Start by marking “The House Without A Key” as Want to Read:
The House Without A Key

The House Without A Key

But when a second 17-year-old girl from a local, affluent family turns
Published October 8th 2019 by Wilted Lilly L.L.C. (first published October 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The House Without A Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House Without A Key

Start your review of The House Without A Key
Randi (randi_reads)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was interesting and crazy and I was totally into it and seeing how it all played out. But, saying this, there were still parts where I was very confused. Without going into two much plot detail, two teenage girls, Maddy and Allegra, disappear from their homes; one is not really noticed she is gone and the other one's mother is all over the media/police about her disappearance.

The prologue was so interesting and catchy, but after reading the rest of the story, it didn't really fit. I a
Christina
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two teen girls - one from a life of luxury and privilege, the other from the wrong side of the tracks. They don't know each other but they both suddenly go missing. Maddy's dad suspects she ran away from his abusive alcoholic rages. Allegra's parents are frantically working with police to bring their daughter home. Are they runaways or did something more sinister happen? The truth is more terrible than you can imagine. Readers should be aware, this book deals with some difficult themes like abus ...more
Stephanie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the story of two teenagers, Allegra and Madeleine, who come from opposite ends of the economic spectrum. Allegra is from a wealthy, seemingly well put together upper-class family while Madeline lives on the wrong side of the tracks with her alcoholic father. The main plot is heavy and centres around human trafficking. This is not a subject that is written about a lot in fiction and I applaud Marin Montgomery for tackling such a heavy topic. The plot intrigued me and kept me reading but t ...more
Mandi Brimm
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given an e-copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest review.
The subject matter of this novel is incredibly hard to read, but also incredibly important to discuss. Although there is violence, the sexual imagery is minimal, and I appreciate MM was able to write this topic with grace. I hope her novel can start some much needed conversations about human trafficking.
It is written from multiple points of view, which usually doesn’t leave much to the imagination, but the author
Cath
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book contains a storyline that some may find disturbing. One teenage girl, Maddy, goes missing with her dad’s truck. It’s thought that she has run off with her boyfriend Dane. Her dad, Brian, has had to look after her alone since her other left him and he is not going to win any awards for being a good parent. He is an alcoholic that likes to use his fists a bit too readily and never wanted a daughter, as he makes plain to Maddy, all the time. Only a visit from a policeman, rather than the ...more
Deanna
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow this story took me on such a crazy wild ride! I was overall very impressed!

This story is about two girls (Madeline & Allegra) who seemingly have nothing in common and zero ties to each other. They get kidnapped and taken to a house where they live with other girls who are apart of a sex trafficking ring. This is obviously horrible and made my stomach turn at times just thinking about these poor young ladies (and also the girls it really happens to everyday).

It bothered me how long it t
Jessica Kaney
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
The house without a key
SYNOPSIS: When 17-year-old Maddy Pruitt vanishes from her sleepy town, word on the street is that she ran away. The daughter of an abusive alcoholic with a quick temper, she had every reason to leave in search of something better, and everyone who knew Maddy knew the type of company she kept wasn’t always ideal.
But when a second 17-year-old girl from a local, affluent family turns up missing shortly after Maddy’s disappearance, the circumstances become suspicious. E
Justkeepreading85
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just want to start off by thanking Marin Montgomery for the gifted copy of this title in exchange for an honest review!

Let’s do this!

17 year old Maddy Pruitt has a horrible home life. Her dad is a raging alcoholic who makes his feelings of how much he doesn’t want her very well known, not only with words but with fists. She has a 19 year old boyfriend whom she is very much in love with and is her only sense of happiness.

When her boyfriend surprises her with a pai
Kate (kate_reads_)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Writing a thriller must feel like a fine balance to get all the elements just right - it has to be compelling and fast moving, keeping the reader wanting to see what's going to happen next! It also has to be complicated enough that the reader can't guess the ending right from the start - but not so convoluted that the ending is overly confusing or unbelievable. If there isn't a twist readers feel let down but if the twist is too unbelievable they will say it would have been better without. Thril ...more
Booksandcoffeepleasemx
“This must be what prision is like. Maybe worse. I’m in it without my consent, guilty of what, I don’t know.”

Seventeen year old Maddy is missing, word on the street is that she ran away. Her dad is an abusive alcoholic with a quick temper, so she had a good reason to leave. But when the daughter of an affluent family turns up missing shortly after, the circumstances become suspicious. And even when the girls move in very diferent circles they have more in common than anyone could’ve
Heather Walker
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, this book was a good read and I will definitely watch for more books from Marin Montgomery but I have to admit, there was a lot of confusion after reading this.

To begin, the synopsis listed on goodreads or amazon doesn't match the plot at all. Maddy does not disappear before Allegra so "but when a second girl goes missing..." doesn't actually make sense when you begin to read. In fact, most of the story is told from Allegra and surrounds her- Maddy is a minor character.

This book does
Reading_is_my_yoga
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Deep down, maybe she knew she'd never make it far, dead or alive."
~
"The House Without a Key" was a brilliant read. It was gripping from beginning to end and stopping became nearly impossible.
~
It's a story about two teenage girls being abducted and those closest to them trying to get them back. The girls don't seem to have anything in common at first but their connection becomes clear over the course of the book. The story is chilling, heartbreaking and disturbing. I can'
Gillian Nolan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The House Without a Key by Marin Montgomery 🖤
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
When 17 year old Maddie disappears everyone believes she has escaped her alcoholic father and has left for a better life. But when a second teenager vanishes, from a much more affluent family, the Police start to take things more seriously. With the clock ticking, the girls families begin a frantic search that becomes darker and more disturbing than they could ever imagined.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Carola
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars

First I want to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall this story was interesting and definitly a wild ride!
This book has some pretty dark topics and can trigger some heavy emotions, if you are not prepared for it.
The book makes you think about things that could technically happen to anyone on the street, which is kinda disturbing, but also good to be aware of. Also, it makes you aware of t
Kenzi Butler
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
The plot and subject matter of this book were both heavy and good. I was super interested the entire time, and couldn’t put it down, until the very end. The end had me saying, “what!?”, but not in a good way. I was beyond confused. The plot holes were EVERYWHERE. The book kind of just ended, without telling us how it actually happened. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I was left confused and unsatisfied. This book had such potential but fell very short. There were also multiple grammatical er ...more
Ashley
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here we follow Maddy Pruitt, and Allegra Atwater after they have gone missing. But the catch is, neither girl knows each other. Maddy from a very poor family, Allegra from one of the richest. As the town, the police and their parents are trying to find their daughters, we start to see this case isn’t exactly what you thought. As secrets and lies come out, the clock is ticking to find these girls. Where are they? Somewhere more terrible then you could ever imagine. 🗝 As much of a crazy, psycholog ...more
Avid (Maria) Reader
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: november-2019
Wow, Wow!.

Maddy and Allegra are two young girls from two different worlds, but whose lives intertwined in the most unexpected way.

Maddy comes from a single family home. Living with her alcoholic dad becomes unbearable and so when she goes missing, it does not ring any bells to him.
Allegra is from a wealthy family. She couldn’t ask for a better life. Things heads south for both girls when they are both kidnap.

This story kept me sliding the pages of my e-reader to se
The Traveller Of Books Zainub
The story of two seventeen year old’s who are as different as can be but share a similar tragic experience.
Maddy is made to feel unwanted and unloved by her dad, whereas Allegra feels stifled by her father’s strict rules and regulations.
Unexplainable disappearances and shady businesses form the crux of this story that deals with the issue of human trafficking.
..🔑
Though the idea behind the book is impressive I’d say the execution could have been very much improved.
Th
Calista Andrechek
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Marin Montgomery for allowing me to have a free e-copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the beginning of this novel and the lead up into all the drama that is to come. I really enjoyed the idea behind this novel, but I did find that the middle of this novel dragged a little bit, but it makes up for it in the ending. There are a lot of twists in this novel and I enjoyed that I disliked so many of the characters. I was really shocked by where
Christine Moore
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was quite a thriller that deals with difficult issues of alcoholism, kidnapping, and human trafficking. Maddy lives at home with her alcoholic father who doesn't care about her. She disappears and her father doesn't even realize she is gone. When wealthy well loved by her parents Allegra is missing, her parents involve the police. The truth of what really happens to the girls is worst than a nightmare. This book is told through multiple points of view which I loved as you get the entir ...more
Amanda
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
"Another lock, another key, another prison."

Madeline and Allegra live separate, very different lives until they both missing. Their families must their reveal their past and present lives to find out what has happened to them. Are their disappearances linked? If so, in what way?

This book was good. It kept me wondering how it was going to end. However I wasn't in a rush to get the answers. I wasn't able to really connect to any of the characters. In the end I did enjoy the overall story.
Tawna
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I have to admit, I was initially confused by the storyline in this book. It had an intriguing start, and then seemed to veer down a different path. I was still interested to see where it went, so I continued reading it, and it eventually started to make more sense.
There were some unexpected twists and the ending was not at all what I’d anticipated.
Overall, it was an entertaining read.
Thank you to the author, Marin Montgomery, for sending me this ARC in exchange for my review.
Pinki Jana
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bev
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
This story does move back and forth between characters. At first, I was rather annoyed by this, but I got used to it. The story is about a very dysfunctional family and that's putting it mildly! Each character learns a little bit about themselves and others around them...both good and bad. To say this story is twisted is pretty much dead on! I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from Hidden Gems.
Farah
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Intriguing and fast paced, this book dealt with some very serious issues including sex trafficking, drugs and abuse. Written from multiple POV’s, I do feel one missing girl featured a lot more than the other which made the ending a bit hard to tie together. All in all though, this was a twisted thriller which I enjoyed.

Thank you to the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Mirza Baig
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of this one right from the author herself..and oh my what a ride!! Intense, brutal and unpredictable..with a twist at the end I never saw coming..while the Sex trafficking angle and the details with the operation may feel a bit harrowing for a few..the overall experience is worth it to understand what the protagonists are up against..Author Marin Montgomery deserves all the love for this one 👏
kk
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book started really strong. Lots of mystery and suspense with great twists and turns that will keep you at the edge of your seat.
Compared to the rest of the book, the first ending left much to be desired. Luckily, author decided to update the ending and it was much better written.
Good read recommended for all thriller seekers.

I received an advanced copy of this book from HiddenGems and am voluntarily leaving my honest review.
Angel White
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐⭐⭐💫 (rounded to a 4)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this one. I have children and it is terrifying to imagine one of them going through this type of situation. This was well written and had an easy flow to it despite the difficult topic covered. With multiple POVs there weren't many twists or secrets held quiet, however that did not take away from the underlying story itself. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
caleandjenn
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read!!

A House Without A Key is an absolute must read!! Just when you think you know what’s going to happen there is a new twist. It kept me on the edge of my seat or should I say fingertip. I read on iPhone kindle app! Will most definitely read all of this authors other books!!!
Noura Al Ebrahim
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the story very much .. I was a bit confused at the beginning when I continued reading i was so attached I couldn’t put the book down and wanted to know what happens at the end. I recommend reading this book.