Start by marking “The Reluctant Witch (Santa Cruz Witch Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Witch (Santa Cruz Witch Academy, #1)

The Reluctant Witch (Santa Cruz Witch Academy, #1)

A girl who just wants to be invisible. A threat only she can stop. Will she leave the shadows to save her school?

Brie doesn't want to be a witch. Her grandma is infamous for almost destroying her small town in Calaveras County, and her mom is famous for saving it. Growing up in the shadows of two powerful witches, she knows that everyone is going to judge her for her
Kindle Edition
Published January 13th 2020 by Kristen S. Walker

Start your review of The Reluctant Witch (Santa Cruz Witch Academy, #1)
Billie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A young witch who just wants to be invisible. A beautiful mermaid who doesn’t belong. A secret relationship that threatens the entire academy.
Brie only agreed to try the witch academy to make her mother happy. She assumed she would learn Water magic. But when the students were assigned to their Elemental classes, she ended up in Earth. The list of reasons for her to leave the school keeps growing—her roommate is a bully, she doesn’t understand her classes, and everyone judges her for her
Carole
Who doesn’t want to be a witch? A YA fantasy

Bridget (call me Brie) is starting her first year at the Santa Cruz Witch Academy this year. Both her moms are witches, but Brie is not so enthused, although at least she will be close to the ocean and Monterey Bay. She gets moved into her room, and then things start getting messed up. Her roommate is a snot, plus she gets assigned to classes in Earth Magic, rather than Water Magic about which she is passionate, her service assignment is shoveling
sherri jones-teachout
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beware a mermaid’s song. Brie never wanted to go to witch school. She wanted to stay in human school and become an artist, but her mothers convinced her to try it for a year so she enrolled in Santa Cruz Witch Academy so she could be close to the ocean and surfboard. Her best friend Damien, also gay, is enrolled so she at least has one friend, because she doesn’t make friends easily. She is forced into Earth magic classes instead of what she really wanted was water magic, so because she has no ...more
Heather Quarnstrom
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked that Brie was such a down to earth girl that just wanted to be left alone. I also loved the fact that she was a lesbian was never blown to huge proportions like many books. I can't think of many books that have done this, and done this well. I loved the inclusiveness of her genderbending pansexual best friend as well. There have been more and more books that have been trying to do this, but not as well as this one.

The story itself is fantastic. It grips you and holds you tight. I
Angie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kristen S. Walker is a magical writer! This first book of a new series is another page turner, interestingly almost lyrical…full of unexpected events as we learn more and more of this different Earth-world and the beings who dwell there. Brie, our Reluctant Witch, is going to be a junior in high school who has two witch mothers, one of whom persuades her into attending “Witch School”. So she moves from a tiny California town in Calaveras County to coastal Santa Cruz, a magical place of natural ...more
Molly
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brie’s introduction to a Witch Academy is weighted by a number of things: Her family history- Grama and the Veil, both moms teachers; exploring her feelings for her first serious girlfriend- why are nice girls always targeted by twisted, manipulative bitches? Getting slotted into Earth Magic because of her mom’s skills when she really has more of an affinity for Water. And of course she has the fabulous Damien. A pansexual drag queen, he is exquisite beyond words, and a loyal friend when she ...more
Vicki
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found the beginning of this book a little difficult as it seemed to be very slow moving and too much about LGBT.
I stopped reading it for a couple of days and then decided that I would attempt to finish it.
About a third of the way through, I found that the plot really started to move along and I could not put it down.
I am glad that I returned to finish it as it was a good, interesting story after the detailed beginning.
I will be reading the other books in the series, I think.
I received this
Scarolet Ellis
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Reluctant Witch: Year One (Santa Cruz Witch Academy Book 1) by Kristen S. Walker is a wonderful story that I have read. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand series writen by a brand new author for me to read. I can not wait to read the next book and I highly recommend this wonderful story to everyone who loves reading about magic and witches.

I received a free copy of this book via Story Origin and am voluntarily leaving a review
Teri Griffis
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ebook from this author and Story Origin in exchange for an honest review. This is my first Kristen S. Walker book and probably will not be my last.

This book is so well written that the main character reminded me of my sister and her attitudes. When you want to blend into the background, what do you do when you know there is trouble brewing for the school. Do you come forward or stay in obscurity? The trials of a teenage witch. Enjoy!
Olivia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A strong start to a series.

Following the trials of Brie as she struggles through a school that she doesn't like, and nothing seemingly going her way.

The author has written a captivating book that is hard to put down. You feel the protagonist's struggle as she works though her troubles, but does not bog down the reader by dwelling.

Can't wait to read the next one.
Phthon
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That was soooooo much fun to read! I loved reading about Brie’s escapades and the struggles she had with her classes. I loved how when she just needed to she was able to connect with her magic and use it instead of fighting with it. It was just a wholly fun book to read!
Rebecca Brown
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful beginning to a new series. The characters are so good.
I really enjoyed reading this book...
Mary T
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witches
Good story that flows well.
First year at boarding school can be rough. Brie has chosen to go to witch school in Santa Cruz not the one that is local. Her friend Damian is also going to be there. She ends up with a not so pleasant roommate and not in the witchcraft field she wants. She makes friends with Gabriella, a mermaid. Brie ends up getting into trouble and almost doesn't get to stay at the school. She will be making up grades in summer school.
I received this book free as an ARC enjoyed it.
Kristen Walker
Oct 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Laylay
Hillary
Jan 22, 2020
Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extremely entertaining, captivating and interesting sexy read. I could not put it down. Wonderfully written with strong, intriguing characters. I want to read more from this author.

"I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book."

• Blood of a Promise (Kings of Sterling #1)
  • Switchback (A Patrick Flint Novel)
  • A Witch Called Red (Red Witch Chronicles #1)
  • The Witch of Nightmares: Dark Fairy Tales of Magic and Mystery (The Trouble With Hedge Witches Book 1)
  • Her Vampire Prince (Midnight Doms #3)
  • The Case of the Spirit Spell (Hillcrest Witch Mysteries #10)
  • Feral Claws (The Midnight Panther Chronicles, #1)
  • Of Water and Moonlight (Thunderbird Academy Book 1)
  • Awaken (Dark Paradise, #1)
  • Super Farty Pants!
  • Wild Goose Chase
  • Anchored (Anchored, #1-3)
  • Lowcountry Incantations
  • A Date with a Vampire (Love Bites, Paranormal Dating Agency Book 1)
  • Beyond the Deep (Mermaid Academy Book 1)
  • Two Lips, Indifferent Red
  • The Billionaire's Fake Fiance
  • Year One (Shifter Falls Academy, #1)
Kristen S. Walker is a fantasy writer, blogger, and geek from California.

She grew up in small towns in Northern California, running around barefoot in the woods and climbing trees with a notebook to write down stories. She lives with her family, including one rescued cat, in a house full of books.

She writes and self-publishes fantasy novels for teens and adults.