Start by marking “Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)

Moontangled

(The Harwood Spellbook #2.5)

Take one ambitious politician and one determined magician with wildly different aims for their next meeting.

Add a secret betrothal, a family scandal, and a heaping of dangerous fey magic in an enchanted wood...and watch the sparks fly!

For just one moonlit, memorable night, Thornfell College of Magic has flung open its doors, inviting guests from around the nation to an
Published February 3rd 2020 by Five Fathoms Press

To ask other readers questions about Moontangled, please sign up.
Michele You don't absolutely have to - but I highly recommend the previous three tales because they are brilliant, thought-provoking, and full of fascinating…moreYou don't absolutely have to - but I highly recommend the previous three tales because they are brilliant, thought-provoking, and full of fascinating characters. I mean, who doesn't want to read a series of tales where women are the rulers because men are considered 'too emotional' to rule, and where the societal gender stereotypes are turned on their heads?(less)

Start your review of Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Finally, Miss Banks and Miss Fennell get their own novella - and it was SO much fun to write! I love these characters and this world. (And I loooove the gorgeous cover by Ravven, too!)

The ebook is available NOW at Amazon, Kobo, B&N, iBooks and Smashwords.

And it's out in gorgeous paperback, too! At the B&N site, you can already see the ebook and paperback editions linked neatly together. Sadly, Amazon hasn't yet worked out that they really are the same book (sigh!), but it is available in
We've met both Juliana and Caroline before so I'd highly recommend reading the previous books in the series before this novella so that you're familiar with their history. Caroline is an aspiring politician with a bright future ahead of her but only if she follows the tradition of marrying a gentleman magician. The slight hitch in that is that she is madly in love with Juliana and the two are secretly engaged. Juliana was one of the first students to join the first magic school for women, the ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
This was a short one. A brief interlude back into the world.

It takes place during one night. Juliana is studying to become a magician. In a world where only men become magicians. She was secretly engaged to Caroline, who wants to become a politician. And a politician can only marry a magician. So if they want to be together, this is the path they must take.

But because of events in book 2 Caroline path to stardom looks grim, and she does not want to take Juliana down with her. Omg people, you are
Justine
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted to I Should Read That

I am not proud to admit that I let out a little squeak of delight when I found out that Juliana and Caroline were getting their own novella. Their love story and secret engagement has been playing out in the background for too long! I’m a sucker for secret fiances and star-crossed lovers, so I knew I would love this before I even opened it up.

Burgis does a fantastic job of
Artur Nowrot
Magic! Friendship! Faeries! Dorky lesbians being hopelessly in love! Drama!!!

Another wonderful return to magical Angland, this time focusing on Miss Fennell and Miss Banks – two characters whom I wanted to read more about ever since their first appearance in Snowspelled. Now finally we get their story and it’s everything I could have asked for.

The tumultous events of Thornbound affected their relationship, and now, meeting for the first time in months, sparks fly in more ways then one. While
Iona Sharma
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
Lovely, gentle f/f romance, with delicious misunderstandings.
Llinos
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f, lgbtq, romance
I enjoyed this novella SO MUCH. I've been desperate since Snowspelled came out to learn more about Miss Fennell and Miss Banks and this was so worth the wait! But I think this would still be delightful even without having read the rest of the series.

Moontangled has a bit of everything I love in a romance - angst, yearning, opposites attract, sweetness with an undercurrent of passion, characters who learn and grow together, floofy dresses, dramatic kissing, characters trying to be noble and
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I am so happy to continue the Harwood Spellbook series . Moontangled is a novella which is a gift from the author to readers. I would not call it a standalone; you need to read the series to know the characters and what lead the couple to this point. The overall series arc about women practicing magic and various political issues
Heather Jones
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Juliana Banks and Caroline Fennell have been secretly engaged for...well, for the last couple books, but there’s one major obstacle to their love. No, not the fact that they’re both women, but the fact that in order to have a successful career as part of the ruling Boudiccate of Angland, Caroline must marry a magician. And until the establishment of the Thornfell (Women’s) College of Magic, only men were magicians. Now that Juliana is a star pupil at Thornfell, why has Caroline grown cold and ...more
IsagelCharles
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[I received an Advance Reading Copy of this novella via the author’s mailing list in exchange for an honest review.]
I adore The Harwood Spellbook series and I loved seeing more of this f/f couple who have been supporting characters in the earlier books. I found Juliana’s viewpoint in particular very easy to identify with; as always the psychology behind the romance feels very genuine. A lovely magical adventure that warmed my heart - I can’t wait to see what any future books in this universe
Jess
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wish this had been a little longer, but I really liked the relationship in trouble/working together against a common enemy parts. I hope they keep getting good cameos in whatever works come next in the series.
Sharade
Review to come soon! Sweet, romantic lil' story :)
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
With big wigs in attendance for a formal ball scheduled at the Thornfell College of Magic, Juliana is excited to finally see the love of her live, and secret fiancee, Caroline. It’s been three months since Juliana and Caroline were together. It was then that Caroline’s aunt was utterly disgraced and cast out of the Boudiccate, shaming Caroline in the process. Since that moment, Caroline has kept a cool distance from Juliana, trying to protect her from the shame of her aunt’s betrayal.

c, (½ of readsrainbow)
maybe i love caroline fennell and juliana banks with my whole heart

Five Reasons You Should Read This Book

Rep: wlw mcs, trans side character

Galley provided by Stephanie Burgis
Patrick
When I picked this book up, I didn’t realize it was part of a series or that it was a novella. I just got it on a whim because it sounded interesting and I felt like a light-hearted book. I generally don’t like novellas and would probably have enjoyed this more had I been familiar with the series, but since that was my mistake in being so hasty, I decided to just try and enjoy it anyway.

Ultimately I was a bit surprised with this book given my above reservations. Even without knowing the world
El
Thanks to Stephanie Burgis for an Advanced Reader's Copy of this lovely novella.

Full review available on my blog: https://inkandplasma.wordpress.com/20...

I really enjoyed this. I read it curled up on the sofa on a chilly afternoon and it was the perfect short, romantic read. I'm usually pretty fussy about my romances, I'm aro and personally I find I'm easy made uncomfortable by over-the-top romance. I didn't get that in this novella, and it meant I could get invested in their relationship.

I
Eshana Ranasinghe
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a short and sweet novella and I had a blast the whole way through. There was a bit of the miscommunication trope but it didn't bother me at all. The world and the magic was really interesting and whimsical. I was a bit confused at times about events that happened in previous stories since I jumped straight into this one. I'd probably recommend reading the story in order if you can but it didn't ruin the story by any means. I still had lots of fun and the friendship in the story was ...more
Julia
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Stephanie Burgis’ “Moontangled” novella is just lovely. We finally get the story between Miss Fennell and Miss Banks. One is feeling the consequences from the “Thornbound” revelations and the other is finally finding her family at Thornfell. I loved the portrayal of the students' friendship and how we see their progression from their initial arrival at the school. The fey appear in all their nature – dangerous, creepy and yet vulnerable. This isn’t quite as standalone as other novellas. I’d ...more
KJ
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great story, just as all the novellas in this series have been so far. As you can see, I inhaled it in a day and found it sweet and charming-- but I can't quite bring myself to rate it a full five stars because the plot kicks off with one of my least favorite relationship tropes, and while it's redeemed by the end I still found the beginning difficult to read. Still, I can wholeheartedly recommend both this story and the series as a whole.
Roberta
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful novella in the Harwood Spellbook series from Stephanie Burgis. I’ve been looking forward to this one, and I wasn’t disappointed. It contains all the elements I love about this series: the magic, friendship, the fey, romance, and a happy ending of course. I can’t really say any more without giving away plot points. Oh, and I love the cover too. Highly recommended.

I was given a free ARC copy of this book. My opinions are (as always) my own.
Jaime Moyer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel really lucky that I got to read this novella before the official release date. MOONTANGLED is the third Harwood Spellbook Novella, and the third one I've read. Stephanie Burgis' books are a big reason I've become a fan of romantic fantasy.

This novella had everything I could ask for: strong female protagonists, a misunderstanding that leads to danger, threatening Fae, magic and romance and a HEA ending.

I truly enjoy these novellas. I hope the series continues!
Maddalena
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Stephanie Burgis for reaching out to me and asking to read and review her latest novella in the Harwood Spellbook series: I’m always happy for any new story in this delightful saga, my only complaint being that this time it was a short one, and it ended far too soon…

The Harwood Spellbook sequence focuses on a Regency era alternate version of Britain where history diverged from the one we know when Queen Boudicca found a way to defeat the Roman invaders by allying herself with a
Tammy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A sparkling and witty story set in Stephanie Burgis’s Harwood Spellbook series, full of romance and magic.

Stephanie Burgis’ Harwood Spellbook series is a delight, and each new novel or novella expands on her world by focusing on different characters and situations. I’ll admit I’m a little behind on this series, but that didn
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, read-2020
In this novella we return to Thornfell and the magically-gifted Juliana Banks who, after months of letters that are lacking their usual zest, finally gets to see her secret fiancée, the politician Caroline Fennell.

As a reminder, in this world men are thought to be emotionally unsuitable for politics and are generally thought more suited to magic. Thus, it's generally women in politics who often seek mage husbands who can assist with helpful magic for various things like running the house and
Lauren loves llamas
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m one of the many readers who’s been campaigning for an HEA for Miss Banks and Miss Fennell (aka Juliana and Caroline) since we first met them, and I am oh so happy this book is finally here! This novella is set not too long after the events of Thornbound, and since it references several events that happened in that book, I wouldn’t recommend reading it without having read that book.

“She’d been so young when her family had taught her not to expect any affection to last. But she’d come here to
Xanthe
I jumped at the chance to get an advanced copy of the latest novella set in Stephanie Burgis’s alternate-Regency-England-with-magic sequence because I’ve enjoyed every installment so far and have already pre-ordered this one. Each one, in addition to being stories of magic and power, is also a love story, and in this novella the ladies get their due. Present in the background of the previous installments, Juliana Banks, now an magician in training, and her love Caroline Fennell, rising ...more
Diane
I received an ARC of this novella free in exchange for an honest review, and I have to start by apologizing for not getting to it sooner. It certainly was no hardship once I got started. :-)

The writing quality is fine as ever, the different cultural gender assumptions of this well-drawn magical AU are still interesting, the characters (formerly secondaries, here elevated to take fleshed-out center stage, by popular demand) are appealing and sympathetic, and it was remarkably error-free already
Robin
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I received this arc from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This novella is set a year after the events that happened in Thornbound and it follows Juliana Banks and Caroline Fennell, who are two characters we meet in the fist two books in the series. I have been super intrigued about their relationship in the first two books as it is a f/f romance, so I love that we got a novella about them and their relationship!

I really enjoyed my time reading this book.
I am starting to
Katrina
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novella fits right into the Harwood Spellbook cycle: it’s a delicious combination of an alternate Regency fantasy world and romance. These books have ended up high on my go-to list for comfort (re-)reads and I can’t recommend them enough.

Juliana, a brilliant student at the Thornfell College of Magic, and Caroline, up-and-coming politician in the Angland-ruling Boudiccate, are perfect for each other. Mostly.

Of course, they’ve had to keep their engagement a secret, because while politicians
Rachel
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of Moontangled in exchange for a review - a very belated review, at this point, and I'm so sorry to Ms. Burgis.
I liked Moontangled but I didn't love it. A number of my quibbles about it are, however, firmly rooted in my willful misunderstanding of the novella. First - it's a *novella*. The events take place over one evening. Finding the story rushed because it lacks the pacing of a novel is absurd.
Second - it's a novella with new adult protagonists. It reads very new
« previous 1 3 next »

• Paladin's Grace
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • Sword Dance
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Christmas Every Day
  • Redressed (The Turners, # 3.6)
  • Dead Queen Walking
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Strange Love (Galactic Love #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Snow Day (Touchstone Book 6)
  • A Duet for Invisible Strings
  • An Unexpected Truth (Alastair Stone Chronicles)
  • Cape Grace (Shaman's Tales From the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 2)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • The Widow of Rose House
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Mr X", and our sweet (and extremely vocal) tabby cat, Pebbles. I write fun, funny MG fantasy novels (most recently The Princess who Flew with Dragons) and wildly romantic adult historical fantasy novels and novellas (most recently Thornbound).

To get early sneak peeks at new

The Harwood Spellbook (2 books)
  • Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook, #1)
  • Thornbound