Start by marking “It's Not PMS, It's You” as Want to Read:
It's Not PMS, It's You

It's Not PMS, It's You

“Romantic Comedy of the Year!”
“I loved every second of this book!”
“Warning: This author causes book hangovers.”
“Oh my. Be still my heart.”
“Laugh out loud of epic proportions.”
“Loved it. Still laughing.”

Ruth “Ruthless” Harper is on the verge of becoming managing partner at her all-male consulting firm and she won’t let anything stand in her way. That includes men,
Published October 31st 2019

To ask other readers questions about It's Not PMS, It's You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not PMS, It's You

Start your review of It's Not PMS, It's You
DJ Sakata
Shelves: romantic-comedy
Favorite Quotes:

…like me, she wouldn’t take crap from male colleagues who thought they could do or say whatever they wanted just because they were packing two olives and a cocktail weenie in their shorts.

Stewart was right next to him, a cocky grin on his face like he had just found out his penis was two inches long instead of one.

Run, you fool! There’s a chance you are going to be killed! Never call a woman wedgie girl!

There are certain things that women ask men that are problematic and have to
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Shelves: romance, humour, blog-tour
I really enjoyed this romantic comedy. I was laughing from the first chapter and when I read the author's comments that the situation in that chapter was based on a real event in his wife's life, I laughed even more. Don't get me wrong, this is not just a comedy, there are some very serious issues dealt with in this book as well.

Ruth Harper is a woman who is quite happy with her life. She is a workaholic, single and driven to move up in her company. She has one friend, Dee, who also happens to
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Do we think I can get through at least one review of Amooi’s books without gushing?? Erm…that would be a big fat NO! How can I not?! If you have read my other reviews of his books you will I am constantly applauding the way he can get into a woman’s head. He just well gets its! In his latest book, it is no different! And I am so excited to be one of the bloggers to kick off the tour!!

I always get a book hangover from his books, they make me feel so happy and they are always about finding a happy
Caitlyn Lynch
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK, I’m gonna call it; I’ve finally found the unicorn. The male author who can write a romance novel and make the heroine believable and funny. Not only that but in Ruth Harper, Rich Amooi has created a genuinely relatable heroine; Ruth is brilliant, successful, driven and beautiful - and a hot mess in her personal life. A professional perfectionist workaholic, she’s 45 and just starting to realize she’s letting life pass her by in her race to the top. Meeting Nick, a landscape gardener who’s ...more
Snow
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was funny, romantic and sweet...and pretty PG...LOL

I was honestly surprised how much I enjoyed it without the explicit sex...LOL

(damn, I must not be feeling right...)

anyway, it's smth you'll enjoy no matter the preference *wink*
Lisa Mandina
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've really become a fan of this author after the last two that I read and loved. And let's just say I'm not getting any younger instead of talking about how I'm getting older, three years away from 50 as of this past October. So the title and of course synopsis of this one called to me. It still makes me feel old to have a character that is 45 years old with an adult daughter like Nick has, but I guess it's only true! Now, while I may not be quite the workaholic that Ruth is, I definitely get ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before even the end of the first chapter I was laughing my head off.

There is just something about Ruth and some of the embarrassing situations she gets herself into that are just so so amusing. Then again, really early on, there was a moment of high drama that shows that the author isn't just great with comedy, he can really amp up the adrenaline too.

That being said don't read the opening chapters on a plane if you are a nervous flyer!

I love Nick and Ruth, they are fabulous, complete and
ItaPixie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

This was such an enjoyable,entertaining and also thoughts provoking read.

Ruth and Nick have opposite personalities, they are like the yin and the yang.She is a ruthless,stressed workaholic. He is a relaxed, exterior designer who always takes time for himself. Ruth hires Nick to fix up her her backyard and the chemistry between them is clear since their first encounter even if the situation is also pretty funny. They are opposites but both of them miss Love in their lives and maybe this will be

Nursebookie
Oh my goodness!!! What a fantastic 5 star read!!

How does Rich Amooi do it - writing a woman's voice who is strong, confident and powerful. I absolutely loved this Rom/Com and kept me smiling the entire time I was reading this.

You will absolutely find yourself rooting for Ruthless Ruth the entire time - she is passionate and is absolutely kicking it at her consulting firm ran by men and on her way up to making partner.

Just like her success in her profession, she sees that making a business
Kim Cabanting
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time I start a book by Amooi, I know a few things will happen....I'll laugh, I'll fall in love with the characters, I'll be sad when the book is done, and I'll have a major book hangover. The characters are a little corny but oh so lovable. This story was no different. It might be my favorite of his thus far (I say that every time I read his books because its always true).
Jena Henry
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest, I did not like the title of this book. Although after reading and loving the whole story, perhaps it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. But still. Moving on from the title, everything about this book is fun, entertaining, positive, encouraging and a pleasure and a joy to read. Mr. Amooi’s bio on Amazon tells us that he writes Quirky Romantic Comedies from a Guy's Perspective.

So, let’s dive into this charmer, with a quick recap. The character pictured on the cover of the book is Ruth
Brennie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: november-reads
This book was clever and well written. It had lots of humor and the character development was excellent. This book is about Ruth who is a workaholic and who sacrifices everything for her job. She doesn’t even have time to realize how much happiness is missing from her life. Along comes Nick who has been hired to transform her garden into a relaxing, peaceful place for Ruth to unwind. He is very laid back and wise, doing what makes him happy. He is also peaceful, relaxed, kind, giving and very ...more
Vikkie Wakeham
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely hilarious read. I was initially attracted by the title and I am so glad I signed up for this one. It really is a hilarious read.

Ruth is brilliant, there’s just something about her that makes her extremely likeable and she has given me many laughs throughout the book.
I’m the first to admit, I favour female authors- this is my first read by Rich Amooi but it’s definitely not going to be the last. Everything about this book is fun and lighthearted.
I highly recommend this book
Silvi Martin
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not PMS, It's You is one of those books that makes me want to go to those places in San Diego and meet the characters. I've read and loved all of Rich Amooi's books, and this one is different. I know someone will make a movie of this book soon, since the love for romantic comedies is coming back and this could be the Notting Hill of Southern California in the 21st century.

I really enjoyed the depth, the characterization and the humor of this novel, and I can recommend it to anybody without
Holly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another fun 5 star read by Rich Amooi. The characters are likable and intelligent, the dialog witty and humor is fun. I enjoy that Rich gives us humor without being dumb or slap stick. Very refreshing!
Deborah J Miles
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour
Another very enjoyable, funny and entertaining read from Rich Amooi! I was hooked immediately and laughed out loud at the wedgie incident at the gym. Things like that do really do happen, especially when you're trying to look calm and in control.

The story is about two forty-somethings - Ruth Harper, a high flying, workaholic partner in a corporate takeover firm, and Nick Morris, a divorced landscape gardener who had to reevaluate his life choices after a heart attack.

Ruth is the only female
B.R. Maycock
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know, I know-those of you who know me and know how much I love Mr Amooi's book are already sighing and waiting for a gush about how fantastically amazing this book with be ... So, okay, I'll begin!!! We start off at an early morning exercise bike, where one of our leads, Ruth Harper, is trying to extricate her underpants from her rear (yes, this is blog has a certain standard to live up to;)) without the guy behind noticing. She sets the plan in action and then shows us what a kickass (dammit, ...more
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, contemporary
Laugh-out-Loud Romantic Comedy

I'll admit that the funny title and the rather strident-looking women on the cover pulled me into this book when I saw it at my favorite book review site. Then I noticed the author’s name. I was surprised to see a man’s name, as the book description definitely reads like a romance, which it definitely is. There are a few male romance authors that I read, but they are certainly rare compared to female romance writers. Given the title, I hoped he would not be making a
Dash fan
4 A Laugh Out loud, Endearing Romance!

I have to say that this books opening chapter has to be one of my favourites. It had me laughing out loud and grimacing all at the same time!
Just to give you a lil insight.... it involves... a spin class, a wedgie and a hunky stranger!

Ruth is a headstrong workaholic who knows what she wants, isn't afraid to go get it and don't let any man intimidate her.
But one thing is missing and that's a boyfriend.

So she decides to go jump right in on the dating scene,
Judith
Shelves: finished-reading
It started with a wedgie. I literally cried with laughter. In a very un-lady-like manner, I hollered, rather than laughed. He is just incredibly funny. I cried with laughter so hard, I was totally unable to read this book on any form of public transport. One guy stood up, vacating his seat next to me, probably thinking that I had escaped from a nearby funny farm. To avoid encountering prejudice, I suggest you read this book in a private setting.
Ruth’s airport encounter with the elderly lady was
Badass Lioness
I loved it. I have read a couple of other romance novels by this author, but this one captivated me. I was laughing out loud as I was reading it and admiring how the author kept the integrity of Ruth by her not losing herself for love. She was confident, successful, and independent, but she didn't want to give up her dreams as she believed her mother did to have her. I understood her motivation for working so hard and not allowing in anyone except for Dee, her work colleague.

Ruth decided to
Antonella
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kind of book: funny, witty and with deep feelings!!!

I have found a writer after my heart.
I love stories about strong and successful women. If those women have great personalities and a strong sense of humor, they're my favorite!
Ruth is 45 y. o. and single. She is also a perfectionist and competitive in her job. She knows what she wants in every aspect of her life... that's what she thought! Then an almost crash of her plane made her thinking again on what's more important.
So she discovers di
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read one of Rich Amooi books, There’s Something About A Cowboy, earlier this year and I just enjoyed it so much that when I saw the title for this one, I was just like ‘yes I must read that!’ After reading it’s not PMS it’s you, he is definitely one of my must read rom-com authors now.

Ruth is a workaholic who doesn’t care much about anything else but getting to the top and staying there. After a near death experience she decides she wants someone in her life. Her friend/assistant Dee helps her
Molly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Confronted with a mysoginist butthole, she tells him the truth: it’s not PMS. It’s you! Some males seem determined that a strong opinion from a woman must be hormonal.

When I shared the title of this amusing romantic comedy with my closest remaining gay guy friends, I thought they would laugh as much as I did. They survived a breast cancer scare and uterine cysts treatments with me. I was a complete hormonal nightmare through all of that, and after all the treatments, I was presented with a
Christie72
4.5 STARS

Ruth Harper seems to have it all...a great career and a beautiful home, yet she doesn’t spend her time nurturing her personal relationships, for example with her parents. Her only friend is her PA. She doesn’t do relationships or feelings….especially love. However, all that changes with one night on an airport runway, and she decides she wants more out of life, maybe even love.

She decides she will use the same methods to find love as she did to find success in the business world. Well,
Elisa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One thing I love about Amooi’s books is how relatable the characters are. They have their flaws. They make mistakes. They get into ridiculous situations. The men aren’t a misunderstood jerk whose heart is thawed by The One. The women aren’t obsessed with finding a man and are comfortable in their own skin. When the pair fall in love, it isn’t cheesy or trite. Nor is it Instalove. Instead it’s affection that stems from friendship. This book is no different.

She is a hardcore business woman who
Sara
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

Rich Amooi has a way with creating memorable characters, and he’s done it again with Ruth and Nick! Given Ruth’s priorities in life, I figured I’d have a difficult time in accepting the choices she makes, yet there is a vulnerable side to her that shows itself slowly within the pages and in her interactions with Nick. He begins to open her up, even when it goes against his own beliefs. I couldn’t disparage Ruth for wanting to go
Emily Pennington
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
There’s a lot to be said for that saying that “opposites attract” – and it can be quite interesting to see it come alive in a well-written, hilarious book!

Ruth Harper is a workaholic, but very content with her life. That is, until the worse day yet hits her – near-death experience and all the rest – and makes her realize that she doesn’t really want to be alone – she needs to find the “perfect man”. She has a definite vision of that man who must be a high-powered executive who fully understands
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruth is a 40 something single woman who is more worried about her career and roses, than in finding a HEA with a man. That is until she has a near death experience and realizes life is passing her by. All around here are happy couples, people with someone to share a happy life with, and she decides she wants a piece of that happiness. What she doesn't realize is, that happiness can be found in her own back yard.

Nick is a 40 something, divorced male had his own near death experience, and
Zena
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Someone once pointed put that I mainly read female authors, true and not intentional, but when I found Rich Amooi and read my first book of his, I fell in love with his crazy sense of humor and the way he describes things so that you get a vivid picture immediately.
Oh, I love this guy and what a story!
Wedgies during a gym class, dates that go horribly wrong, dancing to ABBA (they just happen to be one of my favorites), a dog that digs up the rose garden, a bunch of suits that need a bomb put

• Lucy Mathers Goes Back To Work: A romantic comedy about the trials and tribulations of returning to the workplace!
  • Naughty or Nice
  • The Event (The Creek Water Series, #1)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Three: Christmas
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Four: Starry Skies
  • The Stand-in
  • My Billionaire Fake Fiance: An Enemies to Lovers Stand Alone Holiday Romance
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Two: Sparks Fly
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
  • Reach for a Star
  • Call Me, Maybe: A hilarious, uplifting romcom with a love story that will make you swoon
  • Whisked Away (Paradise Bay #2)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part One: A Reunion
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • Ten Things My Husband Hated (Saffron Sweeting, #4)
  • Four Christmases and a Secret
  • Christmas Kisses on Hollywell Hill: Lose yourself in this festive, feelgood, winter romance with a touch of humour
  • Love Offline: Looking For Romance In Real Life
Quirky Romantic Comedies from a Guy's Perspective.

Rich Amooi is a former Silicon Valley radio personality and wedding DJ who now writes romantic comedies full-time. He is happily married to a kiss monster imported from Spain. Rich believes in public displays of affection, silliness, infinite possibilities, donuts, gratitude, laughter, and happily ever after.

JOIN RICH’S MAILING LIST