Start by marking “The Girl from Widow Hills” as Want to Read:

The Girl from Widow Hills

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Last House Guest—a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick—comes a riveting new novel of psychological suspense about a young woman plagued by night terrors after a childhood trauma who wakes one evening to find a corpse at her feet.

Everyone knows the story of “the girl from Widow Hills.”

Arden Maynor was just a child when she was
Expected publication: June 23rd 2020 by Simon & Schuster

Availability: 20 copies available, 5970 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Feb 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Girl from Widow Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl from Widow Hills

Start your review of The Girl from Widow Hills
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I proudly announce that WE HAVE ANOTHER WINNER! This year there will be so much competition between smart, heart throbbing, mind bending, terrifying thrillers.

I have to admit the plot of the book excited me so much. A six years old sleepwalker girl leaves her house and she’s not found for 3 days. There is threatening rainstorm starts out there. Rescue workers, neighbors and large groups of search parties look for everywhere to bring her home back.
    Then she miraculously found by Sean Coleman
    megs_bookrack
    Thank you so much, Simon & Schuster, for my ARC!!

Today I am blessed!

This sounds all sorts of intriguing and I cannot wait to start.
    Caitlin Reads
    Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I was really intrigued and excited to read this novel. Megan Miranda delivered a suspenseful page turner that had me guessing until the end. I didn’t completely love the ending and felt myself wanting more but this was still a good read overall. The Girl From Widow Hill has an eerie vibe throughout and is darker than some of Miranda’s more recent work. This novel was hard to put down and I wouldn’t suggest starting right before going to bed. It features Olivia/Arden who had gone missing for days ...more
    Holly
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley, 2020
    *2.5 stars

I usually like Megan Miranda’s adult mysteries, but this one didn’t do it for me. Olivia has shed her past since becoming the infamous “girl from widow hills”. Throughout the story you are shown glimpses from her past & you’re left wondering what’s real or not. She’s always had trouble sleepwalking and one night she wakes up over a dead body. Olivia tries to piece together what happened and if it has anything to do with her past. Shady people enter her life, bringing nothing but
    Cindy Bokma
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Pre-Order this book now because you won't want to miss reading it!

I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish The Girl From Widow Hills, it was a very good book with lots of suspense.

When Olivia was a young child, she went missing and was found three days later in a storm drain. She received tons of media attention, her mother got a book deal, she was all over the place and ultimately had to move away and change her name.

Now she's grown up, working in a hospital but she's plagued
    Donna Hines
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    You can run but you can never hide! The truth will set you free!
    OMG!! This book was superb and kept me flipping pages faster than I've ever done before!
    If you are looking for a thriller with that exclusive fast paced, heart pounding, non stop action- Look no further!
    Megan is a writer I've enjoyed for many years and in fact has always received high reviews from me.
    This is in my opinion one of her best writings if not THE BEST!
    It all begins with a young lady ARDEN who is lost for over 3 days
    Carina Olsen
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arcs-i-want
    I feel beyond certain that this is my favorite adult book by Megan. I mean, I love all her books. But this one was even more thrilling and even more twisty. I completely loved it. And so I cannot help but give it five stars. There was one thing I wish there had been more of, but gosh, how badly I loved this book. It was truly good.

Honestly, this book was everything I had wanted it to be. I have been a fan of Megan and her books for so many years now. Of course I had to read this newest book by
    Kelsey Weber
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I came into this extremely biased because I'm a Megan Miranda lover. I've been needing (yes, needing,) something new from her for a while now, so I couldn't wait to dive into this one.

I have to admit- I struggled through the first half of this book. I'm not sure what it was that made me struggle, and I was invested in the story enough to stick with it, but I just didn't get sucked into it like I normally do with her books. I did really love it once I finished it, and it was one where I
    Jamie
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is my favorite Megan Miranda book to date! I loved the thrills and the back story of a childhood trauma leading into a adulthood and not being able to trust anyone! This book gave me an eerie feeling the entire time, something I just couldn’t shake. The build up of the story was a little let down, I was expecting a little more.

Thanks to Netgalley for my advanced ebook copy.
    Bandit
    Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Oh these types of thrillers. Nearly impossible to avoid, but one can prescreen for quality. And with Megan Miranda, it’s a pretty safe bet the quality will be there. This is my third maybe read by the author and she has consistently been standout in the sea of homogenic similar. So what is it about her books that makes them different? Well, the writing, mainly. I mean, Miranda sticks with all the genre formulas, so you get your split narrative and your women in crisis and your plots twists, she ...more
    Peggy Jaeger
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Megan Miranda’s new book, THE GIRL FROM WIDOW HILLS is one of the best books I’ve read this year, so far.

Arden Meyer was a 6 year old girl who sleepwalked one night and after an exhaustive search was found in a drainage pipe 3 days later, alive mad with no memory of what happened to her. The media attention surrounding the story dragged on for years afterward and by the time the 5 and then 10 year anniversaries came, Arden didn’t want to be the girl from Widow Hills any longer.

A name and
    Leslie Horton
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Wow! I just finished an advanced copy of The Girl From Widow Hills by Megan Miranda . This may be her best book yet. It's the story of Arden Maynor, who was swept away after sleepwalking during a storm and survived three days in underground pipes. To escape all the hoopla and changes her name and starts a new life. With the 20th anniversary of her ordeal looming she is certain something bad will happen and she begins sleepwalking again and finds herself in her yard, tripping over a dead body. ...more
    Martha Avans
    Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020-reading-log
    Thanks to #Netgalley for the opportunity to read #TheGirlFromWidowHills by Megan Miranda. This is my first book by her, but it won't be the last.
    This book is a great thriller that kept me guessing. Just when I thought I knew what was happening things changed.
    I don't like to give away anything about the book. But I will say, if you get the chance to read this book, you should.
    Pattyh
    Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
    Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview The Girl From Widow Hills by Megan Miranda. Miranda brings to life the story lines for women of all ages. She is a very good story teller and draws you in to the plot.
    In her latest, Miranda tells the story of a young woman with a strange past. She survived being out in the elements for several days, was rescued, and became a flavor of the week for some time. Her name is now Olivia, but she used to be Arden and for 20 years she's been running
    Denise Reed
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you, Megan Miranda, for helping to erase the disappointment of The Last House Guest, which in my opinion was just mediocre. The Girl from Widow Hills was much more on par with All the Missing Girls and put Miranda back on my "read this one as soon as I can get my hands on it" list!

The Girl from Widow Hills is the story of Olivia Maynor - except that she's not really Olivia - she's Arden, a girl who twenty years earlier was sleepwalking one night and went missing for three days.
    She was
    Lindsay (TheLiteraryWife)
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc
    "I was the girl who survived. The girl who held on. The girl you prayed for, or at least pretended to pray for-thankful most of all that it wasn't your own child lost down there, in the dark. And after: I was the miracle. The sensation. The story."

The girl from Widow hills is a psychological thriller hold the thrill. For me, Arden's story fell flat in so many ways that at several points during the book I had to almost talk myself into finishing it.
    Arden was 6 years old when she was swept away
    Amanda Carvajal
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Review
    The Girl From Widow Hills

4/5
    This book was a good read, but.....It's not one that I just couldn't put down. It's missing a lot. It has some great twist and good plot. Unfortunately it's lacking more. I feel like the author could have put so much more into it. I kept waiting on that holy crap moment, but it never came.

Thank you to @netgalley for the arc. #bookstagrammer #bookstagram #arc #thegirlfromwidowhills #booknerd #booklover #booklife #suspense

Description from #goodreads

Everyone
    Bekki
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 Stars rounded up to 5!! This is my first experience with Megan Miranda, and I cannot wait to get my hands on more! What a talented writer! I was drawn into The Girl From Widow Hills from the first chapter!
    A young woman is plagued by night terrors and sleep walking due to a childhood trauma that scarred her significantly. Arden Maynor was just a child when she was swept away into a sewer drain during a sleep walking episode. It was three days before she was found, with absolutely no memory of
    Amber
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: books-2020
    Megan Miranda does it again! This book drew me in right away and I honestly couldn’t put it down. The author has such an awesome way with words and phrasing. A way that I don’t think you normally find in the thriller genre. Her words at times are lyrical and poetic and show deep thoughts about life and our circumstances (especially in this book). This was such a fast read and a great thriller!

What I liked: The main character was portrayed as a strong, self-aware woman who was able to survive a
    Sheri
    Feb 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Several times throughout this book I thought I had it all figured out, but the ending was a brilliant twist that I didn't see coming! I love a good mystery and this one kept me guessing the whole way. Megan Miranda does suspense like no one else and this is no exception. Loved it even though it kept me second guessing myself!

Summary:

Arden Maynor was just a child when she was swept away while sleepwalking during a terrifying rainstorm and went missing for days. Strangers and friends, neighbors
    Ashley
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Megan Miranda does it again! Such an amazing page turner! I couldn't put this one down. The Girl from Widow Hills is twisty and puts you on the edge of your seat. I love how in depth each character is as well. As I was reading, I felt like I was actually beside Olivia witnessing events with her.

Olivia is her new name for her new life. Once known as Arden Maynor, Olivia wants to leave the past behind her. Arden disappeared into a horrible storm, while sleepwalking, and was miraculously found
    Michelle
    Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Arden was a child when she had a terrifying experience of being swept away by a powerful rainstorm. She went missing for three days. Rescuers found her clinging to a storm drain. She has tried very hard to leave that part of her life behind. She moved to a different city and changed her name. However, as the twentieth anniversary of her rescue come closer, Arden is afraid her story will resurface and people will try to find her.

I find the story to develop at an extremely slow pace. Part of this
    Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for my ARC of this novel in exchange for my honest review.

I am pretty back and forth when it comes to Megan Miranda novels but I really enjoyed this one. It is 3.5 rounding up to 4 stars from me, with good twists but not too many to leave the reader feeling. I also liked that the ending was pretty reasonable overall, not stretching the imagination beyond its capacity or giving me a headache in the last 20 pages as so many thrillers often do.

This novel
    Cassie-Traveling Sister-
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Arden Mayer was six years old when she started sleepwalking, one night she disappeared and after three days of intense searching she was found in a drainage pipe. She had no memory of that night or what led to her being in the pipe but the media was infatuated with her story. The media’s attention followed her and her mother for years and even when the 5 and 10 year anniversaries came. Arden refusing to be known as the The Girl From Widow Hill since this happened In Widow Hill Kentucky, she ...more
    Marlana
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Thank you to Goodreads and Simon and Schuster for the advanced release copy of this book. I was thrilled to have received the newest release from one of my favorite authors.

As a young child, Arden was swept away during a rainstorm while having a sleepwalking episode. She and her mother achieved small-town fame for the incident, fame which Arden had never felt comfortable with. Her mother decided to use her story as an opportunity, and wrote a book describing the events of that night and the
    Sandy
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
    Thank you Net Galley & Simon & Schuster for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
    This book intrigued be from the get go. Arden is a 6 year old, who's been know to sleep walk. Her mother wakes to 'feel' Arden missing. Seems Arden was sleepwalking again and walked right into a rain storm that literally swept her away. It took 3 days before she was found by Sean Coleman, her hand seen sticking up through a storm grate.
    As one can image this was a story to got attention. A 6 year old
    RoseMary Achey
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    An event that transpired when she was 6 years old continues to haunt and hunt Arden Maynor. Arden was a sleepwalker and as a child she wandered out during a rainstorm and was swept into the storm drain system of her small community Widow Hills. Found three days later clinging to a storm grate her mother exploited the story for years to come.

There were several subplots I found a little difficult to wrap my head around-mainly that the general public would be as concerned with the story as author
    Kayla Frazee
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
    This one really did not hit home for me.

The story begins with an overly sensationalized (and in my opinion inflated for the sake of the story) incident where a child was washed away in a flood and found 3 days later. Sure, these things happen, but I don’t believe she’d be nationally hunted for decades to come. I bet 70% of America wouldn’t recognize even Elizabeth Smart walking down the street less than 20 years later.

There are also major gaps with characters and plot development. More than
    Sweetheart_Seer
    Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    *I was sent an e-arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. *

4.5 stars rounded up.

This was even more twisty than her previous work which I adored when I reviewed it last year! (The Last House Guest) Her writing and way of crafting a story just keeps getting better and better!

The threads that all wound and the questions being raised while getting answers and the speculations...oh man. What a wild ride!!!! I didn't guess until a page or two before the reveal on the whodunnit and why even
    Crystal Steele
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This is my 5th Megan Miranda read and it's definitely one of the best so far IMO. Very different sort of story line. The main character was a victim of a sensationalized accident when she was a child. The kind that has everyone in the community involved in search and rescue efforts. She doesn't remember much about what happened to her, but as an adult she changed her name and cut ties to anyone related to the incident in order to put it all behind her and start a life of her own. It really made ...more
    « previous 1 3 next »
    One N' Done Book ...: Megan Miranda 1 3 Feb 09, 2020 04:19PM
    One N' Done Book ...: The Girl From Widow Hills - Megan Miranda 1 2 Jan 30, 2020 01:24PM

• The Night Swim
    • The Perfect Mother
    • The Girls Weekend
    • The Wife Stalker
    • Pretty Things
    • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
    • The Look-Alike
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • The New Husband
    Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS, THE PERFECT STRANGER, and THE LAST HOUSE GUEST, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick. She has also written several books for young adults, including COME FIND ME, FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST, and THE SAFEST LIES. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children.

Her