Start by marking “Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)

Rush: The Beginning

(Black Hearts Still Beat #1)

An emotional, angsty, rockstar romance from the bestselling author of The Trouble With You and Wicked Beginnings.

The sweetheart of Country is about to show the bad boys of Rock, it only takes a single beat for everything to change.

Evangeline Walker knows how quickly everything can change.

But nothing can prepare her for the moment she meets Rafe Hunter.
Intense gray eyes.
ebook
Published November 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rush

Start your review of Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)
Wendy
3,5

I am not a really big fan of short stories, but I do sometimes persuade myself to read the prequel of a new series. Especially if I am sure I will be reading that specific series. I hate missing out on important details and whatnot, so skipping is not really an option.

Not an option GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This prequel was pretty entertaining. I mean L.A. Cotton already had me convinced of this series when I saw the word "rockstars". Count me in!!

There was a bit of a tragedy simmering in the background and it is very clear from the
NiCoLeTa E.
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
***4 "The things I want to do with you!!!" stars***

"Maybe there's a reason you're both here, at this exact time. Maybe he's supposed to help you heal."

I used to love rockstar romances, but it's been a while since I've read one...
Don't kick me in the butt, but this was my first book by L.A Cotton, even though I'm flirting with her Riders for a while...
This book has been a lovely introduction in a new series, full of music, romances, and heroes with countless scars inside out!!!

"All it
Meredith
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! It's no secret that I love rock star romance, and when I found out one of my favorite authors was coming out with this new series, I couldn't help but to dive right in. Rush is the prelude novel to the Black Hearts Still Beat series. It was a fantastic introduction into this whole new world full of romance, heartbreakingly beautiful lyrics and a connection between two scarred souls.

Evangeline Walker has been going through the motions day after day, but not truly living. Not like she did
nikki
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Because every second I spent with Rafe, the more I felt myself fall. And I was terrified he wouldn’t be there to catch me.”

Oh boy! While I’m still riding on a high that is LA Cottons Rixon Raiders series, a tiny part of my brain was concerned that while I was still waiting on my baby Ashers book, I wouldn’t have enough space in my heart for someone completely different. My heart is pretty high though, and I needn’t have worried because it welcomed Rafe with open arms and is refusing to let
queen_of_the_books_18
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
”It’s better to have loved and lost a rock star than to never have loved one at all, right?”

Dammit!!
Now I want to fall in love with a rockstar. Specifically Rafe Hunter. Because damn if he wasn’t as swoony as hell!!

I wasn’t sure to expect with Rush, but LA Cotton just made me fall in love with a Rockstar and left me panting for more.

”Rafe Hunter was breathing life back into me, and I was quickly becoming addicted.”

Eva, the aspiring country star, needs a reason to breathe after everything she
ABookLover73
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc, rock-star
Review coming soon...
bookspaced
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book of L.A. Cotton and I enjoyed her writing and story telling very much.

This book is full of music and great lyrics that warm your heart and let you feel what all the characters feel very deeply. In the first 50% of the book we learn alot about the main character Evangeline "Eva" Star Walker and her struggles with her past, present and her future. Sadly we don't get to meet the male main character Rafe Hunter until about 45% of the books. For me the book was a little slow in
Jasmina Ceha (Bookmarks by Jasmina blog)
L.A Cotton is new to me author and I went blind into her book but she totally swept me off my feet with Eva and Rafe story and now I need nothing but more of them. Rush was a short story and introduces us into the rock star world. It was refreshing and captivating book full of angst and chemistry between main characters.
Author wrote not only romance book but also told us deep and profound story about young couple who' feeling and life was so complicated.
This story gave me all the feels I was
Michelle Krystel
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advance readers copy of this book and have decided to write a voluntary honest review. Wow Rare was so not what I expected I mean Hudson was exactly what I expected but Rafe was so different. Well he was up till the end. But I have to see how I feel in the next book. And Levi man so much to know about these brothers.
Elsa Gomes (BookishAurora)
Rate: 5/ 5 stars

Rush is much more than a novella, it's a beginning. It's the perfect introduction to these characters and this new L A Cotton world.

I started this last night and I could not put it down; yes I read past my bed time and only didn't finish it in one sitting because I can't function on less than 7h of sleep. Evangeline and Rafe take you on a sweet and angsty trip of rendezvous, an instant connection and beautiful yet heartbreaking music.

I adored these two and this book.
Jennifer G
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evangeline Walker is alive, but not living. Not like before. Until Rafe Hunter. Thanks to her best friend, she's taking part in a country music competition. Music used to be her dream but that was before. But maybe, just maybe music can help her find her way back. The stage, performing is like coming home; she can breathe again. Then there's Rafe, the lead bassist for the rock band, Black Hearts Still Beat. He makes her remember what it feels like to be alive, to be excited, feel joy, feel pain. ...more
Abby J Capps
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! The characters in this story drew me in!
We have Eva who has faced some hard times in her young age. She lost the light in the process and with it her aspirations. She’s talented though and after her family enters her into a talent show, she decides to go. Enter mysterious bad boy here.
When we meet Rafe you instantly feel the spark between them. Things move fast in a short period, but it doesn’t feel forced so I dig that. Everything felt genuine. I even enjoyed the dynamic between
Trish Kitty Taylor  ***UNBOUND BOOK REVIEWS***
Wow. Just bloody wow. What a prelude, what a way to introduce a love story that is undoubtedly going to ruin me. Rush brings to life a gorgeous girl who whose struggle hurt my heart & a beautiful boy who hides behind a mask that comes with his job.

Both Rafe & Eva’s introduction was phenomenal from the very first Chapter, like literally LAC reached out from the pages, yanked my heart out & stomped all over it. The emotion was raw & so very real, which made the punch to the gut
Halle Reads
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reads
4.5/5 Stars
When Country meets Rock you get the beginning of something beautiful

created-image-1574775501951

Ok um yeah I loved this. After falling in love with the Rixon Raider series by Lianne I knew when she announced her new Rockstar series that I was going to be hooked.

I went into this book blind and pretty much fell headover heels in love with this world and these new characters. Both Eva and Rafe were heartbteakingly beautiful souls with an insane amount of chemistry and I absolutely loved the beginning of their
Kerri Mirabella
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic start to what is sure to be an angst filled, heartbreaking, rock star romance series. LA Cotton is quickly moving up the list of my favorite authors. You want sports romance? She's got it. You want new adult/bully romance? She's got it. And now, she can add rock star romance to her brilliant repertoire.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It was definitely more emotionally charged than I expected. Don't start throwing insults my way, but rock
Cassie
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rush was one of those books that captivates you from the beginning. Maybe it was both the main character’s dance around spilling their inner turmoil that kept me nailed to my seat. Perhaps it was the written explanation of how music flows through a musician’s heart and soul. Maybe it was both.

Eva was meant to shine and shine bright. Her journey to where she is at the end of the book was bumpy, to say the least, but I think that combined with her pure intentions to help her family made it easy to
Wickedly Sweet & Synful Book Blog Synclare Moss
Devoured this gem. Holy forking frogs!
Seriously fantastic. I was kinda pissed off that I finished so fast. I need more..now...please.
Eva and Rafe....off the chart chemistry..instant connection that only happens once in a lifetime.
I love this new world that LA Cotton brought to us.
I’m so hungry for Rise..and I have a long wait.
Will I survive the torment or will Lianne have mercy on my soul?

~BREAKDOWN OF RATINGS~
Plot~ 5/5
Main Characters (hero/heroine)~ 5/5
Secondary Characters~ 5/5
The Feels~ 5/5
Snow
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is a true-to-its-form prequel...

It was a story of a 17 year old Evangeline Star Walker, a beautiful and musically talented young woman that both lost and won the fight with a heavy illness...
i say both - won and lost - cause yes, she beat it, and then she fell into the survival guilt and she lost all her previous life spark, the meanings of life's worth the constant questioning linger on her mind...and stops her from fully embracing the "second chance" she got...

So, her best friend Molly
BLuvsBooks
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A second?” “Yeah, for everything to change.”

A fantastic introduction to this new world LA Cotton has created.
Rockstars, aspiring country singer, angst, secrets, heartache and original songs!

Eva at 18 years old has just been through a life changing experience and is reluctant to go back to her love of singing and performing.
With the encouragement of her best friend Molly and her parents she enters into a singing contest.
While their she meets Rafe Hunter from the famous rock band Black Hearts
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
An angsty beginning of a series I know I’m not ready for! This prelude blew me away and if it’s any indication of the next two books I know I’m in for some major angst, massive heartbreak and a love so epic it’ll stay imprinted in my soul for years to come!

Ryker and Eva’s story has only just begun and I know some twists and major secrets will come to light! Cotton has set the stage for a series so epic you will definitely not want to miss a single word of it! I can’t wait to go on this journey
Ellie
Dec 05, 2019 added it
Kandace Denys
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing start to a new series!
I am a longtime fan of Cotton’s work, but this one here may have taken her to a new level!
Rafe Hunter is so many good things, especially for being a rockstar. Rock romances are usually so much of the same things going on, but this one.... prepare yourself for a new era of stars.
Eva Walker is a girl with some things in her past that she’d rather keep to herself, preparing to join the music world. She’s a wholesome girl, untouched by the types of things that
Becky Rendon
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
L.A. Cotton, you my dear, are a tease!

Rush: The Beginning is just that the beginning. It ends on a high note and is the ultimate tease. Black Hearts Still Beat are going twist your wet panties while you hope for your every wish to come true.

I would laugh if I also didn't want to cry! I'm so torn, angry, and feel like a foolish young girl smitten by the brooding rockstar. Be careful what you wish for! You might just get it!

I am so excited for the next chapter of Eva's life to begin. Im even more
Momandbooks
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure what to expect from l.a. Cotton new series. Then I was blown away by this perfect start to the series. Who doesn’t love a story about a Rockstar and Country girl with secrets and a passion for music. This is an emotional angsty story was complex characters you instantly enjoy and want to learn more about. I can’t wait to see where these characters story lead us.
Booklifexo
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah well what can I say! It was so so good, I loved this story. Rafe definitely is one my new favourite book boyfriends for sure!

Really didn’t know what to expect from this story but it left me wanting more ....

What a great start to the series!!!!
book.addict.nb
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have received a free ARC copy of this book. HOLY CRAP! I loved this book I couldn’t put it down. I loved Rafe and Eva and reading about how they meet. I can not wait to hear more about Rafe and the band. I just loved this book. I can not wait for the next one to come out.
Fictional Bookboyfriends -Lainey
Amazing amazing amazing!!!

Rush is emotional heartbreaking romance with broken characters that you will absolutely adore!

This is the first book in the Black Hearts Still Beat series that is a rockstar romance. We learn the history and backstory understanding where Rafe and Eva have been Yahtzee’s has led them to here and now.
This is an angsty read that will keep you turning the pages wanting and needing more.
A great start to a series and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.
Kari Davis
Well L.A. Cotton proves once again that she knows how to grab her readers attention. I am not a big fan of novellas because they always leave me wanting more, but Holy crapola what a fantastic start to Rafe and Eva's story. I can't wait for the next installment. Rush was exciting, sad, a full of humorous moments.

Evageline has had a rough year. She is trying to find out who she is again after a long battle that she won, but has left some major emotional scars on her soul. She has always loved
Taylor Graham
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! So first I’m not a huge novella reader but LA Cotton is one of my favorite authors so I was excited to read this book. Don’t be fooled by the title or the fact that it’s not very long bc this book packs a punch! This is the beginning to Rafe and Eva’s story and before you think, “Do I really need to read this to enjoy the rest?” The answer is yes! You don’t want to miss out on this! The chemistry between Rafe and Eva is outstanding. I was worried for a bit bc Eva comes off a little naive at ...more
Weronika -  Little Steamy Reads
„All it takes is a second for everything to change.”

And all it took was a couple of pages to feel a whole range of emotions and to fall in love with this story. Rush: The Beginning is a novella introducing us to the Black Hearts Still Beat series, but it’s so emotionally charged that I’m a puddle of feels. From the very first page L.A. Cotton stole my attention and charmed me with this new world she created.

My heart broke for Evangeline, but at the same time I was cheering her on like a best
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New Adult Book Club: L.A. Cotton Signed paperback and Swag box ~ CLOSED! 33 75 Dec 01, 2019 06:53AM

• Wild In The Windy City: The Anthology Volume 3
  • Thorn (Rosewood High #1)
  • Waiting for the Sun (Hand Over My Heart Duet, #2)
  • Breaking You (Blackthorn Elite #2)
  • Chase the Butterflies
  • In Peace Lies Havoc (Midnight Mayhem #1)
  • Where the Little Birds Go
  • Code of Silence
  • Hating You (Blackthorn Elite #1)
  • Even When I'm Gone (Stay with Me, #2)
  • Hearts and Thorns (Magnolia Cove, #3)
  • Throttled (Dirty Air, #1)
  • Rock Star, Interrupted (Tragic Duet, #1)
  • Releasing Keanu (The Kennedy Boys #8)
  • Kiss Me With Lies (Twin Lies, #1)
  • The Best Chance
  • Steel Princess (Royal Elite, #2)
  • Enemies
Angsty. Edgy. Addictive Romance

Author of mature young adult and new adult novels, L A is happiest writing the kind of books she loves to read: addictive stories full of teenage angst, tension, twists and turns.
Home is a small town in the middle of England where she currently juggles being a full-time writer with being a mother/referee to two little people. In her spare time (and when she’s not

Black Hearts Still Beat (3 books)
  • Rise: The Interlude (Black Hearts Still Beat, #2)
  • Rule: The Finale (Black Hearts Still Beat, #3)