Start by marking “The Midwives of Lark Lane: An absolutely heartbreaking historical family saga” as Want to Read:
The Midwives of Lark Lane: An absolutely heartbreaking historical family saga

The Midwives of Lark Lane: An absolutely heartbreaking historical family saga

All’s fair in love and war… but what happens when the war is over?
After the heartbreak of World War Two, newlywed midwife Cathy hoped Liverpool life would offer some joy. But a terrible miscarriage and the escape of her abusive stepfather Jack from prison make happiness hard to find.

Meanwhile, Cathy’s beloved granny is ailing. Whilst at the hospital, Cathy sees her
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: December 13th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Midwives of Lark Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midwives of Lark Lane

Start your review of The Midwives of Lark Lane: An absolutely heartbreaking historical family saga
Terry Mitchell
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Midwives. Post-war England. Babies. It all sounds like a charming, gripping read, right? In some aspects it really was, but in others not so much. Let me explain…

I am going to start with the post-war England bit. Technically, yes, it is after WWII. I expected it to be much sooner after the war than it was, though, due to the book’s description. It’s actually set in the early 1960s. I’ll chalk that one up to my own mistaken preconceptions/expectations.

The story is told from the third-person point
Michelle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading the other Books in the Lark Lane series and the Mersey series I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this beauty.
Once again set in Liverpool now set in the 1960’s the story is centred more on Cathy, Alice’s daughter. In the start of the story Cathy is getting married to Gianni and her mother Alice is getting married to her new man in her life. Jack Dawson Cathy’s father is incastrated in Prison.
At first Cathy is excited to move in with Gianni in a new caravan while he works at the
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I have been patiently waiting for the next book from the author in the Lark Lane saga and have to say that now it’s finally here, it has been well worth the wait.

Over the course of these books, I feel like I’ve become one of the family with the characters. I’ve been with them through all the highs and lows and shared tears of joy and sadness. What a journey it’s been.

Whilst the focus has changed from Alice to her daughter Cathy in this book and the previous one, I like how we still get to catch
Sandra
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading about the family that live in and around lark lane Cathy and her mom alice have come a long way from the life they used to have.Cathy craves to continue training to become a midwife and join her friends but knows her life is with her husband at the fair.Life changes for cathy after she returns home to her family and friends she is happy in liverpool.When they find out jack is on the run they make sure they are all safe and are determined not to hide away.Pam Howes writes a ...more
Trish at Between My Lines

Engaging, warm hearted, family centred book about a lovely community.

Full review to follow.
Shirley
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wish comes true

I enjoyed reading The Midwives of Lark Lane. It appears this may be part of a series and I have not had the fortune to read the books which preceded it; however the author did a good job of filling in gaps on some of the characters.

The story follow Cathy, a midwife, Gianni her husband, and Lucy their daughter. The challenges of a newly married couple as they are separated at first while Gianni performs on the carnival circuit riding a motorbike and Cathy, a nurse, completes her
Sue Plant
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
would like to thank netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this book

if you are a fan of call of the midwives then this is the book for you....

cathy is training to be a midwife...though for a couple of years her training was on hold as she went and had a child out of wedlock...well it is the 60s..

but whilst doing her training she made a few friends and they all kept in touch...

cathy mom had married jack, a horrid man who had raped one of cathy friends whilst out looking for cathy...he
Becki Basley
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Midwives of Lark Lane by Pam Howes

We meet the main character Cathy as she is getting married to her baby’s father in a double ceremony with her mother and new stepfather. Her mother who had suffered through an abusive marriage previously now seems to have found happiness.

After a horrible miscarriage, Cathy leaves traveling with the fair with her new husband to become a midwife. There she and some of her friends plan to make a home for unwed mothers as well as an operating maternity clinic.
Kim
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How lovely to read the continuation of this lovely family. After reading all of the other books in this wonderful series, we now focus on Cathy, Alice's daughter.
After marrying her sweetheart Gianni along with their little girl Lucy they move into a new caravan with the fair. Whilst Gianni is enjoying riding the wall of death, Cathy is becoming restless and bored. She misses her family, friends and nursing career and longs to be back in Liverpool. Gianni notices her sadness and they come to a
Deanna Walker
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, netgalley
I absolutely loved it! Such a heartwarming stories about the babies aww!

I love how Cathy and her few friends who worked as a nurses and now, a midwife...it’s makes me mad that Jack Dawson had turned up and it was terrible person that he still is. He should be in jail if the cops caught him so hopefully next series should be good one as this book..

Looking forward to read more book soon...

Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for an honest review and advanced copy..
Kathryn Campbell
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An utterly fabulous read for me. This book is set in Liverpool in the early 60’s. There was nothing in this book that I didn’t enjoy. A great storyline and great characters which make for a perfect read. Once I started this book it was so hard to stop reading it as it’s so good. This is part of a series but I hadn’t read any of the previous books so these have now been downloaded to my kindle.
Annarella
It's the first book I read in this series and found it poignant and engrossing, an emotional rollercoaster that I couldn't put down.
I loved the background, the fleshed out cast of characters and the well crafted plot.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Leona
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read and absolutely loved the other books in this series I was really looking forward to this one which is book 4 in the series. Well yet again this is a super read. I was hooked from the very beginning. Being back with the families of Lark Lane is like coming home again. A massive 5 stars for me.
Elaine Binder
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read all of the books in this series, this was also enjoyable, and left open for another book in the series.
Bit confused by the ‘heartbreaking’ tag line though. Yes the were a couple of sad bits, but wouldn’t call it a heartbreaking story
Lou
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book in a great series. you will find yourselves once more on Lark Lane visiting with the lovely and sometimes not so lovely characters. Great read!!
Mrs L T Carver
Nov 28, 2019
Denise Schmidt
Dec 01, 2019

• The Other Daughter
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • The Lies We Hide
  • The Orphan Thief
  • Single
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • Christmas on the Home Front (Land Girls #3)
  • Woman on the Edge
  • Reckless Girl
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • The Shop Girls of Harpers (Oxford Street #1)
  • The Mark (The Working Girls #1)
  • Christmas at Tuppenny Corner
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • The Knock
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • A Precious Gift (Days of the Week #6)