Start by marking “Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)

Nocturna

(A Forgery of Magic #1)

Finn is een dief die haar gezicht met haar magie kan veranderen. Handig, maar daardoor kan ze zich bijna niet herinneren hoe ze er écht uitziet.

Alfie is een prins die nooit voorbestemd was om koning van San Cristobal te worden. Maar als zijn oudere broer wordt vermoord, verandert zijn lot voor altijd.

Finn en Alfie raken verwikkeld in een stormachtig
Published September 2019 by Moon (first published May 2nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Nocturna, please sign up.
Veronika It's mainly switching between two main characters, but there are also a few sections with POVs of other characters, I can count three others, but they…moreIt's mainly switching between two main characters, but there are also a few sections with POVs of other characters, I can count three others, but they are short and not that often. (less)

Start your review of Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
Teodora
2/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

Pretending I am on a gorgeous Caribbean beach, drinking coconut water and listening to some distant bachata music while reading this book and not actually reading it in my room far away from any beach within reach.

Well, now I’m glad I didn’t have it with me on any beach (or, truth be said, I didn’t go to any beach whatsoever).
The main reason for my affirmation: I DNF-ed this.

Yep, that’s right. Maybe it’s a surprise, but not a shock. The ones who have already read that know what I mean.

Nocturna is my firmean.

Full
Chaima ✨ شيماء
The book trailer is out and you can watch it here!

The day may come when I stumble upon a book with a pretty cover and not immediately add it to my TBR but it is not this day.

Also, this is set in a Latinx-inspired world and it's about a face-shifting thief and a prince with a magical doorknob that could lead him anywhere he desires. Take. My. Money.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
April Fairyloot Box. Click on the link under picture to see all of the goodies!

THE GOODIES

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!! I was hoping to love this book!! It’s so pretty inside and out, the pages had their own special magic BUT I didn’t like it much!! And I hated that one of the main charac
jessica
ugh. this is the third book in a row where i am just feeling so uninvested. is... is this what a reading slump feels like? im not quite sure how i feel about that, or this book, tbh.

from an objective standpoint, theres a bit going for this story. the latinx culture is fun and exciting and something i havent read a lot of (even if the plot is one i have - *cough* a darker shade of magic *cough*). the writing is impressive for a debut and the pacing is good with decent world building.

from a subjective view, gos
Angelica
I had hoped to love this book. And yet, somewhere deep in my little heart I knew, knew almost for certain, that I wouldn’t. That it was almost too good to be true.

Now I’ve read it and lo and behold, I did not, in fact, love this book.

Some of you may or may not know this about me, but I am Dominican. I was born and partially raised in The Dominican Republic, a small, Spanish speaking island in the Carribean, where the sun always shines and the beaches are always blue. So, to hear
Jessica McKenna
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Any unabashedly good reviews of this book must be from people who either have never read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic Trilogy, or who do not care when a book's entire plot is lifted from another source.

Several sources, in fact. Because beyond the egregious ripping-off of Schwab's trilogy, even the tiny, different details are often easily traceable back to other sources, from which they have just as blatantly been stolen and cobbled.

I've been annoyed at books before for s
Emily May

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🔮
Lea (drumsofautumn)
BIG OLD YIKES! It's hard for me to write this review because I really wanted to love this book and I was so excited to have a Fantasy book with an all Latinx cast.
Sadly, this book has one big issue that I need to talk about.

This book is about a prince and a thief in a magical world. The prince can travel from one place to another by making basically any wall a door. The thief steals something from the prince and they meet. The prince's cousin (who's like a brother to him) gets poison
Cinda
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, diverse, fantasy, blurbs
Welcome to San Cristobal, a Latinx kingdom laced with magic and grappling with homegrown treachery and a colonial past. When the true heir to the throne is assassinated, reluctant Prince Alfehr joins forces with a chameleon of a street thief to save the kingdom from an ancient evil. In the process, they may find a way to save each other.

Fantasy fans will embrace the creative worldbuilding and welcome these flawed and multi-layered characters into their hearts.
helena
FASCINATING!

i always wanted to read a latino-inspired ya fantasy. there are lots of fantasies inspired in europe or the us. even arabic-inspired. but i searched and searched for something latino, something like nocturna, and i never found it.
thankfully, maya motayne exists. and her book is AMAZING!

the world-building is incredible. i’m gonna be honest with you: when i started reading it, i couldn’t stop thinking that nocturna is actually a darker shade of magic, but in south america. but, as the story progressed,/>the
Dannii Elle
A face-shifting thief, who steals more than just food and coin to survive but also the faces of those she meets, and a prince, with a magical doorknob to lead him directly to wherever he wants in the world, combine in an unprecedented interweaving of fates.

The former, Finn Voy, seeks to escape the dark shadow dominating her past but finds herself with a new foe to duel with, when she aligns her plight with the Prince's. Prince Alfehr is not concerned with ruling the kingdom but only
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Finn is a shapeshifter, a thief and a trickster. She steals faces, loosing herself amongst the crowds to keep one step ahead. Until her luck runs out, and she’s forced to steal treasure or loose her powers forever. When her plans align with that of a forlorn prince, who holds the power of moving between worlds, she sets her sights on a prize worth taking, but is the risk worth the consequences?

The world building is both
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

LATINX WORLD! Yeah, so I've lived among Latin people for years and love the food, culture and language. It really excited me to read that we'd get a fantasy world inspired by a rarely seen culture. And come one... how can I not be excited for a character that can change their face!?

The Premise

When I started Nocturna I had totally forgotten what the premise had said about it. The only thing I remembered what that it was Latinx!! Right away I was captured by Prince Alfehr's passiface!?
TheWriter...
The
julia ♥
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read the full review on my blog : here!

"Magic could not speak, yet interacting with it felt like a conversation,
a dance, a story shared with a friend with the ending left up to interpretation."

2019 is just full of beautifully diverse fantasy releases, and Nocturna had been on my TBR since the beginning of the year. Imagine my delight when I received this book in one of my April subscription boxes (and this gorgeous special edition no less!) Of course I had to immediately dive into this book!

What is/>What
Renee Godding
2.5/5 stars

Rounded down for the complete lack of originality. This was very (very )standard tropish YA fantasy and I was a little disappointed. Nothing quite wrong with it but nothing special either...

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get exactly what I was expecting going into this book: a very standard, middle of the road YA-fantasy, that is entertaining enough but ultimately adds nothing new to the genre that we haven’t seen a million times before, if not better. That could pretty much(very
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review originally appeared on Happy Indulgence Books. Check it out for more reviews!

As someone who loves fantasy and diverse reads, the premise of Nocturna really interested me: a Latinx inspired world, a faceless thief and a prince with dark magic. I was definitely intrigued and really keen to pick this up for The Name of the Book club.

The beginning of the book starts with a bang, as we first meet Finn, the faceless thief who can mould her face into anyone else's and whos
Alaina
Ugh another book that I never reviewed or rated.

Nocturna was a book that I got from my Fairyloot box. I was really excited because the synopsis sounded amazing. Heck, I even got a buddy to read this with and yet - I feel like something was missing.

In it, you will meet Alfie and Finn. Alfie is the crown prince who goes into detective mode because he doesn't believe his brother is dead. Nope, so he goes out on an adventure to find magic and stuff. Then there's Finn, who is a thief an/>
Julie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DO. NOT. MISS. THIS.

“This searing, magical Latinx-inspired fantasy pulled me in from the first page and did not let me go. I loved adventuring with brave Alfie and brash Finn, and I held my breath until the end. NOCTURNA is a magnificent debut, powerful and true.”
- Julie C. Dao, author of FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
♠️ TABI ♠️
DNF @ p.183 because I'm learning when to accept that a book just isn't good enough.

description

So I was getting a sense of "I've read this kind of book before" along with noting how I wasn't getting the fierce, Latinx-soaked fantasy I was promised. Then I did some review reading and realized that I HAD read this before: A Darker Shade of Magic. And thus the woke realization that this was basically a fanfic version of ADS"I've
Danielle
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nocturna is by far, BY FAR, the worst book I have read this year. Granted, it's only March, but even if another book displaces this as my most despised of 2019, it will remain amongst the top three at the very least.

Basically, this book is just a Latinx , poorly written copy of the far superior A Darker Shade of Magic. WARNING: Spoilers ahead for both books, so beware!

Seriously, Finn is basically Lila Bard, Alfehr is a whiny amalgamation of Kell and Rhy, and Alfehr uses 'magic doors' to
Sea Reads
DNF at 35%.

Over-the-top similarities to A Darker Shade of Magic with a writing style I could not get into (loads of awkward and poorly placed info-dumping, telling instead of showing, etc.), and a Celaena Sardothien style female MC who swears all the time and that's how you're supposed to know that she's fierce. If I had a dollar for every time Finn's narration included "She'd be damned if..." in the first 35% of the book, it would probably be enough to buy the hardcover edition. ...more
Hollis
Man I'm really getting hit with a lot of these YA fantasy three star series starters right now. Not that three stars are bad, as we forever have to remind ourselves..

"Alfie says your trade is thieving goods, but you seem just as adept at thieving hearts."
"Was that as embarrassing to say as it was to hear?"

So much of this was so good! It's an #ownvoices fantasy set in a Latinx-inspired world, with a very interesting magic system, a face-changing thief, a prince in mourning and not dealing well with grief/>"Was/>"Alfie
Giselle
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
A fun read! A world very well developed, full of magic, darkness, and mystery. It's also unique and well thought-out. Action from start to finish with flawed characters who are an unlikely pair that end up being the perfect match. Full review to come.
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!).

DNF at 50% (and hence I will not rate it).

In a world ruled by different kinds of magic, Alfie is a Prince, Finn is a Thief and due to a dangerous card game, they end up meeting. Alfie knows privilege and abundance, Finn knows poverty and hunger, but although they're from different worlds, they both know pain, struggle, and loss.
Nocturna is a Latinx inspired Fantasy. I was so excited to be able to read it
Karima chermiti

Perfect for fans of A Darker Shade of Magic, Nocturna is a story that takes familiar YA fantasy elements and makes them addictive and fun. Truth to be told, I didn’t have great expectations going into the story but I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed and loved this book. There are definitely some flaws but it was a wild ride from start to finish and I can’t wait to read the sequel.

A fox does not wait for an invitation, he waits for an opening

Nocturna is set in a Latinx-based world and it revolves Al/>
Amanda
Wow I am really impressed. I am so glad that I didn't let this book slip past my radar because I hated the cover. I loved the magic system and all the heists.

Full review to come!!
Morgan
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2019 might end up being the year of disappointing books.

Nocturna was problematic yet I still found it entertaining, and I will admit that I enjoyed reading it. You might be wondering why such a low rating then? It's because I have a big problem with authors who take the exact story, plot, characters of a popular series that is loved by many. In this case, that series is A Darker Shade of Magic and Nocturna is a rip-off, water-downed version of ADSOM with a Latin element slapped on it.

To start
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Nocturna by Maya Motayne is a novel I had been highly anticipating since I first heard of its release, and I am happy to say it lived up to my expectations. I love the idea of a prince and a thief who steals faces so unique, and the main characters are well-developed. I also enjoyed the execution of the magic system and the originality of each person’s abilities. Nocturna is a book that is entertaining and compelling, and I would recommend it to fans of the fan
beth ✨
2.5

I enjoyed the writing and the author is very talented but the story just wasn’t for me. I didn’t care for the characters or the plot and skimmed most of the book, especially towards the end. I think this will be a favourite for some people but that sadly isn’t me.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect Page Numbering 13 41 Jul 10, 2019 07:50AM

• A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • The King's Questioner
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
Maya Motayne decided to be a writer when she was four years old and hasn’t stopped writing since. She lives in New York City where she pursues her passions of petting as many dogs as possible and buying purses based on whether or not they can fit a big book in them. Nocturna is her first novel.

A Forgery of Magic (3 books)
  • Oculta (A Forgery of Magic, #2)
  • Untitled (A Forgery of Magic #3)
“Who you are when you’re angry is still you. It doesn’t have to be all of you, but it’s a piece of you all the same. If you deny that, you might as well deny your whole maldito self and be done with it” 3 likes
“People like me, we’re ants, and rulers are just a big foot looming over us ready to squish us into the dirt. Doesn’t matter whose body the foot is attached to, the purpose is still the same.” 1 likes