Start by marking “Fall Through Spring (Winter Ball, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fall Through Spring (Winter Ball, #3)

Fall Through Spring

(Winter Ball #3)

A Winter Ball Novel

As far as Clay Carpenter is concerned, his abusive relationship with food is the best thing he’s got going. When a good friend starts kicking his ass into gear, Clay is forced to reexamine everything he learned about food and love—and that’s right when he meets troubled graduate student, Dane Hayes.

Dane Hayes doesn’t do the whole monogamy thing, but

Published December 3rd 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Fall Through Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Through Spring

Start your review of Fall Through Spring (Winter Ball, #3)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

It took me ages to get through this book: eight days to be exact, which is unheard of in my reading world. This isn't a very long book, either, but for some reason it dragged for me. Why? I'm not sure, but I'll try to muddle through an explanation:

I love Amy Lane, and that is no secret, but sometimes her stories sink under the weight of all that angst. This was the case here.

Clay (Carpenter) has an eating disorder (compulsive overeating), which is most definitely a thing. Clay can never
☆ Todd
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it

You know how sometimes you feel like you'll just die if you don't get a follow-up story for a previous side character? And sometimes, you just... don't?

Well, this was kinda the latter for me.

In the previous books, Clay seemed like a nice enough guy, but he was sort of the green bean casserole at Thanksgiving dinner for me. Sure, he was 'there', but he didn't end up taking up much space on my interest plate.

However, as this story began, I didn't actually like him very much. He was unhappy, ate
BWT (Belen)
The Winter Ball series is in my top two Amy Lane series. I love these characters. These are books I've read and listened to (and re-listened to, seriously, if you have the coin grab them on audio - they're spectacular) multiple times.

But Fall Through Spring, which I was ridiculously excited to read, was an emotionally exhausting read without the emotional payout in hurt/comfort Amy Lane usually provides.

For me, it was missing so much of the humor and underlying hope, or je ne sais quoi, that
Rachel Emily
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for me. After reading the first two books in the Winter Ball series, I was eagerly looking forward to getting Carpenter and Dane's story, since we saw the beginnings of their relationship so much from different POVs in the previous book.

However, even though this was their book, I felt like there was still so much focus on Mason and Terry and there were SO many hurdles that they had to get through, it was a bit of a struggle to get to that HEA. It's like, what I imagined their story
Becca
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very hard book for me to read. It made me look at my own life and what I had to deal with with my ex. Only he refused to get help. And it’s like looking in a mirror as well as I struggle with what Clay does. Being constantly nitpicked about your weight. It was hard and I’m not going to lie, I cried like a baby during the whole thing. It’s hard to see the bad parts of your life in a book and wish there was hope at the end like there is here. But that’s the good thing about this book ...more
Veronica WordsAreMyDrinkOfChoice
Cammey Kelley
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars...

Talk about angst...on top of angst!

I think I read in Amy’s blurb, or somewhere, “everyone deserves to be loved” and OMG, never a truer statement has been made! These characters make you love them, want to strangle them and even shed tears for them..

Such an emotional roller coaster of emotions!

Recommended!
Valerie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oy vey. This might be a very unpopular review because a lot of readers love Amy Lane. As do I. But I did not love this book. My all-time favorite MM romance, Beneath the Stain, was written by Amy, which makes it all the more difficult to say that Fall Through Spring was painfully boring.

I was quite looking forward to reading about main characters with bipolar disorder and overeating/weight issues. I have close family members with both conditions and I think Amy did a very good job portraying
Tori Thompson
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awwww.... so happy to catch up with the guys from the soccer team! I gave a re-listen to Winter Ball and Summer Lessons a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the release of Fall Through Spring so I was nice and current on the adventures of Skipper and Richie, and Mason and Terry. And I was reminded about the history of Dane and Carpenter.

These two ABSOLUTELY deserve to have a happy ending, and obviously they do get that in this book. But they have to earn it first.

Clay Carpenter has been
Xanthe
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I find that, from Amy Lane, you a pretty much guaranteed a interesting and enjoyable story and Fall Through Spring delivers. Two men with different struggles who find a connection with each other that comes to mean so much.
Dane lives with Bi Polar disorder and anxiety, relying heavily upon his family for reminders to eat, take his medication and to support him when he’s in a downward spiral of depression, verbal and physical outbursts. He’s now living with his brother and started back at college
Kitty
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can I just say - WOW!

Ok, so for starters, if you HAVEN'T read Winter Ball and Summer Lessons yet, do that FIRST.

For those of you who have already read those 2 books, you know how Dane and Mason came to meet all the guys, and how ALL their lives are entwined. You also know how Summer Lessons had the side story of what all was going on with Dane and Clay Carpenter. So THIS book revisits ALL of that, but this time through both Danes perception, and through Carpenters. Which means the book ISN'T a
Diane Pohn
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Neta
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book was so full of emotion, the characters were bursting with it. Clay and Dane have been a major part of book #2 and seeing the events of that book from their perspective was interesting and also satisfying in a way. I also think this is one of the most unique books that deal with mental illness, and I credit it to the author's real life experience (as per the author's note at the beginning) with a family member who suffers from mental illness.
Clay is a person we can all relate
Jess Gabriel
I woke up on 12/3 to an email that this book was out, and I had no idea it was coming out. I tried to be rational and finish the book I was reading first before starting this one, and I just couldn't. I had to start it immediately. Because CLAY and DANE!!!

I was concerned about the angst level after reading some of the other reviews (Amy Lane has the ability to rip me to shreds), but I DIDN'T feel that same angst. It may be because I'm a mixture of BOTH Clay and Dane, so none of what they were
Taya
Shelves: read-2-review, own-it
I was really excited to read this one. I love the hint of this relationship in the previous book. I was so excited to see that it was actually being release soon that I preorder it. Two days later I stumble on opportunity to read it sooner and I jump on it.

Dane and Carpenter are really damn sweet when they got it. The friendship to relationship was a believable journey. I was hoping for brief touches at things that happened in the previous book but from their perspective. I was bit surprised
Alex
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that are not only fantastic, but that actually truly affect you in real life. Fall Through Spring is one of those books. It opened my eyes at how people with similar issues to Clay and Dane struggle. Amy Lane does such a good job of building the characters, of making Clay and Dane into people I not only liked but felt like I knew and was friends with that I couldn’t help emphasizing with their struggles. I really was rooting for them to succeed when battling their demons and ...more
Belinda Zamora
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book deals with what could be heavy topics but it wasn't overwhelming or dark.
There is some mild angst, but it's very well dealt with.
Clay has had issues with his weight for quite a while and is determined to finally do something about it.
Dane has his own problem dealing with his Bipolar disorder which is why he feels as though he's too much trouble for someone to invest in as a partner.
They both have let their insecurities and self-doubts color their self perceptions.
What begins as a
Shannon
Shelves: arc, contemp, mm
This third book in Amy Lane’s series has everything you could hope for. There’s laughter (how can there not, we have Mason), tears and a whole bunch of happy snarky boys.
I loved coming back to this world. Seeing what happened to Dane through his eyes and Clay’s was heartbreaking. Amy takes mental illness and puts a human face on it. We can see it in both Clay and Dane. She treats it carefully and makes you think and still you root for both men.

I loved this book so so much. Her writing is
Alicia
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so grateful to the author for giving me a copy of this book. I'm not even remotely qualified to opine on the eating/weight issues (or the mental health issues), so I'll simply say that they appeared to me to be treated with empathy—as one would expect from Amy Lane.

The story was, as always, emotionally satisfying and expertly told, with great dollops of humor. I always end up wanting to take Amy's characters home and pet them and give them tea and cookies, and this was no exception. I
Jambrea Jones
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Amy Lane. I love these two characters. I think they might be 2 of my favorite. Clay and Dane were meant for each other.

Dane has some mental issues and Clay has some food issues. They help each other. They grow together. They are awesome and they have such a great support system. Dane worries that he is a burden, but he isn't. Clay worries that he is fat, but Dane loves him no matter what size he is.

This romance is a slow burn and it totally needs to be. It's a wonderful story everyone
Misty Nutt
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I waited for Dane and Carpenter for a while, and I was not disappointed. Dane's mental illness and Carpenter's body image issues are so real life. I was really able to connect with these characters more than usual because they are just down to earth, everyday guys. You do need to read this in order within the series for the best experience. I was sad to see these guys go. I hope to get a glimpse of them in future books.
CarolynAnne
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fall Through Spring is just as charming as the two earlier books in this series. I enjoyed seeing the couples from the earlier books. This one touches on mental health issues. As someone who is bipolar I think it is very well done. It's not always pretty, but its honest and real and very well written. There is a very satisfying HEA for everyone involved. I highly recommend this whole series. ...more
Beth
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy does it again. This is a excellent book, love Clay and Dane. I like how Amy writes what it is like to live with a mental disorder. We also get to check in with old friends. A great read.
Dionne
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I went into this book with great anticipation since I had pretty much wanted Dane and Carpenter to get together since they were first introduced early in the series. I was not disappointed. The love story between the main characters is a little slower burn than the other couples in the series but I feel like the pacing was perfect since the friendship had come before the relationship ever started. Before Carpenter and Dane could love each other, they had to learn to love themselves-or at least ...more
Alleson
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked that this one was from both perspectives. I think it helped me connect with both of the characters more. I reread the first two books, and still felt a little disconnected from the two that didn't get a voice, but not here.

Mental illness is always tough to read.
Kathy Johnson
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Winter Ball series, which is a MM contemporary romance. This book dealt with some difficult emotions and the author did a wonderful job. The characters were magnificent and the pace just right. The story had me laughing at times and crying at other times. Great story.
Cricket
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
12/3/2019
Erica Fisher
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fall through spring by Amy Lane was an ARC given to me for an honest review. I loved this book so much. Dane and Clay are so wonderful together. They try to show each other they are not defined by their insecurities. Dane with his Bipolar Diagnosis and Clay with his body image and emotional eating.. This is definitely a reread. I can only hope there are more to this series.
Teresa

Dane is bipolar and Clay has issues, but together the hold each other up. There were some really sweet parts interspersed with the relatively light angst. I liked seeing the rest of the gang as well as get Dane and Clay’s interpretation of Mason and Terry’s story. I thought the sensitive subjects were handled well and I really felt the couples connection. Definitely a good addition to the series.
Carlton
Dec 04, 2019

• The Christmas Deal
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Tallowwood
  • Manners & Mannerisms
  • In This Bed of Snowflakes We Lie
  • Hellion (415 Ink, #3)
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • Flash Rip
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Roxy's Recovery
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail ...more

Winter Ball (3 books)
  • Winter Ball (Winter Ball #1)
  • Summer Lessons (Winter Ball, #2)