Start by marking “The Paris Library” as Want to Read:

The Paris Library

Based on the true World War II story of the heroic librarians at the American Library in Paris, this is an unforgettable story of romance, friendship, family, and the power of literature to bring us together, perfect for fans of The Lilac Girls and The Paris Wife.

Paris, 1939: Young and ambitious Odile Souchet has it all: her handsome police officer beau and a dream job at
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Atria Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 02, 2020
    **ENTER TO WIN AN COPY OF THE MOST HIGHLY ANTICIPATED HISTORICAL FICTION NOVEL OF THE SUMMER!**

Based on the true World War II story of the heroic

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3101 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 06 - Jan 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Paris Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paris Library

Start your review of The Paris Library
    Tea Jovanović
    The reading completed, 4 blissful days of pure enjoyment... Good story, from start to finish, serious story lined with fine humour... My favourite city in the world, Paris, American Library, WWII, Jews, friendships, hardships, strong emotions, and many life situations that can't be watched as black or white... there is also a bit of grey... Only the true book lovers can understand passion for books and risks to save them... Two parallel stories, the one in Paris during WWII and another 40 years ...more
    Viktorija Rutkauskaitė
    Interesting story. Would highly recommend :)
    Meghan
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library
    This book was received as an ARC from Atria Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I so loved this book from beginning to end. The library was part of a resistance and books were used as weapons but books could also uncover some secrets that could make or break your well-being. That is the case for Odile as she joins the resistance fighting in World War II. Then 50 years later Lily finds the old scriptures Odile has kept
    Shari Suarez
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Some may groan "Not another WWII historical fiction book!" This one however is different from the others you may have read. It focuses on the American Library in Paris and how the staff stayed open and served their subscribers throughout most of the war. They also risked their lives to take books to their Jewish subscribers when they were no longer allowed to come to the library.
    Odile, the main character is a new librarian working in the American Library. She is trying to balance her work with
    Billie
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed it and think it will make a great book club recommendation, but it wasn't 100% my thing.

Four stars for the WWII-set portions, three stars for the 80s-set parts.
    Beskeslien
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I finished this book in a day and a half I loved the characters, the setting,I loved how this book made you want to know what would happen what had happened. If you want a wonderful read this is your book
    Grumpybookworm
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020

3.5
    Thoroughly enjoyed this new take on the tired WWII fiction genre, even if it was yet another with the exact same cover. If this wasn't about a library I wouldn't have picked it up.

I was 100% engaged in the story and gobbled up every spare hour I could to keep reading. I absolutely loved Odile and how imperfect she was. She was very relatable and felt like someone I would have sought out a friendship with, either in her younger age or her older age.

My criticism is that it felt a bit rushed at
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
    3 1/2 stars – It was a slow start for me, but I couldn’t put it down after a few chapters.

Shifting between 1939 Paris and 1984 Montana, the story tells the tale of Odile Souchet. Odile works in the American Library in Paris during the World War II German invasion of France. The novel follows her relationships with family, friends, and colleagues as she struggles to keep the library and the lives of those she loves.

Pros: Well-developed characters, descriptive writing
    Cons: Too many references to
    Rosemary
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Fresh out of library school, Odile Souchet finds employment at the American Library in Paris (https://americanlibraryinparis.org) in 1939. She and her colleagues weather the hardships caused by the German occupation of France during World War II. They keep the Library open, defying the Nazis in order to help subscribers, including “enemy aliens” and Jews forbidden to visit. The author worked at the Library in 2010 and based the novel on actual people and events there, which makes it all the more ...more
    Lynn
    Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    An immensely satisfying novel about the American Library in Paris in 1939, sprinkled with Dewey Decimal notations for the life events that Odile Souchet encounters.

Fast forward to 1983 Montana where Odile is living out her solitary years, when her next-door neighbor, Lily, seeks her out and, slowly, they become friends.

Absolutely enchanting.

I read this EARC courtesy of Edelweiss and Atria Books. pub date 06/02/20
    Kelso McNaught
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A fantastic WWII story in the same vein as Resistance Women et. al.
    Alyssa

• The Stranger Inside
    • Christmas Shopaholic
    • Wilder Girls
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
    • Know My Name: A Memoir
    • When We Were Vikings
    • I Owe You One
    • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
    Janet Skeslien Charles has lived in Paris since 1999. She enjoys reading, traveling, and spending time with her family in Montana and South Carolina. She is working on her second novel as well as a collection of essays about life in Paris.

The backdrop of her debut novel Moonlight in Odessa is the booming business of e-mail order brides, an industry where love and marriage meet sex and commerce.