Start by marking “Our Year of Maybe” as Want to Read:
Our Year of Maybe

Our Year of Maybe

“Emotionally resonant and deeply characterized.” —School Library Journal (starred review)

From the author of You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone comes a stunning contemporary novel, perfect for fans of Five Feet Apart, that examines the complicated aftermath of unrequited love between best friends.

Aspiring choreographer Sophie Orenstein would do anything for Peter Rosenthal-Porter, who’s been on the ki—School
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Simon Pulse (first published January 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Our Year of Maybe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Year of Maybe

Start your review of Our Year of Maybe
Rachel Solomon
Jun 02, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
1/15/19: Welcome to the world, OUR YEAR OF MAYBE!!

6/7/18: And we have a cover! Some facts about OUR YEAR OF MAYBE:
- It's dual POV.
- Sophie is Jewish.
- Peter is half Jewish and grappling with what that means when he feels more connected to Judaism than to anything else.
- Peter identifies as bisexual on-page from the beginning.
- This isn't a spoiler, but given there's a bit of a love triangle, I feel it's important to know: there is NO CHEATING in this book.
Heather
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Solomon has a way of writing beautifully, sad books. I adored this one!
Vicky Who Reads
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist

Luscious, poignant, and another stunner from Rachel Lynn Solomon, author of You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone. It’s safe to say that Our Year of Maybe was just as moving and well-written and finely crafted as Solomon’s debut, and I could not be more excited.

Sophie and Peter are such different and dynamic main characters–they change so much in this novel, but not in a rushed way. They’re dynamic and they learn and they find out new things and they grow and it’s really great story-wise seeing this, but it’
Kat
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
Oh man, what I love about both books I’ve read now by the amazing RLS is the way she creates these really complicated, sticky, uncomfortable, emotionally messy scenarios where there really aren’t any bad guys, but still you can end up with a LOT of hurt feelings. And ooohhh I could tell this was going to be so juicy from chapter one. Sophie and Peter are best friends. Peter has been chronically ill his entire life because of a kidney problem. Sophie has a thing for Peter which is sort of brewing ...more
Jasmine
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's looking for the purpose of life
***Actual rating: 4/5 Lovin’-So-Hard Stars***

And then I let go of him first, this boy who never belonged to me.
I
let
go
first.

Peter and Sophie have been best friends since childhood; growing up together, Peter’s feeling for Sophie is always nothing more than F.R.I.E.N.D.S. whereas Sophie starts having undeniable crush on him day by day. When Sophie realizes Peter never feels the same as she does, her secret crush morphs into a much more dangerous obsession, which has totally taken its toll o
Marta (thecursedbooks)
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Rachel Lynn Solomon is slowly becoming one of my all-time favorite authors, I’m waiting on her third book that sounds even more painful and full of angst than this one and You’ll Miss Me When I’m Gone to make it official. But so far, she is amazing. This book is about co-dependence in friendship, about unrequited love, the consequences of a transplant between friends (how does Rachel come with those bold ideas and execute them so well?? I will never understand). I liked everything about this boo ...more
Marie
You know what, I loved this so much.
The childhood friends trope, my heart, my feelings, how realistic everything felt, how three -dimensional these characters were, the sisters relationship, the families, MY FEELINGS.
My heart is very happy right now. I loved this. Really, really did.

Read my full review of Our Year of Maybe on the blog.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Dahlia
This was a really, really lovely exploration of codependent friendship and at what point it becomes toxic and whether there's a point at which it can be saved. I think my heart wanted to see more from the end but not in a "this book did it poorly" way; I just really liked the discussions they were opening and I wanted more. Probably not realistic IRL, but as someone who had a male best friend with whom she was very close in a way that made relationships tricky and okay also maybe she was in unre ...more
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Our Year of Maybe is an incredibly well done book about unrequited loved and friendship break-ups, something that I think is sorely missing in YA.

“He has a part of me, and I'm the one with a gaping hole that can't be fixed.”

This book has many layers to it. One of the core events of it is Sophie donating her kidney to her best friend Peter, who she is also in love with. They grew up together and are basically each other's only friends, but we realize throughout the book that their friendship is not/>
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

"Because I was in love with him— the kind of love that made my throat ache with all the things I couldn’t say."

This is probably going to be one of "those" reviews that just amounts to incoherent gushing, and I am not sorry. When I heard there was a new Rachel Lynn Solomon book coming out, I had no doubt I'd like it. I loved You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight

This is probably going to be one of "those" reviews that just amounts to incoherent gushing, and I am not sorry. When I heard there was a new Rachel Lynn Solomon book coming out, I had no doubt I'd like it. I loved  You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone , but more than that I could just kind of tell that the author had a certain... specialness to her writing.

"The only regrets I have when it comes to Peter are things I don’t do. Things I don’t say."

And right I was. This book was absolutely everything I had hoped and expected, but then somehow, it was even more. In YMMWIG, while I related to the characters quite deeply on a human level, I never went through many of the things they had gone through. This one... well, it was different. Because it spoke to me. Told me things I needed to hear. And honestly, it's pretty damn powerful when a book has that ability.

"It takes a lot of energy to love someone this much without being loved back the way you want. It drains you."

And sure, I will tell you about all its positives from a more objective angle! The characters are incredibly relatable, whether you have been through any of the junk they have or none at all. Just like YMMWIG, it has the uncanny ability to make you love and care for these characters. They are flawed, and messy, and at their cores just good, decent people trying to navigate the world. The world with all its unwanted feelings and harshness and ups and downs.

You need more? Sure! It has funny moments, charming moments, heartwarming moments, and yeah, heartbreaking moments. The stories-within-stories make the pages fly by. You'll learn so much about all the relationships, beyond just their friendship-turned-mess. You'll see them coming of age, and dealing with all the highs and lows it encompasses.

"Sometimes you hurt, and sometimes you ache, but the worst pain is one you can’t put a name to and can’t swallow a pill to fix."

And yes, maybe you'll learn something about yourself, or about relationships of all sorts. Maybe this book will help you process some of your own bullshitty life stuff. Maybe it'll tell you stuff you had to hear, had to hear in the way Rachel Lynn Solomon tells it. Maybe, if you're really lucky, it'll be exactly what you need.

Bottom Line: This book is beautiful and honest and relatable, and quite frankly, flawless.
Sierra Elmore
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
imagine having a wig remaining after finishing this book.....cannot relate!

Sweet, heartbreaking, haunting, and beautiful.
Nadhira Satria
”He is the earth, and I am the moon. There was never enough I could do to get him to love me that way I wanted, to see me as more than just a moon. I have never been enough, and he has always been too much”

MY HEART IS BROKEN. Oh my god. This book. THIS FUCKING BOOK JUST SHATTERED MY HEART.
Here I am still awake at six am in the morning, heartbroken from reading this
Their story killed me, the ending was just.... brb crying again. I’m just at loss for words for this beautiful, beau
Kate
Any book that makes snot stream down my face deserves all the stars
Hilda
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“There are a thousand other reasons I'm doing this, but still, this gesture makes me think what I have only allowed myself to think about on the rarest occasions: that maybe, after the transplant, Peter will want me, too.”

I knew from the very beginning this book was not for me. Why did I continue reading? Every new chapter. Every new event just proves it to me. Sophie and Peter were so codependent it hurt to watch. She was also so in love with him she was willing to die for him. Literally an
Samantha (WLABB)
I jumped at the opportunity to read this book based on all the amazing things I had heard about Solomon's debut, You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, and let me tell you, it was a great decision. This book was a painfully beautiful exploration of a friendship, and how quickly something so seemingly solid can deteriorate.

Sophie and Peter shared a friendship, which worked well in a bubble, but post-transplant, a lot of cracks begin to become more prominent, and I know I struggled with being b
dezzy
5 stars.

My first five-star read of 2019, yay!!

It was so easy to rate Our Year of Maybe five stars. I love this book so much.

- Rachel Lynn Solomon's writing is so easy and fun to read. Not once did I feel bored while reading this, the plot & pacing were great!
- THE CHARACTERS, oh my gosh. Peter and Sophie's relationship was so complex and intriguing to read about, and my heart hurt so much for Sophie at times.
- I LOVE PETER AND CHASE. They're so cute and ahhh I ab
McKinlay Dennis
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse, queer-2019, 2018
Listen, this book perfectly captured unrequited love for me. How it can be all encompassing, and also incredibly toxic. Wow, just wow. This book hit me hard!

*also Peter is bi. Sophie is dyslexic.
Robyn
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Lynn Solomon blew me away with her debut book, You’ll Miss Me When I am Gone. So, I can’t tell you how excited I was when I found out that her second novel, Our Year of Maybe was to be released soon. I NEEDED this book! I once thought that Solomon could not get any better than her debut, but I was wrong, this book is everything I ever hoped it could be and so much more.

Sophie has been in love with Peter almost her entire life. They are the best of friends. Sophie would do anything for Pe
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.5 STARS

Sophie is in love with her neighbor and best friend. She can’t help hoping Peter will feel the same way after she donates a kidney to him.
Peter is now free, healthy enough to live his life, go back to school and pursue his interests.
If Peter doesn’t return Sophie’s romantic love, can their friendship survive.

Rachel Lynn Solomon’s sophomore book is every bit as engaging and well written her debut, YOU’LL MISS ME WHEN I’M GONE. OUR YEAR OF MAYBE is a complic
rachelwrites007
04/16/2018: That description is perfect. Sophie and Peter and Chase and Tabitha and Luna and Josh and the entire cast will steal your heart. This book, like Rachel's debut, deals with intense love, debts, and high school dramallama. It will be perfect for fans of her debut (DUH), but also for fans of Siobhan Vivian and Corey Ann Haydu.

01/06/2018: What a book. Rach's characters never cease to amaze me. <3

I am lucky enough to be Rachel's critique partner and have read many drafts of t
Elise (TheBookishActress)
this is a book about the issue of transplants and best friendship, feat. a bi lead. cool.
Stacy Fetters
"I gave Peter a piece of me- but maybe I also have him the freedom to figure out who he was without me. And I should have realized much sooner that I’d given myself the exact same thing."

When you love and care about someone so much, you would do anything for them. No matter the cost and no matter what kind of toll it takes on your body. Would you put your life on hold for a friend?

Sophie does that exact thing for her best friend, Peter. Peter is on the kidney donor list and his tim
Mylien Lai
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has helped me through a different time in my life.
Tova
This was interesting. I have a lot of thoughts and feelings, which will be put into a review as soon as I have time to check up on reviews. RTC.
Monica
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter and Sophie's characters were so well developed. I really appreciated being 'with them' as they grew and went through phases of their friendship. Teenage life can be messy and this book embraced that without being too dramatic. I found their feelings realistic and thought out which made them really relatable.
Booklovin✮
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be more amazing, than to be given a chance to actually live? Overall, this was a beautifully written book that tackles difficult issues while pulling you into its world.The ending surprised me and I loved it.
K.A.
Bloody brilliant, as is literally EVERYTHING Rachel Lynn Solomon writes. The voice, the real characterization, the messy truth about teenage love and friendship and life, it's all so perfectly amazing, this author is quickly rising to the top of my favorite YA contemp authors. I cannot say enough about this book. LOVED IT!
Steff Pasciuti
I am one hundred percent certain that, had Our Year of Maybe by Rachel Lynn Solomon ended differently, I would have given it a rating of two. I think it safe for me to say that it is the ending that really makes this novel, however that does not mean that I liked it. I actually found this story rather boring and frustrating to read on a personal level. The thing is, Our Year of Maybe is too real for me. While I enjoy reading books that have deeper messages about ideas in our society that are perpetuated and unhealthy, this onetoo is, Ourhad Our ...more
Alex's Reads & Reviews
We're back with actual reviews! *screams in yay*

First off, a bit about this brilliant novel.
This is the story of two best friends, Sophie and Peter, who have lived across the street from each other their entire lives. Peter, having kidney disease, is home-schooled and is rather isolated, so the only real friend he has is Sophie. Sophie has intentionally isolated herself from the rest of the world in order to be there for Peter in every way. When Sophie turns 18, she decides to
Sarah Ames-Foley
This review can also be found on my blog.

I had honestly expected this to be a more emotionally piercing book than it ended up being. The themes here are so deep, and complicated. This book follows Sophie and Peter over the course of a year, starting just before Sophie donates her kidney to Peter, who was born with failing organs. The relationship between the two is complicated to begin with, so this exchange only serves to muddy the waters further.

There is a lot to love about
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Meaning of Birds
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Small Town Hearts
  • Opposite of Always
Rachel Lynn Solomon writes, tap dances, and collects red lipstick in Seattle, Washington. Once she helped set a Guinness World Record for the most natural redheads in one place. She's the author of You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, a Sydney Taylor Honor Book, Indies Introduce title, and Kids' Indie Next Top 10 Pick, Our Year of Maybe, and Today Tonight Tomorrow (June 16, 2020), all from Simon & Schuster/Simon Pulse. ...more