Start by marking “Never Have I Ever” as Want to Read:
Never Have I Ever

Never Have I Ever

Never Have I Ever Been Punished For What I Have Done . . .

Sam is doing well in her career, she has a husband and a baby and life is going well. That is until she gets the note through her door that stops her heart in her chest. Never Have I Ever Been Punished For What I Have Done.

Sam is catapulted back to those teenage years spent with her best friends, teasing out each
Kindle Edition
Published December 12th 2019 by Hodder & Stoughton

Start your review of Never Have I Ever
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I think briefly about screwing up the letter, shoving it in the recycling box; even burning it. But I know curiosity alone won't allow me to do that, and it could be nothing. I am probably overreacting again. I find myself muttering 'I reject fear,' just like Lindy does.

There must be a logical explanation.

Perhaps someone from school has seen me in town. Or maybe they even live near my new house, have seen me coming and going? But why not come up to me, like Michael had? Maybe they
Lou
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Have I Ever is a really solid mix of captivating, sinister storyline, it reminded me a lot of books such as The Chalk Man although not quite as accomplished, and non-taxing, easy to follow and race through narrative; a great combination for the masses to devour for sure. It centres around a game of yep, you guessed it, Never Have I Ever that resulted in a twisted set of circumstances occurring amongst a group of friends many years ago when they were all young and feckless. Then Samantha, ...more
Louise Wilson
Sam returns to the hometown she left when she was a teenager. Shes it a successful author looking for a fresh start after a few tough years with her husband and baby son. But then the anonymous letters start, bringing up the mistakes she was desperate to leave behind.

The story is set in Ilfracombe, Devon. I did not like Sam. She came across as a bully. We don't get a ,ot of information on her husband. Sam and her friends had played the game never have I ever when they were teenagers. The dares
Mark
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

20 years ago
4 girls played ‘Never have I Ever’
It started as fun
A laugh, a joke
It ended in death

Present day and Sam, one of the 4, returns to Ilfracombe, hoping the past is the past and no ghosts linger
Of course, its not and of course they do

She soon starts to receive cryptic ‘Never have I/you ever’ notes and her life starts to become another game, but this time a game of survival

I loved the setting in Devon, fab descriptions of Ilfracombe and the surrounding areas, especially pleasing was the
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
48405294._SY475_-1.jpg

So this started out so well then settled slightly losing momentum and then the ending kind of rescued things a tad, so mixed bag from me really.
So this story is told from sams Pov a successful author who moves back to Ilfracombe her childhood stomping grounds with her husband and son.
I liked that it was set in Devon and the author has done their homework well, I recognised many place names from our family holidays including the Wetherspoons pub, which was nice.
So there's really two-story threads
Shalini
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Ah, this book pulled and pushed me outta the prose continually. I felt like a castaway, trying to swim the waves. The suspense to waxed and waned in different pages.

A childhood game played between 4 teenage girls had disastrous results which was hinted at throughout the book by Sam, a writer who had shifted back home with her husband and baby boy. Notes started appearing and her mind kept going to the past which her mind had blanked out.

My first book by author Lucy V. Hay, I was so attracted to
peggy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another tale of a game gone wrong but OMG WHAT A BOOK!!!!!!
Hooked from the first page and read in one sitting. A massive secret and so many lies. This read had me tapping my kindle like a demented wood pecker, at times literally shouting at the characters. This book has everything I want and more. So highly recommended.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Jessica
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
This review will appear on my site on December 3, 2019.
~~~~
The book description and gorgeous cover is what pulled me to this book. And then the protagonist Samantha (Sam) was a teenager in the 1990s like I was (though Sam is just a couple of years older than me.) I identified with Sam on that part and enjoyed the 90s references that were used in the novel.

Now an adult and published author writing under a pseudonym, Sam and her
Energy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I had to DNF this.
The tenses are all over the place, something typical of a first, self-published book, and I'm baffled this has slipped by an editor's desk. The main character Sam is repeatedly all over the place. Multiple times each chapter we had to read of her decision to not tell her husband the truth of what was going on, and while I was mildly curious about what was going on, it was clear we were never going to get there. She's pretty awful to her husband without a reason.

The inner
Caroline Kelly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare Moore
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.
Sam and her friends used to play a game called never have I ever which is a game of dares. The game goes wrong on Sams last day in Ilfracombe and she thinks she can leave it all behind. However when she returns to Ilfracombe 23 years after she left her past catches up with her.
Lisa Jeffers
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam has just moved back to her childhood village with her husband and young son.
Something happened years ago before she left which relates to a twisted game of never have I ever and the story follows sam as she deals with the present threat and remembers the past.
it kept me intrigued throughout and I enjoyed the plot however I am not a fan of Sam! - I guess that’s kind of the point though? ... interesting story and I enjoyed the fact that Sam was a writer. I would probably actually read the
Jen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-challenge
Well this is an interesting read. With an unreliable narrator and the knowledge that something happened in her past, if not the exact what, author LV Hay keeps readers guessing to the very end as to just what may have happened in protagonist, Samantha's, misspent youth. I don't think anyone is a stranger to the concept of the 'Never Have I Ever' game, although I don't recall ever having played it. This time around though Sam and her school friends ramp it up into a kind of jeopardy laden truth ...more
Snoakes
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-or-blagged
Sam, her husband Mo and their son Caleb have relocated from London to Ilfracombe, Sam's childhood home. Once there, Sam's past returns to haunt her. When she was a teenager her gang of friends were obsessed withNever Have I Ever - a game where players dare one another to do something they've never done before. It startedfairly innocuously with dares to shoplift or kiss a boy, but teenage girls being what they are, the game soon got out of hand becoming increasingly vindictive and bullying. And ...more
Bridget
Lucy V. Hay's début is an engrossing and entertaining, gripping drama-style thriller of deceit, lies, fecklessness, and hidden truths.

Based on the game of Never Have I Ever, the book focuses on a macabre set of circumstances that occurred amongst a group of friends years ago when they were all young and thoughtless. Samantha (Sam), a successful author, is also one of the girls who played the twisted game on that fateful day over two decades ago. She decides to return to her childhood town of
Alina
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
New mother, happily married and successful writer - three remarks that perfectly describe our feisty main character - Samantha. The story begins with her recent move from busy and noisy London back to her home town - Ilfracombe. The relocation went nice and smooth, her son Caleb and husband Mo seem to adjust and favor the new home. And so did Sam, until old ghosts started to make a fresh appearance in her new life.

Never Have I Ever Been Punished For What I Have Done...

Seriously, if I would ever
Tracy Wood
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
It is said you should never go back, and it seems in Samantha's case returning to Ilfracombe is only compounding mistakes made in the past. Having left Devon in her teens she is now back, married to Mo and with a little boy called Caleb. She is also now a successful crime novelist who takes her and her family's privacy very seriously. So when anonymous notes start arriving at her new home reminding her of something which happened in her past she sees things begin to unravel before her eyes.

Erica Ajayi
I had some high hopes for this book after reading the synopsis. The theme seemed to be something that would keep your attention from start to finish. Unfortunately, the book fell a little short for me. It was not a bad read, but was not something I couldn’t put down.

The story line was fine and the author did a good job of giving you insight in to the main character. One issue for me was that the main character was not like able. I didn’t care to root for her and honestly did not get concerned
Kath Middleton
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story that flips between current events and those in teenage years. Samantha, returned to her home town, feels she’s being persecuted by someone who knows her part in their games of ‘Never Have I Ever’. It becomes obvious that there’s a big secret and that it would destroy Samantha if it were found out. She was a character I couldn’t warm to and her husband, Mo, felt like a shadowy figure. I didn’t feel I knew him, or much about what their original attraction was. They felt like an ...more
Jen
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twenty years ago, four friends started playing a game of Never Have I Ever that began as mean and cruel but may have ended In a fatality. After returning to her home town, San begins receiving letters that seem to tease that someone knows about their game and Sam is certain the person responsible was her childhood tormentor. Letters continue to arrive while Sam digs into her past and tries to reconnect with her old friends.

This is the first book by Lucy Hay that I have read and I enjoyed the
Jenna Nelson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a very jumpy, shocking and creepy read. This was written very well apart from the beginning. It took it's time to get into the story and couldnt wait to get to the better bits. Once it got going it came alive. The characters were exactly how they should of been and of course I was suspicious of everyone. A childhood friendship that has a dark secret only they know and it comes back to haunt them. But who is behind it all? A good read if you like the jumpy/creepy bits
Melissa Young
The pretense of the book is around the old teen game ‘Never Have I Ever”. The girls bring it to another level thinking up the most awful things that they can dare each other to do and the consequences for refusing are far worse!
Samantha has a great life with her husband and new baby and she is an author of a popular mystery series which allows her to be home with her son. Samantha has decided that the busy life of London is not good for a child and has moved back to Ilfracombe, her childhood
Jacqueline  sharp
Sam is a successful mystery writer, she has a loving husband Mo, and a toddler Caleb, who was conceived through IVF which has put a strain on the marriage, the sex life, and the finances. They move back to Sam’s home seaside town of Ilfracombe, a place she left 23 years earlier. The move goes smoothly Mo and Caleb seeming to adapt quickly to being away from the hustle and bustle of London. Living in Ilfracombe is also much cheaper than London.

Sam has a deadline for her new book it’s due to be
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had this in my ‘to read’ list for ages. It sounded right up my street. Unfortunately it wasn’t quite as good as I had anticipated. The story itself was good. The writing style was not for me.

Sam and her husband move back to her childhood town of Ilfracombe, Devon from London with their baby. After a financially stressful few years. Sam is a successful author having written a series of detective novels.

When a letter arrives saying sending Sam back in to a spiral about a game her and her
Angie F
This was quite an original plot and being eager to find out what had actually gone on between the women all those years ago kept me turning the pages. However the fact that I just couldn't warm to any of the characters, with the possible exception of Sam's mum Lindy, means I felt I had to hold back a star.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
3.25 stars out of 5

Thank you to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for allowing me to read an advanced cop on this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Sam,her husband Mo and their toddler Caleb move have recently moved back to her seaside home town after 23 years. She should be overjoyed. After all she has an understanding and kind husband and a child that they went through so much to have. She is also a successful mystery writer. For anyone looking in from the outside she has a wonderful
Sandra Leivesley
What starts as a fun game between 4 teenagers becomes something much more sinister!

This book had me hooked from the beginning. It is set in Ilfracombe, where I had a family holiday about 30 years ago, and the descriptions of the area made me want to go back! I loved the fact that Sam, the protagonist, was a crime writer too, though I didn’t really like her very much.

The story was interesting though, and made me want to keep listening, even when I should have been sleeping, to find out just
Linda
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psychological thriller with a really messed up heroine: not my cup of tea
This story had potential with its theme of mean girls and sins of the past resurfacing to threaten their present, but its execution had issues. I felt it broke the thriller tension because it dragged on in too many scenes and my attention flagged accordingly. The story's big mystery also took too long to reveal; I lost interest along the way. But maybe the biggest issue was the heroine. She was all over the place and I
Amy
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely enjoy the Mystery/Thriller genre. This book not so much. The premise for this book is fantastic. A group of teen girls twisting the game, Never Have I Ever, with dire consequences. What is there not to love? Unfortunately for me, a lot. This book was not my exact cup of tea.

The main character, Samantha, is manipulative, self-absorbed, and infantile. She is unhappy with how she treats her husband and continues to treat him badly. She adores her son, yet he is with her mother through
Cheryl
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think we have all played the game, Never Have I Ever. Yet, the version that most of us played was probably on the "mild" side. In this book, Sam and her friends played a more "riskier" version that was a cross between Never Have I Ever and Dare. Things started out innocently but quickly escalated to things like breaking into the school, pranks on people, etc.

Sam is fine. If the things that were not happening to her, she would have been just another person. Not really that intriguing. She did

• The Perfect Mother
  • She
  • Mr. Nobody
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Dilemma
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • When Stars Will Shine: Helping Our Heroes, One Page At A Time
  • I Will Make You Pay
Lucy V. Hay script editor and blogger who helps writers via her Bang2write consultancy. She is the associate producer of Brit Thrillers DEVIATION (2012) and ASSASSIN (2015), both starring Danny Dyer. Lucy is also head reader for The London Screenwriters' Festival. Lucy is also an author, writing both screenwriting books and crime fiction. Check out her website.