Jump to ratings and reviews

From Pac-Man to Pop Music: Interactive Audio in Games and New Media

Digital interactive audio is the future of audio in media - most notably video games, but also web pages, theme parks, museums, art installations and theatrical events. Despite its importance to contemporary multi-media, this is the first book that provides a framework for understanding the history, issues and theories surrounding interactive audio. Karen Collins presents the work of academics, composers and sound programmers to introduce the topic from a variety of angles in order to provide a supplementary text for music and multimedia courses. The contributors cover practical and theoretical approaches, including historical perspectives, emerging theories, socio-cultural approaches to fandom, reception theory and case study analyses. The book offers a fresh perspective on media music, one that will complement film studies, but which will show the necessity of a unique approach when considering games music.

224 pages, Paperback

11 books6 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (8%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Jonatan Almfjord.
274 reviews3 followers
June 10, 2022
A collection of scientific articles on video game music. Quite a nerdy read, and clearly not meant as an easily accessible popular science book. But as an overview of - from what I understand to be - a rather narrow research field, it does its job well. It's worth noticing that as I'm writing this, the book is more than 15 years old. There should have been significant progress in the science since then. (Most notably, I assume, the introduction of the smartphone and social media should have changed the game somewhat.)

Personally, I did enjoy reading the fifth article, Theoretical approaches to composing dynamic music for video games by Jesper Kaae. That one was interesting in discussing what I would describe as adaptive versus passive video game music. It makes a great difference to be able to change the music based on the player's in-game choices. To anyone who played any video game recently, this is likely a banality to the point that you don't even think about it. Clearly, when done right, it heightens the immersive experience of gameplay considerably. As for the other articles, I can't say they grasped my attention for any longer stretch of time.

So, in conclusion, I find this book to be a decent piece of nerdy science. I don't think many would be interested in reading it cover to cover in a single sitting, but who knows. If you're into it, maybe it could be cool. (Unless, of course, you just look up the articles one by one instead.)
Profile Image for Jacob.
75 reviews1 follower
July 25, 2018
Useful insight into the history of game sound. Not as useful for my studies as “Game Sound”, but of the same high quality.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.