Start by marking “Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)

Blood Heir

(Blood Heir Trilogy #1)

In the Cyrilian Empire, Affinites are reviled. Their varied gifts to control the world around them are unnatural—dangerous. And Anastacya Mikhailov, the crown princess, has a terrifying secret. Her deadly Affinity to blood is her curse and the reason she has lived her life hidden behind palace walls.

When Ana’s father, the emperor, is murdered, her world is shattered.
Published November 18th 2019 by Voyager - GB

To ask other readers questions about Blood Heir, please sign up.
Devon Jolly THAT is what you're worried about? People like you are the reason this author has been bullied into not publishing.…moreTHAT is what you're worried about? People like you are the reason this author has been bullied into not publishing. (less)
Sam They allow people to review because of ARC (advanced readers copies). The ARCS are essentially supposed to help an author with promoting their book to…moreThey allow people to review because of ARC (advanced readers copies). The ARCS are essentially supposed to help an author with promoting their book to get release say sales up. Unfortunately, there are people out there who get offended by the tiniest things and then cause the whole mess that happened with this book. One person or a few people just ruin things for everyone else.(less)

Start your review of Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
Mary S. R.
[30 Apr 2019]
Ladies and gentlemen, it's been confirmed: BLOOD HEIR WILL BE PUBLISHED! This is not a drill I repeat this is not a drill Blood Heir will be out November 19th 2019!

To the haters, I say:

According to New York Times, this is why and how Zhao finally decided to go ahead with publishing Blood Heir (if you want to know why it was cancelled, scroll down to the Jan 31 update):

[Zhao] reread her book several times, examining the plot and characters to see if the critics were right. She
Amélie Zhao
Jan 31, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update: So, the cover is live! Andddd it's time for me to hide and never come on Goodreads again! Just kidding. Sort of?

I wanted to share the Dear Reader letter that we included in the ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) of BLOOD HEIR. It touches upon why I wrote BLOOD HEIR, and who I wrote it for.

Dear Reader,

Four years ago, I began writing a story about a corrupt empire steeped in winter, filled with morally gray con men, deadly assassins, twisted villains, and above all, a girl named Anastacya, who
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was so damn good!! (If a friend has a physical copy of the arc before the author was bullied, message me, I want the original!) The book had some major sad parts in it!!

I’m looking forward to the next book!!

Mel

********RANT BELOW ABOUT THE ASSHOLES THAT GOT THOS BOOK SHUT DOWN FOR A BIT***************

UPDATE: This was not the day to get this email about my pre-order being void!! (And don’t preach on my post or you will be deleted. I’ve put up with enough bullshit in my 40+ years!!) It
Mel (Epic Reading)
Added to post April 30, 2019
GOOD NEWS!! Zhao is publishing Blood Heir AS IS in November! http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/books/amelie-wen-zhao-blood-heir.html
———————————————————————————
Added to post Jan 31, 2019
**Show your support for publication by purchasing a pre-sale copy of Blood Heir from your countries primary bookseller**
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added to post late Jan 30, 2019
Added since author Amelie pulled her book from
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"You focused on the battle and lost sight of the war.”

description

The first three chapters were a solid 5 stars, everything after felt like reading a completely different book.
_______________

This was not it, chief.
Firstly, this review is not going to talk about or explain the controversy behind this book... If you want to know why it got pulled and then set to be re-published, there are so many great reviews and articles out there that explain the situation. All this review is going to be is just
Emily May
The author has confirmed that Blood Heir will publish November 19, 2019.

Candace Robinson
Update! My favorite book of the year has a new release date!

You have no idea how disappointed I am to hear that this book will not be getting published. People need to stop getting offended over things. This is a fiction book and it was seriously my favorite so far of 2019, so I'm completely heartbroken that the author felt the need to pull her book because of bullying.

A dark retelling version of Anastasia? I'm all in! I've read one other Anastasia retelling, Heart of Iron, which was totally
MischaS_
EDIT: Another November 19th 2019 publish? What's going on? However, seeing that the author most likely rewrote parts of the book... I'm a bit hesitant to read it. It almost feels like self-censoring. I'm very conflicted about this.
My hopes right now? I really need a review from someone who had a chance to read the first version.

EDIT: I made the mistake that I went back to Twitter to have a look what's new. I should not have done that. They are trying to turn this all around and make the two
Vicky Who Reads
I still have my original ARC. Undecided if I will read, because it appears very few significant edits were made.

First off, something a lot of people don't know: Asian friends! Please do not get confused--the main character is not Asian. I know a lot of people think that she is (I myself thought that), but after further digging & clarification, Ana is not Asian. Nor are the people who are enslaved. Do with that as you will.

The most recent NYT article, abridged:

"...some readers argued that
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
I was just expecting so much more...???

I'm delighted that Amélie Wen Zhao got a chance to express her feelings throughout this novel! She has defined the purpose of this novel many times to the public. She wanted to write a book that paralleled the torture of human trafficking. And quite frankly, anyone who has this much of a personal meaning to their own story deserves to tell it.

Here's the thing... Zhao's writing is not anything unique. It’s not any different from all the other YA Fantasy
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast pacing, mostly entertaining, dual POVed, full of action, heart throbbing, dark, debut trilogy’s first book is consumed and the first time hero between antihero kind of cunning, con-man stole the show and I loved everything about Ransom Quicktongue ( I’m not sure about his nickname, too many times it gave me hard laughs maybe I drank so much Moscato or charmed too much for expecting more memorable last name for this character) I found myself pray for reading this character’s own ...more
MischaS_
The first book of 2020 and... I liked it? Even if this review may focus a bit more on the things, I did not like (why is it so much easier to write a review pointing out the things I did not enjoy that those I did?). However, I have to say that this review is very far from perfect, I had a tough time writing it, and I'm not 100% happy with the result. And in the end, I had to cut parts of it because I've run out of characters.

Okay, I liked it a lot, I enjoyed reading it, and while it's not
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's impossible to discuss this book without addressing the controversy surrounding it. Basically, publication was delayed and digital ARCs were pulled after some preliminary readers alleged that there were passages in this book that were, according to the articles I read summarizing the issue, "anti-black." After a small but vocal minority of people decried this book-- either overtly or subtextually-- as being racist or problematic, the
jessica
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
i dont really have much to say or any deep thoughts about this other than, for a debut novel, this is a decent effort.

this isnt the most original novel as many key points of the plot are recycled from other YA fantasies (major grishaverse vibes). some characterisation is lacking (one vital character doesnt even show up until the very end, leaving me super confused about their motives for everything) and the writing is just okay.

yet somehow i enjoyed this. its a quick, easy read and perfect for
Ian
Though I have no interest in the book, after the ridiculous decision to capitulate to the sanctimonious Rent-A-Mob on Twitter I feel compelled to offer the following free advice to the author:

If you allow envious, rival authors and agents to claim for themselves the right to determine that your writing is secretly “coded” to mean what they want it to mean, rather than what you intend for it to mean, you will learn the hard way that you’ll never successfully appease these people. They will simply
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
UPDATE: It has a new release date everyone!

"Your Affinity does not define you. What defines you is how you choose to wield it."

As many of you may know by now, this book has apparently been embroiled in a rather intense controversy. I say apparently because I personally have only heard of the incident through second hand sources here on Goodreads and have not in fact been following the issue on Twitter. So please understand I cannot to speak to that issue. I am just here to give my honest review
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a REAL and HONEST review.

To the people who didn't give this book a chance because of other people's opinions or the ranting on twitter - shame on you. Also, fuck you because this book was so fucking good.

ALSO, tons of spoilers in this review. I didn't feel like hiding them or nothing. So read this at your own risk people.

Now I know Amelie pulled this book but since I got the ARC anyways, I wasn't going to waste this opportunity. I wanted
Laura Thalassa
“My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.”
–Adlai Stevenson

That's all I'm going to say about this one.

Be kind, y'all. <3
Joshee Kun (조수아)
We are all heroes in our own eyes, and monsters in the eyes of those who are different. —Linn

This is another instance of unwarranted hate. It's sad how Twitter almost crushed the dreams of a promising author who only wanted to retell one of the dark periods in Chinese/Asian history. Overly sensitive influencers disregarded Amélie's standpoint, accusing her of Black discrimination (and plagiarism). Now that I've read the ARC and final manuscript, I feel very indignant. But I'm also glad that the
Zainab
full detailed review here review

Not trying to diss or anything- I actually really loved this but I read it as 'clown princess' and not 'crown princess' and I'm just-

description

Okay so about the book; it's fantastic. I genuinely enjoyed it and it's quite apparent in the fact that I read it in almost one sitting and I've got finals in less than a week.

This is the second retelling of Anastasia I've read this year and boy oh boy let me tell you I've started growing a thing for retellings.

I think the best part
Tanya Tate
Feb 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Edit:April 30th Nov 19,2019 is the new release date!! I'm happy for her!!

I'm kind of disappointed in myself for not requesting this when I had the chance because I wanted to see for myself what people are talking about.

The book community(cough Twitter cough) can be vicious as hell.

Yes I do agree that even PoCs authors should be held accountable when they are writing about diversity that is not their own but this....

This seems like a witch hunt to me.. Especially from one author who is on
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
I'm more interested to read this now just because of the controversy.

There is a lot of drama in the book world and some authors should address the issues raised in their books but I am not sure that the issues raised are enough to justify pulling the book from publication.

Not everything in the world is looked at through American eyes and it seems that a vocal majority has cowed this author into submission.

EDIT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/bo...

This will be published on November 19, 2019.
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Chelsea
Update
A newly edited version of Blood Heir is going to be published November 19th of this year. While I stand by my opinion that nothing about the message of this book needed to be changed, I'm happy that we will be provided a chance to read this story. Amelie deserves to have her book read, so look for it on shelves this Fall!

---

Curing an affinity was like trying to change the color of someone’s skin or the way someone loved.
Impossible.

Imagine this: ever since you’ve been a little kid, you
Lily ☁️
Please do not ask me for an eARC of this book to ~judge how problematic this book is for yourself~, you will not receive a favorable reply. Thank you.

// buddy read with my blogging sis <3

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | Tumblr |Twitter
Amy Imogene Reads
4.5

Stellar world building. Super writing. A unique twist on several magic tropes.

Writing:
Plot: 1/2
Main characters: 1/2
World:
Pacing: 1/2

Intricately plotted, gorgeously written, and extremely strong in character development and setting, Blood Heir is an impressive debut.

It reminds me of the joy I had when reading Leigh Bardugo for the first time—great writing surrounding a great world. In fact, there are echoes of Grishaverse in Blood Heir. The dual POVs felt like Six of Crows—in a good,
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
here's a concept: before you start writing "russian inspired" books that has russian names in it, spare five minutes and research russian naming conventions the way you form last names is literally. in top results of google.

plot twist: russian language is gendered. a woman wouldn't have a male last name no matter how much you want her to.
Lucy Langford
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****

"Choices were for those with privilege and power. When you had none, all you could do ws survive."

For me this book started off really strong, with an excellent beginning and middle. Ana is thought to be dead; accused of killing her father, the Emperor, she has fled from the royal palace to get revenge on the person who caused his death, and show the empire that she was framed. While doing this she comes across a member of an important crime gang that runs the underbelly of crime and the
Tara ☽
Apr 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
While I think it's important for readers to be able to let authors know if the content they've written is potentially harmful, many of the criticisms I have seen of this book have been very Western-centric, and, more specifically, America-centric.

The author of this book is Asian, did not grow up in America, and based the content of her book on the human rights violations she has witnessed in modern Asia. American readers who know next to nothing about the very real issues of human trafficking
Illumicrate Group: Day Seven: Chapter 30- 34n (inc) 2 11 Jan 18, 2020 05:47AM
Illumicrate Group: Day Six: Chapter 25- 29 (Inc) 2 9 Jan 18, 2020 05:46AM
Illumicrate Group: Day Five Chapter 20- 24 (Inc) 5 18 Jan 17, 2020 11:09AM
Illumicrate Group: Day Four: Chapter 15-19 (Inc) 5 16 Jan 17, 2020 11:07AM
Illumicrate Group: Day Two: Chapter 5-9 (Inc) 5 20 Jan 17, 2020 11:04AM
Illumicrate Group: Day Three: Chapter 10-14 (Inc) 3 15 Jan 14, 2020 05:36AM
Illumicrate Group: Day One: Chapter 1-4 (Inc) 10 39 Jan 12, 2020 10:20AM

• The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Tiger Queen
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • When Wishes Bleed
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
[Hi friends! I don't check Goodreads anymore, but you can find me on Instagram @ameliewenzhao and Twitter @ameliewenzhao.]

Amélie Wen Zhao is a Paris-born Chinese national who fell in love with stories since she was old enough to hold a book. Raised in an international community in Beijing, she had the opportunity to grow up steeped in the values and teachings of three different cultures. Romance

Blood Heir Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Tigress (Blood Heir Trilogy, #2)
  • Untitled (Blood Heir Trilogy, #3)
“You can achieve everything in this world, but if it’s for someone else, it’s pointless. Live for yourself.” 8 likes
“I suppose we are all heroes in our own eyes, and monsters in the eyes of those who are different.” 5 likes