canzoni d'amore", dove lo scrittore fissa brandelli di tanti quadretti di una desolante vita americana. Le bevute colossali, la promiscuità sessuale, le provocazioni con ...more
Published July 26th 2018 by TEA (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Niente canzoni d'amore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Niente canzoni d'amore

Start your review of Niente canzoni d'amore
Ramblin'_Man
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many people complain about Bukowski. They think he is filled with "teenage angst" and was cool to read when in high school. But now, NOW these complainers of Buk have grown up and are respectable adults who wear the very same clothes they wore in high school, like the same music they liked in high school, have the same jobs they had in high school, do more drugs then they did in high school, drive shittier cars than they did in high school, express the same angst as in high school, and think Sta ...more
Sarah Booth
Thoughts on Bukowski as opposed to a specific review of this book in particular:
A lot of folk are compared with Bukowski especially if they wrote during the same time period but I think that it is more of a cultural standard to write plainly about what was happening around them or to them with cosseting it in easier to handle ways; Bukowski didn’t invent that, he just so beautifully laid himself bare dressed with very little justification. Most of us try to rationalize our (or other’s) poo
Mofoty
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, poetry
Bukoski is a trashy class act. Trashy because he writes about defecating. Classy cuz he’s honest. Act because he wrote a lot a bullshit for money. This collection, released near the end of his life, contains the usual: drinking, women, shitting, being a fucking bum. We expect this kind of material. However, in this collection, there are a lot of poems about writing (being discovered), old age, work, fame (being recognized), and horse-races. This is new stuff. While I don’t give a shit about hors ...more
Ju$tin
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories in this were mostly great.

But the poetry in this felt mostly like filler. Luckily there wasn't much of it, only two or three poems in between most of the stories.
Robin Friedman
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski's Seventieth Birthday And Mine

I celebrated my 70th birthday last week and began to think of an appropriate literary commemoration. I have been a reader of the underground writer Charles Bukowski (1920 -- 1994) for some time. Not my only writer nor my favorite, but someone I continue to read. I thought of his book "Septuagenarian Stew" (1990) which Bukowski wrote upon reaching seventy. He and I shared that milestone. I had read the book years ago but had mostly forgotten its
David Ward
Septuagenarian Stew: Stories & Poems by Charles Bukowski (Harper Collins 1990) (818) is, I suppose, a typical Bukowski collection of stream-of-consciousness poems and short stories. I am not crazy about Bukowski's poetry; I simply have no strong reaction to it. I generally prefer his novels; I thought Post Office was a hoot. There was one short story in Septuagenarian Stew that I thought was close to brilliant. It is entitled "No Wing High," and it definitively settles the issue of whether one has to take ...more
Charlotte
Every time I read Bukowski it's like a dose of sanity and zero-bullshit and some laughter about how he got so famous for being so simple. It's encouraging that one page I could be astounded by the clarity and honesty and outright beauty of a small poem, and then the next page be griping about "Oh cripes, Chinaski, couldn't you have put in something that wasn't about baseball, horse racing, getting drunk or that damn IBM typewriter?"
vi macdonald
Y'know, I've reached a conclusion about Charles Bukowski: he knew how to name a poetry collection in such a way that it seems like something that would be interesting and worth reading, but then he kinda screws up the actual content part and leaves the reader with a bunch of really crappy poems that completely fail to deliver on the intrigue established by the title.
Joseph Naus
oh you dirty old man, we love you!
Slawka
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My unchanged for so many years love for Bukowski slowly starts to worry me and makes me think that i really have bad taste when it comes to man. I guess love really is blind....
Shelley
this guys longevity is impressive, unfortunately his writing isn't
Jared Busch
Mar 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: alltimefavorites
This contains my favorite Bukowski poetry. His early poems bore me to tears, but I think he was onto something later in life. The stories are great too.
Dane Cobain
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of Charles Bukowski’s collected stories and poems, and I’m assuming from both the title and the contents of the collection that it brings together the work that he wrote in his seventies. Because of that, much of the work is ruminative, looking back on his earlier life and at the way that the world has changed since he was a youngster.

Most authors struggle to pull off collecting both poetry and prose together in a single volume because the inherent differenc
Vishal
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Septuagenarian Stew’ – as the name suggests – was written by Bukowski towards the latter stages of his life. For any aspiring writer this book acts as an encouraging touchstone, that one can still produce their best work even in their seventies.

The voice is clear, yet still vicious, creating a vivid portrait of his life experiences. Take this for example, from ‘The Life of a Bum’, describing his first meal in days:

‘The French fries were beautiful and glorious and yellow and hot, somethin/>‘The
Sonia Almeida Dias
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This was different than the last Bukowski book I've read (Love is a Dog From Hell), in the sense that it contained poetry, but also some short stories.
The stories follow different characters but they all show us some insight into human behaviour. We have the bum, the movie star, the factory worker, and they all share more than meets the eye.
I liked it, but maybe due to my lack of knowledge in sports like boxing or baseball, some stories had hidden meanings for me.
Kat
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece!! So tender, so raw, so unique!!
Tobias Zielinski
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Bukowski. It was nice.
Koen Kop
Some of the short stories pretty good - original in concept and style. Don't care for the poetry.
Charles
Well, you did it again Good Reads. remind me to never click outside of this box again in that gray area. I had a nice review of one of Bukowski's farewell books of prose and poetry and I lost it. Just remember this was full of stories about drinking and reflection on the human condition of mostly common people. Bukowski is always humble and not afraid to take a punch, as they say. Short stories centered around bums, bullying, horse racing and betting, baseball and arguing, whoring, drinking and ...more
Lyle Appleyard
I read this book for my Toastmasters Book Club that is meeting on Saturday. If it were not for this, I do not think I would have read this, or even known about this book.

I don't normally read poetry. Stort stories I will read. This book contains both. Though they sometimes don't resemble the conventional storis or poems. That's okay. To grow and atrack a larger audience, writing must change and evolve and challenge us.

Bukowski write about many different subject in his poe
Brent Legault
Mar 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gentle giants, mental midgets
A thin stew indeed. You know, I've been in a couple of bar fights because of my dislike of Bukowski. (Okay, they were more like bar screaming matches, followed by a swift eighty-sixing.) I used to worship him, too, but then I sobered up. . . so to speak. But I found that he has so many idiot sons (and a few cross-eyed daughters), that it's easy to find somebody who is willing to throw down to defend his good name. Which is too bad because there are so many important things to bloody ourselves over. . .
Brandon
One of Bukowski's lesser lights. Some of the stronger stories in this one are "Son of Satan," "The Life of a Bum," "Vengeance of the Damned," the strange "No Wing High," and "Mad Enough." Some of the poems I liked were "The Burning of the Dream," "Sometimes It's Easier To Kill Somebody Else" "The Strongest of the Strange," "My Father," and "It's Funny, Isn't it?" Overall, though, a mediocre Bukowski collection.
Adam
Jun 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
VERY interesting. This is a charming collection of poetry and a few stories, but it's definitely a bit... toothless for the Buk. Having recently seen "Born Into This" and knowing now about the Buddhist turn he took near the end of his life, this collection actually makes a lot of sense. This book is essentially a meditation on death and his acceptance of it - quiet, pretty and satisfying once you get past the lack of "beershit" contained within.
Giulia
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bukowski is the useless friend we all have; he always complains about everything and does nothing to improve himself. He wants an easy life and doesn't face what actually life is. In some ways I actually like him: he gives me so many reasons to not to think. And in some ways he makes me angry and sometimes he bores me. I don't think he expresses deep thoughts; once I believed so, then he came back to the same empty existence.
D'artagnan
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drinkers, partiers, writers, Californians
No one writes like the Barfly, and man oh man do I need writers like him. Good old Buk doesn't let us down in his "old age". Saw a picture of his little Southern California bungalow recently, frigging spooky, that guy warn't even human I don't think. His poems on disc, such as "70 Minutes In Hell", are the bomb too, although I'm not sure who else besides me enjoyed it when I blasted them at Burning Man, but I bet someone did, which makes me smile even now.
Kristyn
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flipping through the pages before I purchased this in the bookstore.. already knew it would be a quick read, but fun. Bukowski never fails to entertain.

This collection of short stories and poems falls nothing short of just that.

Everything from horse races, being a drunk, and how he first started as a writer.. I just found that I couldn't put this book down. Typical of a Bukowski book.

He's a complete jerk and a drunk bum, but hilarious and awesome all the same.
Ron
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Bukowski, so it's never bad. But it's his older years. He's married. He drives a Beamer. His poems lack the raw energy that I've come to identify with as a creative man. Instead, we're shown the easier days of retirement and dentist offices. I'd probably not recommend this one to new Bukowski readers. Read his earlier works. Start with Post Office, his phenomenal novel.
T.L. Gray
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really hard book to read, because Bukowski really deals with some of the most ugliest aspects of life. However, he does it brilliantly. This is a not a feel good book one goes to for inspiration, but definitely a great book to go and see a clear picture of loneliness, depression, and a hard life.
Lynn
Oct 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a blast from my past. I remember the first time I read Bukowski was when I was in 11th grade laying on the bedroom floor of my friend Emily's house reading Bukowski together....then picked this up again sometime in my first attempt at college. His dark realism.....I could relate to in those days of parties roaming in and out of my first apartment in South-Side Bethlehem, PA....
Julia
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one even better.
I didn't realize that i have started reading his works backwards and i wondered for a while why this one felt different, more...peaceful and steady maybe.The poems revolve mostly around the horse-track and his new life as a recognized and famous author.
I really enjoyed his short stories, even though most of them didn't end like anything at all.
« previous 1 3 next »
Can't remember the name of this Bukowski story 1 1 Jul 21, 2017 05:31PM

• The Savage God: A Study of Suicide
  • La perra
  • Là-Bas (Down There)
  • Underworld
  • Kaddish for an Unborn Child
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume One 1944-1953
  • La lengua de los secretos
  • Una palabra tuya
  • Només la mar ens parlarà d'amor
  • La Placa del Diamant de Merce Rodoreda
  • The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934
  • Canción de tumba
  • Lovestar
  • Date & Time
  • Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality (Science Masters)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Bestiario
  • Bleeding Edge
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands of poems, hundre ...more
“Early evening traffic was beginning to clog the avenue with cars. The sun slanted down behind him. Harry glanced at the drivers of the cars. They seemed unhappy. The world was unhappy. People were in the dark. People were terrified and disappointed. People were caught in traps. People were defensive and frantic. They felt as if their lives were being wasted. And they were right.” 10 likes
“We must bring our own light to the darkness. Nobody is going to do it for us.” 0 likes